test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Random Task Force Operations... SOLD!!!

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Based on the current version on tribble random STF is due to the changes to normal queues going to stop me being able to log in every moaning and playing a quick short daily queue of my choice. The feature is counter productive and makes playing queues harder for me to the point where I am no longer going to be able to play queues I want to play in my short time slot.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Also, it's tribble. This system is of course horrible with a greatly reduced server population.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited September 2018
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Since they are not removing the ability to queue for individual missions I call BS on this whole post.
    Instead of calling BS you should pay more attention to what has been changed. They are removing the ability to queue for your favourite missions while seeing there is a short start time.

Which causes major problems for people like more who do 1 quick mission every morning. I log in almost every day and do one quick queue out of my favourite list. If I have to wait 5+ mins to start a queue I do not have time to play and so skip that queue for that day over another one I like. So I carefully select the morning mission based on if I like that mission and the wait timer. Now that is impossible I will go from getting one nice queue every morning to at times getting zero queues done. Random STF doesn't seem to drop people in the queues I play.

Basically the changes random STF bring means I get to play less of my favourite queue which I am really not happy with. If I cannot see and pick based on the wait timer there is no point me playing queues every day and no point in me logging in every day.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    "Oh, no! People aren't being forced to do what I want! Everything is terrible now!!!"

Or, y'know, you could learn to enjoy doing something else with your limited time...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Since they are not removing the ability to queue for individual missions I call BS on this whole post.
    jonsills wrote: »
    "Oh, no! People aren't being forced to do what I want! Everything is terrible now!!!"

Or, y'know, you could learn to enjoy doing something else with your limited time...
    So your solution is basically saying stop playing Star Trek and leave due to random STF’s not allowing me to select a doable mission to play?
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User

Good to know some people around here never change. Or cannot help themselves.

I'm not asking people to do what I want, (insert word or phrase guaranteed to get me permabanned HERE), I am stating my opinion. On both why I don't bother with some of the queues as they are right now and the Totally Fubarred Operations "feature".

I left this forum because there are far too many people whose preferred method of disagreement with someone is to take childishly cheap shots to amuse the people in the audience rather than attempt to show me why my opinion may not be the correct one. Using logic and reason. Two other words alot of people around here are not familiar with.

Welcome to the InterWebz. I should have known better than to come back here. Won't make that mistake again.

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Good to know some people around here never change. Or cannot help themselves.
    Yeah people keep doing the chicken little routine any time something gets changed. THIS is apparently the reason Pottsey has decided he no longer feels like doing TFOs:
    If I cannot see and pick based on the wait timer there is no point me playing queues every day and no point in me logging in every day.
    I wonder if he knows how meaningless the displayed timer actually is?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited September 2018
    THIS is apparently the reason Pottsey has decided he no longer feels like doing TFOs:
    If you think that’s the reason you have misread what has been written. It is not that I no longer feel like doing TFO’s. It is I want to keep doing TFO’s but am no longer able to choose the ones doable in the time I have left so am forced to skip doing any TFO’s. All due to a feature that is meant to improve queues but is in fact making them worse for me. It is not a chicken little routine, it is a real problem.

“I wonder if he knows how meaningless the displayed timer actually is?”
    It is not meaningless it’s an estimated timer. When zero people are waiting or 5+ mins estimated time is listed it tends to mean it will take a long time to start. I avoid those queues as they will go over the time I have left. That is now impossible to avoid. There is zero way now to work out which queues I can run and which queues I need to avoid. Which leaves me stuck unable to do my daily queue.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Well the lack of the “Queued” column on Tribble looks like it’ll fix the dead queue issue at least.

Can’t tell they are dead if you can see how many people aren’t NOT playing them.
    SulMatuul.png
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    “I wonder if he knows how meaningless the displayed timer actually is?”
    It is not meaningless it’s an estimated timer. When zero people are waiting or 5+ mins estimated time is listed it tends to mean it will take a long time to start. I avoid those queues as they will go over the time I have left. That is now impossible to avoid. There is zero way now to work out which queues I can run and which queues I need to avoid. Which leaves me stuck unable to do my daily queue.
    "Estimate" is just a fancy word for guess. The real situation is that you don't need to avoid any queue. If you want to play the queue that pops the fastest you can just join all of them and whatever pops fastest will be the one to pop.

This new random queue probably ends up working like that, too. Except it won't actually include all of them.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Potts, you are asking people to do what you want. That's what complaining about your favorite content maybe not starting in the future means - you're afraid other people will start having so much fun running random TFOs, they won't feel forced to run the content you prefer any more.

And my suggestion isn't necessarily to leave this game. You know, there are a lot of things to do in here besides just a tiny handful of STFs/TFOs. Try playing them. Learn to enjoy them. If you can't, then maybe this game really isn't for you any more. Only you can answer that question.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Potts, you are asking people to do what you want. That's what complaining about your favorite content maybe not starting in the future means - you're afraid other people will start having so much fun running random TFOs, they won't feel forced to run the content you prefer any more.

And my suggestion isn't necessarily to leave this game. You know, there are a lot of things to do in here besides just a tiny handful of STFs/TFOs. Try playing them. Learn to enjoy them. If you can't, then maybe this game really isn't for you any more. Only you can answer that question.
    If he wanted to do something other than ISA all day every day he could become a Foundry author. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    I tried my hand at the Foundry one time...

Had this idea inspired a bit by Pacific Rim...

Couldn't figure out how to do anything. lol
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    “Potts, you are asking people to do what you want. That's what complaining about your favorite content maybe not starting in the future means - you're afraid other people will start having so much fun running random TFOs, they won't feel forced to run the content you prefer any more.”
    Completely wrong. First I am not asking anyone else to do what I want and I am not forcing people to run content I prefer. 2nd I am worried that due to the changes I am not longer able to see which queues I have time to play and which queues I do not have time for. Other people having fun has nothing to do with this. The problem is I am not longer able to join in with them.

Right now I can see who is playing what queue and so I can join in if it’s one I like and one I have time for. After the change it doesn’t matter if other people are having fun in that content. I cannot see they are having fun and so cannot join in.

Or to spell it out differently I have a short list of queues I like and are short enough to run like CE. When other people are running it I join in. When other people are not running it I give it a miss that day in exchange over something else. Random STF doesn't tend to dump people in the queues I play leaving me unable to play queues even with the people who are not taking part with random STF. The problem is not about which content people are playing. It is about the tools are being taken away from us to see what content other people are playing and to join in.

For example events are not part of random STF and if I queue normal Breach today I would have failed to get my event run as there are zero people queuing up for it. If I put it up to advance I can see its has more players and join in and I can do the daily event. After random STF this will be impossible for me to do as all that information is hidden.

You did at least pay attention to the bare facts that the random queueing method will fill missions that players queueing individually are waiting on right? So this fear that random queuers will mean less queueing for your preferred mission is misplaced as if you are selecting the specific mission and randoms are waiting, well you just gave them a mission, and you gave them one.
    There is also the plain fact that comparing queue activity on tribble to holodeck is just not valid in anyway. Only a fraction of a fraction of players will ever go to tribble, and you can't be on tribble and holodeck at the same time. Maybe 1 or 2 out of a hundred holodeck players will ever bother to go on holodeck.
    You misread my posts again I already explained to you that the queues I tend to play do not pull down random STF’s players and I have no way anymore once the random STF changes arrive to see if none random STF players are taking part. Leaving me unable to work out if I can play the queue or not. The Breach event is a perfect example with the random STF changes I am unable to tell when I can run it or not.

edited September 2018
    Pottsey, I'm frankly amazed anyone can be that blitheringly dumb.
    Out of the 30+ queues that do not draw from random STF have 4 people in one group on tribble queue up for the same mission. Get a 5th person in a different group with no knowledge of the first group and get that 5th person only using the queue system to join them.

If the current live system was still on tribble it would take the 5th player aprox 10seconds, 30seconds at most to find that active group and play the mission. But on tribble due to the changes it is now impossible to get the 5th person to join those 4 active players apart from out of sheer luck. Is that clear? Do you see how the random STF changes makes it harder to join in with a mission for those 30+ queues?

EDIT: Made the post less aggressive, sorry.
    Post edited by pottsey5g on
    Dude... chill out. No need to bite people's heads off!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    I believe it IS Kurland! Kurland IS here!
    edited September 2018
    Dude you're trying it on Tribble with an extremely limited number of players and it's in an unfinished State expecting it to behave the same way when it goes to Holodeck is just asinine. unless the mission that you want to queue up for is one of the ones that is excluded from the random list or if it's one of the elites which are also excluded from the random list then yes the randoms will fill your queue and if you are playing Elite guess what most of them random people wouldn't have been queuing for elite to begin with so it's not going to affect how many people are queuing for elite.
    The limited amount of players doesn’t matter as the problem of the 30+ queues being harder to join and play shows up the same if you have few or lots of players. Which is why I am trying to explain how the 30+ queues are harder to join so the change can be undone or tweaked by the time it goes to holodeck.

If it does go out in the same state it is right now then many Elites will be harder to take part in.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Pottsey, I'm frankly amazed anyone can be that blitheringly dumb.
    Out of the 30+ queues that do not draw from random STF have 4 people in one group on tribble queue up for the same mission. Get a 5th person in a different group with no knowledge of the first group and get that 5th person only using the queue system to join them.

If the current live system was still on tribble it would take the 5th player aprox 10seconds, 30seconds at most to find that active group and play the mission. But on tribble due to the changes it is now impossible to get the 5th person to join those 4 active players apart from out of sheer luck. Is that clear? Do you see how the random STF changes makes it harder to join in with a mission for those 30+ queues?
    Well, I had to patch Tribble and go see for myself, but I think I get what you were talking about now. And it looks like your issue has absolutely nothing whatsover to do with the random queues system, but with Cryptic once again "improving" the queue UI by removing relevant information, this time the number of players waiting in a queue. Trying to pretend the queues aren't all empty, I guess.

If you want to give them feedback on the missing UI elements, I recommend saying so, preferably in a thread of it's own since it's kinda off-topic here. In the Tribble feedback forums maybe? Someone in charge might actually read it there.

On the other hand, as I advised previously, there is no limit to how many queues you can join so you can just click join ALL the queues that you want to play and if there is 4 other people waiting in one it'll pop. It's not strictly necessary to look for them in advance.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    it's in an unfinished State expecting it to behave the same way when it goes to Holodeck is just asinine.

Past performance would say, he is not wrong. Stuff went from Tribble to Holodeck without fixes before. Even though "testers" told them the problems exist.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
This discussion has been closed.