test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Play Random TFOs with the Devs!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
This Wednesday, join us on our test server, Tribble, to play the brand new #AgeofDiscovery Random Task Force Operations with Star Trek Online's Developers!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10998883

Comments

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    judging from the comments on random TFOs in the forums, on bort's twittard and STOs official twittard....
    have you passed out asbestos suits to the dev? or just disabling chat functions?
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    judging from the comments on random TFOs in the forums, on bort's twittard and STOs official twittard....
    have you passed out asbestos suits to the dev? or just disabling chat functions?

Lol, yeah, I was going to say something very similar but no need now.

I cannot see that live stream being pleasant for the folks from Cryptic who will be involved.

I wish you good luck. You'll need it.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Pretty sure Bort has been building up an immunity to it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EkBuKQEkio
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I'm not a fan of how they announced this newest feature, TFO, nor how it seems unthought-out, but this should be part of the process when introducing any new feature, pass or fail, so this is good. I'm sure they are thick-skinned so sticks & stones as the saying goes.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Roast a dev for me all who tribble! This is a good idea implemented badly so I hope you guys make it clear that in its current form the tfo format will fail abysmally
  • torharrytorharry Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    My gamelauncher shows this event as "Play Random Task Force Operations with the Devel....", which obviously is a mispelling of "Devil".
    I'm a bit worried.
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    4PM PT ?!?

Well that is 4+9=is 1AM night in Europe. Or even later in other area's. Thats not very nice to customers in other regions.

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Another vote for good idea but implanted badly. We do not want Randoms forced onto us when queueing for a none random match.
    totenmet wrote: »
    4PM PT ?!?

Well that is 4+9=is 1AM night in Europe. Or even later in other area's. Thats not very nice to customers in other regions.
    While I am strongly against the unfair flash sales being at those times. In this case it is perfectly reasonable. The devs shouldn't have to stay behind late after work beyond the hours they are paid to work to do a play with the devs feature. It makes sense for the play with the devs to be within the devs normal working hours.
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    4PM PT ?!?

While I am strongly against the unfair flash sales being at those times. In this case it is perfectly reasonable. The devs shouldn't have to stay behind late after work beyond the hours they are paid to work to do a play with the devs feature. It makes sense for the play with the devs to be within the devs normal working hours.

No it is not reasonable.

Customers FIRST

Without customers, dev's get no salary.

Choosing times as they do, best fitting their own needs, is very selfisch and not customer friendly as I said.
  • treking2treking2 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    My thoughts so far are:
    1. Using a random system to help complete queue requirements quicker is a great idea.

2. Not being able to specify Normal/Advanced or Ground/Space is a terrible idea.
    - Not every player is geared for Advanced, regardless of level.
    - As long as Active Space Traits share slots with Active Ground Traits,
    and as long as you can only change your specialization (eg: Pilot vs Commando) in a Social Zone,
    you NEED to be able to select if you want to do a ground or a space mission.

3. When are we going to be able to queue cross faction teams (Fed+Klingoin) together without making it a private match?
    For goodness sake, the Feds and the Klingons have been working together for many many seasons now.
    Please let us team up together for a non-private match, and fill the rest with randoms from either faction.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @totenmet said:
    > pottsey5g wrote: »
    >
    > totenmet wrote: »
    >
    > 4PM PT ?!?
    >
    > Well that is 4+9=is 1AM night in Europe. Or even later in other area's. Thats not very nice to customers in other regions.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > While I am strongly against the unfair flash sales being at those times. In this case it is perfectly reasonable. The devs shouldn't have to stay behind late after work beyond the hours they are paid to work to do a play with the devs feature. It makes sense for the play with the devs to be within the devs normal working hours.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No it is not reasonable.
    >
    > Customers FIRST
    >
    > Without customers, dev's get no salary.
    >
    > Choosing times as they do, best fitting their own needs, is very selfisch and not customer friendly as I said.

Good thing you're not feeling entitled or anything.

Oh dear, sometimes I'm ashamed to be a part of this community.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Choosing times as they do, best fitting their own needs, is very selfisch and not customer friendly as I said.
    Where are the majority of their customers? The US. So the chosen time is actually convenient for the majority of players.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    4PM PT ?!?

Cryptic studios is a US based developer and this is occurring within their business hours, just as with every Ten Forward Weekly. You can catch up on the antics via the "video" section of twitch (saves the streams) and you can check out the European side of the STO community (CM: Nevandon) for events set closer to your local time.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    4PM PT ?!?

No it is not reasonable.

Customers FIRST

Under certain circumstances, you would be right, the customer should come first. But businesses have business hours and they do their work during those hours.

Do you complain because you go to a store at 3am, find it's been closed since 9pm and bang on the door anyway, demanding to be let in? You're a customer and the customers needs should "always" come first. No, not always.

While it can be argued the game is a 24 hour a day service, the only people that need to be available 24/7 are customer support. The Devs are NOT customer support.

Look, if you're not willing to play a game at 1am, why should a Dev be willing too, either on their own time, or make the company they work for pay them overtime to do so? Selfish indeed.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    4PM PT ?!?

Cryptic studios is a US based developer and this is occurring within their business hours, just as with every Ten Forward Weekly. You can catch up on the antics via the "video" section of twitch (saves the streams) and you can check out the European side of the STO community (CM: Nevandon) for events set closer to your local time.
    iamynaught wrote: »
    4PM PT ?!?

No it is not reasonable.

Customers FIRST

Under certain circumstances, you would be right, the customer should come first. But businesses have business hours and they do their work during those hours.

Do you complain because you go to a store at 3am, find it's been closed since 9pm and bang on the door anyway, demanding to be let in? You're a customer and the customers needs should "always" come first. No, not always.

While it can be argued the game is a 24 hour a day service, the only people that need to be available 24/7 are customer support. The Devs are NOT customer support.

Look, if you're not willing to play a game at 1am, why should a Dev be willing too, either on their own time, or make the company they work for pay them overtime to do so? Selfish indeed.

I hope you people do not mean to say that Customers outside of the USA are inferior customers.

I my self work for a company that has customers all over the world. In case of events with customers we make sure all our customers are served all over the world. Even if that means being available outside normal business hours. It's a matter of valuing your customers.

It's not that dev's need to be available daily (every day). Just saying that it would be appreciated if customers outside the US would get play time oppurtunity with devs on normal hours instead of nighttime, in case of events.

It's not that dev's need to be available daily (every day). Just saying that it would be appreciated if customers outside the US would get play time oppurtunity with devs on normal hours instead of nighttime, in case of events.
    that would require running multiple events at multiple times. Do I need to explain why that is harder than doing one event?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2018
    that would require running multiple events at multiple times. Do I need to explain why that is harder than doing one event?

You make it sound like it is a punishment for the DEVs to play STO during or after office hours. I asume playing STO is fun for the DEVs too. And it would give also more test data related to peaktimes in other area's then the USA.

They could do for exaple 3 or 4 events. Please don't make it sound like Devs playing with customers is super hard labour.
    edited September 2018
    4PM PT ?!?

iamynaught wrote: »
    4PM PT ?!?

No it is not reasonable.

Customers FIRST

I hope you people do not mean to say that Customers outside of the USA are inferior customers.

I my self work for a company that has customers all over the world. In case of events with customers we make sure all our customers are served all over the world. Even if that means being available outside normal business hours. It's a matter of valuing your customers.

But they do see customers outside of the USA as inferior customers. That's been demonstrated multiple times from the unfair flash sales to the unfair maintenance times with unfair event finishing times and other areas where they put customers outside the US at a disadvantage. If they cannot even get those areas right they don't stand a chance of doing play with the devs in a way we can take part.
    You make it sound like it is a punishment for the DEVs to play STO during or after office hours. I asume playing STO is fun for the DEVs too. And it would give also more test data related to peaktimes in other area's then the USA.

They could do for exaple 3 or 4 events. Please don't make it sound like Devs playing with customers is super hard labour.
    You make it sound like they have nothing better to do. It's not a question of if they can or can't. But more a question of if they have time to do it. Also, if it's an official in-game event that counts as work.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I bet they would if they got double time for coming in at 1am to play a game.
    But I think they must all be salaried workers....so sorry, no shift diff, either.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    But I think they must all be salaried workers....so sorry, no shift diff, either.

They also have lives and families and sleep to attend to. ;)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Salaried positions don't normally have a clause saying your boss can call you to work at 1am just because he feels like it. A lot of them have carefully specified office hours. In large part because salary or no, you're not actually signing up to work 24/7. Some places, especially retail, have business hours longer than anyone would want to work in a single shift, so the salary contract specifies a number of hours to work each week. But even that has a schedule. Management has to make decisions about who works when.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Do you guys seriously argue whether the devs should come in in the middle of the night to "play" the game they already work over time on with people constantly flaming them because they think every decision is 'stupid'? If I got a call demanding I get to my work in the middle of the night I'd only get there to TRIBBLE on their lawn and get out. I'd never ask anyone to come in after hours.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I see a valid point in, occasionally, performing duties in off hours to aide other time zoned players/customers for STO & any other game. After all this is a job that deals with digital data with a world wide player base. If a job has more to do than can be done during normal "office hours" then eventually another shift is created to handle the excess need. Didn't some of the Cryptic personnel mention how during that whole Dominion/Vanguard/Jem'Hadar release there was lots of overtime? So if so then there was apparently a need & it was performed with overtime. However, since with digital data most things can be programmed to activate/operate ahead of time, if thought out, I doubt, most times, there would be a need for overtime or another shift to handle more production, but that depends upon a staffs' productivity. Just like STO focuses more content on the Federation versus KDF, Roms, or now Dominions it is about getting the most bang for your buck & I guess that is with a focus on a USA time zone versus other time zones of the world like Cryptic handles most of those sales. Then again, as I stated earlier those could be programmed ahead of time to activate at any time regardless if they wanted to.

More importantly, is there a streamed vid of players messing around with the Cryptic Devs trying out this new randomized TFO system or was it more "tell" & less "show" for now?
    Is anyone attending going to rp the afker who hates x stf but loves the rewards, you know...to give the devs a true taste of pugging?
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    More importantly, is there a streamed vid of players messing around with the Cryptic Devs trying out this new randomized TFO system or was it more "tell" & less "show" for now?

Be warned: it's not meant to be seen by mere mortals! :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Its just occured to me...

...if elites are 'unpuggable' (or so devs say) and so were denied tfo-ability...

...shouldn't they have their rewards massively raised as in the current tfo 'lockbox' system, even on the lowest tiered rewards (combined with base rewards) an advanced gets equal or better rewards than an elite run?

As it is, the tfo system is basically telling us to eschew elites and settle for advance, effectively PUNISHING players for wanting to play at a higher difficulty with lower rewards except for the elite mark widget

Why should I waste time and resources on getting my builds up to elite standard when I can toss an adequately armed ship/ground pounder in a tfo and get more rewards for my time?