test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hunting the Edit Monster

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I am not sure what happened there.... I don't think it was an edit monster bug.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    What force verify? Trying on my tablet now if it still eats everything I'm giving up.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    warpangel wrote: »
    What force verify? Trying on my tablet now if it still eats everything I'm giving up.
    There's a force verify that can be done by Ambassador Kael which should help with many instances of the edit monster or posts vanishing. Not always guaranteed but it's worked for a few.

"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    edited August 2018

That is what was happening to me.

Every post I was try to send to a thread, I was seeing a notification from Vanilla: "Your Comment Will Appear After It Is Approved". Nothing showed up on the thread. Interestingly, the text I typed stayed in the edit window, too, daring me to try hitting "Post Comment", again.

I tried it on my Chromebook, Kindle (which Vanilla considers mobile) and my computer with Chrome and Firefox browsers. It finally dawns on me it wasn't the edit bug. Or maybe it is. I have no idea.

And I have no idea why it happened on Friday, when it worked fine on Thursday. Anyhoo...I sent a PM to Kael, and he did a force verify on my account...and it cleared it up. Whatever it was.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    where2r1 wrote: »

That is what was happening to me.

Every post I was try to send to a thread, I was seeing a notification from Vanilla: "Your Comment Will Appear After It Is Approved". Nothing showed up on the thread. Interestingly, the text I typed stayed in the edit window, too, daring me to try hitting "Post Comment", again.

I tried it on my Chromebook, Kindle (which Vanilla considers mobile) and my computer with Chrome and Firefox browsers. It finally dawns on me it wasn't the edit bug. Or maybe it is. I have no idea.

And I have no idea why it happened on Friday, when it worked fine on Thursday. Anyhoo...I sent a PM to Kael, and he did a force verify on my account...and it cleared it up. Whatever it was.
    Happened exact same to me on Friday, too. Cant post anything on my computer, only tablet.
    edited August 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »
    I tried it on my Chromebook, Kindle (which Vanilla considers mobile) and my computer with Chrome and Firefox browsers.
    Happened exact same to me on Friday, too. Cant post anything on my computer, only tablet.

OH, I just remembered....I set my Kindle browser to use the regular site because I did not like the way PWE was setting up the mobile site for STO Forums. SO...maybe this is related to that....the mobile site would work fine, the browser one is hung up?????

Anyhoo...if you can not post to the forums, try via the mobile site.

(And on Monday, when Kael comes back to work, he will be inundated with PMs with requests for force verify. Sorry, Dude.)

It does so appear at this time I'm not able to post any post in any thread at all they all get eaten immediately. Except this post, if it happens to get through.
    Things seem FUBAR this morning, I tried to make 3 posts (Foundry forum and general discussion) and they were all eaten on their first go (not just on the edit.) I swapped PC's and tried to make a post here with that info. That went through, but when I tried to edit the edit monster took that and an attempted repost (with significant text changes.)

So...we'll see about this one.
    Same thing happened to me earlier today, all posts straight into the shredder. Just trying if it's working now.
    edited August 2018
    OK, so all the eaten posts I've made over the weekend came through at the same time (with embarrassing dupes). Does that mean it stopped eating them?

EDIT: Apparently it does...hopefully to stay that way.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    We're working on it folks. May be a bit of weirdness for the next little bit until we get all the kinks worked out.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    - 6th edit monster bait -

That's my last one. Will go to the store to get more. :/
    How many of these can it eat?
    The edit monster has to be full right now.
    edited August 2018
    The edit monster has to be full right now.

Man!!! It didn't even have time to digest my posts! Now they're all over the place! :s
    Post edited by starfarertheta on
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    A post of mine was just eaten a minute ago. It was no edit but an entirely new comment made in the "Starfleet not a military?" topic.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Sounds like whatever you guys are doing, its making the Edit Monster even MORE aggressive.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Sounds like whatever you guys are doing, its making the Edit Monster even MORE aggressive.

Yeah, but that's not what happened here. We've worked out how to individually immunize accounts in the last 24 hours, but there's a side effect that it causes the Edit Monster to regurgitate every post it ate from that user in the past month or so.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    Noticed. Had 49 posts to wade through in the Ba'al thread that were from rose.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Noticed. Had 49 posts to wade through in the Ba'al thread that were from rose.
    Can you mark the posts you don't want for me somehow? I'll go through the thread and delete the extras.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    If you see this, I haven't been able to post in 2 days.

This one appeared, but I cast my spell. You should be able to post now.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    Some guy in the support section has loads of posts.
    @starswordc
    Probably better to talk to @icerose20 about it.
  • icerose20icerose20 Member Posts: 18,379 Arc User
    It seems the edit moster didnt like me trying to use a image
    Ancient Griffon insult

That one is so stupid, he lost a Rock/Paper/Scissors game to a Pony.
    You know who else has been kinda missing since Thursday...when I got hung up???
    Coldnapalm and my Armada Leader Ruinthefun.

• majorhalcyonmajorhalcyon Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    Only experienced this once, thankfully, and it was a post from July 15th, in a reply to the thread I created in the PC Tech Support forum titled 'Not being offered 64-bit client option?'. I tried to edit the post from that date, around 10:30 pm EDT, and it ate it.

I have edited more than a few posts since then without issue (though I'd taken to copying the contents of any post I needed to edit!).

Side note: I've still not found an answer to that question...
    Easiest ways to avoid the edit monster seem to be
    • Making a major change, ie "BEGONE EDIT MONSTER" at the end in order for it to not be counted as spam or something
    • Waiting 5 or so minutes before making any minor edits

At least that has been my experience.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Easiest ways to avoid the edit monster seem to be
    • Making a major change, ie "BEGONE EDIT MONSTER" at the end in order for it to not be counted as spam or something
    • Waiting 5 or so minutes before making any minor edits

At least that has been my experience.
    I prefer to use "Edits for the Edit god!"
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    That works too.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    In my opinion I think they should've deleted all those lost posts and threads before fixing the edit bug because a whole lot of double posts and unwanted threads have returned.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
This discussion has been closed.