test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Getting marks has become nearly impossible. For me.

124»

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    Last time I played the comprep queues, the "losing" team still got paid anyway (with, obviously, a few less bonus marks depending on how far they got).
    You are penalized very heavily, and it still applies both the 30m queue ban AND the daily rep penalty to any attempts afterwards. It's really better to simply quit and accept no reward and try again, otherwise it will throw off your calculated schedule. If you ain't first, you last.
    I don't have a "calculated schedule." I do one run of whatever pops the fastest, if and only if I don't have enough marks to fill a daily rep XP project. The daily bonus will get that covered no matter what.

It's most certainly not better to accept no reward and try again. The time is spent already, so any reward is better than no reward. And since every mark is just the same 10 ore in the end, might as well do another daily bonus instead of repeating the same thing anyway.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    However, what it sounds like to me is that there may be some players (you called them bench warmers) who want a relatively brain dead way of getting marks that requires little to no effort from them and no teamwork... you know that strange thing when 5 players coordinate their efforts?

STO is like Schrödinger's cat. If you want it to be a multi-player experience, you'll find an MMO; if you're looking for a single-player game, you'll find the latter. And that is because, while the game certainly supports MMO aspects, everything is built in such a way, that you can be more-or-less completely self-sufficient. That is by design. People are coming home from work, and want some mindless pew-pewing. They don't want to have to TeamSpeak with 5 other highly-coordinated players, ere something can be accomplished. Mind you, the game certainly supports such coordination, and it happens regularly, in the upper echelons of Elite queues (or otherwise very coordinated ppl). But, essentially, it's all designed so you can pretty much go it alone. And when I say 'alone,' I don't literally mean 'solo everything,' but effectively so, yes, in that just showing up in a PUG** usually suffices (even for Advanced queues; failed a CSA, of late?) for the most part. The casual nature of the game dictates this format. It's kinda pointless judging ppl for it.

** Make no mistake, even in the DPS channels there are few true pre-mades going on (just typing 'x' in channel doesn't mean you have a true pre-made group: it only means you're teaming up with a higher class of players, so to speak, but, essentially, you're still in a PUG).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    However, what it sounds like to me is that there may be some players (you called them bench warmers) who want a relatively brain dead way of getting marks that requires little to no effort from them and no teamwork... you know that strange thing when 5 players coordinate their efforts?

STO is like Schrödinger's cat. If you want it to be a multi-player experience, you'll find an MMO; if you're looking for a single-player game, you'll find the latter. And that is because, while the game certainly supports MMO aspects, everything is built in such a way, that you can be more-or-less completely self-sufficient. That is by design. People are coming home from work, and want some mindless pew-pewing. They don't want to have to TeamSpeak with 5 other highly-coordinated players, ere something can be accomplished. Mind you, the game certainly supports such coordination, and it happens regularly, in the upper echelons of Elite queues (or otherwise very coordinated ppl). But, essentially, it's all designed so you can pretty much go it alone. And when I say 'alone,' I don't literally mean 'solo everything,' but effectively so, yes, in that just showing up in a PUG** usually suffices (even for Advanced queues; failed a CSA, of late?) for the most part. The casual nature of the game dictates this format. It's kinda pointless judging ppl for it.
    You can literally solo everything, at least everything relevant. It's really telling the queues are only "multi-player" in so far as they're artificially gated to be impossible to start with less than 5 people. One person is enough to finish most of them. Some of the queues would actually be much more interesting to play alone. But then there are those where nobody needs to do anything at all to "win."

And getting rewarded auto-win just for showing up is not "casual," just boring. Challenge is the heart and soul of a game, without it all you have is a chore. I find it sad that starting the average queue is harder than actually playing it.

A guaranteed-win timed mission is about as exciting as waiting for the bus. Sure, you can engage in whatever optional activities you feel like to pass the time, but you are still waiting for the win condition to inevitably roll up to the curb, entirely independent of your actions or lack thereof. All you have to do is be there when it comes. Is that an achievent? A victory? I don't think so.

But you are right, it's not the players' fault the game is like that.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited August 2018

** Make no mistake, even in the DPS channels there are few true pre-mades going on (just typing 'x' in channel doesn't mean you have a true pre-made group: it only means you're teaming up with a higher class of players, so to speak, but, essentially, you're still in a PUG).
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to judge people, just got sucked in by the person whom I was replying to's unique dry sense of humour is all :smile: Should have known better...

Being on TS with "5 other highly-coordinated" players you could as an extreme example of the opposite of what same poster referred to as "derping through it solo with 4 benchwarmers", which was one the several statements they made that I was responding to.

It's nice that the game offers both options and everything in between and as usual you point this out and describe it with your usual finesse.

Perhaps I was lamenting to an extent the popularity of certain queues that require a little coordination and speaking out against the RPM (rewards per minute) mindset. I can recall doing things just for fun and challenge and I'll bet you can to.

Edit: I should add that I'm very much in agreement with warpangel's response, which was posted when I was composing mine.

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

Sorry, I wasn't trying to judge people, just got sucked in by the person whom I was replying to's unique dry sense of humour is all :smile: Should have known better...

Being on TS with "5 other highly-coordinated" players you could as an extreme example of the opposite of what same poster referred to as "derping through it solo with 4 benchwarmers", which was one the several statements they made that I was responding to.

It's nice that the game offers both options and everything in between and as usual you point this out and describe it with your usual finesse.

Perhaps I was lamenting to an extent the popularity of certain queues that require a little coordination and speaking out against the RPM (rewards per minute) mindset. I can recall doing things just for fun and challenge and I'll bet you can to.

Edit: I should add that I'm very much in agreement with warpangel's response, which was posted when I was composing mine.

Thanks for your kind reply. :)

You are not wrong, and nor is warpangel (although I'm sure *I* can not solo everything). And there really is too much 'auto-win' going on. Even without needing extreme coordination, would be nice if Cryptic left/re-introduced some fail conditions in the queues. Tzenkethi RA, that I've been doing of late a bit (for my new Jem), is one of the few queues I know where letting even 1 Protomatter Torp thru, means 'game over, you lose.' I like that: no excessive coordination required, just ppl having to do some minimal RTFM, and not let it fail.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • antiquesroadshowantiquesroadshow Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    Dude. Don't even worry about it. They are trying to fix that with this new Age of Discovery. So hopefully that fixes your problem.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    @ruinthefun said:
    > FUN IS A FILTHY PARASITE.

Of course someone trying to ruin it would say that. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    It occurs to me that Binary Circus has another bigger potential issue: Because the teams are running simultaneously and one team is the Enemy, there's a distinct incentive to sabotage the other team. By bribing someone to participate on the opposing force for the sole purpose of sabotaging them, you can make sure that YOU get paid and they don't. And unlike other queues, where such acts would purely be for trolling and grant no real benefit to the person sabotaging the queue, there's a distinct financial incentive at work here.
    Last time I did this queue I was even aware of who was on the other team via another channel and they were a very talented bunch. We won, they lost, both teams got paid out well, and I got to make lightly disparaging but humorous remarks in their channel.
    I tip my hat to you sir. Now you know the real reason the other team lost. Using the term "in-game gratuity for cooperative game play" is more polite though.

• skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    Another thing. Why do people sit in ques and never join. Then it screws up the whole thing.
    ltminns wrote: »
    J'accuse
    That scene with Donald Sutherland still makes me shiver lol :open_mouth:

This discussion has been closed.