test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's wrong with my ship build?

2»

Comments

• feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    sounds a bit like you got hit by the cone aoe thingy they do sometimes. DO NOT!! stay in big cone aoe circles from these enemies.

but you might wanna check out the discount build here:
    https://www.sto-league.com/t5-defiant-dhelan-and-brel/
    and here:
    https://www.sto-league.com/cardassian-intel-ships/

check the discount builds there, first one for cannons second one for beams.
    might give you an idea of how to build a ship for basically no or low costs.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    The thing that the higher level ships provide is more boxes and buttons to use.
    Boxes=your equipment. Buttons=the abilities available to use on your "trays".
    The "power" you want come from what you put inside those boxes and buttons and figuring out how to combine them.

The object of this game is to get all those things to work with each other in a way that they combine to give you advantages. Because that combination is the "power" not the ship itself. Until you get a basic understanding of how the equipment and abilities work together, DON'T spend money to buy a T-6 ship.

Because you will be in the same place, just with more stuff you have to buy and more stuff you have to figure out how to work together. OK?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    Coldnapalm is giving you advice on a "Build". That is what the players call these combinations of equipment and abilities that work together. He is going to start you on something that is basic, yes, but will get you to where you want to go without spending a lot of in game currency or a lot of your time to acquire.

But it is OK. It will work. You should look at how the combinations go together. How the BOFF abilities are "buffing" up your weapons, how it is keeping your shields and hull up and running. How this is adding up to keep your ship alive and in the fight longer.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    edited September 2018
    Sorry...I had to step away from the computer for a bit...

I like to put together jigsaw puzzles....and THAT is what this game really is.

Instead of piecing together a picture...you are putting together your "ship" and "away teams". The "missions" and "stories" are kinda more like testing grounds...did you put the puzzle together so it works???? OR not. Test it.

And the Devs are playing with our head by throwing out different pieces all the time.....

Can the players figure out how to deal with a ship that has 5 weapons slots in the aft position?
    How will the Crystalline Space Antiproton Energy Weapons work in a ship build?
    How will the Dinosaur with laser beams work in an away team?
    Let's add Nakhul with clones or Tzenkethi with weird shields or Hur'q boss with a AOE power that drains the hell out of you and your away team .... etc...

Granted, you can play everything at face value, too...there is plenty to do if you want to skip the build puzzle....

But you will be sitting there going:
    Why is Starfleet killing everything? Why is there no diplomacy? Why is there no Exploration?
    Why are they more interested in selling ships and gear all the time?

Everything focuses on can you take pieces and make a "build" that works?
    Everything...from R&D/crafting and Doffing,Admiralty/collecting currencies and doing events.

Because that is the game that is really afoot, here.

• feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    and to make it a bit more easy, we've published build suggestions for all free ships you could obtain at lvl 61:

https://www.sto-league.com/news/

oh and those are discount builds, so you shouldnt need more than maybe 15-20m ec to buy stuff from the exchange (a few awesome consoles to get there ;) )
    Post edited by felisean on