test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's the difference between the Vanguard JH and the Non-Vanguard Jem'Hadar?

robert#4620 robert Member Posts: 129 Arc User
I looked at the wiki and seem that there isn't much of a difference between the Vanguard and NonVanguard Jem'Hadar.

I was hopping for something like unique costume items or exclusive abilities that are not passive.

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    The better racial trait aside vanguards also have more cosmetic options in the character creator. More hairstyles, headcrests, etc. Not much but still something.

They also have a slightly better staring point.
    Free'Hadar
    2 Reputations completed:
    tac: omega & iconian
    engi: omega & nukara
    sci: nukara & iconian
    1 & 1/2 specs filled:
    tac: intel (30) & command (15)
    engi: miracle worker (30) & command (15)
    sci: command (30) & intel 15)

Zen'Hadar Vanguard
    all 3 careers get all 3 reps finished
    omega, nukara, iconian
    2 specs completely filled
    tac: intel (30) & command (30)
    engi: miracle worker (30) & command (30)
    sci: command (30) & intel (30)

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Also note: they have to fix the Space Trait on the Vanguard.

You are paying Cryptic for 15 spec points and to have one reputation filled out.
    These are all things that may take time, but is free for you to finish if you intend on playing this character.

Only thing I like is the Vanguard Uniform.

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • robert#4620 robert Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

You are paying Cryptic for 15 spec points and to have one reputation filled out.
    These are all things that may take time, but is free for you to finish if you intend on playing this character.

Do you have a picture of it?
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    The better racial trait aside vanguards also have more cosmetic options in the character creator. More hairstyles, headcrests, etc. Not much but still something.

Free'Hadar
    2 Reputations completed:
    1 & 1/2 specs filled:

Zen'Hadar Vanguard
    omega, nukara, iconian

This is good information to know besides that Space Trait.

To me this adds even more value to the Vanguard Starter Pack & makes the inflated price of the playable Cardassians even more of a rip-off lol since these Vanguards even if bought separately are cheaper & offer a player more.
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    The reputations and specializations all get filled out over time by any character, but the fact that the Vanguard's racial trait grants bonuses in space as well as on the ground is a lasting benefit.
  • robert#4620 robert Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    schloopdoo wrote: »
    The reputations and specializations all get filled out over time by any character, but the fact that the Vanguard's racial trait grants bonuses in space as well as on the ground is a lasting benefit.

What trait are you referring to?
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    The racial trait that they have built-in. All Jem'Hadar gain bonus damage for ranged weapon and melee attacks, crit chance, and crit severity on the ground. The Vanguards get that, plus bonuses to damage, crit chance, and crit severity in space.
    Post edited by schloopdoo on
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

Thanks for the clarification. Actually I was wondering myself about the difference (although I've already bought the starter pack at that moment ^^).

As you say: it really depends on. But I personally like the fact to have some reputations already have to be filled out.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    Did they ever state the exact trait numbers for Vanguard Jems? Mine don't have them listed in-game, but only refer to "bonus damage". This is rather vague for a game that has items you pay cash for and math involved :smile:

• neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    Do they both get rep-sponsorships? I was confused that I didn't need sponsorship tokens for my vanguard.
  • majorhalcyonmajorhalcyon Member Posts: 199 Arc User

Free'Hadar
    2 Reputations completed:
    1 & 1/2 specs filled:

Zen'Hadar Vanguard
    omega, nukara, iconian

Something else I've noticed with the pre-filled Rep trees, and I'm not sure if it's a bug, intended, or because I'm only using 'Free'hadar': there is no option to create a Sponsorship token with the those Reps. I could be a design decision, but I kind of hope it's a bug, since Accolade and Title hunters would be left out for the 2-3 those would give...
  • themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User

Free'Hadar
    2 Reputations completed:
    1 & 1/2 specs filled:

Zen'Hadar Vanguard
    omega, nukara, iconian

Something else I've noticed with the pre-filled Rep trees, and I'm not sure if it's a bug, intended, or because I'm only using 'Free'hadar': there is no option to create a Sponsorship token with the those Reps. I could be a design decision, but I kind of hope it's a bug, since Accolade and Title hunters would be left out for the 2-3 those would give...

It isn't a bug.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    To me what is hilarious, in a bad way, is that the Vanguards & other playable species are cheaper than the Cardassians, if bought separately, & the Vanguards offer the player so much more for their money.

Besides getting the playable Cardassians via the mega Gamma Pack Cryptic figured there would be enough suckers out there for that one unique Cardassian trait & the "barbie" nostalgia.
    Jem Vanguard space traits no longer a mystery... must have missed the post about it that came out June 5:

https://reddit.com/r/sto/comments/8os69d/vanguard_jemhadar_space_trait_underwhelming/

+5% all dmg, +1% CrtH, +2.5% CrtD (they should add these to the in-game description)

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Yeah, should have been included in the captain's trait description because if you don't own vangaurd boffs you have no place to check.
    Decent trait though, like second best after right SRO. Stacking that 4 times seems like a good thing to do.
    As of 6/21/2018 pre-patch. Not listed as fix or know issue in current patch notes. Wonder where reddit screenshot is from? Were details changed or exact specs removed until there's a fix? Any reference threads or notes re: space trait broke?

Not complaining, am really enjoying my trio of jem toons, just curious :smile:

8FkO4rP.jpg

Yeah, should have been included in the captain's trait description because if you don't own vangaurd boffs you have no place to check.
    Decent trait though, like second best after right SRO. Stacking that 4 times seems like a good thing to do.
    Although a reddit poster made the stacking comment it's not reflected in their screenshot. Could you enlighten me a bit about the stacking and the description being on a Vanguard boff? I purchased the large full pack and all of my very rare's just show a superior engineered soldier ground trait, and there is no space trait description on any of the other blues or greens as well. To add to the confusion the C-store Personnel Tab lists "Reclaim 3 very rare Jem Boffs", yet I only have 2 on my current crew.

protoneous wrote: »
    Although a reddit poster made the stacking comment it's not reflected in their screenshot. Could you enlighten me a bit about the stacking and the description being on a Vanguard boff? I purchased the large full pack and all of my very rare's just show a superior engineered soldier ground trait, and there is no space trait description on any of the other blues or greens as well. To add to the confusion the C-store Personnel Tab lists "Reclaim 3 very rare Jem Boffs", yet I only have 2 on my current crew.

Edit: Claimed the reclaim pack, now have 2 duplicate very rare boffs with a third added. All have the space trait so understand the stacking. Assume the fourth stack is my own character. Sorry for any confusion on my or Cryptic's part.

• casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    It's still not working space-wise. Needs a fix.
    westmetals wrote: »
    protoneous wrote: »

The "Default" Very Rare BOFFs - those not from the expansion pack - are standard Jem'Hadar, *not* Jem'Hadar Vanguard, and therefore do not have, and are not supposed to have, the space trait. (Check species listing on the officer.)

Only the three from the expansion pack have that trait. The two on your current crew are, more than likely, the two included among the default 7-officer crew, not the ones from the expansion pack.
    Yes my bad for not claiming the Vanguard officers right away as I've bought other expansion packs in the past where the method of getting any special boffs was the same (C-Store). Would have cleared up some confusion about the space stats for me as well. They're trained up and part of my bridge crew now so we be good.