test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Forums] Trying Out Reactions

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Hey folks,

You'll notice some new buttons on posts in the forum. These allow you to react to a post without having to respond, and will have some noticeable effect on which posts move to the top of the forum. It's somewhat similar to Reddit's system. We're giving it a try to see how we like it, please let me know any feedback you might have.

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    When did that happen?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Forum Update? Forum Feature Activation? @ambassadorkael#6946 might be able to tell us something?

Seems overloaded. Haven't most forums phased out this stuff by now?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @mustrumridcully0 said:
    > Forum Update? Forum Feature Activation? @ambassadorkael#6946 might be able to tell us something?
    >
    > Seems overloaded. Haven't most forums phased out this stuff by now?

I agree with you. But I also like your post. Ultimately though I decided to lol.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    I think the like and the lol buttons are excessive TBH. A simple like/dislike or agree/disagree would have sufficed.

The real question though is why are they to the right of the flag and quote functions?! Those are the two most important functions - they should be at one end of the post frame for quick and easy access; especially since that's where they've always been!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Temptation to find a song that fits rising...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    My feedback: If it works as intended and not gets abused it could be usefull. But on the other hand if there is a group of people (clan of friends), ganging up against others it could be bad.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    When did that happen?
    Here's the announcement thread.
    Forum Update? Forum Feature Activation? @ambassadorkael#6946 might be able to tell us something?

Seems overloaded. Haven't most forums phased out this stuff by now?

Actually, the Paradox Interactive forum still has it.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    totenmet wrote: »
    My feedback: If it works as intended and not gets abused it could be usefull. But on the other hand if there is a group of people (clan of friends), ganging up against others it could be bad.

In our defense, the Paradox Interactive forums have had this feature for several years now and abuse doesn't appear to be an issue.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Buttons are very small on phone screens.

That's unfortunately a drawback with using the mobile version we have - but the feedback was clear that it's the mobile version you guys want. :)
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »

In our defense, the Paradox Interactive forums have had this feature for several years now and abuse doesn't appear to be an issue.

Just something to keep an eye on. If used as intended its a great feature. Most "topic relevant" and "most valued" reactions will end up at the beginning of the topic. And If some one wants to read more he just can scroll further.

PS: I also know forums where the user can select between traditional ranking of reactions (as in last response at the top) and this new proposed reaction ranking section.

In some cases having the possability to see the latest reactions first has value too.
  • nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    It's already difficult to figure out what was posted since you've read the thread last... With posts displayed in non-chronological order, and without some kind of tree-like display*, as in Reddit, the whole thing would just turn into the snappiest one-liner contest.

I'm not saying such system can't be useful, just not with this board software.

*At least none I'm aware of.
    Alright, main feedback points: I feel like having both 'Awesome' and 'LOL' is a bit redundant. Just the awesome function would be sufficient, I think. I also think that it would make sense to move 'Off-Topic' into the Flag function.

Most of all though: I think the Quote function (and preferably the Flag function as well) should remain at the right of the screen. When you have text aligned to the right-hand margin, the options at the root of that margin draw the most attention. Since Quote is easily the most used function when using any function, I feel it would make sense for it to be as prominent as possible. Similarly, the report function should also be prominent so it can be found easily if needed.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    There are too many "reaction" choices, you need to pare it down.
    For example: Why VOTE UP and AWESOME and INSIGHTFUL? Why OFF TOPIC and FLAG and DOWN VOTE?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    Buttons work fine on tablet devices
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
    edited September 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »
    For example: Why VOTE UP and AWESOME and INSIGHTFUL? Why OFF TOPIC and FLAG and DOWN VOTE?

Off-topic and Vote Down are reactions. Flag is the report button.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

starswordc wrote: »

Off-topic and Vote Down are reactions. Flag is the report button.

Does not matter....you have too many choices....QUOTE is getting lost in there. Pare it down.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Do we really need this?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Do we really need this?

No...all they need is a AGREE or DISAGREE button and be done with it.

edited September 2018
    THIS is bad...because what happens is: any voices of dissension is gone.

That means anyone who does anything in this game that is counter to the going trend is suppressed. Or down voted into oblivion and no one sees it.

BTW.....THAT is the real reason Reddit is useless for feedback.

• garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    can not see the sto forums with crome ,firefox ,edge ,explorer and opera !! only tor works !!! could this be related to this ?!
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User

YES! I'm sure that group of people/fleet would like to use these buttons. Heck there is even a BLOCK button how marvelous is that?​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Uh... I'm on Firefox and can see it just fine.
    THIS is bad...because what happens is: any voices of dissension is gone.

That means anyone who does anything in this game that is counter to the going trend is suppressed. Or down voted into oblivion and no one sees it.

BTW.....THAT is the real reason Reddit is useless for feedback.

I haven't noticed any post movement so far...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    I never really understand the point of them. Having a bunch of people put agree or disagree is not useful for constructive dissuasions. It doesn’t really do any harm but that the same thing it doesn’t really do anything useful.
    Personally I always ignore any voting up/down/reactions on forums. To me they are just a little immature.

As for the systems that move posts up and down that is not something I find useful, in fact it’s the opposite. I want to read posts in the order they are posted.
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    If you hover your mouse in each posted reaction it will tell you what person voted for what? Shouldn't this be anonymous? or at least have a setting similar to anonymous polls?

I can't wait for the number of people who will start a real war of stalking whom they find "like or dislike" their comments. This is enabling some degree of virtual bullying and harassment. Don't we have enough with Facebook or tweeter with "likes" or emojis? Consider please making at least anonymous.

PS (...and Paradox forums...not as popular as STO IMO)​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    aww I cant 'vote up' and 'lol' its one or the other