test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Things that me as a player think that could improve STO in a practical and realistic way

I’m gonna leave this here, these are things I think STO needs,

LFG system: the only way to stop power creep is by making roles other than DPS viable, make more challenging enemies, abolish time limits, and make it clear that killing everything fast is not gonna get you victory, add to that gear lvls and role specific scoreboards, and we will have the greatest endgame in any MMO ever.

Rol optimized ships/gear: so far every ship/gear in game is used or forgotten based totally on how much DPS it can give you, give us the chance to buy stuff that will make us better tanks, healers, controllers, utilities, and DPSers, no need to change the marketing scheme since every rehash of ships has an engineer, science and tac shipp for each faction, so just instead of making them Engi, sci or tac, give them better Hull if for tanking, better energy for trolls/utility / heals and more damage bonus for DPSers.

Story missions: basically the same, Star Trek was based in every branch of the bridge giving their opinion and working together, not once have I seen an episode where "Fire everything without hailing" was an order given by a Captain, (maybe Janeway but still doubt it), Make it so the first thing you do when warping in is hailing the "enemies" or scanning for them, give us dialog options with our boffs so we can choose, e.g. a tactical option (overpower the enemy to disable NOT DESTROY, or transport a task force to board and take over the ship) Engineering (Disable engines, with some sort of wave or something), Science (Use technobabble via the deflector dish to stop the enemy), A counselor ( Use diplomacy, doesn't have to be an empath, just someone specialized in psychology, so we can discuss a peaceful solution), or avoid combat all together by using boff skills to outsmart the enemy.

Ground combat, treat ground combat as Space combat, give us a quick explanation of what we will face so we can choose our party based on their carries, e.g. we are facing the borg, send 3 Tac as security, an engineer that grab the Tac guys faster or constant remodulation, a medic or science guy to make sure that if anyone is infected they get magic space anti borg vaccine, and let us pick our 1st officer or a chief instead of our captain (possibly by costume changes just like the change from our ship to our captain form) , so that we can build each boff to do more than just give us repeat FAW in space.

PvP, Build escalated leagues, basically what they tried to do with the Klingon ranks but actually take the time to make it work, make it so that unless you have beaten say 20 pvp encounters in your lvl, you can't go against stronger players, once again GEAR LVLS.

Now that is what I have noticed and the solutions I propose based on what we already have in game, I might be terribly wrong, but hey they’re just the crazed ramblings of some fool.

Comments

• Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    otnedo wrote: »
    LFG system:

I'm not sure how it's going to stop power creep, and also not sure what has your suggestion to do with "Looking for Group" system, but having said that, those are some good thoughts.
    Rol optimized ships/gear:

That is... partly true, but that's just due to game design. Everything in this game requires you to kill enemy, preferably as fast as possible. Nevertheless, there are groups of people who have made absolutely amazing tanks, or healers, or controllers. But yes, I agree the DPS side is heavily prevalent.
    Story missions:

This is tough, cause every time something non-combat comes out, players whine that it's boring. I know I wouldn't personally mind it myself, but judging from the past reactions towards certain missions, I'd say this wouldn't be a popular suggestion.
    Ground combat,

Again, not sure how this is treating ground combat as space (which I would disagree with, if your suggestion actually were so), but I support your ideas outlined here.
    PvP, Build escalated leagues, basically what they tried to do with the Klingon ranks but actually take the time to make it work, make it so that unless you have beaten say 20 pvp encounters in your lvl, you can't go against stronger players, once again GEAR LVLS.

While I sympathize for people who actually would want to PvP, that ship has sailed long ago. Cryptic has tried to do *something* every now and then, but utterly failed every time. If there's something I'm never hoping to see in this game, it's playable PvP.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Not interested in making STO another heavily role based trinity reliant game.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    Not interested in making STO another heavily role based trinity reliant game.

This. Most trinity reliant games I have ever played are extremely difficult for a solo player. They almost have to be to avoid being a total cake walk for team play. While I wouldn't mind STO leaning just a bit more towards trinity style play, going too far in that direction would totally obliterate one of the things I love so much about the game to begin with.

Don't get me wrong. it's absolute loads of fun playing trinity style with a decent team. Playing a healer, trying to manage just the right spells to keep the entire team alive while not overdoing it and pulling aggro so you don't get reminded just how squishy you are. playing a DD, selecting just the right enemy to maximize casualties while still watching over your healer to save their squishy backside if they do pull aggro. Playing a tank....I sucked at tanking so I really have no clue there lol

The problem is, you basically had to have a decent team to play most of the game content. Missing even one the of the three arms of the trinity made large portions of game play practically impossible.

Of course that's all just my opinion.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Rol optimized ships/gear: so far every ship/gear in game is used or forgotten based totally on how much DPS it can give you, give us the chance to buy stuff that will make us better tanks, healers, controllers, utilities, and DPSers, no need to change the marketing scheme since every rehash of ships has an engineer, science and tac shipp for each faction, so just instead of making them Engi, sci or tac, give them better Hull if for tanking, better energy for trolls/utility / heals and more damage bonus for DPSers.
    Funny thing is, much of this exists in the game. For example, subsystem power levels, which you can adjust to suit your needs, and the batteries which complement them. Do you use a lot of science abilities? Those scale with aux power, so it might be worth trading weapon power to boost that. Also, consumables in the form of batteries and the like...
    Ground combat, treat ground combat as Space combat, give us a quick explanation of what we will face so we can choose our party based on their carries, e.g. we are facing the borg, send 3 Tac as security, an engineer that grab the Tac guys faster or constant remodulation, a medic or science guy to make sure that if anyone is infected they get magic space anti borg vaccine, and let us pick our 1st officer or a chief instead of our captain (possibly by costume changes just like the change from our ship to our captain form) , so that we can build each boff to do more than just give us repeat FAW in space.
    I'm not sure how helpful this would be for you, but I will point out that you do have some control over your boffs' behavior and use of abilities, and there is for most ground encounters a pause function (whose time limit should be banished entirely); in concert, this can make ground combat a realtime-with-pause affair akin to games like Tyranny. The problem? Much of this isn't explained well ingame...