test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PC Game Backup

PC Game Backup

I recently had to do a Reset install of Windows 10 because of a Component failure. I was able to back up most of my games with STEAM,
but attempting to back STO up through steam fails around 20%

I understand why a constantly updating game could be difficult to back up, but the game itself is a fairly large download.
I think it was 15 GB last time I checked.

I ran a search and google was not helpful. One STO wiki from 2010 has a backup and restore guide,
but it cuts off after instructions on how to find the install directory.

Reddit was a bit more helpful, saying that backing up the game directory can work, but can also cause problems due to not being properly installed.

This forum had one post, from 2015 requesting a solution, it had no replies.

Is there an official solution?
Tagged:

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Easiest way to back up your Steam install of STO:

Just find the directory where the game is installed. This is usually in the Steam\Steam Apps\Common folder.

Copy the entire folder as is to another location.

Once the new PC is up, install steam as normal. After steam is installed, move the backed up directory into your new Steam\Steam Apps\Common folder. This path is auto created by steam and should already exist. Just move it there.

Go into steam and 'install' Star Trek Online as you normally would.

Steam will see that the path already has game files and instead of downloading the game it will say it's 'discovering installed files.' Once done, it might install a small launcher patch, but the game will be ready to play. All previous settings and key binds should be preserved. It should only take steam a couple minutes to scan all the files and the game will be ready to play through Steam or stand alone using the .exe located in the same folder.

Star Trek Online does not make windows registry entries. The game is entirely self contained in the Star Trek Online folder and can be played from that folder from any location on your PC.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • afreebyafreeby Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    Wow, that is an extremely helpful reply. Thank you!