test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Mecha Universe?

ryurangerryuranger Member Posts: 520 Arc User
With Season 6 of Voltron Legendary Defender and Season 7 soon to follow I think they Should do the Vehicle Force Voltron next that was season 2 as a Spinoff series that shares the Same Universe and A Reboot Robotech Series as well. One of the Reasons why they should make this move so that way the Franchise can stay alive and give new life to other once like Robotech and Vehicle Force Voltron; but if they are gonna go with this rout they should do a Robotech Series first as away to give Earth chance to have there story and the Reboot can go vary simaler to the Original series but with Voltron to help them out just an idea they should go with.
May the Shwartz Be With You
CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    If they throw in Robotech that would be a crossover. And honestly... with how aggressive Harmony Gold is with trying to sue the shtako out of anyone who has something that remotely looks like something from Robotech (*cough*Battletech*cough*) I don't see ANY possibility of ANY kind of crossover whatsoever.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Eh, BattleTech got in trouble because they were using the actual designs from Robotech's Japanese source material due to misunderstandings between multiple companies over how exclusive the licensing was.

I think I heard that Harmony Gold's rights to the japanese shows that make up Robotech are going to be expiring around 2022 though. So who knows what is going to happen to the Robotech brand down the road. If they lose the licensing rights they would probably have to do a total reboot of the story and visual designs.
  • Options
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    Eh, BattleTech got in trouble because they were using the actual designs from Robotech's Japanese source material due to misunderstandings between multiple companies over how exclusive the licensing was.

That was back in the 1980s though. While some of those were legit, the fact that Harmony Gold kept gunning for ANYTHING Battletech/Mechwarrior for decades shows thatit was basically anything that REMOTELY looked like something from Robotech. I mean they even tried to sue over the design of several Battlemechs, saying they were ripoffs of their stuff when they look NOTHING like them whatsoever. I mean an Atlas looks NOTHING like ANYTHING in Robotech, yet Harmony Gold included that design in a lawsuit.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    They did had a Crossover Comic Event and if Harmony gold is not doing anything with Robotech then they should sell it and allow someone else do something but it dose not have to be Robotech there are many others they can use hell like i said there is even The Other Voltron Force from season 2 Megiazer Z and many more they can use to for this kind of Universe. Hell they can even do a Power Ranger Crossover too since Zordon is from Altar hint hint.
    CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg
  • Options
    Harmony Gold isn't going to sell. They're too busy slapping lawsuits on anything Battletech that they can to make money off them.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I think Harmony Gold took that approach because they thought they'd go broke if they didn't... which well... yeah.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Which meant they were more interested in sueing people rather than actually doing what they were supposed to, and that is distributing Robotech. We haven't had anything new in years. And they've seen to it that just about anything Battletech/Mechwarrior goes down in flames because of their predatory actions. They TRIED to shut down the new Battletech game and failed (Judge dismissed the lawsuit WITH PREJUDICE, meaning in the case of Battletech, Harmony Gold can't even touch that particular game anymore). They're still trying to nail the upcoming MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries, and I think they have an ongoing lawsuit with MechWarrior Online.

You'd think they have a hard on for sueing ANYTHING with any kind of mecha, yet they didn't even bother going after Pacific Rim. Its ALWAYS been anything to do with Battletech/MechWarrior. The second anything new for Battletech is announced, out comes the lawyers.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah I suspect the actual IP owner is highly displeased and has no interest in renewing the contract.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Agreed.
  • Options
    Actually BattleTech's game developers wound up settling with Harmony Gold in that recent lawsuit. The previous dismissal was the result of Harmony not having its paperwork in order when it submitted the lawsuit. HG was trying to challenge that ruling, asking the courts to supena the japanese studios for their copies of the contracts. Ironically HG is in a lawsuit against the Japanese companies that own Macross over how much of the licensing rights their contract actually entitles them to. If the courts agreed to the appeal it would potentially tie up the legal proceedings for months if not years. The BattleTech guys seemed to have taken an easy out with a settlement rather than risk jeopardizing Mech Warrior 5's launch with more legal trolling. The whole thing is a big convoluted mess and the details tend to be murky at best. :(

Considering all this, I find it highly doubtful that HG will be able to renew its license on Macross. I'm less certain on Super Dimension Northern Cross or Genesis Climber Mospeada (the other two franchises that Robotech was made with). It would be the ultimate irony if HG had to stop using Macross material in any Robotech productions.
  • Options
    Yea... a lawsuit against a hand that fed them.
    Kinda shows their priorities doesn't it?
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Easier to sue than to actually create something. There should be a change to the laws that state that if an IP has no work done on it within 10 years and it has to be released in the near future after they start working on it, then the IP has to be transferred or sent to the Public Domain. That should prevent IPs from being taken hostage or sent to development hell by certain companies.
  • Options
    To be fair Harmony Gold did try to create an original second series for Robotech back in the day, but it flopped hard and failed to get a full seasons run like they had hoped. After that the franchise totally stagnated though...

Whereas Macross has done pretty well with numerous sequels and spinoffs, which have been largely blocked due to HG's trolling.
  • Options
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    To be fair Harmony Gold did try to create an original second series for Robotech back in the day, but it flopped hard and failed to get a full seasons run like they had hoped. After that the franchise totally stagnated though...

Whereas Macross has done pretty well with numerous sequels and spinoffs, which have been largely blocked due to HG's trolling.

Harmony Gold has really done nothing to warrent their continued hold on the DISTRIBUTION rights to Robotech. Literally all they have done is sit on it and attack the Battletech franchise.
  • Options
    Well they do have a comic book going, so that isn't totally accurate. I think we need to make a distinction between Robotech and its Japanese source materials. There is no Japanese Robotech franchise, it is a distinct amalgamated product created by Harmony Gold from three separate shows.

Even if the licensing rights to Macross, Mospeada, and Northern Cross expire, Harmony Gold will still technically hold the rights on Robotech itself... although any future works would have to be dramatically reimagined and rebuilt from the ground up. Considering how rooted Robotech is with the original Macross storyline it is hard to say just how much of Robotech could survive without it.
  • Options
    Yes and So was Voltron was the same two matter infect the Two Seasons of the First Voltron Series did the Same thing ion Force Voltron (Voltron of the Far Universe; Voltron III) was Beast King GoLion Vehicle Team Voltron (Voltron of the Near Universe; Voltron I) Armored Fleet Dairugger XV and the Forgotten season Gladiator Voltron (Voltron of the Middle Universe; Voltron II) Lightspeed Electroid Albegas but was replaced with another season of Lion Force Voltron witch they should do a Universe out of these once first then go into like Robotech and other Mecha Shows.
    CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I'd LOVE some Dairugger!

I prefer Go!lion and Dairuuger....since Voltron, since the beginning, felt it insulted my intelligence, and the censorship completely put me off those, and I only stick to the original Japanese stuffs.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg