test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just a thought...

Okay, I know that there are much better ships available for anyone wanting to actually spend money on the game, however, I was thinking with the R&D set up, along with research in the crew section, why not add a feature where it is possible to spend credits, dilithium, etc to for the players to actually upgrade ships with a bit of effort?

I mean, in the wet water navy, that is what drydocks are for, repair, modification, updating etc.

Set an limit on just how far a player could go with the project, require research and duty officer tasks with the reward being in construction points, instead of the current rewards for duty officer tasks.

It could even be tied in with the fabrication side of the game.

Nothing greater than the ship design could actually support of course, meaning each class would be limited to what ever the current ship available for purchase with zen.

The ship under construction would be unplayable for the duration of the work.

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    jlf1961 wrote: »
    Okay, I know that there are much better ships available for anyone wanting to actually spend money on the game, however, I was thinking with the R&D set up, along with research in the crew section, why not add a feature where it is possible to spend credits, dilithium, etc to for the players to actually upgrade ships with a bit of effort?

I mean, in the wet water navy, that is what drydocks are for, repair, modification, updating etc.

Set an limit on just how far a player could go with the project, require research and duty officer tasks with the reward being in construction points, instead of the current rewards for duty officer tasks.

It could even be tied in with the fabrication side of the game.

Nothing greater than the ship design could actually support of course, meaning each class would be limited to what ever the current ship available for purchase with zen.

The ship under construction would be unplayable for the duration of the work.
    Unless very limited such an stat editing system would unbalance the game even more then it already is at this point you can within reason do most of the content without paying a dime. However one of the reasons this is possible is that range of ships is relatively Limited, Cryptic doesn't got infinite resources and making such a system that is fair to all users would take a lot time and effort, time and effort better spent elsewhere.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Not a workable proposition at all. Every ship is a unique (and from my understanding extensive) database entry. To allow for ship modifications, the ship design team would have to literally create a brand new ship for every possible combination of ship mod/upgrade. Even with the current T5/T5U system, you are not actually "upgrading" your T5 ship, you are literally getting rid of your old T5 and trading it for a totally different ship, your new T5U.

That is why not all T5 can be upgraded to T5U, although the design team created a large number of T5 ships, they only created x number of T5U ships. Since you are not actually upgrading the ship, but trading it for an improved version, you can only trade the ships that they actually created an improved version for.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png