What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crystalline Catastrophe vs. Crystalline Cataclysm

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Crystalline Cataclysm (event map)
    [Heh, using immunities(or at least Rock and Roll) causes you to get punted like a football.

Yes, using Rock and Roll pushes you back a bit, but contrary to what was posted earlier, the damage immunity 100% works. I use RnR in this event all the time, never took a point of damage.. you simply have to time it right.

It is kinda funny though, the way it 'punts' you out of range.. I usually get up real close before doing the RnR that way I at least come out still in attack range. :smiley:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Crystalline Catastrophe (regular map)
    [Heh, using immunities(or at least Rock and Roll) causes you to get punted like a football.

Yes, using Rock and Roll pushes you back a bit, but contrary to what was posted earlier, the damage immunity 100% works. I use RnR in this event all the time, never took a point of damage.. you simply have to time it right.

It is kinda funny though, the way it 'punts' you out of range.. I usually get up real close before doing the RnR that way I at least come out still in attack range. :smiley:
    That’s one of the things that put me off. While waiting for the pulse timer to kick down I was sitting for the 3rd time in the run waiting with nothing to do. So I started reading a website missed the pulse end and missed triggering my immunities. The blast hit and barely dinted my ship and all my pets survived as well.

It just felt so pointless and simple. All I did in my last run was fly straight forward to 0.5km of the CE and I am practically AFK as there is nothing to do. Not needing to tank anymore, not needing to pay any attention what so ever and spending such a large portion of the queue sitting waiting doing nothing. Just fly forward park, first blasts hits fly forward and park then wait till end. Don't even need to move after 2nd blast as I am still in range normally. Not impressed by this one at all its so simple I am all but giving up on it. At least in the old one I had to tank and pay attention.

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I think they really need to do something to make it more dynamic and spice it up.

1) The Energy Beam the Crystalline Entity fires of should also come with a powerful push/repel effect and a mild stun or buff-cleanse effect.

2) At some points, the Crystalline Entity should fire of an effect that causes all crystalline fragments release a similar energy beam to the nearest target. (If they can make it work visually, the entity fires of one beam at one random fragment, and then the fragment emits two beams - one to the nearest enemy, one to the nearest fragment. The enemy takes damage and whatever else the beam does, and the beam that hits the next fragment triggers the same effect on that fragment. Optionally, this also shatters the fragments and releases a radiation wave around them.

This would provide more reason to destroy the crystalline fragments.

3) The Tholians could play a more active role - maybe they are spinning a web around the entity to protect it and occasionally you get walls appearing that you need to take out or fly around, and if you ignore them, the entire entity gets encased in a protective web, which takes some time to take down.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    pottsey5g wrote: »

That’s one of the things that put me off. While waiting for the pulse timer to kick down I was sitting for the 3rd time in the run waiting with nothing to do. So I started reading a website missed the pulse end and missed triggering my immunities. The blast hit and barely dinted my ship and all my pets survived as well.

It just felt so pointless and simple. All I did in my last run was fly straight forward to 0.5km of the CE and I am practically AFK as there is nothing to do. Not needing to tank anymore, not needing to pay any attention what so ever and spending such a large portion of the queue sitting waiting doing nothing. Just fly forward park, first blasts hits fly forward and park then wait till end. Don't even need to move after 2nd blast as I am still in range normally. Not impressed by this one at all its so simple I am all but giving up on it. At least in the old one I had to tank and pay attention.

Wait, you survived the blast on advanced?

I gave it a try the first time I did it.. I wanted to see what happened. I flew an Operations Odyssey in there, 100% hull and about 80-90% shields at the time of the blast and it killed me. I just assumed that the pulse was now a proper 'insta kill' is that not the case? I have avoided it ever since.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I got caught in the second blast as I hadn't made it past the 'rim' yet, though I *almost* made it. It took my ship down to 7%, of which I was able to hit my emergency hull repair from the Kobali ship to almost heal it back. I was on my SIL's acct, flying the new Y'tijara with no mastery built up yet.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2018

I gave it a try the first time I did it.. I wanted to see what happened. I flew an Operations Odyssey in there, 100% hull and about 80-90% shields at the time of the blast and it killed me. I just assumed that the pulse was now a proper 'insta kill' is that not the case? I have avoided it ever since.
    It was on advanced and my hull went down to aprox 70% or 80% with little buffs active and even my frigate hanger pets survived which surprised me. Now you have me wondering if there is a bug where you queue up for advanced and get dumped in normal? That would explain most of my complaints about it being super easy and not needing to tank.

EDIT: 2 more blasts on advanced at aprox 21% unbuffed and aprox 50% hull resistance buffed. Both blasts took me to around 54% ish and 60% ish. Going try 2 more blasts tomorrow to see if this is a bug or not then taking a break from CE.
    Post edited by pottsey5g on
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Doesn't really matter to me on the new map vs old. It still seems to end within 2-3 minutes tops for me, which is good, because I'm running it around 18 times per day across all my pylons.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    asuran14 wrote: »
    Wave: For me this is one area i liked, but found alot of issue that make it fall flat. For one the immunity is annoying though it is something the devs use alot to push players, also the fact that you can use a immunity to bypassing moving is abit of a let down. I personally would think it would have been more interesting to maybe have the immunity tied to the shard that are active so that if the group wipes them out they can damage the entity during the wave phase as a reward for getting rid of the shards. It would also have been interesting if they made it less that if you get hit by the wave it repels you, and more if you use a immunity to bypass the wave damage instead of moving out of the wave range you are disabled for a short duration, which makes leaving the wave area worthwhile an still allows you to se the immunity if you can't get out of the area.
    Heh, using immunities(or at least Rock and Roll) causes you to get punted like a football.

Yup it punts you a distance, et how much of a issue is that to a player? It is more of a annoyance that causes you to have to move back in yet keep your facing, so barely impacts the player making moving if you have a immunity to use less appealing to do. Where as if you got disabled for 2-3 seconds when you are hit by the wave while using a immunity, that would make using a immunity still worthwhile like if you just could not get out of the area in time, but make evading the wave by getting out of the area more appealing an useful.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I prefer the original one, the one that could instantly heal from 1hp back to full health if someone got stupid.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I prefer the original one, the one that could instantly heal from 1hp back to full health if someone got stupid.

Which unfortunately made it pretty much impossible as there was ALWAYS someone stupid coming in with a Torp Spread since it was a drop in/drop out style queue. A fleetmate of mine was working it down, a bunch of people were waiting for him and cheering him on because FINALLY they were going to defeat the Entity... only for some random to drop in and torp spread it. Two hours of work... gone in an instant.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Which unfortunately made it pretty much impossible as there was ALWAYS someone stupid coming in with a Torp Spread since it was a drop in/drop out style queue. A fleetmate of mine was working it down, a bunch of people were waiting for him and cheering him on because FINALLY they were going to defeat the Entity... only for some random to drop in and torp spread it. Two hours of work... gone in an instant.

Ugh, no, I don't like that. That's a bit too OP for a queue, especially if it takes two hours to get it down to where you can kill it. The prizes would definitely needed to have been very good.

While I wouldn't mind these queues to last a little longer, I like being able to take it down in just a few minutes. No one-shotting, but no endless battle either.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    While I like and do the regular one often, the extra time at the beginning of the event is nice, as lag, or my connection or whatever gets me in there close to last. So now I can start with everyone else.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Found the problem. Setting Advanced and specifying only selected is overridden if you select the Queue in the top highlight and not from the Queue list below.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options

It was on advanced and my hull went down to aprox 70% or 80% with little buffs active and even my frigate hanger pets survived which surprised me. Now you have me wondering if there is a bug where you queue up for advanced and get dumped in normal? That would explain most of my complaints about it being super easy and not needing to tank.

EDIT: 2 more blasts on advanced at aprox 21% unbuffed and aprox 50% hull resistance buffed. Both blasts took me to around 54% ish and 60% ish. Going try 2 more blasts tomorrow to see if this is a bug or not then taking a break from CE.

Good to know, thanks. It's possible I was also hit with en exploding shard that could have finished me off. I'm going to do another run and try 'tanking' the blast and see what happens.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »

Ugh, no, I don't like that. That's a bit too OP for a queue, especially if it takes two hours to get it down to where you can kill it. The prizes would definitely needed to have been very good.

While I wouldn't mind these queues to last a little longer, I like being able to take it down in just a few minutes. No one-shotting, but no endless battle either.

We've had a LOT of power creep since those days, so it wouldn't take as long to wear the entity down if that version were to come back. I just really like that that version had a unique boss mechanic that was incredibly punishing if you ignored it or screwed up. STO needs more of that imho.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

We've had a LOT of power creep since those days, so it wouldn't take as long to wear the entity down if that version were to come back. I just really like that that version had a unique boss mechanic that was incredibly punishing if you ignored it or screwed up. STO needs more of that imho.
    From what I've heard, a team that actually knew how to kill it properly could kill it in a few minutes. BUT these were the bad old days where making a good build was really hard because you had to permanently remove skills from your boffs to teach them new ones. And there were so many of the really good ones that you couldn't tutor to boffs at all. So finding people who had a build that actually worked for CE smashing was surprisingly hard.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    A couple times, much to my surprise (but not usually).

Just to throw out a general question - in the current event format does the blast get stronger if people fire at it when in the absorption phase?

Reason I ask as the damage taken from it seem to vary on advanced all the way from survivable (without using something like RnR) to close to a million damage and an insta-kill.

As an aside, was recently with a team who took down the entity's health about as fast or if not faster than the cool down for my evasive maneuvers for each stage. This thing can be beaten.

Edit: I can't recall voting but for the record am still ambivalent.
  • Options
    The damage must fluctuate somehow.. I just tried on two of my characters and both times the blast completely wiped me out from full health. I do build more for offense then defense, but I have fairly good resists and shields, it was just a complete wipe.. not sure why, just how it was for me.

I actually like it that way, the blast should one shot anyone in the ring (on advanced) automatically in my opinion. I like having to 'run for my life' makes it a little more fun. I am sure if I buffed with some temporary HP and fired off everything I have.. maybe I could take it, don't know.. but I enjoy scampering to get out of the way, so I am going to keep doing that. :smile:
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    The damage must fluctuate somehow.. I just tried on two of my characters and both times the blast completely wiped me out from full health. I do build more for offense then defense, but I have fairly good resists and shields, it was just a complete wipe.. not sure why, just how it was for me.

I actually like it that way, the blast should one shot anyone in the ring (on advanced) automatically in my opinion. I like having to 'run for my life' makes it a little more fun. I am sure if I buffed with some temporary HP and fired off everything I have.. maybe I could take it, don't know.. but I enjoy scampering to get out of the way, so I am going to keep doing that. :smile:
    This really is the fun part of a newly re-designed queue... figuring out what works. I did try the "everything but the kitchen sink" approach but so far without much success. Maybe DPRM + RAC + BFI + Lukari console? RnR just seems easier if using pilot or just gtf out of the way lol.

• Options
    Personally I think we need more content like that original CE queue. Back when the game first shipped there was content that required team work and took a decent length of time to do. This was fun and challenging and as it was challenging it was rewarding when completed. I had more fun in those old raid style content then any current content in Star Trek today. Those raids also combined Space and ground in the same team which is something else STO is now missing.

This oversimplifying of content and making everything far too easy hurts player retention long term and makes content less rewarding to do.

I don’t see why they cannot bring back the long original style queue and keep the current quick one. The game needs a balance of content. A star Trek game should be about Team work and almost all the team work has been stripped out of the game.
    1 and 2 hour raid queues need to come back to the game; it was a major mistake to remove them.

It looks like you are right as today’s first blast took me down to 15% health and killed my hanger pets. The 2nd blast did nothing.
  • Options
    Current method for me is that I use Evasive on the first explosion.. I move to just barely over 10km away and hold there, then charge back in.

I have never tried taking the 2nd burst, I have only tried the 1st. Usually on the 2nd burst I just use Rock And Roll and avoid it. If I happen to be using a captain not running Pilot secondary or if I forget, then I just use Evasive again as I usually have an Evasive Conn Officer on duty on all my builds.

I also tried the Arbiter/Kurak/Morrigu console.. and it can tank the blast just fine.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    A star Trek game should be about Team work and almost all the team work has been stripped out of the game.
    1 and 2 hour raid queues need to come back to the game; it was a major mistake to remove them.
    Realistically, they were never MEANT to take that long, and only took that long if people sucked at them. Yes, really, old-school CE didn't take an hour unless people were doing it wrong. Problem was that half the people who THOUGHT they knew how to do it right DIDN'T and were actually spouting misinformation. Which is why Yanishev's briefing got added to explain how to do it right.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User
    This will probably never be my favourite mission (in terms of entertaining value, resource-wise it's the best one of course), regardless of which of the two maps is available.

There is still very little challenge here, but the event map at least requires the player to do more than just put his ship in a certain position and press spacebar.

It's an improvement, but still far inferior to some of the best designed and well thought out maps and missions that have been developed (more) recently (Gravity Kills, Borg Disconnected, Swarm and so on). A good map, as the examples between brackets show, has multiple objectives, multiple 'instances' within the map so that you can either go alone or go as a team, and in a well designed mission the actions of your team mates should matter.

The good missions have those things, the Crystalline map doesn't have them. It's still one single objective (although they have tried to change that as indicated by the blog, but unfortunately they failed imo), with one big target. The core of how simple this mission was, hasn't changed.

Which makes it a good 14-day event map, and again, a good map to quickly collect resources. But in terms of gameplay and entertainment it still ranks near the bottom for me.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User

That version of the mission could be really fun too indeed. Though it's probably less suitable for a 14-day event.

It could be fun if they brought it back as a regular mission though.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Even before having tried the mission at all, this short thread alone is enough to tell it's still way, way, way too easy (seriously, calling a 15-second immunity a "timegate," bah).
  • Options
    The blast did used to be affected by the amount of energy weapons people fired at it during the absorption phase (that's why it is an absorption phase). I would guess it still does.
    Perhaps it should, but as far as practical gameplay is concerned it doesn't make much difference, since you can always just respawn all the same.
  • Options
    The blast did used to be affected by the amount of energy weapons people fired at it during the absorption phase (that's why it is an absorption phase). I would guess it still does.
    Perhaps it should, but as far as practical gameplay is concerned it doesn't make much difference, since you can always just respawn all the same.
  • Options
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Only major hiccup i'm having to deal with is the massive lagfest it turns in to at peak times. It's so bad when everyone buffs up and opens fire that first time that it freezes the game sometimes. That's the same issue as was being discussed on here a week ago. Plus on at least one occasion after getting vaped my ship didn't render once i respawned making it a nightmare (none of my shots rendered either).
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    The shockwave's variability has something to do with the number of small shards returning to the Entity I believe. The more small shards return, the stronger the blast.

As for people talking about the old CE not taking even an hour... I should have mentioned that my fleetmate who almost got it was SOLOing it after telling everyone to hang back, which they did. And he WOULD have killed it too, if not for the random new guy flying in with a torp spread like "YOLO I GOT THIS DOODS!"
    And it wasn't a queue. It was literally drop in/drop out.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.