test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any chance for weapon cosmetic slots/mods?

voiddweller#2714 voiddweller Member Posts: 114 Arc User
Hello. Just thinking about all that multicolored beams and bolts from different sets, even with same damage element. I guess it won't be hard to monoform visuals for same weapon type/dmg family. Like making all phaser beams on a ship look like kelvin phasers or TOS phasers, without actually replacing it. Or at least make set weapons that way, because you obviously can't fill all slots with same set weapons. Pure aesthetics.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Sadly, no. Many of us want this and it gets asked for every month or two.

Reasons claimed in earlier threads:
    - PVP whiners would whine and whine some more about not being able to identify the damage type
    - The game engine doesn't (easily) support it
    - CBS wants phasers to look like phasers not spiral wave disruptors
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Devs have commented on this a few times in ten forward. There's some gameplay and canon reasons for wanting weapon visuals to be true to equipped weapon type (and subtype) but the more straightforward hurdle is that it would be a major technical undertaking (given how the weapon visual system works, under the hood.) Cosmetic weapon options are not likely for the foreseeable future.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    This topic is rapidly moving into FCT territory. It's already been stated that it won't happen for reasons.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • voiddweller#2714 voiddweller Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Sadly, no. Many of us want this and it gets asked for every month or two.

Reasons claimed in earlier threads:
    - PVP whiners would whine and whine some more about not being able to identify the damage type
    - The game engine doesn't (easily) support it
    - CBS wants phasers to look like phasers not spiral wave disruptors

This may be restricted for same dmg type. And phasers do look like disruptors if you use bio-moleculars, or polaron if you use quantum phase. Same with blue disruptors and and yellow polarons.
    Space sets is what really cocerns me. Like if i use 2 sets and some "vanilla" weapons, it looks like christmas tree...
    Devs have commented on this a few times in ten forward. There's some gameplay and canon reasons for wanting weapon visuals to be true to equipped weapon type (and subtype) but the more straightforward hurdle is that it would be a major technical undertaking (given how the weapon visual system works, under the hood.) Cosmetic weapon options are not likely for the foreseeable future.
    This is not that hard to implement, but requires some effort plus some bug hunt. Just not a priority i guess.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    If you want your weapons to all look the same, use the same kind of weapons.
    warpangel wrote: »
    Read above. I want to use same dmg type sets without firing multicolored bolts and beams. That's looks lame, like not using those sets in favor of same weaps.
    Read above. I want to use same dmg type sets without firing multicolored bolts and beams. That's looks lame, like not using those sets in favor of same weaps.
    Can't have your cake and eat it, too.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User

Exactly right. I sort of enjoy the rainbow effect myself. I sometimes go full rainbow for fun and slot different damage types. Still works to kill things. In this game I go for fun, not wasting my time trying to out dps anyone. As long as I can contribute and do my part that's all that matters, when I do group content. I also don't inflict myself on Adv/Elite groups either. Normal works for me and my fun.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    echatty wrote: »
    Exactly right. I sort of enjoy the rainbow effect myself. I sometimes go full rainbow for fun and slot different damage types. Still works to kill things. In this game I go for fun, not wasting my time trying to out dps anyone. As long as I can contribute and do my part that's all that matters, when I do group content. I also don't inflict myself on Adv/Elite groups either. Normal works for me and my fun.
    Well, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be an option. Yes you can use same weaponss on all slots to make it identical, but that doesn't work with omni beams. If you decide to use that, it will always look like rainbow. Also it is a significant dil/ec sink.

• doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I always hear because of PVP, I don't buy it. There is nobody in pvp who puts up resistance to a certain type of weapon these days by all the universal console and trait stuff. I don't see any reason why we can't have Disruptor in green, Phaser in orange ect... to make the ships look more canon. I doubt any PVP'ler would give the slightest damn about it. Besides there is only a handful PVP Players left after Cryptic who cares so much about PVP that they wouldn't do the weapon coloring but never done anything for the actual PVP. In fact the score list of Arena Space took over 1.5 years to get fixed. So I don't buy it and it would be nice that they give the option to the people who want to build their canon looking ships and still can use reputation system and mission reward weapons.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    The decision was not up to Cryptic. It ultimately came down from CBS, who holds the license.

Cryptic sorta got around this issue by providing different FLAVORS of weapons that have different visuals. Granted there are the weapon sets that have different visuals as well, but if someone wanted Green phasers, there's the Bio-Molecular Phasers from Undine Rep. If you want blue phasers to match your Quantum Phase weapon... closest we got depending on type is either the Discovery Linked (better match for cannons) or Andorian (better mach for beams). TOS would be right behind that.

Giving a cosmetic option would mean people can run Antiproton, and hide that by making them look like phasers or Tetryon. The weapon visuals give players an idea of what's being thrown arouond. Being able to hide it as something else will just sow confusion.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • reafisreafis Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    Oddly I replayed Night of the Comet where your ship is holo cloaked as a d7. I have probably played that mission 7 times and its the first I have noticed my weapons changed to. They were still phasers but they looked and sounded like Klingon disruptors, same for the photon torpedoes.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    I don't think 'because PvP' is a real issue any more. FX may be, though (some weps pulse differently than others, and such). But I think from a mere color-only perspective alone, allowing us to choose the color of our weps would be problematic, especially with compound-color weapons, like polarized disruptors. Those weapons have a base color, with a streak of something else. Changing the base color at will might result in really off-looking combos. And if it looks bad in space, it will look bad on Cryptic. (And in the Night of the Comet mission, it's really Cryptic doing the choosing themselves)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    No, it's not PvP. It's that the visuals are 99% of the difference between weapon types. If you don't need to have the weapons for the visuals, then you don't need to have the weapons for anything and that means most of the weapon types may as well not even exist at all.
    No, it's not PvP. It's that the visuals are 99% of the difference between weapon types. If you don't need to have the weapons for the visuals, then you don't need to have the weapons for anything and that means most of the weapon types may as well not even exist at all.

Why not? Most of the different flavors have different effects that many people want to have, so they need to acquire most of a set in that type. Cryptic still gets their lockbox sales and dil sinks.

Also, one of the suggested ways of implementing this was the "dye pack" model where you change the look of a weapon by consuming that other weapon. With that Cryptic would sell extra lock boxes / consume extra dil.

Why not? Most of the different flavors have different effects that many people want to have, so they need to acquire most of a set in that type. Cryptic still gets their lockbox sales and dil sinks.
    No, very few of them have effects that people want to have. Antiproton or whatever the favorite-of-the-moment is. The rest have effects people tolerate because they're quite frankly not that big a deal and the style of the weapon is more important for some people than a 2.5% RNG gimmick.
    Also, one of the suggested ways of implementing this was the "dye pack" model where you change the look of a weapon by consuming that other weapon. With that Cryptic would sell extra lock boxes / consume extra dil.
    Possibly. Depending on implementation. But It would still make the different weapons useless as weapons.

Or in other words make the whole game have only antiproton beams and "dye packs."

No, very few of them have effects that people want to have. Antiproton or whatever the favorite-of-the-moment is. The rest have effects people tolerate because they're quite frankly not that big a deal and the style of the weapon is more important for some people than a 2.5% RNG gimmick.
    Possibly. Depending on implementation. But It would still make the different weapons useless as weapons.

Or in other words make the whole game have only antiproton beams and "dye packs."

Hmm, is AP still flavor of the month? I thought it had shifted to one of the disruptor types but I don't min-max and most of my captains use something else that fits their Space Barbie theme, like standard Polaron for Jem'Hadar ships and Tetryon for my captain using the Tholian space set.

It messes with the Barbie to want to include a gear set or Omni beam that's mismatched, and "Space Barbie is the true endgame."

• gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2018

Since when does it make sense to have red disruptors which dont look like disruptors? this is the case with the TTF rep weapons, and theyre so OP that you're gimping yourself if you're not using them. (on a disruptor build) your point is invalidated by the fact that weapons already dont look as they should.

if weapons DID look canon all the time this would be no issue. but they sadly already break with canon.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    I DO know that in beta you could change the color of your weapons, so it IS do-able. and back in beta you did not have the resists we have today you slotted shields and armor. that ws about all you had.. I think some reists to some energy types was in the skill tree too IIRC. so much has changed though
    Spock.jpg

Hmm, is AP still flavor of the month? I thought it had shifted to one of the disruptor types but I don't min-max and most of my captains use something else that fits their Space Barbie theme, like standard Polaron for Jem'Hadar ships and Tetryon for my captain using the Tholian space set.

It messes with the Barbie to want to include a gear set or Omni beam that's mismatched, and "Space Barbie is the true endgame."
    I don't know, AP, disruptor, whatever. I pick my weapons based on looks, too. Though I like a bit of rainbow look usually (no wonder the temprep beams are my favorite :)).

But the point is the distict looks are an important value for the weapons and gear in this game don't need to be homogenized any more than they already are.
    gradii wrote: »

Since when does it make sense to have red disruptors which dont look like disruptors? this is the case with the TTF rep weapons, and theyre so OP that you're gimping yourself if you're not using them. (on a disruptor build) your point is invalidated by the fact that weapons already dont look as they should.

if weapons DID look canon all the time this would be no issue. but they sadly already break with canon.
    All the weapons look like themselves. There are no "withering disruptors" in canon and the ones in STO look exactly like the people who invented them (=Cryptic) want them to look. If you don't like it, don't use them.

If you want your weapons to look canon, you use canon weapons. Not whatever that happens to be "so OP."
    But the point is the distict looks are an important value for the weapons and gear in this game don't need to be homogenized any more than they already are.
    This should be optional. It's not like nothing will change just because YOU don't want changes. It may not change for a while just because devs have other priorities. From every perspective it's just like ship/character costumes, nothing more. There even 23 century FX already present. If those exists, why something else can't?

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The engine can't cope is a weak excuse as there's already a slot for changing the ship shield visuals or warp trail. And if it can't cope with allowing a ship to have a standardised colour for all its beams then why do they assume it'll cope with the visual overload they've now inflicted on everyone during group based play.

Similarly saying that it's because they want phasers to look like phasers is pretty weak because how many different colours are there for each energy type? Because they keep adding more variety with each gamblebox and set.

They'd make some money from cosmetics like a weapon visual slot but for some reason cryptic are focussed on churning out expensive ships and burying the meager cosmetic options under a chance of a chance in the oddssolowIcan'tbelieveit'snotgambling boxes.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    There used to be a console command for recoloring weapons. "Used to" because the devs axed it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I think the final verdict came down from CBS. Hence why we get different flavors with different looks.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    At least give us the option to make things classified as disruptors, phasers, or plasma look like the standard.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    They could always find a way to disable cosmetics while playing a PvP match.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »

Since when does it make sense to have red disruptors which dont look like disruptors? this is the case with the TTF rep weapons, and theyre so OP that you're gimping yourself if you're not using them.

If you're referring to the red Lethean Disruptors, wish I could obtain them, but I can't. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    Actually... Terran Taskforce Rep Disruptors are also red.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The decision was not up to Cryptic. It ultimately came down from CBS, who holds the license.

Cryptic sorta got around this issue by providing different FLAVORS of weapons that have different visuals. Granted there are the weapon sets that have different visuals as well, but if someone wanted Green phasers, there's the Bio-Molecular Phasers from Undine Rep. If you want blue phasers to match your Quantum Phase weapon... closest we got depending on type is either the Discovery Linked (better match for cannons) or Andorian (better mach for beams). TOS would be right behind that.

Giving a cosmetic option would mean people can run Antiproton, and hide that by making them look like phasers or Tetryon. The weapon visuals give players an idea of what's being thrown arouond. Being able to hide it as something else will just sow confusion.

You can simply go around it. Just give every weapon type the option of the standard weapon color for that specific type and then you don't have anti proton looking like phasers. My concern is I like disruptors being green or phaser orange on my ship but i m somewhat forced to use set items to get my ship into solid state and those items have different colors. Some people like it, some people don't.

I don't buy it that CBS made that decision either but if you provide me with a link where cryptic states that I be more then happy to read through it.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
This discussion has been closed.