test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Treaty of Algeron theory

jbeach92jbeach92 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
So i have just watched the episode of tng where the enterprise gets the cloak from the ship in the asteroid and it got me thinking so this game is considered cannon so techinically wouldnt the treaty be null and void since the star empire is no longer in charge of the romulans thus allowing the federation cloaks on ships

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    This game is not canon.

And according to the Devs the Treaty is upheld by the Romulan Republic despite The Gal-X, Defiant, Valiant, Avenger, Arbiter, Eclipse, Phantom, Scryer, Archeon, Vizer, and Dreadnought all having cloaks.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jbeach92jbeach92 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Really according to cbs and the memory alpha wiki sto is cannon
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    jbeach92 wrote: »
    So i have just watched the episode of tng where the enterprise gets the cloak from the ship in the asteroid and it got me thinking so this game is considered cannon so techinically wouldnt the treaty be null and void since the star empire is no longer in charge of the romulans thus allowing the federation cloaks on ships

This is addressed in the Path to 2409. There actually still is a rump Romulan Star Empire (yes, even after completing the Romulan storyline in the game) and President Okeg's opinion is that the treaty is still in force even though the original Romulus-based government it was inked with no longer exists, and he issued an executive order to that effect.

And no, this game is not considered canon: that's the TV shows and movies only.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • jbeach92jbeach92 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Weird you would think the games cannon since it has the licences ect
    jbeach92 wrote: »
    Really according to cbs and the memory alpha wiki sto is cannon

This is incorrect. CBS' policy is that only the films and TV series are canon.

MA makes c.rap up as they go along. They've arbitrarily decided TAS isn't canon and editors stick their own (and official) fanfiction into articles presenting it as though it was taken from canonical material.

But even MA doesn't claim STO is canon.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    >
    > But even MA doesn't claim STO is canon.​​

Nobody said that. OP says it's considered "cannon". That means something like "the bomb". They like it very much. Keep up with young lingo, you old goat.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:
    >
    > But even MA doesn't claim STO is canon.

Nobody said that. OP says it's considered "cannon". That means something like "the bomb". They like it very much. Keep up with young lingo, you old goat.

What's wrong with describing things you like as 'totally radical dude'? I knew where I was in the 90s.

Kids today...​​

#TASforSTO

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    STO is canon in that it is a parallel universe to the Prime Universe. Although the same could be applied to any fictional work or even our own universe since Star Trek's canon follows the Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics. So STO is canon to Star Trek as a whole not to the Prime Universe which is the only canon that matters. From the Parallels episode of TNG:
    For any event, there is an infinite number of possible outcomes. Our choices determine which outcomes will follow. But there is a theory in quantum physics that all possibilities that can happen, do happen in alternate quantum realities.

starkaos wrote: »
    STO is canon in that it is a parallel universe to the Prime Universe. Although the same could be applied to any fictional work or even our own universe since Star Trek's canon follows the Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics. So STO is canon to Star Trek as a whole not to the Prime Universe which is the only canon that matters. From the Parallels episode of TNG:
    For any event, there is an infinite number of possible outcomes. Our choices determine which outcomes will follow. But there is a theory in quantum physics that all possibilities that can happen, do happen in alternate quantum realities.

This is of course, a lie.
    it’s really pretty simple: Canon is Star Trek continuity as presented on TV and Movie screens. Licensed products like books and comics aren’t part of that continuity, so they aren’t canon. And that’s that. Part of my job in licensing is to keep track of TV and Movie continuity, so I can help direct licensees in their creation of licensed products. It gets a little tricky because it’s constantly evolving, and over the years, Star Trek’s various producers and scriptwriters haven’t always kept track of/remembered/cared about what’s come before.

STO is a game not a film or TV series. You seem to constantly have your head inserted somewhere very dark when it comes to Quantum Mechanics for some reason, but needless to say, you're not Paula Block or indeed anyone of note and certainly have no connection to CBS and are simply regurgitating the single piece of physics you can remember from school.​​

#TASforSTO

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > What's wrong with describing things you like as 'totally radical dude'? I knew where I was in the 90s.
    >
    > Kids today...​​

I think you are only allowed to say that when you went surfing. I am getting a picture here...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    artan42 wrote: »

How is it a lie? It is canon that Star Trek believes that there is an infinite number of parallel universes and STO is one of those infinite number of parallel universes.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User

How is it a lie? It is canon that Star Trek believes that there is an infinite number of parallel universes and STO is one of those infinite number of parallel universes.
    In the STO background, the game is in the same timeline as the canon. It isn't "canon" because that has been officially defined as television and movies, and this is neither. However, it is not a parallel universe, as defined in either TOS: "Mirror, Mirror" and its sequelae or as defined in TNG: "Parallels" - it's what one might think of as a potential future. Until someone at CBS or Paramount decides to voyage beyond VOY, no defined "future" exists, as even the glimpses of "future" we've been shown are clearly subject to alteration by changes in past events (see for instance Daniels and Archer being stranded in a 31st century different from the one Daniels called home after a Suliban attack on NX-01 in the 22nd century (ENT: "Shockwave"), or the eradication of the Federation due to McCoy's actions after jumping through the Guardian of Forever (TOS: "The City On the Edge of Forever")).

Claiming then that STO is definitively in a separate timeline from the canon is a misstatement at best; Artan appears to believe that said misstatement is deliberate and with knowledge of the correct situation, which would indeed be a lie.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    MA makes c.rap up as they go along. They've arbitrarily decided TAS isn't canon and editors stick their own (and official) fanfiction into articles presenting it as though it was taken from canonical material. ​​
    Prove it or shut up. You flame MA any time it gets mentioned, and it's a load of BS. Yes I take it as a personal insult as I've spent many hours helping to make MA what it is.

And the red part? That is slander, since anyone who's actually read Ma's articles on TAS can easily see for themselves that it's NOT true.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    jonsills wrote: »

In the STO background, the game is in the same timeline as the canon. It isn't "canon" because that has been officially defined as television and movies, and this is neither. However, it is not a parallel universe, as defined in either TOS: "Mirror, Mirror" and its sequelae or as defined in TNG: "Parallels" - it's what one might think of as a potential future. Until someone at CBS or Paramount decides to voyage beyond VOY, no defined "future" exists, as even the glimpses of "future" we've been shown are clearly subject to alteration by changes in past events (see for instance Daniels and Archer being stranded in a 31st century different from the one Daniels called home after a Suliban attack on NX-01 in the 22nd century (ENT: "Shockwave"), or the eradication of the Federation due to McCoy's actions after jumping through the Guardian of Forever (TOS: "The City On the Edge of Forever")).

Claiming then that STO is definitively in a separate timeline from the canon is a misstatement at best; Artan appears to believe that said misstatement is deliberate and with knowledge of the correct situation, which would indeed be a lie.

Whatever future may exist for the Prime Universe, it is certainly not Star Trek Online or the Novels. Parallels had about 285,000 Enterprises so it makes sense for STO's Enterprise to be one of the other Enterprises. After all, each of those parallel universes have to be extremely similar to have an Enterprise that somehow gets involved in the same situation.

Considering the amount of temporal changes in Enterprise, the Prime Universe as we know it might not exist anymore. Did TOS have alien N A Z Is or Chronowerx Industries in the 20th Century? All we know about is the alien N A Z Is from the 23rd Century.

Because you are making a statement that is contrary to the truth. Only TV shows and films are canon thus stating that anything else is canon is a false statement.
    MA makes c.rap up as they go along. They've arbitrarily decided TAS isn't canon and editors stick their own (and official) fanfiction into articles presenting it as though it was taken from canonical material.
    Prove it or shut up. You flame MA any time it gets mentioned, and it's a load of BS. Yes I take it as a personal insult as I've spent many hours helping to make MA what it is.

And the red part? That is slander, since anyone who's actually read Ma's articles on TAS can easily see for themselves that it's NOT true.

Incorrect, it's libel not slander. And it appears they've since changed their policy. I'm sure that one addition has completely fixed their uncountable numbers of uncited statements, inserted non-canon material, and so on.
    Whatever future may exist for the Prime Universe, it is certainly not Star Trek Online or the Novels. Parallels had about 285,000 Enterprises so it makes sense for STO's Enterprise to be one of the other Enterprises. After all, each of those parallel universes have to be extremely similar to have an Enterprise that somehow gets involved in the same situation.

Considering the amount of temporal changes in Enterprise, the Prime Universe as we know it might not exist anymore. Did TOS have alien N A Z Is or Chronowerx Industries in the 20th Century? All we know about is the alien N A Z Is from the 23rd Century.

It does exist. Prime Universe is the name of a concept used out of universe in the same way events between two Stardates are given a series name. It's not an in universe term and if CBS say all episodes and films happen in the Prime Timeline until the destruction of the Kelvin (or the Enterprise C, or death of Sisko, or Harry or whatever) then that's where they take place.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:
    > What's wrong with describing things you like as 'totally radical dude'? I knew where I was in the 90s.
    >
    > Kids today...

I think you are only allowed to say that when you went surfing. I am getting a picture here...

Yes, that picture...

The icy winds of the North Sea turning a figure blue as they struggle to chip the ice off their board and advance, however slowly, into the frigid waters. Slowly, as their body shuts down, and their eyes grow dark, and with a overwhelming sense that the end is inevitable, the figure raises their Hawaiian shirted arm to the sky , and with one last 'totally radical dude', they sink out of sight and beyond all memory.

I guess that's where you were going?​​

#TASforSTO

Because you are making a statement that is contrary to the truth. Only TV shows and films are canon thus stating that anything else is canon is a false statement.
    #CitationNeeded

And, no, citing a webpage whose OWNER erased it does not count.

Incorrect, it's libel not slander. And it appears they've since changed their policy. I'm sure that one addition has completely fixed their uncountable numbers of uncited statements, inserted non-canon material, and so on.
    In other words you've not even paid enough attention to know. The TAS thing you mentioned earlier isn't a recent change. You probably can't provide a single example of those "uncountable numbers" you just alluded to the existence of.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    jonsills wrote: »

Whatever future may exist for the Prime Universe, it is certainly not Star Trek Online or the Novels.
    What an interesting statement. What, pray tell, is your evidence for this? (Chronowerx might well explain why Khan and his people had spacecraft technology in the late 1990s that was advanced so far beyond our own - we can't even build deep-space freighters yet, much less ships equipped with cryogenic suspension gear. As for the Na'khul, their interference in Terran history was part of the same temporal sidestep that erased Daniels' timeline as well, and it was set back to what it had been.)

Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    #CitationNeeded

Ah markhawkman. How many times have we danced this dance? You ask for evidence, reject the evidence arbitrarily, make a counterclaim, refuse to provide evidence for the counterclaim, bugger off, rinse and repeat.

Bottom line is the same as it always was, as with any other law, policy, rule, guideline, or stipulation in any other field either provide evidence the procedure is to no longer be followed or has been supplemented or accept it.
    You probably can't provide a single example of those "uncountable numbers" you just alluded to the existence of.

Interesting. Can you tell me why you're under the impression somebody would take random unbridge with a website? It contains neither politics nor religion or indead any other topic that is obviously polarising.

So, let's pretend that we haven't already had this exact same conversation about five times and tell me, for what reason would I needlessly be committing libel against a niche section of the internet?

At least tell me if I stand to make money from defamation. I could always stand to make a quick quid.​​

#TASforSTO

Okay, one quick question - where, exactly, does Memory Alpha refer to STO as "canon"? I just went through their article on STO, and while it's quite thorough and fairly up-to-date, the word "canon" doesn't seem to appear in there anywhere...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    #CitationNeeded

Ah markhawkman. How many times have we danced this dance? You ask for evidence, reject the evidence arbitrarily, make a counterclaim, refuse to provide evidence for the counterclaim, bugger off, rinse and repeat.

Bottom line is the same as it always was, as with any other law, policy, rule, guideline, or stipulation in any other field either provide evidence the procedure is to no longer be followed or has been supplemented or accept it.
    CBS intentionally DELETED the web page you keep referencing. How is that not evidence that the information on the page is null and void?
    You probably can't provide a single example of those "uncountable numbers" you just alluded to the existence of.
    Interesting. Can you tell me why you're under the impression somebody would take random unbridge with a website? It contains neither politics nor religion or indead any other topic that is obviously polarising.

So, let's pretend that we haven't already had this exact same conversation about five times and tell me, for what reason would I needlessly be committing libel against a niche section of the internet?

At least tell me if I stand to make money from defamation. I could always stand to make a quick quid.​​
    And yet, you continue to persist...

Yes, I have a good idea as to the REAL reason for it since, as you mentioned, we've had conversations about it before. My reading of the situation is that you tried writing your head-canon into an article and got told off for it. Seriously, you tend to head canon things WAY too much and act like it's official.

So yes, your hatred of MA is not random, but it is also illegitimate.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing