Install Arc
Options

Iconians in Star Trek: Discovery?

2»

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    If, and I do stress the word IF, they are having an Iconian... there is only one way to maintain the established timeline. Well... maybe two or three.
    1. They are never identified. IE Borg in ST: Enterprise episode Regeneration
    2. Captain Pike decides to leave the identity OUT of his report and basically says "this never happened"
    3. The Deciever angle. Something POSING as the Iconians in order to get something they want.

I still think we're dealing with something totally new and unknown. There is no evidence to say "Its Iconians." What evidence do we have? A purposefully blurry image of something walking towards Burnham, and a blink and you'll miss it reference to Iconian territory on a map depicting the war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire.

Hardly Proof Positive of Iconian activity in the 23rd Century.

Remember that by the mid 24th Century, Iconia was a legend. Its location lost to time. The power of the Demons of Air and Darkness were known even to the Federation LONG after the Iconians vanished from the galaxy. These legends would have had to exist for MUCH longer than just one episode of TNG. It is entirely possible, no... it is a FACT that the legend of Iconia was known to the Federation as far back as the 23rd Century. While they may not have found any working Iconian Gates or Iconia itself, the Iconians were an interstellar superpower in their time. Ruins would have been discovered and studied.

Ranting and raving about violating canon and whatnot before the season even starts based on circumstantial evidence...
    Its honestly better to just wait and see rather than rip it a new one without knowing what's going on.

Or Discovery is in an alternate timeline created by all the temporal chaos from Enterprise. How many times did we hear Daniel say that this was not supposed to happen? The entire Xindi arc didn't happen in the original timeline and that would cause a lot of changes to the timeline. With the amount of temporal changes in Enterprise it is idiotic to believe that nothing changed in TOS.
  • Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > marty123#3757 wrote: »
    >
    > Memory Alpha lists both Vulcan and Andoria in the Beta Quadrant
    >
    >
    >
    > Also incorrect
    >
    > http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Vulcan_(planet)
    > >Vulcan was an inhabited M-class planet in the Vulcan system, a system located in Sector 001 of the Alpha Quadrant.
    >
    > http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Andoria
    > >Andoria was an inhabited world orbiting a ringed gas giant in the Andorian system, in the Alpha Quadrant.

Because it was literally changed 5 mins ago by someone presumably you but I don’t want to argue with you when your being pathetic, discovery made a mistake who even cares
  • Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    >
    > Because it was literally changed 5 mins ago by someone presumably you but I don’t want to argue with you when your being pathetic, discovery made a mistake who even cares
    >
    >
    >
    > The edits came from someone(looks like you) changing it to Beta quadrant, and DarkHorizon, one of the most respected people on the wiki, changing it back to Alpha quadrant.
    >
    > Also, my account on the fandom wiki network is Sajuukkhar9000, so no, it wasn't me.

I really don’t care, if you really hate this game and discovery so much please just leave
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > Memory Alpha lists both Vulcan and Andoria in the Beta Quadrant
    >
    > Also incorrect
    >
    > http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Vulcan_(planet)
    > >Vulcan was an inhabited M-class planet in the Vulcan system, a system located in Sector 001 of the Alpha Quadrant.
    >
    > http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Andoria
    > >Andoria was an inhabited world orbiting a ringed gas giant in the Andorian system, in the Alpha Quadrant.

Because it was literally changed 5 mins ago by someone presumably you but I don’t want to argue with you when your being pathetic, discovery made a mistake who even cares
    Dude... https://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/U.S.S._Marvel You put your forum avatar on your wikia account.

Anyways, the real question is "Why does the wiki list them as Alpha Quadrant?". And the explanation for that is rather tenuous. But no depiction has shown them as being far from the Alpha/beta border AFAIK.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    People don't even see what they are doing. Things like how L'Rell holding the Chancellorship by threat of extinction perfectly explains why Kor told Kirk that all Klingon soldiers were under constant surveillance (TOS Errand of Mercy). Or how Spock rejecting the Vulcan Science Academy because Sarek sacrificed Michael's opportunity to join for him is a much better cause for Spock and his father not speaking as father & son for 18 years than what the KT gave us.
    Huh... I never thought about those connections. That... is actually VERY interesting.
    when I first saw that episode I thought it didn't make sense. You need something HUGE to create that level of animosity and the TOS ep suggested it was little more than a disagreement...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I think all this panic about the Borg Queen or whatever the hell that swirly, fuzzy, pink shape "might" be is plain daft.
    Despite what some fans will claim a fair bit of DSC is actually fitting in quite well with established canon stories and history, unless you want to be a ridiculous pedant and nit-pick every millisecond looking for faults.
    So even if it were Borg there'd be some explanation to it not being mentioned again. Lets not forget Enterprise already had the Borg and got away with it; the were never named, it was pre-Starfleet, the reports were probably classified by fleet command, the signal sent out a the end tied up nicely with the Borg approach later in TNG (though Q pushed the timescale ahead).

If it's Iconians i'd say it'll be dealt with the same way.

But tbh i suspect it's something else and people are loosing their minds over a few pixels for no reason.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    T'Kon! :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    when I first saw that episode I thought it didn't make sense. You need something HUGE to create that level of animosity and the TOS ep suggested it was little more than a disagreement...

I admit my TOS lore is a bit weak right now. Main episode I remember is Trouble with Tribbles, followed by a couple things from Balance of Terror. I can recognize the Planet Killer and how to kill one at least from Doomsday Device. I never actually sat down to watch a lot of TOS. I grew up with TNG honestly.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Little detail that just popped into my head, thinking about the new Picard series and Kurtzman's comments from comic con that he is planning a "TV Cinematic Trek Universe", thats what he has been hired to do with these new shows.

Picard has mind melded with both Sarek and Spock, he knows all about Michael. Could that tie in to Stewart’s comment about having a reason to catch up on Discovery? Obviously that could have just been about getting his mind thinking in Trek again, but what if there is a story to tell there. Could the story involve Spock's child? We know Picard met Sarek at "his son's wedding" so unless Sarek and Perrin had a child (not impossible), that was Spock's wedding. Or going with the little brother perhaps he wishes to meld with Picard to finally understand his brother the legend of Vulcan. Maybe we see Burnham's descendant, heck maybe Picard's story will directly tie into Michael & Spock's story this year. To paraphrase a wise man, "There are so many possibilities".

To note, it was actually intended that Spock had impregnated Saavik when he went through pon farr on the Genesis planet (that was why she stayed behind on Vulcan). In the script Kirk had a line that implied it but it ended up being cut. One of IIRC Diane Duane's novels later had Spock marrying Saavik.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    ...Kali-Ma?
    Patrick guessed it - the Dark Mother herself! :smiley:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png