test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Would have been nice, but they're with Paramount.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Would have been nice, but they're with Paramount.

I know. That's why I have a little bit of a problem with DSC and TKT being set in the same timeframe.

Any character who was born prior to 2233 should look the same in both realities. In this case it's Sarek, Spock, and Pike who spring to mind. But there's other little niggles.
    • Like the sister ships of the Kelvin. The Newton and so on were the majority of the fleet around ESD in 09 and we're never going to see those ships in DSC.
    • The deaths of George Kirk and the crew of the Kelvin were the impetus for the timeline change so exploring their fates as they survived would be a great plot.
    • Krell and the Franklin have been lost since ENT, DSC could come across them.
    • Is Marcus Commander Starfleet in the Prime Timeline, if not, why not? He had a major hate for the Klingons (he was planning on committing genocide on them in ID) and what was his (and S31s) role in the Klingon War?
    • Those bloody awsome looking Klingons. Why aren't all Klingons wearing badass greatcoats.
    • Why do the KonsTitution and Dreadnought classes fire red bolts but the Discovery fires blue bolts? (okay that one's not really important but it does bug me, especially when the NX and Kelvin both fired red/orange beams).

Though you say it's because TKT is with Paramount. True, but the NX and so on are with CBS but a model of it appeared in ID. They obviously can work things out and CBS is the ultimate IP owner anyway. They still have a measure of control over Paramount according to Abrams speaking on the development of TKT.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »
    Like the sister ships of the Kelvin. The Newton and so on were the majority of the fleet around ESD in 09 and we're never going to see those ships in DSC.
    I admit those designs should be in both timelines. And in my own headcanon they are. We just don't see them on screen. Kinda like we hear about other ships in TOS but never saw anything other than a Connie.
    The deaths of George Kirk and the crew of the Kelvin were the impetus for the timeline change so exploring their fates as they survived would be a great plot.
    It would, but then we might have the problem of Discovery living under the shadow of TOS. Probably best to let Discovery have her own adventures without intertwining her with the fate of multiple TOS officers. What we're getting now is fine, but we run the risk of trying to one up Kirk or something if we try and bring a Kirk in. Having Pike take command is fine because really the only thing we know about his career is Talos IV. And they apparently named a Medal after him.
    Krell and the Franklin have been lost since ENT, DSC could come across them.
    Very true. As of right now the Franklin is still listed as MIA in the Prime Timeline.
    Is Marcus Commander Starfleet in the Prime Timeline, if not, why not? He had a major hate for the Klingons (he was planning on committing genocide on them in ID) and what was his (and S31s) role in the Klingon War?
    Well... don't forget that Discovery takes place years before TOS, and also the Kelvin Timeline movies. At least 2-3 years before 09. We have to consider that full on war may not have broken out in the Kelvin Timeline because of the Narada. Tensions were high, but the Klingons were too busy studying the Narada. And then in 09 they had their own version of Wolf 359 and lost a whole fleet when the Narada escaped. Marcus may be an admiral and connected with S31 in the Prime Timeline as well, but may not have had the resources Kelvin Marcus had because of the Narada.
    Those bloody awsome looking Klingons. Why aren't all Klingons wearing badass greatcoats.
    Those were pretty cool, and probably a bit more in line with Prime Universe Klingon outfits. But we also have to consider that we mostly saw members of a few Great Houses. Its entirely possible that when the Empire gets more unified, we'll start to see more familiar designs.
    Why do the KonsTitution and Dreadnought classes fire red bolts but the Discovery fires blue bolts? (okay that one's not really important but it does bug me, especially when the NX and Kelvin both fired red/orange beams).
    TOS phasers were blue, so that lines up with established canon. I view the Vengeance and Kelvin Enterprise firing red bolts as a result of reverse engineering scan data from the Narada, which resulted in some more advanced, and a bit more militaristic, tech. Remember that the Kelvin was firing both red and blue. If the blue bolts were torpedos or not I don't know. Because of the Narada, Starfleet in the Kelvin Timeline developed more powerful weapons, and advanced a bit farther, than the Prime Timeline. My headcanon is that it pushed Starfleet ahead by a couple decades, putting the Kelvin Enterprise more in line power wise to the Prime Enterprise-A. That helps get around the jellybean button consoles and skipping right to touchscreens. BUT if we consider that Starfleet already had touchscreens as seen on Discovery... then maybe we can shave a decade off.
    Though you say it's because TKT is with Paramount. True, but the NX and so on are with CBS but a model of it appeared in ID. They obviously can work things out and CBS is the ultimate IP owner anyway. They still have a measure of control over Paramount according to Abrams speaking on the development of TKT.​​

I don't think they're mutually exclusive of each other. Remember that the Kelvin Timeline branches off in 2233. Until that point, both timelines were the same. Everything that happened before that is shared. In Beyond, there is mention of the Xindi conflict and the MACOs. Both were established in Enterprise. in Enterprise, and backed up in Discovery, we see the USS Defiant in the Mirror Universe. Now this particular event probably makes the water a bit muddy. BUT... the existance of the Kelvin Timeline doesn't automatically assume the existance of a Kelvin Mirror Timeline. So the Kelvin USS Defiant may fare better than her Prime Universe counterpart.

So while the Kelvin Timeline can reference things in Enterprise, they can't really reference anything from any time period after 2233.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    I admit those designs should be in both timelines. And in my own headcanon they are. We just don't see them on screen. Kinda like we hear about other ships in TOS but never saw anything other than a Connie.

We barely see the same ship twice in DSC though which was my point. We've already seen 100% of all Starfleets TOS era ships in DSC by the end of series one but it'd lend some familiarity to the era.
    It would, but then we might have the problem of Discovery living under the shadow of TOS. Probably best to let Discovery have her own adventures without intertwining her with the fate of multiple TOS officers. What we're getting now is fine, but we run the risk of trying to one up Kirk or something if we try and bring a Kirk in. Having Pike take command is fine because really the only thing we know about his career is Talos IV. And they apparently named a Medal after him.

It's not Kirk so much but Robu I was thinking about. Like Georgiou he made a big impression on me despite very limited screen time.
    Well... don't forget that Discovery takes place years before TOS, and also the Kelvin Timeline movies. At least 2-3 years before 09. We have to consider that full on war may not have broken out in the Kelvin Timeline because of the Narada. Tensions were high, but the Klingons were too busy studying the Narada. And then in 09 they had their own version of Wolf 359 and lost a whole fleet when the Narada escaped.

True. And they've also managed to explode Praxis decades early.
    My headcanon is that it pushed Starfleet ahead by a couple decades, putting the Kelvin Enterprise more in line power wise to the Prime Enterprise-A. That helps get around the jellybean button consoles and skipping right to touchscreens. BUT if we consider that Starfleet already had touchscreens as seen on Discovery... then maybe we can shave a decade off.

I've never bought the KT ships being any more advanced. Visually they only look marginally shinier than the Kelvin or NX but now with DSC they fit in even better to the era. And they are possibly faster (the Dreadnought certainly is) but they have worse shields than the TOS Conni did. We never see them firing on big ships (other than when the Vengeance shreds the Enterprise) so it's very difficult to gauge their actual power levels.
    I don't think they're mutually exclusive of each other. Remember that the Kelvin Timeline branches off in 2233. Until that point, both timelines were the same. Everything that happened before that is shared. In Beyond, there is mention of the Xindi conflict and the MACOs. Both were established in Enterprise. in Enterprise, and backed up in Discovery, we see the USS Defiant in the Mirror Universe. Now this particular event probably makes the water a bit muddy. BUT... the existance of the Kelvin Timeline doesn't automatically assume the existance of a Kelvin Mirror Timeline. So the Kelvin USS Defiant may fare better than her Prime Universe counterpart.

So while the Kelvin Timeline can reference things in Enterprise, they can't really reference anything from any time period after 2233.

Oh I know all that. It's just that ENT is owned and covered by CBS' IP in the same way all the rest are. If TKT could use ENT because it was set before it automatically then they'd be nothing stopping DSC from using anything in TKT made prior to 2233. However I think it's more likely Paramount had to arrange to use ENT visuals.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I headcanon the KT red bolts as actually being more primitive, why Indon't know. Probably because of the militarisation causing a 'quantity over quality' approach. The TOS connie's blue scree! phasers being highly accurate and powerful, KT 'gatling' style pulses are scattershots hoping to paint the target in random hits. The Kelvin used beam-ish phasers which I think are NX style beam turrets lookimg a bit spiffier. The KT never went "blue".
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Actually... rapidfire bolts makes sense if we consider the data and stories brought back by the Kelvin crew of Narada's weapons. Pinpoint accurate Phaser beams can't shoot down massed shrapnel torpedos. So... a countermeasure would be to make a weapon system capable of pinpoint accuracy AND throwing up a "flak screen". Result: Rapid fire Pulse Phasers.
    Its not a crude design. Its a natural response to a devastating weapon. The Kelvin couldn't fight them off. Enterprise was able to shoot down a whole cluster.

The main weakness of Kelvin Timeline Shields seems to be massed physical objects though. Enterprise took damage from the Narada's torpedos because it was mid 23rd Century shields vs late 24th Century Borg Enhanced weapons. The drone ships in Beyond were basically the equivelent of a Japanese Zero going Kamikaze on an aircraft carrier times 100 at least.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    NO shields can withstand thousands of objects traveling at near-lightspeed slamming into them​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    khan5000 wrote: »

I thought they always talk about, but never show Spock pig-2.gif At least, that's not the case.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    HOLY SHTAKO!
    Grandson of Gregory Peck, AND he kinda looks like Nemoy?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    HOLY SHTAKO!
    Grandson of Gregory Peck, AND he kinda looks like Nimoy?
    Also has a great voice.

https://youtu.be/8fKzk3oa-eA?t=1m8s
    (Though totally ignore the moderators...)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    I'll wait to see him in makeup with the hair, ears, and eyeshadow but he looks okay I guess. Not as good as their Pike but leagues better than their attempt at Sarek.

Gods, I hope they recast Sarek and play the one we've had so far off as Sybok impersonating him.​​

#TASforSTO

> @artan42 said:
    > I'll wait to see him in makeup with the hair, ears, and eyeshadow but he looks okay I guess. Not as good as their Pike but leagues better than their attempt at Sarek.
    >
    > Gods, I hope they recast Sarek and play the one we've had so far off as Sybok impersonating him.​​

Only if he also has a little god-face on a string floating like a balloon next to him. It's a reference. People go crazy for reference.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:
    > I'll wait to see him in makeup with the hair, ears, and eyeshadow but he looks okay I guess. Not as good as their Pike but leagues better than their attempt at Sarek.
    >
    > Gods, I hope they recast Sarek and play the one we've had so far off as Sybok impersonating him.

Only if he also has a little god-face on a string floating like a balloon next to him. It's a reference. People go crazy for reference.

Nobody would love a reference to STV. Nobody.​​

#TASforSTO

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:
    >
    > Gods, I hope they recast Sarek and play the one we've had so far off as Sybok impersonating him.

Nobody would love a reference to STV. Nobody.​​

Somehow I think it has nothing to do with STV and one of Peck's previous works.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ST5 is canon, obviously they're not going to pretend it never happened.... no matter how much people think the idea was dumb.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    ST5 is canon, obviously they're not going to pretend it never happened.... no matter how much people think the idea was dumb.

Why? Who said that?

#TASforSTO

Well... Pike is a decorated Starfleet Captain, and commanding officer of the Enterprise.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    With the amount of makeup required for Discovery Klingons and so little of the actor's face showing, it makes far more sense for the Discovery Klingons to have been CGI rather than actors that have difficulty moving.
  • reafisreafis Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    It does, that's my biggest gripe with discovery Klingons. The mouth and the eyes are all that actually moves. Actors like Saru can do it as they know how to counter the latex. None of the Klingons really do.
    Shiny...
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru
    reafis wrote: »
    It does, that's my biggest gripe with discovery Klingons. The mouth and the eyes are all that actually moves. Actors like Saru can do it as they know how to counter the latex. None of the Klingons really do.

L'rel and Kol did pretty well. I'd agree they need to improve on the mobility of the face makeup though.
    Its possible that they will improve the makeup over time. I mean how many changes did Worf go through before we got the final version as seen in the later seasons of TNG and then DS9?

I mean... they changed his looks a lot.
    latest?cb=20180906192940&path-prefix=en
    latest?cb=20180907022953&path-prefix=en

They'll improve the prosthetics. I'm sure of it. Actor feedback combined with other factors will help.
This discussion has been closed.