test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Risa Engineer Kit Modules Question

rykus83rykus83 Member Posts: 124 Arc User
As he title says I was wondering if anyone knows how good/effective the risa engineer Kits are the Cyclonic Generator, Hurricane Turret, Molten Terrain, and the universal kit, Sandstorm Generator was just wondering if I should spend the time grinding for one or all of them.

Comments

• miirikmiirik Member Posts: 483 Arc User
    from what i see, the molten terrain is a joke, i watched some vids showcasing it and it looks incredibly lack luster

the sandstorm generator looks nice, though
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Hurricane turret is immobile and a PBAoE. I can be used in some scenarios, but not many. Basically, you need to place it somewhere the enemy HAS to be... and even then they can break it.

Molten Terrain is basically a weaker version of the Orbital bombardment ability all Engineers have already. the upside is a shorter cooldown so you can use it more often.

The sandstorm is a nice debuff, but needs to be targeted carefully to be effective.

Haven't tried the Cyclonic yet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • zaileizailei Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I haven't tried out the turrets, however, molten terrain is really bad in my opinion. The combination of a really long activation time and poor damage make it not worth using.
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    Molten Terrain is definitely garbage (god forbid that an engineer should have too many goodies). Sandstorm is nice, but somewhat buggy and has kind of a high CD.

I'd like to see a clip or something how cyclone looks/feels like before I spend 1k favors on it.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    tremere12 wrote: »
    Molten Terrain is definitely garbage (god forbid that an engineer should have too many goodies). Sandstorm is nice, but somewhat buggy and has kind of a high CD.

I'd like to see a clip or something how cyclone looks/feels like before I spend 1k favors on it.

Molten terrain is decent when you use a crowd control ability to prevent mobs from walking out of the flames.
    So it needs to be combined with fuse armor or freeze armor or the vaadwaur drone.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    B.t.w there may be some other kit modules which have good synergy with molten terrain.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    well, it's unique in that it's Eng module that's direct damage. damaging Eng powers are usually turrets...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited July 2018
    questerius wrote: »

Molten terrain is decent when you use a crowd control ability to prevent mobs from walking out of the flames.
    So it needs to be combined with fuse armor or freeze armor or the vaadwaur drone.

Maybe in normal queues/episodes, but there are far better alternatives in elite runs (which is the only thing I do). I'm not even going to mention PvP. The module needs to do at least 3x more damage to be actually decent, but even then it's nothing compared to, let's say, Cold Fusion spamming.
    edited July 2018
    well, it's unique in that it's Eng module that's direct damage. damaging Eng powers are usually turrets...

Molten terrains activation time is 3 seconds, which is longer than engineer turrets. Cold fusion flash by comparison is instant cast and does about 10 times more damage.

Maybe in normal queues/episodes, but there are far better alternatives in elite runs (which is the only thing I do). I'm not even going to mention PvP. The module needs to do at least 3x more damage to be actually decent, but even then it's nothing compared to, let's say, Cold Fusion spamming.

In PVP engineers are toast regardless. In queued content engineers can do a lot of damage, but in PVP against things like graviton spike or cold fusion/exothermic...

In PVP engineers are toast regardless. In queued content engineers can do a lot of damage, but in PVP against things like graviton spike or cold fusion/exothermic...

There are a couple of good PvP engineers out there, but it's definitely "hard mode" compared to the easy instant damage that Tacs and Sci's deal.

I think in general most people don't know how to play ground engineers very well. They come up with the most ineffectual combinations that look alot like "support", even though 99% of the content is sadly geared heavily towards dps. Having said that, most engineer modules are close to worthless in comparison to the other two classes.

But mortars, mines, explosive drones, sandstorm, and the diagnostics doffs are the only good things I can think of, and when these are used properly they can do serious damage in certain maps. However, again the engineer overal has too many "support" oriented modules, and not enough dps oriented modules.

Turrets also need a serious boost, as their damage is laughable in elite content. Most group fights are already over with high damage combos like ambush (tac) and cold fusion (sci) spamming before those turrets even get a chance to shoot.

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Anything that takes more than a second to cast is something I probably won't use more than once to see what it's like.

Molten terrain feels like a poor mans orbital bombardment.

Sandstorm can sometimes go shooting off in the wrong direction but not bad against stationary targets that take a while to die.

Hurricane turret does a great job at preventing you from seeing anything and as it's a static turret doesn't have much practical value.

From what I've seen the cyclones don't seem to travel far from the turret so might not be that useful since most stuff tends to die far too fast for a turret to be worthwhile.

The turret my engies tend to use are mortars which are really handy for killing the increasing number of mobs that glitch into walls and they also ignore LoS things like walls, doors cliffs etc. If you aggro and it's in range they fire.

There are a couple of good PvP engineers out there, but it's definitely "hard mode" compared to the easy instant damage that Tacs and Sci's deal.

I think in general most people don't know how to play ground engineers very well. They come up with the most ineffectual combinations that look alot like "support", even though 99% of the content is sadly geared heavily towards dps. Having said that, most engineer modules are close to worthless in comparison to the other two classes.

But mortars, mines, explosive drones, sandstorm, and the diagnostics doffs are the only good things I can think of, and when these are used properly they can do serious damage in certain maps. However, again the engineer overal has too many "support" oriented modules, and not enough dps oriented modules.

Turrets also need a serious boost, as their damage is laughable in elite content. Most group fights are already over with high damage combos like ambush (tac) and cold fusion (sci) spamming before those turrets even get a chance to shoot.

The only fast damage dealer for engineers, other than universal modules, are mines. But as far as i know the bunny hop (players continuously jumping around) still stops mines from activating.

The flare mortar is very useful though, but science and tac players worth their salt know how to counter the stealth easily.
  • rykus83rykus83 Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    Ok thnks for the info I went with Tactical Kit Module - Graviton Spike i might get some of the training mods for my ground crew not sure yet

From what I've seen the cyclones don't seem to travel far from the turret so might not be that useful since most stuff tends to die far too fast for a turret to be worthwhile.

The cyclone generator could be decent, except the generator itself only has 42 health. Most of time using it in pve it is dead before the activation time is even finished.

• redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    rykus83 wrote: »
    Ok thnks for the info I went with Tactical Kit Module - Graviton Spike i might get some of the training mods for my ground crew not sure yet
    Seismic Agitation is another good BOff module when you combine it with Cold Fusion Flash and Paradox Bomb. I like Medical Tricorder I, Seismic Agitation II, Cold Fusion Flash III, Paradox Bomb III. It works surprisingly well against the Hurq.
  • neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    It would be lovely if they could change turrets to
    *toss thingamadoodle on ground
    *thingamadoodle turns into turret/mortar

and you don't have to STOP to use them...

Imagine if it took as long for a Tac to throw a grenade as it does to summon a turret.
    redvenge wrote: »
    rykus83 wrote: »
    Seismic Agitation is another good BOff module when you combine it with Cold Fusion Flash and Paradox Bomb. I like Medical Tricorder I, Seismic Agitation II, Cold Fusion Flash III, Paradox Bomb III. It works surprisingly well against the Hurq.
    I sometimes use it myself. pair seismic agitation with the cold burst winter kit.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    For dps delegated devestation in advanced/elite queues will trump just about anything they'll ever give an engineer, just stand back and let the tacs/sci demolish everything for you. Sabotage is also good - the game is easier when mobs don't shoot back.
    postinggum wrote: »
    For dps delegated devestation in advanced/elite queues will trump just about anything they'll ever give an engineer, just stand back and let the tacs/sci demolish everything for you. Sabotage is also good - the game is easier when mobs don't shoot back.
    Sabotage is amazing. All my Engi BOffs have Sabotage I. However, Sabotage is not a Summer Event Module.

• burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    postinggum wrote: »

Delegated devastation on a melee eng is pretty amazing as melee weapons remain usable - one of my engies run delegated, sabotage, tsunkatse gloves (with fatal fist skill and 2pc nuka for shield debuffery) , debilitating shockwave, flare mortar and grav juncture - blinds, weapon disarms, debuffs and acts as a potential aggro diversion as your allies will be doing increased damage while your eng is punching away merrily
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    At this point, I don't know if it's possible for engineers to ever catch up to the others. OP, I'd get the new modules if you don't care about being terribly effective (Except the new Tac one, but that's just a rip off of Coordinate Bombing Strike), and just like the pretty colors.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    And the prices are a rip off in relation to Winter.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    And the prices are a rip off in relation to Winter.

only cause you need to grind the favors for summer... winter you can just do DOFFing and get the required drops. Summer does need to get a price reduction or a discount for alts once an item has been bought once on account.

seems like for Eng you really need to just use lock box mods.

only tac & sci has had good direct dmg event mods.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    You really need Gravitational Juncture, paradox bomb, or crystalline spike to make the ENG module work.

Doesn't it seem like this year's TAC module with the drone should have been the ENG module? It just seems wrong to me that TAC got any kind of drone - drones, turrets, mines, really anything "fabricated" - these should be the realm for ENG only.

It's a small thing, but ENG never seem to get much love. There are universal turrets that TAC and SCI can use for set-and-forget crowd control, but ENG has nothing to compare to Cold Fusion or most of TAC, except maybe Sompek Lightning for a quick kill (and even that isn't as high dmg as Cold Fusion, even with the entire Lukari ground set for electric dmg).
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    fixed position ae dmg/debuff "turret"/generators are probably only good for Battlezone Defense encounters... where you need to defend a fixed location with wave of mobs coming to ya... outside of that. I dont see much point or use.

too bad Biotech turret is so overpriced...

Seems for my Eng I need to use Rep Mod or Spec Mods.
  • kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    I've been Using Molten Terrain as a BOFF power on an engineer, and having somewhat good luck with it (I figure My Engineering Main does not need another Orbital Strike). @redvenge "Cold Fusion Flash" ...hmmm I'm wondering if both at once...will have to see... Basically say some modules are better as Boff powers. Since they replace some lacking basic powers. And leave your character with the good stuff.

My experience with Hurricane Turret, it does what it needs, and the slowing/blinding/damaging effect is helpful on enemies that like to get close and hug you.
    kaggert27 wrote: »
    @redvenge "Cold Fusion Flash" ...hmmm I'm wondering if both at once...will have to see... Basically say some modules are better as Boff powers. Since they replace some lacking basic powers. And leave your character with the good stuff.
    Cold Fusion Flash and Seismic Agitation have relatively low cooldowns. This makes them good choices for "space wizards", both captains and BOffs. However, for BOffs, I pair these abilities with Paradox Bomb because my BOffs are morons. They will spam all their abilities at the first opponent, rather than using their AoE powers to good effect. Paradox Bomb drags enemies into the hazards created by Cold Fusion Flash and Seismic Agitation.

I suppose you could combine Molten Terrain, Chronometric Diffusion and Paradox Bomb to make an AoE-centric BOff Engi. The downside is Chronometric Diffusion and Paradox Bomb have long cooldowns, so it won't be as impressive as a BOff Sci with Cold Fusion Flash and Seismic Agitation.