test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hunting the Edit Monster

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    In my opinion I think they should've deleted all those lost posts and threads before fixing the edit bug because a whole lot of double posts and unwanted threads have returned.

We've figured out a different way to do it since then that doesn't cause that.

Like we said, bear with us: things could get a little weird for the next little while.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    We're Starfleet Officers. Weird is what we do.
    B)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    I wonder if it still eats posts with links to boardgame geek?

EDIT: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1733956/terminator-themed-faction-list

EDIT2: O_O!!! It no longer eats posts with BGG links! YAY!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    I wonder if it still eats posts with links to boardgame geek?

EDIT: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1733956/terminator-themed-faction-list

EDIT2: O_O!!! It no longer eats posts with BGG links! YAY!

Actually, one of us inoculated you.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Oh, cool. It used to be any post i made with a link to that site got immediately eaten never to return.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Used to always have this issue more often than not right after posting a fairly long point (a few paragraphs and atleast 5-7 sentences in each one) and then i edit the post immediately and save, the post disappears.

it is worth noting that immediately after posting, you try post again and that one disappears immediately, like it was never posted so i have to leave the forum for something like an hour before i can come back and post again.

long term observation of the issue from my end.

edit: Forgot to add that you edit the post immediately, because if you leave it a minute after you posted, the chances of the post remaining with the edited content are usually higher when you are done with it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • stcaptainquirkystcaptainquirky Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I have the same problem right now. Haven't been able to post for two weeks. I consider this a test to see if this post gets through.

Edit: Ok, seems the problem has been fixed now.
    Post edited by stcaptainquirky on
    SaSOGlo.png
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    We've since implemented some additional fixes that should take care of the edit monster for good. if he still shows up let us know
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    We've since implemented some additional fixes that should take care of the edit monster for good. if he still shows up let us know

Seeing how insidious and relentless the edit monster is, causing one to develop eating disorders even, I'd say it's a 'she.' :p
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

I have done a couple edits today with no sign of the monster so far.

Seriously, to everyone that worked on fixing this.. thank you!!
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited September 2018

I have done a couple edits today with no sign of the monster so far.

Seriously, to everyone that worked on fixing this.. thank you!!

Same here! Looks good so far!

EDIT: Just making sure. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg

In all seriousness, yeah, thx for looking into/fixing this. BMR used to just put the responsibility on Vanilla (which is where it officially still is, of course); but I am nonetheless grateful Cryptic took it upon themselves to delve into this, and seek a resolution to this most egregious bug.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,245 Community Moderator
    The fix was made by Vanilla. We just provided them with the information they needed to track down the problem.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The fix was made by Vanilla. We just provided them with the information they needed to track down the problem.

Still took effort to escalate the issue, and that effort is greatly appreciated.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > baddmoonrizin wrote: »
    >
    > The fix was made by Vanilla. We just provided them with the information they needed to track down the problem.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Still took effort to escalate the issue, and that effort is greatly appreciated.

I remember when this issue was first brought to light those who had encountered these issues were basically called liars. Good times.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I've not been able to post for years as none of my posts show up (well they show up to me, but not to anyone else). Never got around to creating another account. Perhaps this will fix the problem.

Edit: nope my post is still not visible to anyone but myself @darkbladejk @ambassadorkael#6946
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    Not completely related but just a quick shout out and thank you to @peterconnorfirst @baddmoonrizin @tunebreaker and everyone else on that thread who helped me get a similar issue resolved that stopped me posting for a very looong time.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1243553/hunting-the-edit-monster-part-2/p1
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Not completely related but just a quick shout out and thank you to @peterconnorfirst @baddmoonrizin @tunebreaker and everyone else on that thread who helped me get a similar issue resolved that stopped me posting for a very looong time.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1243553/hunting-the-edit-monster-part-2/p1

Hey hey, can see you now! :)

Seems like it worked out fine. Thanks a lot to @baddmoonrizin for the fast help. B)
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    We come to serve. \\//_
    GrWzQke.png
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    We come to serve. \\//_

Or as a friend of mine on another board used to say APOTS-All Part Of The Service ;)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • A late thank you - as a non eloquent one who was affected a lot by the editing monster, it's very appreciated that you took the time and efforts to gather details and forward the issue and that it was taken cared of as a result.

In a bit off topic remark, though the issue was mentioned before in this context, I'd add something regarding double posts - sometimes those are created automatically and accidentally by some kind of a technical issue I am not familiar with (possibly an almost non responsive computer or high latency/any connectivity issue, but no real idea here)
    It's not malicious/intended in such case but please delete such when you see such if it's not too much troubles (or if you can automate such safely without awaking the edit monster) - I'd prefer it so my accidental double posts would be deleted, automatically or not, but OFC it's OK if it can't or won't be done.
  • pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Had a post eaten by the edit monster, and now I can't even repost it. So I'm testing here
    We come to serve. \\//_

Sorry to bug you again but there seems to be yet another one having trouble to post:
    I was just CURIOUS, you understand. Is it possible, to still buy a LS, to operate the STO 'program', even if you are having difficulty when it comes to dealing with the 'FORUMS'?

He tried to start a thread which is invisible for the rest of us here:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/comment/13427622
    animated.gif
    This issue has been resolved. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
    GrWzQke.png
  • masssquaredmasssquared Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Roughly 9:30 am got hit with that "edit monster".
    Specifics if needed: Posting in the Tzenkethi battle zone thread(announcement). I did a double edit. Correcting 'out weight' to 'out weigh'. Then to 'outweigh'.

Totally worth it. Especially knowing somewhere there a tab of spam correctly edited.
    Roughly 9:30 am got hit with that "edit monster".
    Specifics if needed: Posting in the Tzenkethi battle zone thread(announcement). I did a double edit. Correcting 'out weight' to 'out weigh'. Then to 'outweigh'.

Typical. And rather befitting, what with the Tzenkethi battle zone being broken and all, that the thread about the Tzenkethi battle zone should now appear broken too. :wink:
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    @masssquared
    Your post has been returned to the thread, and hopefully your posting issue has been resolved.
    GrWzQke.png
  • masssquaredmasssquared Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Very good. Thank you. baddmoonrizin
    @baddmoonrizin

I'm sorry to disturb you yet again about this but this time my in game friend @usssentinel has trouble to make post that are visable here in forums. He has been trying in this very thread a few times.

Please help if you can.
    animated.gif
This discussion has been closed.