test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Torpedos, Mines, Missiles, and Drones oh (my!)

Greetings and Salutations,

Ive been mulling over how to improve the non energy game and Ive come up with a rough idea.

First sort everything into 4 categories.
1) Torps thats are special use slow cooldown inventory or device items. Base against the call reinforcements for damage.

2) 2) Torpedos that are more normal use, used as now.

3) Mines

4) Missiles

One of the stated problems with the torps and playing with effects is the Devs said its hard to figure out what every single special proc will do. This will separate them and let us have all kinds of gas sniffing wildness without hurting overall ship performance.

Mines need some lovin really bad. We have a ton of nondescript attack patterns why not make them interesting...like one that if you activate tractor beam repulsors will flick any friendly mines at your target / nearest enemy. Plan them out and impliment them like the 2 stage torpedos and you will have another fun system that has some solid depth.

I have some more thoughts but thats all I have time to type out now.
Stellarum, mea sunt
The Stars are Mine.

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Greetings and Salutations,

Ive been mulling over how to improve the non energy game and Ive come up with a rough idea.

First sort everything into 4 categories.
    1) Torps thats are special use slow cooldown inventory or device items. Base against the call reinforcements for damage.

2) 2) Torpedos that are more normal use, used as now.

3) Mines

4) Missiles

One of the stated problems with the torps and playing with effects is the Devs said its hard to figure out what every single special proc will do. This will separate them and let us have all kinds of gas sniffing wildness without hurting overall ship performance.

Mines need some lovin really bad. We have a ton of nondescript attack patterns why not make them interesting...like one that if you activate tractor beam repulsors will flick any friendly mines at your target / nearest enemy. Plan them out and impliment them like the 2 stage torpedos and you will have another fun system that has some solid depth.

I have some more thoughts but thats all I have time to type out now.

Mines do not need love really bad the devs have already given them lots of great love and mines are now happy. Mines work great now and are in the best state they have been in for 8+ years.
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Giving the necessary technical complexity of the mines shown in Star Trek and the demonstrated abilities of torpedoes, it is TRIBBLE that we would have any "mines" without a worthwhile drive system--making them torpedoes again.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Mines are not, and have never been offensive weapons. They are area denial weapons. A mines purpose is to make it difficult/dangerous for an enemy to enter/cross a specific area. Mines in STO are already a step above what current mine concept have always been, as they will actively chase/engage targets, but still, only those that enter the specific detection range for that particular mine.

Just like real mines in present day, mines in STOs effectiveness relies on their ability to remain undetected until the target is too close to react and destroy them. A beam boat with BFAW, set to not auto select a target on attack, can wipe out a large mine field with no problem. A few missions include mine fields, but they are a minor annoyance at best, mine dropping enemy ships can be a pain but are still more annoying then dangerous to an alert player.

Of course area denial as a game strategy just does not fit with STOs game play, so innovative players figure out ways to use mines in an offensive role, such as flying right up to an enemy ship and dumping mines right on top of them, giving them no time to detect and destroy them before impact, or in the case of the Hurq, just dropping mines and letting those TRIBBLE kissing ramming swarmers kill themselves on them.

STOs mines have the type of drive system needed by a device that relies on stealth and is designed to only react to ships that come too close.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
    edited June 2018
    arionisa wrote: »
    Mines are not, and have never been offensive weapons. They are area denial weapons. A mines purpose is to make it difficult/dangerous for an enemy to enter/cross a specific area. Mines in STO are already a step above what current mine concept have always been, as they will actively chase/engage targets, but still, only those that enter the specific detection range for that particular mine.

Just like real mines in present day, mines in STOs effectiveness relies on their ability to remain undetected until the target is too close to react and destroy them. A beam boat with BFAW, set to not auto select a target on attack, can wipe out a large mine field with no problem. A few missions include mine fields, but they are a minor annoyance at best, mine dropping enemy ships can be a pain but are still more annoying then dangerous to an alert player.

Of course area denial as a game strategy just does not fit with STOs game play, so innovative players figure out ways to use mines in an offensive role, such as flying right up to an enemy ship and dumping mines right on top of them, giving them no time to detect and destroy them before impact, or in the case of the Hurq, just dropping mines and letting those **** kissing ramming swarmers kill themselves on them.

STOs mines have the type of drive system needed by a device that relies on stealth and is designed to only react to ships that come too close.
    Not sure I really agree with that as my mines have around about the same range as torpedoes and energy weapons and for short bursts longer range. So I am not having to fly right up to the enemy and dumping mines on top of them often hitting from as far as 15km away. Also my mines are boosted so a BFAW boat doesn't just wipe out the large mine field without a problem. So I let the mines track in from long range and they still hit.

My mines are very much offensive weapons. Sure the NPC mines are more a minor annoyance but player mines can be boosted to effective offensive weapon.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    You must have missed this part "Of course area denial as a game strategy just does not fit with STOs game play, so innovative players figure out ways to use mines in an offensive role,..."
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
    arionisa wrote: »
    You must have missed this part "Of course area denial as a game strategy just does not fit with STOs game play, so innovative players figure out ways to use mines in an offensive role,..."
    No I didn't miss that bit, I disagreed. Its not innovate to use mines as an offensive role as that is what they are designed for. Mines in Star Trek have always been more like depth charges that are attracted and move towards ships. They are not designed like this because they didn't fit into gameplay.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    wardcalis wrote: »
    Torps are fine, its too easy to push 100k dps with a torp boat, note the link in my sig... that was over 2 years ago, things have only gotten better since.

honestly the hardest thing is finding a good ship to use. I haven't found 1 ship to settle down on, The amarie is almost perfect with it's console but it lacks a free lt cmdr command slot for concentrate firepower 3. the command Sheshar has the perfect boff and perfect console layout but its too fat and slow and it looks like trash.

I agree and feared things a much worse. I dedicated my Jem toon to try out kinetics and I got around 150k in ISA pugs straight rather quickly. Given some practice I feel I can come even closer to my energy builds there.

As for the potent ships I agree as well, sadly no veteran one for jems but found a new home on the T6 Jem’Hadar dreadnought carrier. Turn rate is a pain but other than that nice boff layout for torps.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated