test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Flashing grass on Risa

2»

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    As long as that button to select Lighting 2.0 on or off remains....we can use either or....our choice.

Now, clicking on that "Use Slider" button will immediately switch all sorts of things around...including turning on Lighting 2.0. Change your settings manually and individually...don't use that "Use Slider" button!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I've had this on New Romulus for a while. Turning on Lighting 2.0 seems to fix it. It is as if they are trying to force players to use that crappy lighting system.
    Oh and whenever I change something on graphics settings Lighting 2.0 mysteriously turns itself on.

I spent some time running around New Romulus tonight. For me, turning on Lighting 2.0 alone does not fix the issue. Turning on both Lighting 2.0 and shadows does fix the issue. Turning on shadows alone does not fix the issue.

To summarize, here's what I've observed so far.

On Risa

There appear to be two bugs.

Light green flashing grass: For me, setting "Shadows" to "Low", "Medium", or "High" fixes the issue.
    Blue-green flashing grass: For me, setting "Limit Frame Rate" to 30 fixes the issue.

On New Romulus

If there are two bugs instead of one, I am unable to tell on New Romulus.

For me, none of the following alone fixes the issue:

(1) setting "Limit Frame Rate" to 30
    (2) setting "Shadows" to "Low", "Medium", or "High"
    (3) setting "Lighting 2.0" to "On"

However, (2) and (3) in combination fix the issue for me.

Vanilla, don't eat this post.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    edited July 2018
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I spent some time running around New Romulus tonight. For me, turning on Lighting 2.0 alone does not fix the issue. Turning on both Lighting 2.0 and shadows does fix the issue. Turning on shadows alone does not fix the issue.

To summarize, here's what I've observed so far.

On Risa

There appear to be two bugs.

Light green flashing grass: For me, setting "Shadows" to "Low", "Medium", or "High" fixes the issue.
    Blue-green flashing grass: For me, setting "Limit Frame Rate" to 30 fixes the issue.

On New Romulus

If there are two bugs instead of one, I am unable to tell on New Romulus.

For me, none of the following alone fixes the issue:

(1) setting "Limit Frame Rate" to 30
    (2) setting "Shadows" to "Low", "Medium", or "High"
    (3) setting "Lighting 2.0" to "On"

However, (2) and (3) in combination fix the issue for me.

Vanilla, don't eat this post.

I am no longer seeing the blue-green flashes on Risa. Did they fix it without telling us? On the other hand, I'm still seeing light green flashes as I fly or run past the grass on Risa. And I'm still seeing flashing grass on New Romulus.
    qVpg1km.png
    I still have not got to New Romulus....

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    Hey, I am seeing the flashing grass on New Romulus.

It is the art for the tufts of grass that gives dimension to the over all "lawn" areas. BUT only at a certain distance it turns into blobs ...once I get up close it is missing something, but it still looks grassy. See pic:

6m8q0DQ.jpg

OK... I turned Lighting 2.0 on...Shadows is on Medium.

And the tufts of grass is no longer flashing...but it is still missing details...and looks volumes worse. Because the rest of the lawn goes missing in the shady areas...which I can correct by turning shadows OFF on Lighting 2.0. I think you can tell what the problem is with the grass here...it is missing a layer of detail???

GgavslY.jpg

where2r1 wrote: »
    Hey, I am seeing the flashing grass on New Romulus.

It is the art for the tufts of grass that gives dimension to the over all "lawn" areas. BUT only at a certain distance it turns into blobs ...once I get up close it is missing something, but it still looks grassy. See pic:

6m8q0DQ.jpg
    where2r1 wrote: »
    OK... I turned Lighting 2.0 on...Shadows is on Medium.

And the tufts of grass is no longer flashing...but it is still missing details...and looks volumes worse. Because the rest of the lawn goes missing in the shady areas...which I can correct by turning shadows OFF on Lighting 2.0. I think you can tell what the problem is with the grass here...it is missing a layer of detail???

GgavslY.jpg

Yes, the grass on New Romulus stops flashing if I turn on both shadows and Lighting 2.0, but not if I turn on only one of those. I'm not really sure if the grass is missing details, but it is the wrong color if you turn on Lighting 2.0. When Lighting 2.0 is off, the grass is clearly green . When Lighting 2.0 is on, the grass turns blue, almost lavender; it's almost the same color as the flowers around it. Distorted colors are a general problem with Lighting 2.0, however. That's one of the reasons why I keep Lighting 2.0 off most of the time.
    qVpg1km.png
  • borgus1122borgus1122 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    I have a same issue. And it's not only on grass, but everywhere. I mean, it's not like grass is always flashing, but every now and then. And those flashes are appearing also on New Romulus and on the water on Risa. But it's not game breaking, becouse as I said, those flashes appear every now and than, and it's like someone would take photos wit flas on. Well, so I take it like: "Risa is beautiful place, and people are taking pictures for memories." :)
    edited July 2018
    This bug is still happening after the patch on June 26, 2018. Are we going to see a fix before the summer event ends?

borgus1122 wrote: »
    I have a same issue. And it's not only on grass, but everywhere. I mean, it's not like grass is always flashing, but every now and then. And those flashes are appearing also on New Romulus and on the water on Risa. But it's not game breaking, becouse as I said, those flashes appear every now and than, and it's like someone would take photos wit flas on. Well, so I take it like: "Risa is beautiful place, and people are taking pictures for memories." :)

It's not an "every now and then" thing for me. I see it every time I fly by or run across the grass. You probably would too if you turned off both shadows and Lighting 2.0.
    qVpg1km.png
    This bug is still happening on both Risa and New Romulus after the patch on August 16, 2018.
    qVpg1km.png
    edited September 2018
    I see something different on Tribble with the grass on New Romulus.

It seems to only be flashing on the tall grass growing in the deep shade of buildings....but not flashing grass growing in the sun. ???

I had to fly to New Rom on Holodeck and double check.
    Sure enough...flashing whether in sun or shade.

Didn't get much further than this....no time right now. Sorry, frtoaster.

• iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I'm also now getting the flashing grass on Kobali Prime. The bug is either spreading or I haven't been back to KP for a looooong time.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    Well, happened to wander onto New Romulus...on my way to Drozana to get some Mark boxes to unlock vanity shields....

Now, the tall grass is not flashing in the shade OR in the sun (with Lighting 1.0). BUT it looks so flat, and one dimensional, it doesn't even stand out from the background grass pattern, blends right in.

So, they are still doing something.

Update after "Age of Discovery"

The grass is still flashing on Risa, New Romulus, and Kassae IV in the mission "Researcher Rescue". The bug is reproducible both with Lighting 2.0 and without Lighting 2.0.

I noticed a few changes after "Age of Discovery":

1. On Risa, the flashing green bobs appear at a further distance than before. If you want to see the bug up close and personal, play "Researcher Rescue", go to Kassae IV, and turn off both shadows and Lighting 2.0.

2. If I turn shadows on and Lighting 2.0 off, I no longer see the flashing green bobs on New Romulus. Instead, I see the tall grass and shadows fade in as I get closer. The bug still occurs if I turn shadows off, whether or not Lighting 2.0 is on. The bug is actually more noticeable with Lighting 2.0, because the color of the grass sticking up from the ground doesn't match the color of the flat terrain below.
    qVpg1km.png
    This bug is still happening. I was on Defera today stabilizing Omega molecules. The grass flashes there too.
    qVpg1km.png
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    I know this was from a year ago but when I was playing Survivor on my Delta Recruit, there was weird grass popping in during that mission on the ground. Is that problem related to the grass flashing on Risa or could it be a separate issue?
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    edited July 2019
    The grass is still flashing on Risa, more than a year later. It would be nice if we could get this fixed before the summer event ends.

sthe91 wrote: »
    I know this was from a year ago but when I was playing Survivor on my Delta Recruit, there was weird grass popping in during that mission on the ground. Is that problem related to the grass flashing on Risa or could it be a separate issue?

As far as I can tell, this bug occurs on any map where there's grass that sticks up out of the ground.
    qVpg1km.png
    This bug is still happening, two years later. Every time I fly past the grass on Risa, I see flashing green blobs.
    qVpg1km.png
    I visited Risa today for the summer event, and the grass is still flashing, three years later.
    qVpg1km.png
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    I again know this is from a year ago but there is still flashing grass on Risa while under Lighting 1.0. It also appears a little with Lighting 2.0.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,245 Community Moderator
    /moved to Bug Reports subforum for greater visibility.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch