test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Space combat - possible to continue ‘actions’ when hit?

smearcampaign#2565 smearcampaign Member Posts: 14 Arc User
I’ve tried to find an answer to this but I don’t know how to phrase the search properly.

When in space combat, certain mission specific actions take a few seconds, such as transferring power, beaming something up or down, or conducting a deep scan.

If your ship is hit before the action is complete, you have to start it again (by pressing F or whatever). Is there a way of completing these actions despite being hit?

I think on some occasions I’ve clearly been hit multiple times yet the action has continued to completion. Most of the time one hit ends it.

Thanks very much!

Comments

• ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Nope. If you get hit while in the middle of the action, it is cancelled. As far as I know, there's no way around this. That goes for most actions during queues.

Extremely annoying at times, but that's game mechanics for you, i guess.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    While it doesn't work for all interacts, Temorary HP from things like Attack Pattern Expertise in the Pilot Specialization will prevent that interact from being stopped while it's active. Overshields or Perfect Shields will also usually work. It works well for things like the Dyson Sphere Battlezone, as those interacts aren't interupted unless you take hull damage.

For other queues where taking any hits stops the interact, there's the option of not taking hits by using either a distraction, like Hangar pets, or a pseudo-cloak that still lets you do interacts like Intel Team or the Active Reputation ability from Romulan Reputation.

Then, there's the most popular option: Kill everything, preferably quickly. Once their warpcore goes, they can't stop you from interacting anymore.
  • harlequinpixieharlequinpixie Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    It's one of those daft mechanics that really makes no sense. As bleeding on ground (DoT) stops you activating things to. As others have said, temporary hit points solve it.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    All such actions require a crew member physically touching the controls at all times to complete. For safety purposes, all such actions are programmed to reset to nil if physical contact with the controls is interrupted. As shown in all series and movies, even a minor hit to a starship hull results in crew members being tossed around the ship like bingo balls in a hopper due to the complete lack of any type of restraint systems, resulting in the actions being interrupted.
    For some unknown reason, this also results in everyone but the Captain forgetting what they were doing just before the ship got hit, requiring the Captain to reissue the orders.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • smearcampaign#2565 smearcampaign Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Thanks everyone! I’m going to select some temporary hit point features for all characters. Sometimes being hit hasn’t affected it and I couldn’t work out why. I must have had temporary HP on at the time.