test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wide Ignore System

jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
Could you please make it so that if people have a flatout ignore everyone turned on that they cannot speak to you or invite you to fleets/groups.

I shouldn't have to deal with spam invites (I shouldn't have to turn them off, people shouldn't be just invite without asking) with no way to communicate with the person doing it.

Comments

• jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    Something seriously needs to be done about this, people should not be able to send you tells or invite you to anything if they have everyone on ignore.
  • rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Note: I am not talking mainly on this post regarding spam invites, which I am off course against. I am talking here about an issue which might cause people to not see what you write/look as if they ignore you without them meaning to and without you being ignored. Note that in SOME cases you can still be heard by say/channel they participate even that way, while in other times you can't. As for what's going on, it will be elaborated bellow even if can't help much ATM. Sorry for not being eloquent.

What the OP described may be some kind of a privacy settings issue on their side, they most likely didn't mean to ignore you in that case.

Settings error (unintentionally/without understanding the wide consequences of a specific setting) or settings bug.
    (o->privacy settings reset or shown to be OK while not updated properly and are wrong and not as shown)

IMO, ignoring them may not be the solution in that case, it's not done by purpose and may be solve-able, you could possibly have a friend or a guildy of them or a public channel which they can see which hopefully has also guildies/friends there, help them change it. (they typically can at least see friends and guildies' chat and whispers, sometimes and very frequently, no more. Other times, for example, they can see chat but only whispers (or party or fleet join requests) are affected in which way they can only see their friend's or guildies')

I was on "both sides of the equation" so I know it can happen non maliciously.

Can't help more ATM but maybe people like ruinthefun can comment here orderly or I can try to add non accurate non eloquent info later if no other one does better. Basically they will have (to be asked by a friend/guildy) to force update the relevant privacy setting, by either commands or GUI.

P.S.
    I definitely think people should not invite to fleet without asking 1st. But this beside that issue of privacy option bug/issue.
    Post edited by rndfluctuation#1470 on
  • jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    Note: I am not talking mainly on this post regarding spam invites, which I am off course against. I am talking here about an issue which might cause people to not see what you write/look as if they ignore you without them meaning to and without you being ignored. Note that in SOME cases you can still be heard by say/channel they participate even that way, while in other times you can't. As for what's going on, it will be elaborated bellow even if can't help much ATM. Sorry for not being eloquent.

What the OP described may be some kind of a privacy settings issue on their side, they most likely didn't mean to ignore you in that case.

Settings error (unintentionally/without understanding the wide consequences of a specific setting) or settings bug.
    (o->privacy settings reset or shown to be OK while not updated properly and are wrong and not as shown)

IMO, ignoring them may not be the solution in that case, it's not done by purpose and may be solve-able, you could possibly have a friend or a guildy of them or a public channel which they can see which hopefully has also guildies/friends there, help them change it. (they typically can at least see friends and guildies' chat and whispers, sometimes and very frequently, no more. Other times, for example, they can see chat but only whispers (or party or fleet join requests) are affected in which way they can only see their friend's or guildies')

I was on "both sides of the equation" so I know it can happen non maliciously.

Can't help more ATM but maybe people like ruinthefun can comment here orderly or I can try to add non accurate non eloquent info later if no other one does better. Basically they will have (to be asked by a friend/guildy) to force update the relevant privacy setting, by either commands or GUI.

P.S.
    I definitely think people should not invite to fleet without asking 1st. But this beside that issue of privacy option bug/issue.

There is no issue, in privacy settings you can have it so only fleet members can PM you and if turned on you should follow the same system and not be able to PM people outside of fleet.
    edited July 2018
    Some past issues' topics which may be related - no idea which, if any, is affecting people now possibly.
    Solution posted by others could be found there, regarding chat and tell. Party may be sometimes affected too.

people "seeing a half of a conversation" (chat issue) https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/13370865
    possibly due to https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1220980/zone-chat or a similar issue

unwanted setting issue/bug (whispers issue) https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/13114671

definitely a problem/bug (chat issue) https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/13041400

(chat issues/unwanted settings) https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/12809993

This issue was common... I had it myself and also had another person looks like he intended to ignore me while he had this issue too.

Also some people tried to change privacy settings/party settings or visibility SELECTIVELY but the change was more wide than they intended (without a clear indication for such at the time they changed) or that game's options privacy settings showed. (settings shows as if they disabled something while they had it practically enabled et) So I see it as an issue.

I am not an eloquent person so can't write this very orderly. Will try to gather some commands together later to post here possibly, to encompass some common chat, whisper and maybe party setting "corrections" (force update settings, sometimes by toggling a setting twice) too. (suggestion by others) or, people could enforce update by the GUI as well.

There are some more complex issues involving interaction with anonymous/visible only to friend/visible settings (or a change of those settings) along with some party specific settings, and those privacy settings issues/various party invite states, which I can't help with though.
    edited July 2018
    An update to stop making the post longer

Could be some or all of those commands are outdated, and may not work anymore.
    When a command doesn't work, you can try the GUI option (typically for party/invites, tell and chat, press (again) the right/desired radio button settings in O privacy options, even if it pressed, or, to toggle in TWO steps, press the wrong settings, apply and close, then in O privacy option press the right setting, apply and close) Or just give up.

Once you see "Whitelist disabled for <something>" then you know you changed successfully the matching setting to ALLOW such from the public (in that regard, any of party invites, tells/whispers, and chat)

If you can't see it after pressing (again?) the radio button (or after using the matching enable then DISABLE command), for example, then you probably couldn't change that specific settings.
    *the specific invite "fix" found to no longer work. maybe other option change can help you but I can't suggest it here as it's a mess and unsure it works nowadays.

If you want to change visibility option, which is A MESS in my opinion, mind you it might affect party/invites, chat, and whispers (tell) settings too, so you might want to force verify those after you change visibility or otherwise team settings
    edited July 2018
    For people who are affected by chat / whisper issues while their settings looks fine -

Chat issue while your settings look OK, you don't ignore people and you are in the correct channel and tab (channel ticked)? Try:
    valoreah wrote: »
    Using the chat commands seems to have cleared the issue for me.

/whitelist_chat 1
    /whitelist_chat 0
    The second command will disable whitelist for chat, which is what you wanted.

Whisper issues while people say you ignore them but you don't and you didn't mean to?
    It could be a bug in privacy option/how those are saved (unless off course you set it that way).
    This is an alternate explanation to the above.

Try to type the following TWO commands in chat:
    /Whitelist_Tells 1
    press enter, and then right after:
    /Whitelist_Tells 0
    press enter.

Sometimes something is bugged in privacy options and this (and sometimes other) option needs to be forced updated. What which the above two commands do, is (enabling and then) DISABLING whitelist for tells.

Sorry, many people helped in that regard so I don't know whom to give credit for.

By my own experience, sometimes merely changing visibility and changing it back might cause privacy options to bug, (even if those look ok/like those were before,) such as those related to zone chatting, party invite and whispers.
    Again, it's the second command which "does the magic" - it disables whitelist for tell.

Likewise, I'd assume the matching "short" fix for the invite issue
    (if one wants to get invites from all and can't) would be (get help from autocomplete please!):
    /Whitelist_Invites 0
    (and enter)

however this may not fully takes into an account some people with other team settings/anonymous or partial anonymous status. This can still help though.

[removed a part with a quote which was potentially useful (regarding anonymity status and open team) but couldn't explain well "when" to use it]

This all could be done also from the GUI (either press the right option (possibly "again") in o -> team settings -> privacy settings for chat, party/invites and tells settings (or other settings which work wrong for you there), EVEN if those looks right, then apply and close (or OK), OR, for the more tedious way - of two steps for each settings - 1st toggle to wrong settings and then apply and close (or OK) and then toggle to the right settings then apply and close (or OK) to FORCE update the right settings) but this is hard to explain since it sometimes shows the settings to be how it should be, while the setting is not like this and need to be forcefully updated. Team settings and anonymity could also be changed by the GUI but it was not directly added here due to some factors, and it's very messy in general.

*post was accidentally deleted, trying again.
    edited July 2018
    to simplify things and make a long story short, if one can not see chat messages beside his friends and guildies, won't hurt to try typing in the chatbox
    /whitelist_chat 0
    and enter

if one can't see whispers beside his friends' and guildies, one can try typing in the chatbox
    /Whitelist_Tells 0
    and enter

If one complains on seeing a half conversation or it looks like he "ignores" many by accident without being aware to this, try to have a friend/guildy telling him/her those two commands - maybe it could help.

Unsure if it helps and it depends on the cause of the issue.
    No solution (partial or not) to party invite issue - this is no longer a setting which you can change directly however some people possibly have it bugged or it might get bugged by some other changes like visibility option change which has/had some issues. team settings may also be a place to check, if one has a team issue, ofc.

Sorry for many posts and a lot of mess.