test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rookie questions

Hi hi! -curtsy~

Giving foundry a spin and here's some questions:

1: When setting up dry docks, what should the difference in the Y axis be if I want to place ships inside the docks?
2: Why are certain clothing items, such as the thigh high boots with significantly high heels, (the ones the TOS Romulan girls wear), and the Starfleet academy micro minis, not part of the standard player tailor costume...me and a few friends would LOVE those...me especially since I can make my comic based uniform more accurately.
3: Any way to take a current toon and 'import' the appearance into a foundry? And can one import a foundry costume one made onto one's toon appearance?
4: Is it me, or does the face and body editor a have more options?

Thankies! :)
dvZq2Aj.jpg

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    1. With dry docks I think you'll have to nudge the ships Y value down by a little bit for them to appear inside. Exactly how much I've always figured out through trial and error.
    2. I KEEP ASKING ABOUT THAT TOO. These items were developed by Cryptic but some reason or another never found their way to a full release. Some may in fact be broken across the full range of player animations but others may have simply been lost in the rush of development. When Cryptic was talking about an update to the latinum store, these unique costumes were the first thing I suggested (and I've more recently proposed a Foundry token system, similar to favors from the summer event, with these and other Foundry goodies on offer.
    3. Yup, set the starting location of your mission (button in the first transition prompt, story tab) to a social map with a tailor. Then, click "play for beginning." You'll spawn in a private instance with access to all services, including the tailor. If you've saved your character's appearance, you'll be able to load it up there.
    4. The sliders are identical to what you'll see in game, though you may note for some KDF species that they still have the old bulk/physique sliders. You may notice more costume slot options but that's because we have access to a lot of parts.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Also, when I first try...I had to make a new toon for foundry, but she's got nothing....no boffs, t1 ship, etc.

What do I do? o.o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    Also, when I first try...I had to make a new toon for foundry, but she's got nothing....no boffs, t1 ship, etc.

What do I do? o.o

The "Foundry" toon is basically just a guinea pig that will allow you to test your mission in the editor before publishing. It isn't supposed to progress or have access to better gear/ships. However, all NPCs are scaled down to lvl1 as well during mission testing, so that should not be an issue.
    edited August 2018
    You can claim account rewards though (so any gear you've earned through PVE events, promos, and the c-store...) ;)

When playtesting a mission though you'll note that you have a button labeled "kill target." It kills targets. You can also set yourself to invisible or invincible. There should be no issue with progressing through what you've built, but you will want to make note of things like combat balance with a live playtest once you publish.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    I made a few NPC's in foundry, based on myself and my fleetmates in the comic. Can I somehow save these and import them to the main game character tailor?
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    I made a few NPC's in foundry, based on myself and my fleetmates in the comic. Can I somehow save these and import them to the main game character tailor?

Only by taking screenshots of their slider settings and replicating that in game. There's no direct transfer of costumes for custom NPC's.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Btw a hint on getting the heigth of characters replicated from the main game to the foundry (or the other way around) correct what I use is take the prebuilt "Akira Sulu" NPC scale my character based on that in game and then try to replicate it in the foundry (it won't be 100% indentical but it should be "close enough").

Why I use Akira Sulu is that he's standing alone on more or less flat ground.

Obiviously this exact method works only for FED(or FED allied) characters as you need to be able to get to ESD but the basic method isn't really dependent on the NPC.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    1: It's challenging because to make it work you need to be able to position the ship so that it doesn't touch the docking arms.

2: Yeah, Foundry doesn't have every costume in the game

3: This is how I do it: https://www.deviantart.com/marhawkman/gallery/46640467/STO-Foundry
    there's a LOT of them,, so I'll go with one example:
    enlissac_by_marhawkman-dck5qsj.png

4: Foundry has a lot of costumes we DON'T have in the main game. Like an armored version of the time traveler bodysuit... "X3 Proto"

5: Leveling your Foundry character to 10 is the hard part, after you get doffs it becomes easy. My Foundry character is level 65. For getting started.... making a battle ship farming map is best. You're limited to a certain number of kills per day that you can get loot and xp from. But this is number of enemies, not amount of xp. So use the enemies you get the most xp per kill from. Then spam "kill target".

6: last I checked your Foundry character can remove items from in-game mail from a mail terminal(you can't SEND items, just retrieve) So you can send a few items to your Foundry character that way.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    is it possible to have, say, mobs look like eophs, and have them firing phasers at you? o.o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Umm... if it's in the premade costumes list, yes.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    is it possible to have, say, mobs look like eophs, and have them firing phasers at you? o.o

Sure is! You can make anything in into a combat unit provided you have an NPC costume for it (either default or custom). In the case of Epohhs, we do! Select each unit of the mob and replace their default costume. Be sure to enter a name too, otherwise the units will appear as "Epohh - 01" or some like (which is a mark against the quality of the mission.)

it's entirely possible, like Duncan said. Actually one of the spotlight missions on KDF side ("Honor of Ferasa") features aggressive Epohhs that breathe fire at you XD
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    ashstorm1 wrote: »

it's entirely possible, like Duncan said. Actually one of the spotlight missions on KDF side ("Honor of Ferasa") features aggressive Epohhs that breathe fire at you XD
    You may get some wierd animations depending on what base NPCs you use but that can be a good thing if that's what you're going for.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    ashstorm1 wrote: »

You may get some wierd animations depending on what base NPCs you use but that can be a good thing if that's what you're going for.

My "I'll do it someday!" Exocomp comedy rebellion comes to mind here. :tongue:
    Some critters do weird things when killed. You can use Nanovs, but they don't have a dead animation, so when killed they just sit there and stare at you.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Some critters do weird things when killed. You can use Nanovs, but they don't have a dead animation, so when killed they just sit there and stare at you.

Well, that's useful if you wanna stun them. :)

dvZq2Aj.jpg

Fear the accusing stare of the Dead Nanov !

"You. Killed. Me."