test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone noticing that the enemy keeps mega critting?

Comments

• sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    I prefer also the Incontrovertible Defenses set bonus, + the nukara set is not very easy to use (dbb or mines + an average console if you don't use epg). The lobi console is also interesting for tet build + the console sticky web
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    lasonio wrote: »
    This is almost hilarious.

Just look at what you are saying. Very few of you actually want to realize that the proper problem is you yourself. Because it's all about you, but it's not you. Riiiiiiiight.

You literally are saying "Hey, there is a problem, i can't do this anymore. I understand that you can do it still, but I can't do it so Dev's make it so i can do it again. I don't care what other players feel, i only care what I feel and I want to do what makes me happy, and I want you to weigh my opinion more then everyone else."

Even though there are players that are saying. "Hmm, since i am not having this issue in the slightest, I'm actually enjoying pressing a button every once and a while, then maybe it's your build and gear, let's change your build and gear so you can deal with the changes of ViL"

Some of you to your credit are willing to try it and most have good results, yet there is still that cell of you that are saying. "No, I don't want, can't, or refuse to change myself, because i'm awesome, look what i did up until now. Obviously, someone as great as me can't be wrong. The rest of you must be pay to win or something or no lifers that are dps ****. I'm just a normal player that face rolls everything because i'm great. I want the game to change to make me happy to fit my narrative, because this is my safe space. MY world away from the world where i can be great. So don't change my safe space, my stress reliever because obviously you built your entire business model around how I feel great and how to keep threats and challenges to my happiness to a minimal. All praise be to me."

That's just insane. And that's what I've read so far from a few of you.

Everyone accepted it, evolved, changed and moved on.

Personally, I don't get shot down by npcs even on elite difficulty on my main or on my vanguard. So I don't believe there is anything wrong with the game. I just refuse to believe that even on a new toon that's just a few weeks old I can destroy everything I come in contact with and YOU cannot. I just really don't think I'm that special.

If I can do all the content on elite, i just don't understand how you can't do it on normal.

And the only answer is there is something wrong with your builds. And asking the dev's to hotfix or gut or nerf or whatever you want to call it is not the answer when you literally have to change a few small things with your build to survive the ViL era.

Like it or not the players telling you that it's you build is not wrong. You, the ones telling the devs to destroy what was enacted with the raising of the level cap and weapon levels and all that work, so you can have your mundane stress reliever back, are wrong.

Literally think about what you are saying. You want players to keep getting stronger and better but npcs to remain the same. So that eventually it will become press a button one shot everything, I win. Yeah that sounds exhilarating.

This conversation can be about anything you want it to be as long as it's not about devs going back and gutting the system.

"Safe space"? :D Excuse me, get off your high horse for a minute.

Okay, so you can faceroll the game on elite difficulty. Hear that, everyone? @lasonio can faceroll the game on elite difficulty.
    noonecares.jpg

Most of us here, myself included, play this game because it's fun goofing off in the Star Trek world with our friends, not so we can spend hours a day grinding and micromanaging ourselves into posting a gazillion damage per hit on nightmare difficulty. My builds are good enough to play the content competently on Advanced, and I have a real full-time job that I actually get paid for, plus plenty of extracurricular activities besides moderating this board; I don't need the game trying to be a job, too. You like having the game be a job? More power to ya. You're not the majority of people in this thread, and you're certainly not the majority of people who play the game.

And for the record, nobody in this thread, aside from a couple people who explicitly said they're running brand new, i.e. underequipped, toons, is saying that this glitch -- because that's what it behaves like, a glitch, not something intentional -- is making gameplay hard to impossible: in fact I've only personally encountered it twice since it first cropped up, and still completed the queue both times. It's just an annoyance to be doing your role on the team and having a good time, and then have your ship suddenly explode without any warning whatsoever.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »

Just look at what you are saying. Very few of you actually want to realize that the proper problem is you yourself. Because it's all about you, but it's not you. Riiiiiiiight.

You literally are saying "Hey, there is a problem, i can't do this anymore. I understand that you can do it still, but I can't do it so Dev's make it so i can do it again. I don't care what other players feel, i only care what I feel and I want to do what makes me happy, and I want you to weigh my opinion more then everyone else."

Even though there are players that are saying. "Hmm, since i am not having this issue in the slightest, I'm actually enjoying pressing a button every once and a while, then maybe it's your build and gear, let's change your build and gear so you can deal with the changes of ViL"

Some of you to your credit are willing to try it and most have good results, yet there is still that cell of you that are saying. "No, I don't want, can't, or refuse to change myself, because i'm awesome, look what i did up until now. Obviously, someone as great as me can't be wrong. The rest of you must be pay to win or something or no lifers that are dps ****. I'm just a normal player that face rolls everything because i'm great. I want the game to change to make me happy to fit my narrative, because this is my safe space. MY world away from the world where i can be great. So don't change my safe space, my stress reliever because obviously you built your entire business model around how I feel great and how to keep threats and challenges to my happiness to a minimal. All praise be to me."

That's just insane. And that's what I've read so far from a few of you.

Everyone accepted it, evolved, changed and moved on.

Personally, I don't get shot down by npcs even on elite difficulty on my main or on my vanguard. So I don't believe there is anything wrong with the game. I just refuse to believe that even on a new toon that's just a few weeks old I can destroy everything I come in contact with and YOU cannot. I just really don't think I'm that special.

If I can do all the content on elite, i just don't understand how you can't do it on normal.

And the only answer is there is something wrong with your builds. And asking the dev's to hotfix or gut or nerf or whatever you want to call it is not the answer when you literally have to change a few small things with your build to survive the ViL era.

Like it or not the players telling you that it's you build is not wrong. You, the ones telling the devs to destroy what was enacted with the raising of the level cap and weapon levels and all that work, so you can have your mundane stress reliever back, are wrong.

Literally think about what you are saying. You want players to keep getting stronger and better but npcs to remain the same. So that eventually it will become press a button one shot everything, I win. Yeah that sounds exhilarating.

This conversation can be about anything you want it to be as long as it's not about devs going back and gutting the system.

"Safe space"? :D Excuse me, get off your high horse for a minute.

Okay, so you can faceroll the game on elite difficulty. Hear that, everyone? @lasonio can faceroll the game on elite difficulty.
    noonecares.jpg

Most of us here, myself included, play this game because it's fun goofing off in the Star Trek world with our friends, not so we can spend hours a day grinding and micromanaging ourselves into posting a gazillion damage per hit on nightmare difficulty. My builds are good enough to play the content competently on Advanced, and I have a real full-time job that I actually get paid for, plus plenty of extracurricular activities besides moderating this board; I don't need the game trying to be a job, too. You like having the game be a job? More power to ya. You're not the majority of people in this thread, and you're certainly not the majority of people who play the game.

And for the record, nobody in this thread, aside from a couple people who explicitly said they're running brand new, i.e. underequipped, toons, is saying that this glitch -- because that's what it behaves like, a glitch, not something intentional -- is making gameplay hard to impossible: in fact I've only personally encountered it twice since it first cropped up, and still completed the queue both times. It's just an annoyance to be doing your role on the team and having a good time, and then have your ship suddenly explode without any warning whatsoever.

This. So much this.

I've already said that I don't play games to see how high I can up the difficulty. I prefer not to fight all the time, I just like to goof off and have fun. It's one reason I like open-world games and this MMO. It most certainly is not my 'safe space', but it is my world to goof around in however I like, and I don't like blowing up without knowing what was blowing me up. It's quite annoying to blow up and click the little button that tells you what killed you and have it tell you "No significant damage recorded" No significant damage? Then what blew me up? Someone spitting on my windshield?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User

"All praise be to me." Yeah, that's exactly what your post sounds like. You must really be severely irony-impaired. This really *is* almost hilarious. :)
    Like it or not the players telling you that it's you build is not wrong.

I've you're going to berate people, at least try and form half-way coherent sentences.
    Literally think about what you are saying. You want players to keep getting stronger and better but npcs to remain the same.

Another one of your silly strawmen. Or rather -- less glamorous -- you simply don't read what others are saying (fits your egomania, I'd say). For instance, only the other day I specifically said, "For two, if you had bothered to actually read what ppl have written, nobody is complaining about the general difficulty level increase (which inevitably came with ViL). That's all fine: after all, we scaled along with it." But why bother with the actual truth, when pulling a Trump is so much easier, right?!
    Personally, I don't get shot down by npcs even on elite difficulty on my main or on my vanguard.

When an NPC hits you for 380k, either you die... or you lie. Simple as that. And also, 'not dying' is rather meaningless, and often ere the result of you being the weaker link in the team, not drawing all the aggro. So, before you embarrass yourself even further, get off that high horse. And, unless you show me a HSE parse or something, demonstrating your vast superiority over everyone else, and not dying to boot, I'm just going with you being full of it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    I'm not seeing mega-crits myself. However, if it's actually true (and given that some reports I've heard/read come from very reliable people, I'm inclined to believe it is), then it is a problem and should be fixed.

I don't see anyone here talking anything about nerfing elite or making the game less challenging, it's about getting bugs fixed in NORMAL content, and some cases of storyline missions, as far as I see. You know, those things that new players will most likely be experiencing before anything else and then deciding whether to spend any money on game or not.
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    And, unless you show me a HSE parse or something, demonstrating your vast superiority over everyone else, and not dying to boot, I'm just going with you being full of it.
    This; I'm also very interested in seeing some HSE parses.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I'm not seeing mega-crits myself. However, if it's actually true (and given that some reports I've heard/read come from very reliable people, I'm inclined to believe it is), then it is a problem and should be fixed.

I don't see anyone here talking anything about nerfing elite or making the game less challenging, it's about getting bugs fixed in NORMAL content, and some cases of storyline missions, as far as I see. You know, those things that new players will most likely be experiencing before anything else and then deciding whether to spend any money on game or not.
    And, unless you show me a HSE parse or something, demonstrating your vast superiority over everyone else, and not dying to boot, I'm just going with you being full of it.
    This; I'm also very interested in seeing some HSE parses.

Oh yep please no nerfs to difficulty. Lol nobody wants that. The random one shots of single critting torps is an annoyance but not a reason to cry or stop to play all together. As for HSE I think it’s just my #4 cause of death after regular torpedo spreads that always hit hard, flocki being a millisecond to late with subnuke and a confused hellspawny rapid firing my Bajoran fem toon to Andromeda. *shakes fist* :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    [Mod Hat] Chain of posts on DPS and builds split to here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1242225/on-dps-and-builds [/Mod Hat]
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

echatty wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    Been awhile since I did Procyon 5 (I play normal all the time), But I don't remember ever getting obliterated. I remember losing some hull once in awhile, but had plenty of heals.

Sounds like the bug they're mentioning in here.

Haven't done the Battle of Proctologist V in a while either (way before VIL, at least). It's always been on the tough side, but doable. As for that green cone attack mentioned earlier ('Oh no, you did not shoot that green sh*t at me!'), you're supposed to make like a tree and leave when that thing is on you. So, that can be attributed to Pilot error.

Queues are definitely weird, though, these days. I can fly into a CCA, on my Jem, and get pummeled to death before I even arrive at the Entity, or come in blazing, and win the day, with not a scratch on me. Since it's all so random/vague, the cynic in me says Cryptic will merrily leave it all broken, and never even spend an hour investigating. Yeah. Remember how they were going to fix the 'warp-out' bug in the TZ? Still waiting for that.

Yeah, I remember that green goo. It reminded me of that cone attack of the Na'Kuhl. You definitely need to get out of that cone before it fires if it's targeting you.

Actually, that green cone attack IS from the Na'Kuhl. :) They come to assist the enemy in the second (or third, I forgot) wave. And yes, you get ample warning. Like the Boss Ship in Tholian RA firing its white cone attack: it's not a good place to be inside its arc. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    Hardest challenge i'm experiencing from any NPC is the Tzenkethi battleships and their torpedo attacks 60% plus kinetic res and brace for impact doesn't appear to do very much they have become dam nasty.
    I used to before VIL have no issues with a tact in Tzenkethi Front Advanced going solo to a station taking out the defenders and dropping a bomb. I have no chance of that now. In fact i'm struggling to take a battleship down and obtain a bomb without being wiped out by those torp spreads. Back then i would have about 25% kinetic res

Soon as server is online again, I'll try the queue too. The Tzenkethi BZ, at least, appeared normal when I just conquered 1 point for the test (well, 'normal' as in still broken, but not extra so).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    I prefer also the Incontrovertible Defenses set bonus, + the nukara set is not very easy to use (dbb or mines + an average console if you don't use epg). The lobi console is also interesting for tet build + the console sticky web

I no longer use the Nukara set for Tetryon alone (the console is still useful in EPG builds, though). Instead, I use the full Lobi set + Temporal Disentanglement Suite & same-mission Omni-Directional Antichronoton Infused Tetryon Beam, for the second set-bonus, + Sticky Web.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I can get the rep gear, but it requires years of playing ONLY that character, and is generally unreasonable to consider.

Ok, we tried to help, but now it's getting silly. Years for rep gear?

I'm sorry man, but it sounds like you have already decided to shoot down any solution offered to you and at this point it looks like you don't actually want any help, you just shoot everything down. Honestly, the best way for you get through these missions is going to be to team with another player and have them carry you through it.

Given the restrictions you have presented, that's your only option. Barring that, I am afraid your progression has stopped in STO and I for one cannot think of a scenario in which you will be able to change that. I could present a low cost budget build for your ship, but honestly.. I know you would just shoot it down so I am not going to. Best of luck to you going forward.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    The only gear I really have any reasonable access to is gear gained as mission rewards. I can get the rep gear, but it requires years of playing ONLY that character, and is generally unreasonable to consider.

A single rep takes 40 days, max (less, even, as it's only a 20 hour cd, so, 33.33 days, when timed perfectly). That's a far-cry from 'years of playing.'

So, yeah, I'm with Sea on this: if you don't consider *any* options, then the buck kinda stops there.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I don't have a lot of time to play, and I often can't log in every day to manage all the reps. My Klingon was made the first day I played the game, yet is only rank 3 in most of his reps (Rank 5 in Omega).

I never said I wouldn't consider options, it's that many options are simply not going to be available to me. There's plenty of gear gained from quests, and my question was which of those would provide the best overall defense, with offense being a secondary concern.

Best overall defense from episode gear. Probably the Solanae set from Solanae arc. Could possibly go with the Kobali Set as well. Both should offer a bit more on the survival side than the other episodes set. I've been using it on my newest character, and haven't had many problems. Th House of Martok Console from Brushfire, is a good addition to this. As is the Trillium-D plating and a Neutronium Alloy plating.

All of which will up your resistances and hull. So, you'll feel the pinch of the big hits less.

Edit: Forum Langolears, Begone!
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    edited July 2018
    Happened again today in Undine Red Alert.. this is the only place I have seen this issue.. but man.

I got hit with a mine from the Orb Weaver for 182k crit. After respawn, I cloak, fly back in and get hit with another mine for 201k.

Yeah, that seems a bit much to me. There was nothing skill related that I could have done to counter this, there is no warning or chance to avoid.. just boom.. 200k damage. Seems a bit much.

Every time I have seen this issue, it's been in the Undine Red Alert. Haven't seen it anywhere else. Even still, it's rare, this was the 2nd time I had had this issue and I run this alert multiple times per day.
    my question was which of those would provide the best overall defense, with offense being a secondary concern.

As long as you're building in this way, you will continue to struggle. A battle of attrition is not going to yield the results you desire. The game is simply not set up to allow such a strategy to ever be consistently successful.
    Happened again today in Undine Red Alert.. this is the only place I have seen this issue.. but man.

I got hit with a mine from the Orb Weaver for 182k crit. After respawn, I cloak, fly back in and get hit with another mine for 201k.

Yeah, that seems a bit much to me. There was nothing skill related that I could have done to counter this, there is no warning or chance to avoid.. just boom.. 200k damage. Seems a bit much.

Every time I have seen this issue, it's been in the Undine Red Alert. Haven't seen it anywhere else. Even still, it's rare, this was the 2nd time I had had this issue and I run this alert multiple times per day.
    my question was which of those would provide the best overall defense, with offense being a secondary concern.

As long as you're building in this way, you will continue to struggle. A battle of attrition is not going to yield the results you desire. The game is simply not set up to allow such a strategy to ever be consistently successful.

Undine Red Alert? I was only aware of the Tzenkethi, Borg and Tholian Red Alerts, where is this Undine Red Alert?

I think he meant the Tholian RA, as he got hit with a mine from an Orb Weaver.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    I meant Tholian, my bad. I had been playing in the Undine BZ before posting and got my wires crossed. :smile:
    I meant Tholian, my bad. I had been playing in the Undine BZ before posting and got my wires crossed. :smile:

I do this all the time lol
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • harlequinpixieharlequinpixie Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    Had a few mega crits that come out of nowhere, full shields and health vanishes and instant death follows. No idea how it happens, but it does on occasion. I can't place my finger on the cause, but assumed it was the bad shields on my ship. Yet, some of my fully equipped characters suffer from it on occasion.

It doesn't really ruin the game, it just makes it more annoying on the occasions it does happen. Seeing as I rarely re-spawn as it is.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    ISA today borg sphere 250k plasma torpedo hit dead rejoined borg sphere 250k plasma torpedo hit dead rejoined it happened 4 times in that isa and they were all invesible lol, cryptic i want some of those torpedos, please :)
    ISA today borg sphere 250k plasma torpedo hit dead rejoined borg sphere 250k plasma torpedo hit dead rejoined it happened 4 times in that isa and they were all invesible lol, cryptic i want some of those torpedos, please :)

Like I said twice already. The problem isn't that they're mega-critting. It's the old rendering bug from the Borg Elites, part of the reason they were removed. We were dealing with this bug back in 2012. So what ever band-aid they slapped on it, finally fell and the problem is back.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Just to update you, I've been using the Preeminent set from the Tzenkethi arc, and it's doing the trick pretty well. I've looked at some of the other sets, and the Nukara and Sol Defense sets also look pretty tanky.

Still tinkering, though.

If you like we could work on your builds in the respective section of the forums. Of course limited recourses (limited gaming time) is an issue but what’s the main enemy to defeat is often one’s own ideal how a build/ship is supposed to play like and the discrepancy of that compared to the reality of game mechanics. That’s at least my biggest issue. :#

Is there any sort of ship you really favor? A weapon type? An energy type? If u favor KDF and perhaps disruptors there is a lot that can be done, escpecially on miracle worker cruiser.

If you have just tell and me and the others who already gave you advise could coach you 1:1 on what can be done.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    Just to update you, I've been using the Preeminent set from the Tzenkethi arc, and it's doing the trick pretty well. I've looked at some of the other sets, and the Nukara and Sol Defense sets also look pretty tanky.

Still tinkering, though.

If you like we could work on your builds in the respective section of the forums. Of course limited recourses (limited gaming time) is an issue but what’s the main enemy to defeat is often one’s own ideal how a build/ship is supposed to play like and the discrepancy of that compared to the reality of game mechanics. That’s at least my biggest issue. :#

Is there any sort of ship you really favor? A weapon type? An energy type? If u favor KDF and perhaps disruptors there is a lot that can be done, escpecially on miracle worker cruiser.

If you have just tell and me and the others who already gave you advise could coach you 1:1 on what can be done.

Yeah, that's a good idea @colonelmarik, you should start a thread in the Shipyard section and let us know all that stuff. I am sure we can find you a build using mission rewards and inexpensive stuff that should help you out.

On the topic of the 'Mega Crits' Wow.. I had a great one today.

Once again.. it was Tholian Alert, this for me has been the only place I have seen this problem.. but it seems to be getting more frequent. I had just completed a match, the match was over.. I collected my marks and flew around looking for stragglers. The map was empty so I hit warp out. The animation starts of my ship warping out and BAM.. something one hit kills me during the warp out. On an empty map.. :smiley:

That was a new one for sure. I couldn't tell the source because show damage history just showed 'no significant damage taken.' lol

I was at 100% health and shields in a T6 Endeavor with all epic everything. That was a heck of a hit.
    Mega-crits. I've explained it already. Now, to help you all out, I've taken it one step further, and made a bug report about it.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1242326/the-old-rendering-problem/p1?new=1
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    edited July 2018
    trennan wrote: »
    Mega-crits. I've explained it already. Now, to help you all out, I've taken it one step further, and made a bug report about it.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1242326/the-old-rendering-problem/p1?new=1

Explain the guy directly above you who got killed on an empty map. :D The invisitorp issue doesn't explain all the behaviors that have been reported in this thread, particularly the fact that the (apparent) Flyswatter of God doesn't show up in the "significant damage" dialog.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

This discussion has been closed.