test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery

Comments

• jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    37864332_10156218514735358_3394005018406289408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=2b4229d8afb4dd0f981f9d154a16b6d5&oe=5C0EA419

And....

[/quote]so a plastic construction tarp with a collar, on an actor is "better"....?! really now?[/quote]

YES, however I am sure you would love your Trek like this >

37840496_10156218775660358_1213097011490848768_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0c44b007b373245b3660116f74e3cf51&oe=5BD713BA

JtaDmwW.png
  • syphoreansyphorean Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    This makes me glad I decided against a Lifetime Subscription because forcing TRIBBLE down our throats alienates half the users, the old users and real trek fans. We suffered the little bits of TRIBBLE and bad reboot movies thrown at us, I deleted every lockbox I could just so it was one less potential bit of garbage and I bought a crossfield just so I could do a video of me deleting it. FOr my next trick, make this garbage an option not the rebooted STO or watch a thousand long time supporters of STO delete it. I am sure Subnautica needs designers.
    edited July 2018
    37845982_10156219683830358_5311682803396509696_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=fa6f699263bb22d20f3b7fa46d632a01&oe=5BD16C4B

outty
    JtaDmwW.png
  • thatsgottahurtthatsgottahurt Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Just don't do it. Discovery sucks and has no place in real trek.
    I won't purchase any discovery related content, and I hope the series gets canceled. It's poorly written, doesn't follow any canon at all, and generally sucks the big one.

I actually did purchase a bunch of Jem'Hadar stuff when I didn't think I was going to, because it picked up so many Star Trek alumni, and let us read about and play a lot of stuff that had already been established. Because I enjoyed the story so much, I bought the starter kit and the carrier ship. However, I won't have anything to do with discovery at all. You would be better off adding stuff from The Orville since it seems to be more 'Trek than Discovery is.

I honestly hope that show gets canceled.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Paying for merchandise is not the same thing as paying to watch a show, and furthermore the shows used to not be free to watch. ;)
    > @avoozuul said:
    > Paying for merchandise is not the same thing as paying to watch a show, and furthermore the shows used to not be free to watch. ;)

Oh well times change, people must change with it or get left behind.

Streaming is the way forward.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Paying for merchandise is not the same thing as paying to watch a show, and furthermore the shows used to not be free to watch. ;)

They were never free to watch. You paid for it by putting your eyeballs on the advertising that came with it.

"If you aren't paying money, you are the product."
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    > @starswordc said:
    > avoozuul wrote: »
    >
    > Paying for merchandise is not the same thing as paying to watch a show, and furthermore the shows used to not be free to watch. ;)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > They were never free to watch. You paid for it by putting your eyeballs on the advertising that came with it.
    >
    > "If you aren't paying money, you are the product."

That or depending on the country you had to pay for sky, cable or vhs.
    JtaDmwW.png
    edited July 2018
    The point I am trying to get to is they were possible to watch without paying direct money.
    edited July 2018
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Oh well times change, people must change with it or get left behind.
    Not all change is good change, some things need to be changed while others don't.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    millybun wrote: »
    Honestly, would rather have a bigger tie-in with the Kelvin timeline than the Discovery one.

Despite popular opinions, I've never really disliked or hated any of the Trek series that have come before, nor any of the movies (however, I do think Nemesis was a poor job at trying to be Wrath of Khan 2.0 and helped end classic Prime timeline). Even the new films I've at least generally enjoyed, with Beyond being my personal favorite, though it helps that they openly acknowledge the Kelvin timeline stands aside from the original timeline, giving me more room to accept its more drastic changes (Klingons, however, at least feel like Klingons there).

I agree that Nemesis was a drag. It also felt a bit like a TNG variant of ST6.
    • Diplomatic relations with a previously hostile superpower (Klingons in ST6/Romulans in Nemesis)
    • Assassination as part of the plot (Chancillor Gorkon/Romulan Senate)
    • Stealth Supership that can fire while cloaked (Chang's BoP/Scimitar)
    • Final on screen voyage of an Enterprise crew (TOS crew/TNG crew)

At first I too was skeptical about the Kelvin Timeline, but I gave it a chance and actually liked it. Did the same with Discovery, although it took me longer to see it because I don't have All Access so I had to wait to see it at my dad's place, and while there were a few low points, as expected in a first season where a show is still finding its footing, the more serious tone felt right for the particular story they wanted to tell. Now that they are going into a new season with what looks to be a fresh start, they're adding more lighthearted moments to help break up the tension now that they aren't at war.

Unlike TOS, Discovery has more of an overall story arc, which each episode being a chapter of that arc. We saw some of that in Enterprise, especially in season 3 with the Xindi. Honestly I didn't like the Xindi arc as much because Archer and Trip were a little TOO Rambo for revenge for most of it. Granted Trip had a pretty good reason. The visuals for Discovery don't bother me as much as even for a 23rd century setting, it looks advanced and futuristic from TODAY'S point of view, and honestly looks like it could evolve into the systems we saw in ST5/6 more easily than the systems we saw in TOS.

I'm looking forward to more Discovery, as the story isn't centered around the USS Enterprise, thus they can go in a different direction without fear of infringing on events the Enterprise took part in. And since it is Prime Timeline, we're getting an expanded look at what classes of starship were in service in the TOS era. Something we never got a look at canon wise.

As for the Klingons... Maybe if they didn't have those claw like fingernail things... it would be easier to accept them visually. And maybe if they were more tan/brown rather than grey it would fit in a bit better. I did like the more Feudal Japan feel of the Great Houses and their internal conflicts even with the war going on. Now the reason it wasn't really mentioned in TOS could be handwaved as tensions were still high. There was no formal treaty ending the war. It just went cold, which would lead into the relationship between the Federation and the Empire in TOS up until the Organian Treaty, and eventually Kitomer.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    YES, however I am sure you would love your Trek like this >

37840496_10156218775660358_1213097011490848768_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0c44b007b373245b3660116f74e3cf51&oe=5BD713BA

This is the WEAKEST argument that keeps being tossed around by Discovery defenders. Being faithful to the classic, canon aesthetic does not mean going back to cardboard, or transistors. Star Trek was made in the 60s and used those things because that's what they had to work with, but they were obviously using their imaginations with most of it. Paper cutouts with pictures printed on them were used as computer monitors for example, but they were still supposed to be computer monitors. Today our technology is advanced enough that we can actually make those fake monitors REAL. For example, this was done on Star Trek Enterprise when the USS Defiant bridge was recreated. They made the the monitors above the stations actual monitors that were animated. Or look at this video here. That tricorder looks exactly like the classic tricorder, but modern tech makes that little screen REAL. It actually works!

You don't have to completely redesign EVERY aspect of the universe in order to update it.

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Everyone needs to stop the arguing. Discovery is coming. Like it or not. No amount of complaining and begging for it not to happen is going to stop it, because you know considerable time and effort has already been put into it. Plus, CBS wants it as they are working alongside Cryptic. Why focus on the negative? Think about the positive. And if you can't... Well, maybe take a break. STO will be here when you get back.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • azyurionazyurion Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery - ambassadorkael

As willing as I have been to spend time and _money_ on the Victory Is Life expansion, I will be equally opposed to such outlays for any expansion based on the atrocious CBS faux-Trek series Discovery. That non-Roddenberry "Trek-ish" show is a train wreck. My abhorrence has nothing to due with socio-political issues, but the pathetic (often canon-breaking) script-writing, poor acting and just horrific costuming, sets, tech and creature designs. Hopefully, Cryptic will convince CBS to rapidly green light a non-Discovery follow-on event/project, because if the idea is to lock STO up to that series it would be unfortunate for the game and its players, in my humble opinion.
  • atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    I'm ataloss for words. I approve of this idea.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
    edited July 2018
    My only concern is that many previous canon ships already in the game won't be getting the T6 updates they need now that they are focusing more on the ST:D content.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Stop with all the extensive quotes already!!! Use some judgement and edit out the superfluous fluff.

Every time a DSC (correct official abbreviation for all the supposedly clever ones out there) Thread gets started they crawl out of the woodwork. The haters, the deniers, the Medieval Monks who debate for time immemorial how many Angels can fit on the end of a pin.

It's CANON already, and all the throwing of your PCs out a ten story window is not going to change that. The licensee will develop what is desired by the licensor.

LOTRO went through the same thing back in 2012. The 'Riders of Rohan' Expansion was released in October without its Instance Cluster. That 'Road to Erebor' Cluster was released a few months later but it was set 60 or so years earlier at the time of 'The Hobbit', which had recently released in the Theaters. Uproar. But here too they wanted a tie in to what was occurring in the 'real world'. Marketing.

As long as someone else owns the rights they dictate the direction.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • nathanstadelnathanstadel Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I just want to say that I don't want Tier 6 reputations, that is a dumb idea. Now, you want me to rep grind across multiple toons to get new rewards on toons where the rep system is finished. I do not want to hear, "The transports are leaving the starbase" anymore. Please scrap the Tier 6 reputation idea.

I'm ok with Discovery episodes. I don't want playable Klingons from that era though. They should only be in those episodes. Also, I don't want another recruitment event.
    edited July 2018
    My only concern is that many previous canon ships already in the game won't be getting the T6 updates they need now that they are focusing more on the ST:D content.

What all is left that doesn't have a T6? AFAIK we're pretty much down to just the Nova series and the Vor'cha (which, admittedly the latter is a pretty big omission), plus a bunch of non-faction ships.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• antiquesroadshowantiquesroadshow Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Despite the Discovery debate. Hopefully they can update the character graphics and costumes in the game. And maybe Phasers could have different beam settings like in the shows? This is a great time to redo a lot of broken game designs. The end of holograms on weapons?!!? The great news is STO is growing after 8 years.
    > @starswordc said:
    >
    > My only concern is that many previous canon ships already in the game won't be getting the T6 updates they need now that they are focusing more on the ST:D content.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What all is left that doesn't have a T6? AFAIK we're pretty much down to just the Nova series and the Vor'cha (which, admittedly the latter is a pretty big omission), plus a bunch of non-faction ships.

The Luna I sooooooooo want a T6 Luna
    JtaDmwW.png
    starswordc wrote: »

What all is left that doesn't have a T6? AFAIK we're pretty much down to just the Nova series and the Vor'cha (which, admittedly the latter is a pretty big omission), plus a bunch of non-faction ships.
    You know those aren't the only remaining ships which don't have T6 versions, there's also the Oberth, Luna, Constellation, Steamrunner, and whatever else.

edited July 2018
    > @starswordc said:
    >
    > My only concern is that many previous canon ships already in the game won't be getting the T6 updates they need now that they are focusing more on the ST:D content.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What all is left that doesn't have a T6? AFAIK we're pretty much down to just the Nova series and the Vor'cha (which, admittedly the latter is a pretty big omission), plus a bunch of non-faction ships.

The Luna I sooooooooo want a T6 Luna

Technically not a canon ship. :wink: And if they wanted to make a T6 Luna they might have to go talk to Pocket Books to get the rights again (don't quote me on that though, I'm not a lawyer and I have no idea how the licensing agreement for the Luna and Vesta worked).
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited July 2018
    Yes not a canon ship but they still have it in game and it still needs a T6 version, I hope they can get the rights to it again. But the one ship I want most is a T6 Oberth, it's the only one of the TMP ships which they STILL haven't updated.
  • jesterdavid#0862 jesterdavid Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Hopefully we'll get the Discovery Enterprise costumes. Those are pretty slick, and should be super easy as it's just removing the metallic aspects from the existing Discovery uniforms.
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    Honestly was hoping for actual exploration into the Gamma Quadrant. To quote Picard "Can anyone remember when we use to be explorers?"

I like phaser battles, ships blowing up, red/gold shirts dying as much as the next person, but what happened to just scanning a damn plant and giving the mission a reason other than blowing up thousands of lives on wave after wave of ships?

As far as bringing fresh ideas into the game because now were following a show...again not sure about that, I haven't seen much exploration in all honesty out of a show called Discovery yet either.

For the t6 reputation, I think all of us are on the same page about this one....why? (I don't speak for all of us) I know many in my fleet and others that are honestly tired of the mark grind especially on new characters that have even a harder time getting the older sets of marks, should just make it a universal system and get rid of the unique mark factor, keep the rare material for gear separate but at least make it so marks are just marks now, period.

As for which is better, Discovery or Orville, while I am desperately wanting an Orville lockbox, its a different universe. I for one do lean toward Orville, its just brighter on the whole, yes jokes aside it still feels more like trek in the spirit of it, while discovery honestly for me felt like the biggest doom and gloom yet.

At the end, I feel like this is the NGE of SWG for STO, the community is very well split, and I do believe people might just up and leave that are against Discovery content on a larger scale than just a box with a few trinkets. As a moderator put it, its happening regardless of our own wants and desires. So I will just fight for the reputation system to at least be heavily considered to be more alt friendly in any way.
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    bunansa wrote: »
    For the t6 reputation, I think all of us are on the same page about this one....why? (I don't speak for all of us) I know many in my fleet and others that are honestly tired of the mark grind especially on new characters that have even a harder time getting the older sets of marks, should just make it a universal system and get rid of the unique mark factor, keep the rare material for gear separate but at least make it so marks are just marks now, period.
    this is a question that can't be answered without knowing what the sixth tier DOES.
    dmb311 wrote: »
    I need to fight beside Mirror Universe Captain Killy!
    WANT!
    And this is exactly why I have a problem with Discovery being touted as 'prime'. It's a conflict of TOS. Nothing matches up.
    TOS conflicts with EVERYTHING that came later. It's only canon because it's the first series.
    where2r1 wrote: »
    But the reality is: Star Trek Discovery is dark, negative action type thing....which is exactly what Star Trek Online IS. So...together, story wise, it is probably gonna be a good fit. It should be easy to pull off.
    TOS had a LOT of dark moments too.
    thay8472 wrote: »
    What exactly did the TRIBBLE Blingons do that was honourable? Suicide bombings? Attacking civilian outposts? Threatening to destroy their own homeworld because they weren't united in a war they were winning?
    You mean like the TNG/DS9/VOY era Klingons who used cloaking devices to lay waste to their enemy before they could even be seen, who triggered solar flares to destroy enemy ships and stations?

You seem to forget that, as Worf states, the greatest honor a Klingon can obtain in battle is victory. How they achieve it doesn't matter.
    Yeah, the Klingon concept of honor is basically "who brags loudest".
    Please have the interiors so the Walker and Crossfields feel more complete, unlockable MU Discovery uniforms too for all characters.
    Oh yes, I love how the Discovery Mirror uniforms look!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg