test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cosmetic gear.

colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 2,200 Arc User
Well, I started with the thought that I would like to be able to put cosmetic weapons on my ships. For instance, in order to get the benefit of the Quantum Phase console/torpedo/beam set, I have to have a blue beam and quantum torpedo firing from my ship. Now, the quantum torpedo is fine, but I prefer photons, and I really dislike the blue beam. It would be much better if I could put cosmetic weapons on the ship, such that the blue beam LOOKS and SOUNDS like a phaser, but has the same effects as usual.

I expect this has been suggested before, but I'm going to suggest it again.

However, I also had the thought that it would be nice to be able to equip NORMAL gear in the cosmetic slots for shields, engines and such. That way, my ship could maintain a normal look without my having to constantly disable the appearance of gear when I change my loadouts.

So, that's my second suggestion.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    As far as I know, you could customize the color of your beams in the past. I'm not sure whether it was an official feature or not. Apparently though, some people complained about it making it impossible to identify your opponent's weapons in PvP, and the thing was removed.
  • Options
    mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    > @ashstorm1 said:
    > As far as I know, you could customize the color of your beams in the past. I'm not sure whether it was an official feature or not. Apparently though, some people complained about it making it impossible to identify your opponent's weapons in PvP, and the thing was removed.

I don't remember being able to do anything like that.
  • Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    Well, I started with the thought that I would like to be able to put cosmetic weapons on my ships. For instance, in order to get the benefit of the Quantum Phase console/torpedo/beam set, I have to have a blue beam and quantum torpedo firing from my ship. Now, the quantum torpedo is fine, but I prefer photons, and I really dislike the blue beam. It would be much better if I could put cosmetic weapons on the ship, such that the blue beam LOOKS and SOUNDS like a phaser, but has the same effects as usual.

I expect this has been suggested before, but I'm going to suggest it again.

However, I also had the thought that it would be nice to be able to equip NORMAL gear in the cosmetic slots for shields, engines and such. That way, my ship could maintain a normal look without my having to constantly disable the appearance of gear when I change my loadouts.

So, that's my second suggestion.

Wow i just did a similar post around the same time, i guess there is really more people out there who would like to see that.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    ashstorm1 wrote: »
    As far as I know, you could customize the color of your beams in the past. I'm not sure whether it was an official feature or not. Apparently though, some people complained about it making it impossible to identify your opponent's weapons in PvP, and the thing was removed.

I find that hard to believe. First off Cryptic never did much for PVP in this game, second type of weapons every body got a combat log and can see what he got hit with. So sorry, but i m not buying it.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    No, this really did used to be a thing. It was the Powerhue command from Champions. Why it was removed is not as clearly known, but it was definitely a thing that you could recolor your powers, including pewpew. There are old vidyas of this happening. Ultimately, it was removed to improve the quality of the game.

Taking away a viable option for cosmetic changes, I can't see that improving the quality of the game.

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Would be more logical to fix the "disable visuals" setting so it wouldn't reset every time you switch something in the first place.
  • Options
    No, this really did used to be a thing. It was the Powerhue command from Champions. Why it was removed is not as clearly known, but it was definitely a thing that you could recolor your powers, including pewpew. There are old vidyas of this happening. Ultimately, it was removed to improve the quality of the game.

Taking away a viable option for cosmetic changes, I can't see that improving the quality of the game.
    If they made weapon effects customizable, they may as well remove different weapon types from the game completely. Because they would be completely irrelevant.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

If they made weapon effects customizable, they may as well remove different weapon types from the game completely. Because they would be completely irrelevant.

Care to explain why ?
  • Options
    jordan3550jordan3550 Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    I do like the unique visuals of the weapon sets. Although I do like my weapons to match so I just use the Andorian blue phasers to go with the quantum beam array. I would say put in beam arrays that use the same effects but standard proc in the mission rewards but I think that would be pushing into the reputations
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

Care to explain why ?
    Because the apparance of the beam is the only interesting difference between them.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    This gets asked often, I've started at least a couple of threads on it myself.

Unfortunately the devs have said the engine does not support it (neither a single slot nor per-weapon changes) and there are no plans to add this feature :(
  • Options
    captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    > If they made weapon effects customizable, they may as well remove different weapon types from the game completely. Because they would be completely irrelevant.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Care to explain why ?
    >
    >
    >
    > Because the apparance of the beam is the only interesting difference between them

IIRC there was a time in sto where you could change the Colors of your beams?
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    I'd be more active in getting cosmetic gear for my ground characters if it wasn't locked up behind categories. Ship cosmetics I'm indifferent to, really the hull types and things given by shields, deflectors, and engines should be something unlocked in the ship costume designer and not those band-aid cosmetic slots in the paper doll.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    IIRC there was a time in sto where you could change the Colors of your beams?
    Yes, that was very very long time ago.
This discussion has been closed.