test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

on AOY recruitment rerun, include KDF plz

garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
and this would be an opportunity to give the KDF, Ferengis !!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Meh, I had three AoY toons and deleted one of them, I will ignore any AoY re-run at this point.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Not gonna happen
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    Obviously there WERE Klingons in the AOY era, so in general I think they missed an opportunity for KDF there. If a 23rd century Klingon captain was an option at the time I would have rolled one.
    However, that would have required a separate mission arc for 23rd century Klingons. And since that didn't happen, I don't expect to see it happen now. It would require too much work.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @djf021 said:
    > Obviously there WERE Klingons in the AOY era, so in general I think they missed an opportunity for KDF there. If a 23rd century Klingon captain was an option at the time I would have rolled one.
    > However, that would have required a separate mission arc for 23rd century Klingons. And since that didn't happen, I don't expect to see it happen now. It would require too much work.

Yes there was. But there is no KDF AOY faction and PWE/Cryptic isn't going back to make one now.

This idea is DOA. Give it up.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Obviously an AoY rerun will happen. Also it will obviously not have any KDF playable character involvement.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I agree. AoY will rerun, but not with KDF playable AoYs.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    At least they revamped the TOS era KDF uniform, and even added costume options for TOS style Klingons and Gorn.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User

rattler2 wrote: »
    At least they revamped the TOS era KDF uniform, and even added costume options for TOS style Klingons and Gorn.

Did that ever start working? The Gorn didn't allow for the uniform and the last time I even tried to modify my TOS Klingon BOFFs it changed to them to current ridged Klingons. And the uniforms only sort of looked TOS IMO.
    I don't know about the Gorn uniform, but you can at least make the Gorn look like a TOS era Gorn rather than the sharper STO era Gorn.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    garaks31 wrote: »

OOooo I like that idea. :) But I think the problem is: Temporal Probes inside all the missions would have to be added in on the KDF side specific missions, too....and probably more work than it is worth.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    If we weren't able to get Caitains with AOY on the grounds that they weren't observed in the original production of TOS (though the movies established them as present in the FED in that era) then playable TOS Ferengi are right out.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    If we weren't able to get Caitains with AOY on the grounds that they weren't observed in the original production of TOS (though the movies established them as present in the FED in that era) then playable TOS Ferengi are right out.

The closest we got to seeing Caitians in the TOS era was TAS.
    latest?cb=20061205201828&path-prefix=en
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited July 2018

The closest we got to seeing Caitians in the TOS era was TAS.
    latest?cb=20061205201828&path-prefix=en

Not quite. ;)

Caitian-brown.jpg

There's a couple Caitians present in the Federation council in Voyage Home (ie. TOS movie 4).
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Caitian

The Caitian pictured is also an admiral, strongly suggesting their service history stretches into the proper run of the TOS series. Thus even without TAS we can say that there were probably Caitians serving during time of AOY. This was pointed out at the time, but Cryptic's priority was to kept to the strictest possible interpretation of TOS aesthetics (ie. what was shown on screen during the TV series, except for new ship designs and the Tholian interior, not what can be justified from later productions as being reasonable to that time [see also. Saurians].)

The point being is that even with something that make sense for the AOY time period, but was not shown in TOS, there's a critical argument against it. The Ferengi are right out.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    I personally split the overall TOS era into two sub-eras.
    • TOS - everything up to TMP
    • TMP - TMP through TUC

The split point for me is the refit of the Enterprise. But you are right. There most likely wouldn't be any Caitian Admirals if Caitians weren't active in Starfleet even as far back as Pike's time as Captain of Enterprise.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    It's a shame the restrictions were so narrow. Not even aliens? The rewards, especially the Mk 13 UR rep project item account unlock and the 3 active space doffs, were excellent though. Settled for a Vulcan as well as an Andorian on my f2p account.
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    They should have done both a RSE and KDF campaign for AoY, but as others have said it's probably never going to happen. A Romulan AoY campaign would have been particularly interesting as the century since TOS was not kind to the Romulans and they would be facing a huge choice once they made it to the 24th Century....Sela or D'Tan.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    The AoY stuff was basically to do something fancy for the 50th anniversary of Trek as a whole. Naturally the focus was on TOS Starfleet since that's who the original series followed was starfleet. While I wouldn't have minded seeing some 23rd century KDF i'm not surprise all we got was starfleet. As for the event re-run, it will be just that, a re-run if/when they do such a thing. I highly highly doubt they would go back and add in all of that just for a recruitment event now.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »

What makes you think that? There were no Ferengi in TOS, either Fed or KDF side. Your argument makes no sense.

Did that ever start working? The Gorn didn't allow for the uniform and the last time I even tried to modify my TOS Klingon BOFFs it changed to them to current ridged Klingons. And the uniforms only sort of looked TOS IMO.

TOS Gorn uniform is still a no go. I checked about a week ago, with my TOS-style Gorn at the First City tailor. AoY gave us smooth headed Klingon options (even for ordinary Klingons), and Mara's outfit and makeup (though, oddly, last time I checked with my female Klingon BOFFs, the Mara makeup only worked on Alien gen Klingons, not real ones).

M'Ress hair for female Caitians would be nice, though!
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »

M'Ress hair for female Caitians would be nice, though!

This, so much this! Caitians need more hair options, period.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    TOS every ship had their own unique symbol... by TMP they all switched to the Enterprise symbol cause it represented the TV show... Hated it. Even this game took the cheap approach and uses it inappropriately when they went back to TOS era.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    TOS every ship had their own unique symbol... by TMP they all switched to the Enterprise symbol cause it represented the TV show... Hated it. Even this game took the cheap approach and uses it inappropriately when they went back to TOS era.
    that was not actually confirmed in TOS. Some did some didn't in TOS, and (in-universe) it's not clear why.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    It's a shame the restrictions were so narrow. Not even aliens? The rewards, especially the Mk 13 UR rep project item account unlock and the 3 active space doffs, were excellent though. Settled for a Vulcan as well as an Andorian on my f2p account.

Well they went back on their promise not to make aliens available to Romulans (Originally they planned it so that you could only make Romulan/"insert race here" hybrids with the alien gen...but went back on that.) Notice no aliens for 23rd Century or Dominion.
    lianthelia wrote: »

Well they went back on their promise not to make aliens available to Romulans (Originally they planned it so that you could only make Romulan/"insert race here" hybrids with the alien gen...but went back on that.) Notice no aliens for 23rd Century or Dominion.
    You have a strange way of defining "promise".... Are you sure you're not possessed by the ghost of PeregrineFalcon? *sprays with holy water*
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    that was not actually confirmed in TOS. Some did some didn't in TOS, and (in-universe) it's not clear why.

I can't recall offhand any other ship in TOS that used the Enterprise's insignia.

As for TMP, the explanation for making the Enterprise insignia universal for Starfleet (or Star Fleet, as it was spelt back then) was that the Enterprise was the only one of the Constitution Class top-of-the-line ships to successfully return intact from the last round of five year missions - all the others were destroyed (Constellation, Intrepid and Valiant, for example), missing (Defiant), or had lost all crew (Exeter). While not all the other ships had their fates individually described during TOS, that was the explanation given out by TPTB with the release of TMP.
    vorwoda wrote: »
    I can't recall offhand any other ship in TOS that used the Enterprise's insignia.

As for TMP, the explanation for making the Enterprise insignia universal for Starfleet (or Star Fleet, as it was spelt back then) was that the Enterprise was the only one of the Constitution Class top-of-the-line ships to successfully return intact from the last round of five year missions - all the others were destroyed (Constellation, Intrepid and Valiant, for example), missing (Defiant), or had lost all crew (Exeter). While not all the other ships had their fates individually described during TOS, that was the explanation given out by TPTB with the release of TMP.
    Mmm.. problem here is that we only actually saw 5 Assignment Patches used on ships. (6 if you count the 4-pointed star worn by the Human lady on the Elysian council, but it's not clear if she's even wearing a Starfleet uniform, she MIGHT be wearing the patch of the Bonaventure, or maybe not, we don't even know if she arrived in Elysia on the Bonaventure. Also she's wearing WHITE, which would seem to indicate that she's a diplomat and not starship crew at all. But that could reflect her current position as a councilor, however if it does then the logo she wears may also reflect that) Also the one used by the Enterprise was definitely also used by the Ariel. Also there are 17 named Constitution class ships alone.

also there's an official explanation: http://www.startrek.com/article/starfleet-insignia-explained
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »

You have a strange way of defining "promise".... Are you sure you're not possessed by the ghost of PeregrineFalcon? *sprays with holy water*

Well it angers me they decide not to enforce their idea for the aliengen for Romulans...but they did it for 23rd Century Feds and Dominion...not to mention the fact they refuse to give RR any other kind of race...like they didn't give RR Talaxian or Cardassian...and will likely never make a playable Suliban for them.

They completely don't give a care about it once way yet enforce it another way...should be one or the other...and since they can't go back and delete aliengen characters...Romulans should get at least Talaxians and Cardassians
  • edxelledxell Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    I've seen people in this thread mention 23c Klingons and Romulans. What about a 23c Dominion faction?
This discussion has been closed.