test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Featured episodes sort of encourage people to spoil the story.

archer01#0741 archer01 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
First, I would like to say that the following complaint, if you can call it that, is a very minor one. That said, it seems unusual to me the way featured episodes are set up to let low level players participate. Some featured episodes contain huge spoilers and are sometimes the conclusion to a long story arc. It seems weird to just let players who may know little about the game or the overall story to just jump into a finale mission that has little to no context for them.

Moreover, a new player may not even realize where the featured episode fits into the overall narrative and may participate, unwilling spoiling the story for themselves. Obviously, participation in featured episodes is optional. Nevertheless, it still seems weird to encourage some players to spoil the story.

Note: I could be completely off about this since I had been at the level cap for so long (before it was 65) and had been away from the game for a long time.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    I hate that when I level up a toon during a xp event. You get hails from missions that your no where near doing.

It's annoying. Hey u know that war u haven't done yet. Well it's over. Let's go exploring again yaay
  • mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    > @skullblits#4627 said:
    > I hate that when I level up a toon during a xp event. You get hails from missions that your no where near doing.
    >
    > It's annoying. Hey u know that war u haven't done yet. Well it's over. Let's go exploring again yaay

You can turn off auto hailing in the options menu
  • skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    > @mez83 said:
    > > @skullblits#4627 said:
    > > I hate that when I level up a toon during a xp event. You get hails from missions that your no where near doing.
    > >
    > > It's annoying. Hey u know that war u haven't done yet. Well it's over. Let's go exploring again yaay
    >
    > You can turn off auto hailing in the options menu

No way? Really.. I never knew that. Thanks
  • mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    > @skullblits#4627 said:
    > > @mez83 said:
    > > > @skullblits#4627 said:
    > > > I hate that when I level up a toon during a xp event. You get hails from missions that your no where near doing.
    > > >
    > > > It's annoying. Hey u know that war u haven't done yet. Well it's over. Let's go exploring again yaay
    > >
    > > You can turn off auto hailing in the options menu
    >
    > No way? Really.. I never knew that. Thanks

Happy to help
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    dtrekkie wrote: »
    First, I would like to say that the following complaint, if you can call it that, is a very minor one. That said, it seems unusual to me the way featured episodes are set up to let low level players participate. Some featured episodes contain huge spoilers and are sometimes the conclusion to a long story arc. It seems weird to just let players who may know little about the game or the overall story to just jump into a finale mission that has little to no context for them.

Moreover, a new player may not even realize where the featured episode fits into the overall narrative and may participate, unwilling spoiling the story for themselves. Obviously, participation in featured episodes is optional. Nevertheless, it still seems weird to encourage some players to spoil the story.

Note: I could be completely off about this since I had been at the level cap for so long (before it was 65) and had been away from the game for a long time.

I totally get your point, but it's somewhat of a double edged sword.

Yes, the current system kind of works as a spoiler system, and I totally understand how that can be annoying. On the other hand, locking the featured episodes behind level or story line progress feels like it could leave people feeling excluded. The featured episode gives the weekly reward box and if you weren't far enough in the story line you would be locked out of receiving the reward box.

I get it, you're new.. you're halfway through the Klingon arc and all the sudden you're doing the finale mission in the Gamma Arc.. I can see how that would be disorienting. Do you feel it's a better policy to lock the content behind progress or level? How would you rather see it handled?
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    I see it this way, if you start to binge watch a show , you start with episode 1 and so on to the series finale. That is how you should play the content, and tbh in less than a week you are trough all episodes. Are the rewards tempting? Then I understand that people play them but yes there could be some spoilers.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    You have the choice of either waiting until you've completed the preceding story or doing the feature early and getting spoilered. Personal responsibility, it's a wonderful thing.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Plus the rewards you pick up will scale up through free upgrades to Mk XII.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    It's personal choice if you play the FE's ahead of time or not, so there is that.

However i see no reason (and would never object to) why content shouldn't be locked behind a progression through the game. Every other aspect of the game is progress locked (R&D, higher Mk gear, Doffing, Admiralty, Fleet Access, Delta Quadrant Access etc.).
    And the way a lot of games have always played is that if you want to play advanced systems in a game you gotta get that far first.
    Nobody is stopping you playing those FE's if you couldn't run them at release except for needing to get far enough in the game, and i think that would be a perfectly reasonable expectation for a game.
    SulMatuul.png
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    It's personal choice if you play the FE's ahead of time or not, so there is that.

However i see no reason (and would never object to) why content shouldn't be locked behind a progression through the game. Every other aspect of the game is progress locked (R&D, higher Mk gear, Doffing, Admiralty, Fleet Access, Delta Quadrant Access etc.).
    Except they're really not. They're level-locked. The story content you can just skip anyway. Very few story missions unlock anything of interest.

I wouldn't object to feature episodes being level-locked, either. But it wouldn't accomplish anything. Now, removing those skip buttons and making people actually play through the story to advance might be something, but yeah, they'd never do that.
This discussion has been closed.