test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help on a Hangar/Pet Exotic damage build

anystassiaanystassia Member Posts: 10 Arc User
Hi Captains. So i'm returning to Sto after a long break. I Purchased the Vanguard pack i'm currently in the Vanguard Dread Carrier. I really the "pet" aspect of any game I play so in Sto that equates to Hangar bays. I really Enjoy that the Vanguard Dread gets A lot of pets. You get the 2 wingmen, the detachable fighter and 2 hangar bays that deploy 2 fighters each. I'm Also enjoying that it is Sci heavy.

Is this ship one of my best options for someone wanting to concentrate on Pets and Exotic damage? I know there are other ships that can deploy more pets in total, Like the Obelisk and stuff, but i dont know if those swarmers out damage the compliment this carrier can bring.

Also, aside from the obvious "put particle gens on if you want exotic damage", is there any other advanced tactics or modules and tricks, traits, skills or settups i should look into for this Pet/Exotic build?

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Hello. :)

I am a bit confused. Are we talking about the Vanguard Dreadnought or the Vanguard Carrier?

In any case as for pets I'd pick the elite vanguard gunboats from a T5 Starbase (u can contact me in game if you don’t have access).
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    anystassia wrote: »
    Hi Captains. So i'm returning to Sto after a long break. I Purchased the Vanguard pack i'm currently in the Vanguard Dread Carrier. I really the "pet" aspect of any game I play so in Sto that equates to Hangar bays. I really Enjoy that the Vanguard Dread gets A lot of pets. You get the 2 wingmen, the detachable fighter and 2 hangar bays that deploy 2 fighters each. I'm Also enjoying that it is Sci heavy.

Is this ship one of my best options for someone wanting to concentrate on Pets and Exotic damage? I know there are other ships that can deploy more pets in total, Like the Obelisk and stuff, but i dont know if those swarmers out damage the compliment this carrier can bring.

Also, aside from the obvious "put particle gens on if you want exotic damage", is there any other advanced tactics or modules and tricks, traits, skills or settups i should look into for this Pet/Exotic build?
    The Vanguard Dread Carrier is the best ship in game for pet builds by far and it can deploy more pets then even the Obelisk. Add in the pet consoles and pet traits and you can have a good sized powerful fleet. That was meant to be my main build but I got distracted with the unexpected mine boosts.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I don't own a full fed carrier equivalent to compare it to but the Vanguard Carrier stock pets sum have reached 25K dps for me on a VG Jem'hadar toon. A decent amount of aux power with high spikes (2 copies of OSS) and 3 points into coordination protocols in the spec are the only "tricks" I'm using aside from GW3.

I'm not particularly heavy in Pgens, ControlX, or DrainX, but well over 100 in each. No DSR beam or relevant mission or fleet research lab consoles either so have not yet completed or maximized the build so am sure things could be improved upon. I don't know if others are using specific traits or doffs to buff the pets but am using the Carrier trait. Think the pets may be close to optimized aside from getting higher quality ones (mentioned above) but my base build could do more. Am finding the console that came off one of the VG ships that puts a form of frenzy on a target quite handy for bosses for the time being.

The wingmen (perhaps they're ladies) seem to be more effective when actively directed at a larger target. The only ship I have to compare it to is a T5-FU Karfi carrier whose elite frigate pets reach or just break 20K on a regular basis.

The carrier is an nice ship with some interesting new pet mechanics that seem to work well. The Vanguard Dreadnought Cruiser seems to have A2B written all over it given it's boff layout as some of the engineering command positions seem lackluster. Still waiting for Tier 6 mastery to use it on a toon that has technician doffs, but am wondering how the lower aux power will affect the pets.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your ship.
  • anystassiaanystassia Member Posts: 10 Arc User

I am a bit confused. Are we talking about the Vanguard Dreadnought or the Vanguard Carrier?

In any case as for pets I'd pick the elite vanguard gunboats from a T5 Starbase (u can contact me in game if you don’t have access).

I am using the Jam'Hadar Vanguard Carrier, sorry for misinforming and saying Dreadnaught. As for the pets, I am in a fleet that has access to them. I just need to save up the Dilithium for them.

I am confused as what people are mentioning though. "Add in the pet consoles and pet traits". This is what i dont know about. What consoles and traits are they talking about?

I am using the Jam'Hadar Vanguard Carrier, sorry for misinforming and saying Dreadnaught. As for the pets, I am in a fleet that has access to them. I just need to save up the Dilithium for them.

I am confused as what people are mentioning though. "Add in the pet consoles and pet traits". This is what i dont know about. What consoles and traits are they talking about?

Hey there no problem at all. :)

Think for a carrier you got 2 really awesome pet specific traits that come to mind.

The first one is sadly not cheap from exchange but would see to it that each time you launch a new set of pets the others are healed and hit harder:

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Scramble_Fighters

The other one is a personal trait which will help your pets to rank up twice as fast:

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Wing_Commander

I use them both on my Recluse supporter and would use them here as well as your pets goanna be a main source of dmg.
    The Vanguard carrier itself it is versatile enough to either go exotic or more conventional with energy weapons, whatever you like more. Only downside is that on both approaches you can’t go into the extreme. As for exotics there is no secondary deflector and as for energy weapons you only look at 6 gun ports so in both cases the pets need to make up for it.

If it helps @felisean made example builds on the STO league Homepage. For your carrier you even find both examples for exotic and energy weapons heavy approaches.

https://www.sto-league.com/jemhadar-vanguard-ships/
    animated.gif

Think for a carrier you got 2 really awesome pet specific traits that come to mind.

The first one is sadly not cheap from exchange but would see to it that each time you launch a new set of pets the others are healed and hit harder:

The other one is a personal trait which will help your pets to rank up twice as fast:

I use them both on my Recluse supporter and would use them here as well as your pets goanna be a main source of dmg.
    The Vanguard carrier itself it is versatile enough to either go exotic or more conventional with energy weapons, whatever you like more. Only downside is that on both approaches you can’t go into the extreme. As for exotics there is no secondary deflector and as for energy weapons you only look at 6 gun ports so in both cases the pets need to make up for it.

If it helps @felisean made example builds on the STO league Homepage. For your carrier you even find both examples for exotic and energy weapons heavy approaches.

Amazing information thank you. Those traits are expensive. I'm considering buying 10k zen, using 6k to buy the 31st century pack to add it to my collection, then splitting the remaining 4k. 2 spent on keys to sell for a raw EC boost, and 2k spent on Dilithium.

And thanks to the other captains that also added advice.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Try this link as well for a complete list of things that buff pets... https://sto.gamepedia.com/Hangar_Pet#Modifiers
    @peterconnorfirst mentioned the top 2 traits. No idea if people still use carrier active duty doffs (all 6 of mine are already full) so in effectiveness it may be other things do the job better these days. Am at a loss for the "pet consoles" reference aside from the Vanguard Superiority Set, one of which launches the heavy attack craft, and others that would assist the pets indirectly.
    protoneous wrote: »
    Try this link as well for a complete list of things that buff pets... https://sto.gamepedia.com/Hangar_Pet#Modifiers
    @peterconnorfirst mentioned the top 2 traits. No idea if people still use carrier active duty doffs (all 6 of mine are already full) so in effectiveness it may be other things do the job better these days. Am at a loss for the "pet consoles" reference aside from the Vanguard Superiority Set, one of which launches the heavy attack craft, and others that would assist the pets indirectly.

Nice Protoneus! Didn’t know we had such a detailed list for pets on wiki. Thx. :)
    animated.gif

Amazing information thank you. Those traits are expensive. I'm considering buying 10k zen, using 6k to buy the 31st century pack to add it to my collection, then splitting the remaining 4k. 2 spent on keys to sell for a raw EC boost, and 2k spent on Dilithium.

I have no idea how feasible grind for you is but if it’s is about generating EC you could try to get Risa favors (especially during the hunt) and sell them on the exchange. :)
    animated.gif
    edited July 2018
    protoneous wrote: »
    That's useful but its not a complete list. For example I use Vent Metreon Laced Plasma trait which seems to work with anything that ejects plasma. Not had chance to test but I was wondering if Kemocite Overload worked as well. Another useful trait missing from that page is Superior Command Frequency which lets you summon a battleship and extra Frigate.

When I said pet consoles I was talking about the consoles that summon extra pets like drones and probes to go along side your fleet.

I have no idea how feasible grind for you is but if it’s is about generating EC you could try to get Risa favors (especially during the hunt) and sell them on the exchange. :)

I have not done any of the Risa stuff before, i'll have to look into it.

The Wiki link that Prot posted is amazing help, a great resource, thanks fellas.

I did end up picking the Elite Jam'Hadar gunboats from my fleet base. They are awesome!

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

I did end up picking the Elite Jam'Hadar gunboats from my fleet base. They are awesome!

Great choice.

In my opinion, they're the best pets in the game.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    Just an update on something I was considering. I have looked at a lot of Traits for pets. One sticks out above the others.

"Dominion Coordination"

This trait belongs to the T6 Jem'Hadar Dreadnaught Carrier. From what I have read, after firing a beam overload or some other abilities, pets get a 33% damage bonus. I have not been able to find anything saying that the buff was only for a certain amount of time. If this is true, i'm guessing, it lasts until they die. If i were to put this trait on a ship that has pets that are real tanky and rarely die, then i'm assuming it would be very strong. My Jem'Hadar Vanguard Carrier is such a ship. I dont know if the wingman or the deployable ship count as hangar pets. But With the Elite gunboats i got from my starbase, they are incredibly tanky and deal massive damage. If i can permanently boost their damage with this trait it would be incredible.

Can anyone confirm if this trait is a permanent buff on the Pets?
    edited July 2018
    Just an update on something I was considering. I have looked at a lot of Traits for pets. One sticks out above the others.

"Dominion Coordination"

This trait belongs to the T6 Jem'Hadar Dreadnaught Carrier. From what I have read, after firing a beam overload or some other abilities, pets get a 33% damage bonus. I have not been able to find anything saying that the buff was only for a certain amount of time. If this is true, i'm guessing, it lasts until they die. If i were to put this trait on a ship that has pets that are real tanky and rarely die, then i'm assuming it would be very strong. My Jem'Hadar Vanguard Carrier is such a ship. I dont know if the wingman or the deployable ship count as hangar pets. But With the Elite gunboats i got from my starbase, they are incredibly tanky and deal massive damage. If i can permanently boost their damage with this trait it would be incredible.

It only lasts for 15seconds but it synergises really well with Coordinated Assault trait. As every time you use beam overload all the pets use beam overload and gets a 33% damage boost. I use the attack ships and wait till they use there natural beam overload and trigger another batch of beam overloads. For overload spam.

The reason I like the attack ships is they have their own rapid fire and own beam overload then with traits you can trigger a 2nd rapid fire, 2nd beam overload and 58% damage boost all at the same time. The same combo should still work with the Gunships.
    EDIT more then 58% if you put them in escort mode with the damage doffs.
    pottsey5g wrote: »

"Dominion Coordination"

It only lasts for 15seconds but it synergises really well with Coordinated Assault trait. As every time you use beam overload all the pets use beam overload and gets a 33% damage boost. I use the attack ships and wait till they use there natural beam overload and trigger another batch of beam overloads. For overload spam.

The reason I like the attack ships is they have their own rapid fire and own beam overload then with traits you can trigger a 2nd rapid fire, 2nd beam overload and 58% damage boost all at the same time. The same combo should still work with the Gunships.
    EDIT more then 58% if you put them in escort mode with the damage doffs.

Very good info thank you. I have concentrated so much on Exotic damage on my ship that during an alert or mission i'm constantly catching myself thinking "damn, i fired off grav well and these guys just arent bunching up the way i want" i may want to back off the particle gen a bit more and go more with control, so my pets can take advantage.