test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2018

And yikes those Klingon Discovery ships look hideous IMO. You wouldn't even think they were Klingon at first glance. More like random blob of the week alien ship.

You'd almost think they'd originated from a vast interstellar empire fractured by internal political struggles (see. main plot) which probably hasn't resulted in many joint development projects (though you can imagine sharing some designs through shifting alliances and good old fashioned espionage.)

(Standardization in military forces is often influenced by that culture's historical circumstances and it's a sci-fi trope that everything made by a particular culture shares a single iconography, wholly representative of that species (and only that species.) For Starfleet it's an easy projection, it's a single organization with a central power structure. However, that's not what the empire is in DSC.)

I mean its not like they left a standard Klingon ship out of the mix to serve as a very recognizable counterpoint to the disjointed fleet of a disjointed empire which moves the DSC Klingons closer to their state in TOS. ;)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • trekkerkentrekkerken Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    ibukee wrote: »
    NO , this is NOT Star Trek !
    Are you trying to drive half the playerbase off?! Because that's how you drive half the playerbase off.

Really? Some of us are actually quite excited about this and you certainly don't speak of behalf of "half of the playerbase".

And it IS Star Trek.

Actually, I believe he does speak for a silent half (at least) of the STO player family. TRIBBLE is merely CBS attempt to make PC and SJW version of Trek; Trek cannon be damned! CBS just wants to make money - plain and simple. They claim writers sought to maintain the timeline, then blew it up. Hell, The Orville is closer to actual Trek than this sideshow. And you might say, no CBS isnt just out to make money - but take a look at the two shows AND why hide the show behind a PAY wall? They are just trying to get everyone paying to watch Trek instead of network usage. They know Trek is huge and they just see dollar signs.

And....it IS NOT Trek.

My 2 cents.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    No matter the amount of hitting the wall with the head will change the fact Discovery is Star Trek, like it or not.
    Jeez, I would have expected a more open-minded approach from a Trek fanbase, especially after the drought we've had show-wise. Probably should have known better, though - it's the TNG and ENT thing all over again. Then the same people were sorry when ENT got cancelled just as it picked up pace and we expected to witness and get to know more about the Earth-Romulan war.

Tell me what ST show other than DS9 had a strong first season? There's plenty more to come before we can pass judgement on Discovery and I'm shocked how some people were dismissive just after watching the premiere double. IMHO, DISCO started off a bit goofy for the first half of Season 1, but then picked up pace and complexity.
    We have yet to see where they take us, but having CBS work tightly with Cryptic on STO in relation to the new and actual ST show sends me a good vibe about the future of the game and the potential of new content.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited September 2018
    patrickngo wrote: »
    see, here's the problem with your little idea: they were standardized both a century prior, and ten years later. These have the sort of "variety" you see in automobiles in Mad Max, only that doesn't work when you get to the scale of an interstellar empire.

pretty much the darwinian pressure of constant civil war would see more standardization because people at war try very hard to do things that work. (because winning is awesome and losing sucks ****.)

It's just like they were using a hodge-podge of ships that didn't take advantage shared technological advancement, then built something which did and found it superior. Ergo: D7 as the main imperial battlecruiser by Darwinian competition (evolving dynamics precipitating structural change in the KDF, just as if this was PROPER WORLDBUILDING elevating itself from expected tropes in pop sci-fi.) You can probably find some pretty close parallels in human military advancement too (ex. colonial US armaments converging on standardization following the introduction of mass production techniques.) Different dynamics but its certainly an infinitely stronger base (by dint of standardization as a result of technological and cultural change being plausible) than the converse of a disjointed Klingon empire somehow maintaining regimented ship production and organization across competing great houses who have neither the personal inclination, opportunity, or selection pressure to use the same ships. Quite the opposite (see. competitive exclusion principle. Doing exactly the same thing as a 1:1 competitor puts your survival down to a structural coin flip.)

Oi...

You are going to pretty extreme lengths to poo-poo something which directly parallels the narrative in a very singular way. It's also not the first time a major sci-fi franchise has used variant ship designs within one faction for elegantly simple worldbuilding. See. the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars. I don't think we need to regress so far in our appreciation of sci-fi story telling that we need to explain the mechanics of that. I just think you should ease up on the obsessive criticism of DSC and allow a positive point to be made without a reflexive rebuttal which pits you against some pretty basic points (re. DSC), and principles (re. Sci-fi, warfare, and evolutionary science.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    rumblep wrote: »
    concidering CBS is now in a law suit over this show, id personally advise not doing this particular expansion any further... seems somebody borrowed ideas without permission.
    The case (should it ever be filed)

Snipped most of Duncan's reply cause I'm only responding to this bit. There has been a court case filed, actually, should be a response from CBS within the next few weeks (they have 20 days to reply). I think the case has little merit myself.

Problem is, the Lawyers filing said case for the Plaintiff DIDN'T file it properly (They're suing the wrong corporate entity plus numerous other filing omissions and mistakes); and one of the Lawyers has yet to pay his New York Bar Fees (Meaning legally, he's not licensed to practice Law in New York State currently, where the case was filed.)

The court has ordered the party involved to file an amended complaint correcting the various errors, but until they do so, and it meets the court's filing standards, CBS technically hasn't been notified officially yet, so they have no need to respond at the current time.

Would you mind sharing a link to where you got that information from.
    I'm interested in this case (as an artist) and would like to see who stated this and where they're getting their facts from.

Direct from the Horses's mouth:
    https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/25398554/Abdin_v_CBS_Broadcasting,_Inc_et_al
    Take a look at the entries for:
    Monday August 20, 2018, Friday August 24, 2018 and Wednesday August 29, 2018 to see all the court admonishments and numerous filing errors made by Plaintiff's attorney.

(And nothing illegal here in looking it up as all court case filings are a matter of public record and available to view if you know where to find them.) ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator

It's just like they were using a hodge-podge of ships that didn't take advantage shared technological advancement, then built something which did and found it superior. Ergo: D7 as the main imperial battlecruiser by Darwinian competition (evolving dynamics precipitating structural change in the KDF, just as if this was PROPER WORLDBUILDING elevating itself from expected tropes in pop sci-fi.) You can probably find some pretty close parallels in human military advancement too (ex. colonial US armaments converging on standardization following the introduction of mass production techniques.) Different dynamics but its certainly an infinitely stronger base (by dint of standardization as a result of technological and cultural change being plausible) than the converse of a disjointed Klingon empire somehow maintaining regimented ship production and organization across competing great houses who have neither the personal inclination, opportunity, or selection pressure to use the same ships. Quite the opposite (see. competitive exclusion principle. Doing exactly the same thing as a 1:1 competitor puts your survival down to a structural coin flip.)

He's got a point. We see a unified Klingon Empire in TOS, but one that apparently keeps a CLOSE eye on its military, as stated by Mara (If I remember correctly). Discovery takes place at least 10 years before we see the Klingons in TOS. It shows a fractured, feudal system with Great Houses jockying for position. Kinda like Feudal Japan or even Medieval kingdoms. Now lets look at the ships. They're a product of this fractured, Feudal system, as duncan said. In the real world we see a good example of this in the development of swords from various regions.
    • Europeans favored the rather iconic straight blade, double edge Longsword.
    • Arab nations seemed to favor the more curved, single edge Scimitar
    • Japan favored the Katana

All three are swords, but developed independantly from each other. Just because we're human doesn't mean we absolutely MUST build the same style sword no matter where we live. A more modern interpretation is the western M-16 family of Assault Rifles vs the Russian AK-47 family. They do the same job, but are different designs.

So while yes the designs in Discovery seem off the wall... it makes sense that a fractured Empire would develop radically different designs based on each individual House's prefered fighting style and asthetics. It won't be until they are unified that we start seeing more uniform designs like the D7, which could very well have been developed to be a counter to the Federation Constitution Class that did serve in the war.
    Direct from the Horses's mouth:
    https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/25398554/Abdin_v_CBS_Broadcasting,_Inc_et_al
    Take a look at the entries for:
    Monday August 20, 2018, Friday August 24, 2018 and Wednesday August 29, 2018 to see all the court admonishments and numerous filing errors made by Plaintiff's attorney.

bahahahahaaa__rainbow_dash_laugh_by_misteralex-d515muw.gif
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    So while yes the designs in Discovery seem off the wall... it makes sense that a fractured Empire would develop radically different designs based on each individual House's prefered fighting style and asthetics. It won't be until they are unified that we start seeing more uniform designs like the D7, which could very well have been developed to be a counter to the Federation Constitution Class that did serve in the war.
    Given how... disparate their designs are elsewhere in the series it makes quite a lot of sense TBH.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Europe also produced curved, single edged blades and teh asian cultures ALSO produced straight, double edged blades, in the same time period-the differences had more to do with doctrine than with fashion. but more telling, it had to do with communication-variant styles evolved in situations where communication was....not the best.
    But what did they use them for? See, a Jian is meant for hand to hand combat and designed for stabbing, much like a rapier. but a broadsword, claymore, or crusader's sword? those are meant for hacking.

Also while Europeans used a variety of polearms, the most favored one seems to have been the halberd with is basically a combination of an axe and spear. On the other side of the world the Guandao was more popular. Which is basically a short, thick katana on a pole.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • vern1701vern1701 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Getting back on topic here: Is there a definite release date for Age Of Discovery?
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    No, but I'm thinking October 2nd. Though the 16th is in the realm of possibility.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    That means that this game is now tethered to a horse that could go anywhere including over a cliff. The developers could end up stuck with assets they spent time and resources building that do not match what ends up on screen in Season 2. They could end up including story elements and characters which turn out to be altered or discarded or ignored going forwards.

Isn't most of the story/content for Age of Discovery going to be original anyways? What does it matter if S2 changes the ongoing story. From what I have listened to on Ten Forward weekly the main antagonist is T'kuvma's sister (which is from IDW comics and is not really tied to the show). STO and Cryptic should be fine either way. They have their own team of writers.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • aricamarajade#4600 aricamarajade Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I have enjoyed the ViL expansion very much. It brought back memories and fun i had watching star trek from my youth.
    I wish the same for the TRIBBLE fans, to enjoy their star trek as i could.
    Like all expansions and focus, they should also get what belongs to their series. A discovery Connie with discovery interior and not a rip-off t1 ship.

Whether i like or dislike TRIBBLE, people should enjoy their game.
    I am glad i have the choice to skip content if i don't like it.
    If people like it, they will pay for their content and play it, lure friends into STO.
    It comes to STO, and fans will like their favourite show. It doesn't matter if others dislike it.
    Everyone should have the same fun i had with ViL or LoR or AoY.
    And people, who don't like it, can skip it or spend their time more wisely. There will be STO parts AoD free anyway.
    That means that this game is now tethered to a horse that could go anywhere including over a cliff. The developers could end up stuck with assets they spent time and resources building that do not match what ends up on screen in Season 2. They could end up including story elements and characters which turn out to be altered or discarded or ignored going forwards.
    Isn't most of the story/content for Age of Discovery going to be original anyways? What does it matter if S2 changes the ongoing story. From what I have listened to on Ten Forward weekly the main antagonist is T'kuvma's sister (which is from IDW comics and is not really tied to the show). STO and Cryptic should be fine either way. They have their own team of writers.
    Another think to consider is that Mr. Moonves wasn't a Star Trek fan. Yeah, he's the reason Enterprise only got 4 seasons. So it's hard to see this as a bad thing really.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    desekayar wrote: »
    I'm a little disappointed. STO was the last vestige of unadulterated Star Trek available to us. I wasn't impressed by Discovery's treatment of the Federation, the Klingons or of the characterization of people who were supposed to be members of this little thing called Starfleet.

They say that they're going to make season two fit more in line with the established universe. I'm curious about how they'll go about doing that, because it seems impossible at this moment. If they do manage it, I'll be impressed.

I admit though, if STO has a part to play in that process and it works out, I may end up being a little bit happier about it. :smile:

Making Discovery fit is not that hard if CBS keeps their nose out of it and does not insist that DSC overwrites the original Prime universe in STO. In the series they show us that the Discovery timeline is actually created by the Tholians capturing the TOS Defiant and loosing it to the Empire in ENT. The mechanism for that is probably the existential link between the two trying unsuccessfully to sync the Prime and Mirror universes in spite of the paradox. In any case, it could be easily treated as the expanding loop that it shown to be in the series (though what happens when the DSC "present" hits the TOS time the Tholians are fishing for the Defiant in could present some massive paradox problems even compared to the mess they have so far).

That said, I was not at all impressed with Discovery, it is just the baseline generic modern sci-fi show with STAR TREK rubber stamped all over it. I understand that they wanted to make it "new and different" but they failed that badly since they took it so far they lost the essence of Star Trek in the process.
  • voiddweller#2714 voiddweller Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    I have enjoyed the show and look forward for a new expansion, but please, dump DIS klingon appearance! Make them more klingon-like if you wish. Anything. Dude who designed this abominations should be flayed alive. Damn those "artists" who doesn't pay respect to work of others.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    This is the downside of the much-lauded "running concurrently with an ongoing series!" thing.
    This ignores that all of the AoD content we know about is from the already finished and released Season 1 of Discovery, and Cryptic mentioned some time ago that "running concurrently with an ongoing series" meant that they were releasing content about that series while the show was airing, and not that they were trying to do anything like the Defiance mmo, which tried to actively tie in with the show as it was airing, because such a system isn't sustainable.

Changes to season 2 are ultimately a non factor to what Cryptic is doing, because AoD was never about season 2 of Discovery. What we know about AoD so far
    -New tutorial that deals with T'kuvma's sister.
    -Two cross faction missions that further that plot and tie into the attack on Starbase 1.
    -The anniversary mission is about what happened to the ISS Discovery when it crossed into our realm
    -A mission based around an unused story idea for the planet Pahvo
    -A mission based around Landry's backstory and why she was such a hardass.

Congrats, that 5 missions in a game where most every arc released has been 5-8 missions long. Basically, that the lion's share of what we will be getting with AoD, with nowhere near enough story missions left to deal with season 2 stuff.

@somtaawkhar I have to correct you on a few points here.

1. The new tutorial is very well likely going to be for Discovery Characters only, which means there's going to be a separate arc for them.
    2. I think there's going to be 2 separate arcs that come with this, one that is for Discovery era characters and the other for all others, just like AoY did. This way your arc situation is spared. Plus, they've shown that they can do more than one arc.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    1. The new tutorial is very well likely going to be for Discovery Characters only, which means there's going to be a separate arc for them.
    2. I think there's going to be 2 separate arcs that come with this, one that is for Discovery era characters and the other for all others, just like AoY did. This way your arc situation is spared. Plus, they've shown that they can do more than one arc.

I'm not sure about that one. The new tutorial could lead directly into multifaction missions, either set in the 25c [tutorial includes a time shift] or 23c [other factions involved through temporal wizardry], making AoD function more like ViL [with the DSC characters arc primarily coming from their unique viewpoint, rather than a unique set of missions.]
    I'm in a "wait and see" stance right now on AoD. But when it comes...
    large.png
    Hold mah jacket. Its time to rock.

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    trekkerken wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »
    ibukee wrote: »
    NO , this is NOT Star Trek !
    Are you trying to drive half the playerbase off?! Because that's how you drive half the playerbase off.

Really? Some of us are actually quite excited about this and you certainly don't speak of behalf of "half of the playerbase".

And it IS Star Trek.

Actually, I believe he does speak for a silent half (at least) of the STO player family. TRIBBLE is merely CBS attempt to make PC and SJW version of Trek; Trek cannon be damned! CBS just wants to make money - plain and simple. They claim writers sought to maintain the timeline, then blew it up. Hell, The Orville is closer to actual Trek than this sideshow. And you might say, no CBS isnt just out to make money - but take a look at the two shows AND why hide the show behind a PAY wall? They are just trying to get everyone paying to watch Trek instead of network usage. They know Trek is huge and they just see dollar signs.

And....it IS NOT Trek.

My 2 cents.

Yep ST: D isn't canon - the same way ST: TNG wasn't canon in 1987:
    rrMVJg3.jpg

[And we all know now how that turned out];)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    And just like...
    • the Kelvin Timeline isn't canon
    • Voyager isn't canon
    • Enterprise isn't canon

Pretty sure even DS9, the one series that people seem to say is a paragon of Trek, got trashed when it was announced.

Fact of the matter is... EVERY series has been bashed in one form or another. Let it stand on its own merits rather than rage that its different. Give it time to develop, as we all know the first season can always be a rough one. TNG had 2 rough seasons starting out. Same with Voyager, until they got away from the Half-Baked Klingon Hair Care Specialists... I mean Kazon.

Now... lets break down the arguments... wait... they all exist in starsword's sig. And have been used to justify rage against previous shows as well.

We all have some criticizm or another about each series. But we've all accepted them as stories in the broad universe that is Star Trek. Even... the stinker episodes like Threshold and Spock's Brain. Also pretty sure TNG and DS9 had their own stinker episodes as well... although I'm pretty sure TNG had them mostly in seasons 1 and 2.

Honestly don't see as much rage against the Kelvin Timeline or Enterprise anymore now that Discovery is around. Anyone else notice that? Used to be "Hate Enterprise this", or "Hate Enterprise that". Then "Hate JJTrek This" or "Hate Kelvin Timeline That". Now... its all directed at Discovery. Why? Because its new and different, and has the guts to try and appeal to not just to veteran fans with fan service, but to try and attract NEW fans with a shiny, 21st Century look into the franchise we all love.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    This is the downside of the much-lauded "running concurrently with an ongoing series!" thing.
    This ignores that all of the AoD content we know about is from the already finished and released Season 1 of Discovery, and Cryptic mentioned some time ago that "running concurrently with an ongoing series" meant that they were releasing content about that series while the show was airing, and not that they were trying to do anything like the Defiance mmo, which tried to actively tie in with the show as it was airing, because such a system isn't sustainable.

The concurrent game and series concept actually IS sustainable provided the game company and show production company are tightly integrated, which never happened for Defiance. With Defiance it is like the two discussed the project, signed the contracts, and then went off and did everything without talking to the other party. Something like Sony which used to have both media and game divisions might have been able to pull it off if they could get the two divisions to work together but it is highly unlikely two separate companies could do it.

That said, AoD does not need to be that integrated to work, and Discovery is such an inconsistent generic mess to start with that any liberties that STO might take with it to fit it in the STO multiverse structure would probably go unnoticed anyway.
    The concurrent game and series concept actually IS sustainable provided the game company and show production company are tightly integrated, which never happened for Defiance. With Defiance it is like the two discussed the project, signed the contracts, and then went off and did everything without talking to the other party. Something like Sony which used to have both media and game divisions might have been able to pull it off if they could get the two divisions to work together but it is highly unlikely two separate companies could do it.
    Basically you'd need to have a single writing team.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing