What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Picard Star Trek series

13»

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    mneme0 wrote: »
    Regarding Star Trek's current bassackwardness, I don't think it's specifically a Star Trek problem but rather a problem with media in general. Sometime in the last decade or two many, many shows and movie prequels have been made, probably because the execs believe that they are more certain cash cows than unexplored territory that they're scared won't be as possible...

Given we don't know a whole lot about what happened post-Enterprise pre-TOS other than a few snippits of "history" referenced on various shows, wouldn't everything else we see in a prequel be "unexplored territory"?
    The problem with prequels is that all the toys have to be put back into the box at the end; you can't have a series set, say, fifty years pre-TOS (halfway between TOS and ENT), and have anything terribly significant happen that doesn't factor into that previously-mentioned history. No Vulcan rebellions, no contact with Romulans, no friendly contact with Klingons, no mention of half a dozen species (no matter how popular with fans) that hadn't had their First Contact yet...

I still want to see a series set another hundred years in Trek's future, aboard an experimental extremely-long-range ship using a combination of warp and quantum slipstream drives that sets out to explore one of the Milky Way's satellite galaxies. Lots of First Contact scenarios, far enough out of contact with Command that they don't have someone constantly looking over their shoulder, new things they've never seen before - sounds like fun!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Do we know when contact with the Caitians took place? Do we know the EXACT timeframe for contact with Cardassia? There are a number of races that are in Trek that we don't know the official date for First Contact.

We know for a FACT that before their first ever appearance on TNG, there was a series of border wars between the Federation and the Cardassian Union. But we don't know when First Contact was established. This is further muddied up by the fact that in the Kelvin Timeline, one of the drinks Uhura ordered references the Cardassians.

We know for a FACT that Caitians have been members of the Federation as far back as the 23rd Century. There are several feline individuals seen in the TOS movies, and we can't ignore the existance of Lt. M'Ress from TAS, which is set before the movies.

So... while it is true prequel like shows have limitations, there are details that can be explored.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah, this is where writer's guides come in. You make a list of things that are known facts and talk about other stuff.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    CBS has the fameous H Hall, that seats over 6,000 people, the biggest room at comic con, for a Star Trek Panel. This tells me not only will will they be talking about Discovery, they will be officially announcing one or more Star Trek shows at there.

I really excited and curious.
    valoreah wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    The problem with prequels is that all the toys have to be put back into the box at the end; you can't have a series set, say, fifty years pre-TOS (halfway between TOS and ENT), and have anything terribly significant happen that doesn't factor into that previously-mentioned history. No Vulcan rebellions, no contact with Romulans, no friendly contact with Klingons, no mention of half a dozen species (no matter how popular with fans) that hadn't had their First Contact yet...

Not sure I entirely agree here. We never knew Kirk died aboard the Enterprise B throughout the run of TNG. I would categorize that as a rather significant event written into a "prequel" of sorts.
    We knew, however, that Kirk was dead. (And in fact it turned out he wasn't, but nobody outside the Nexus had any way of knowing that.) How he died was a detail; that he lived long enough to command Enterprise twice was canon. Now you can't do an episode of, say, DSC, and have the young lieutenant helmsman of the Farragut die, because that's Jim Kirk right there.

Similarly, while ENT could establish a longstanding low-level conflict between the Andorians and Vulcans, it could never evolve into an all-out war, because that would prevent the founding of the Federation, which was apparently scheduled for about ten years after NX-01 left Earth. And they couldn't let anyone from either Earth or any allied world realize they'd seen a Romulan, because it's canon that the first time anyone from the Federation confirmed the appearance of a Romulan was in TOS: "Balance of Terror".

Other prequel series have the same problem. Sure, you can explore this or that minor historical detail, but in the process you can't have anything too dramatic happen, because that would affect so much that would happen later in the Trekverse. That's why the movies opted to go the alt-u track, because there was no canon movie they could make about young Kirk, Spock, McCoy, et al (we know, for instance, that in the second pilot, TOS: "Where No Man Has Gone Before", the ship's physician was Dr. Piper; Dr. McCoy would sign on later, presumably when the much older Piper retired after the stressful events of that pilot).

On the other hand, going into the future lets you do anything. Want an episode where Earth is destroyed, and the Federation has to relocate its capital (and adjust to the loss of all its senior politicians)? Sure, why not? Want to have something similar to the Masterverse series, with a long-lost Earth colony popping back up and leading to massive political strife? We can do that. Want to leave the area entirely, and give the Delta Quadrant (or the Gamma, for that matter) a proper exploration? No reason why not...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    Personally I think it would have much more sense, and allowed for better motivations, if the Abramsverse had been set in the future rather than the past.

I'd have also said that the hero crew were simply descendants of the TOS crew, aboard a brand-new Enterprise.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @valoreah said:
    > https://trekmovie.com/2018/07/04/marina-sirtis-thinks-patrick-stewarts-return-to-star-trek-on-tv-is-just-a-rumor/

I think she thinks that because they aren't doing TNG 2.0 so she hasn't been contacted, I think the Picard series and the Starfleet Academy series are the same series.
    Again, the facts we know:

Kurtzman's company has been signed to produce five series for CBS. It seems likely, but is unknown as yet, that these will be for All Access.

Kurtzman is primarily known among us for his Star Trek work. (He's done some other stuff too; most folks would probably know him more for the CBS series Scorpion or the Fox series Sleepy Hollow, and apparently he's producing a bunch of films for Universal's proposed "Dark Universe" monster movie shared universe.)

Patrick Stewart said that he might have a reason to "look at television" soon. (Note: that's British for "watch TV".)

All else is speculation and rumor at this point.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I think it's at least safe to assume there have been talks between CBS and Stewart, I've been amazed this whole time though with how many news outlets took this story and ran articles as if it was officially a done deal.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Oddly, the Tom Cruise Mummy movie would appear to have been produced by Kurtzman. Maybe they just signed him up for the whole slate of them, before putting them all on standby.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    I think it's at least safe to assume there have been talks between CBS and Stewart, I've been amazed this whole time though with how many news outlets took this story and ran articles as if it was officially a done deal.
    Going by news sources with Trek rumors, we should have gotten a Quentin Tarantino Trek movie early this year. I never trust movie rumors in mass media.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • patrickblackmontpatrickblackmont Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I really can't wait to to see Picard back in a uniform again.
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User

Here you go!
    390f9f3587fc05aea44549a83d1c4709--the-force-starwars.jpg
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

Here you go!
    390f9f3587fc05aea44549a83d1c4709--the-force-starwars.jpg

That uniform looks great on him
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png