test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Mission: The Trafalgar Paradox

Just published, my latest mission, The Trafalgar Paradox.

Mission Title: The Trafalgar Paradox
Faction: Federation
Level: 16+
ID: ST-HGXR23YAN

Starfleet has detected a distress signal from the USS Trafalgar, missing in the Briar Patch for the past thirteen years. Your orders are to locate it and determine what happened to its crew. The truth leads to a mind-bending temporal paradox that threatens to disrupt the entire sector.

A mission for Starfleet captains levels 16 and higher. A story-centric mission with a moderate amount of ground combat.

Part one of the Eternity Chronicles, a three-part (at least) series about time travel. Comments and reviews are welcome.
Foundry Missions by @zebgodwin
Trouble in Trimble: An illicit Reman colony is under attack by Orion pirates. Will you defend the colony or arrest its only defender?
Paying the Price: You must protect an uncontacted pre-warp civilization from Orion slavers, without violating the Prime Directive.
The Mirror of Infinity: To save your ship, you must convince the descendants of the crew of the long-lost USS Infinity to work with their mortal enemies - their Mirror Universe counterparts. Part of the USS Infinity Foundry Roundtable Challenge.
The Tholian Tempest: A rescue mission on a Y-class world leaves the away team stranded inside a Shakespeare play while under attack by Tholians and Gorn.
The Trafalgar Paradox: A mission to locate a missing Starfleet vessel leads the away team into a mind-bending temporal paradox.

Comments

• ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    I just played your mission minutes ago, and it's very good. Like i said in the online review, it gave me the feeling of an actual TNG episode. I'm also glad it was featuring an enemy species that we do not get to fight very often on STO's official content, so that was a good point too.

All in all, i thoroughly enjoyed it, and will look forward to Part II.
  • zebgodwinzebgodwin Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Thanks! And thanks to everyone who has played this mission so far. It is now out of review and available for everyone to play.
    Foundry Missions by @zebgodwin
    Trouble in Trimble: An illicit Reman colony is under attack by Orion pirates. Will you defend the colony or arrest its only defender?
    Paying the Price: You must protect an uncontacted pre-warp civilization from Orion slavers, without violating the Prime Directive.
    The Mirror of Infinity: To save your ship, you must convince the descendants of the crew of the long-lost USS Infinity to work with their mortal enemies - their Mirror Universe counterparts. Part of the USS Infinity Foundry Roundtable Challenge.
    The Tholian Tempest: A rescue mission on a Y-class world leaves the away team stranded inside a Shakespeare play while under attack by Tholians and Gorn.
    The Trafalgar Paradox: A mission to locate a missing Starfleet vessel leads the away team into a mind-bending temporal paradox.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Just gave it a run, good mission! See. comments in the review (good flow, felt like a very well constructed mission, solid officer dialog [I liked the disobedience], interesting moral dilemma), but I came out of it feeling a little disconnected with the player character, as written, and the take on [spoilers] here versus past examples (took an opposing approach by the relevant directive, though I understand the complication.)

As I was approaching that initial confrontation, I was personally opposed to the course of action we tried to take (because of what I thought of the situation and of my character's perspective on events.) Its a complex moral issue,
    with players potentially having FED characters with personal experience (ie. TOS characters and those who RP as being displaced from other time periods) that lends to a more sympathetic view of the crew and potential reluctance to subject others to displacement without dire cause [not simply avoiding interference, which by the letter would be simply removing the dividians from the picture and accepting whatever reversion to "natural time" that caused]
    . I think for that confrontation, two dialog paths through (presenting a yes/no choice which either fails or is overridden) would allow that complexity to be explored without forcing the player into a line of dialog which they may have a significant disagreement with (with the next map allowing for context and consequences to be established for those who chose the "well, if we leave this we'll probably be okay.")

But that's the kind of issue that prompts discussion and self examination (on the part of the player, proceeding through) which, even though there is feedback to give, ultimately shows that as an author you're exploring questions of substance and connecting that directly to the player's experience of your mission. I enjoyed this and I look forward to the continuations. :)

One point of dialog:
    I think it's natural that the Dividians don't respect the temporal prime directive, it's a FED construct. Its effective shorthand, to an STO player, for what's at stake but in story context it might be more fair to state the core issue that they don't appreciate the consequences their actions have on the timeline and other species. Same idea, just steers clear of the implication that our goal is to simply enforce an internal directive on species which has chosen not to follow it. ;)

Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!