What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Landing Page Feedback Thread

Comments

• solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    strathkin wrote: »
    vosoros wrote: »
    Next up for "improvements"; square wheels...DOH!

Yeah, I just can't emphasise how much I'm not a fan of the new landing page. Sorry if you went to a lot of work on it...but there you have it I'm afraid.

:'(

Yea I'm just surprised they didn't use the HAIL button Landing Page to open on first load. It already has Calendar and far more information that what the new Landing Page has...

Best of all it already has the HAIL button so if you choose to see it again it's easy to popup. And just like the Neverwinter Landing Page the HAIL button also has a Calendar so it wouldn't require BINDING to the MAIN MENU.

The one good thing however is people have provided A LOT of feedback about what they definitely don't like; and a few have made suggestions on how they could likely FIX or make it far better or more player friendly.

if the forum rules didn't forbid references to gambling, you could set odds on whether ANY of the feedback will influence it in the present or future. (and if you bet in favour of any of the feedback being listened to, you may be interested in some nice mountain property in Kansas, or an oceanfront home in southern Arizona.)

Considering that they only asked for opinions after the fact, not even hinting about its existence before it was imposed, I suspect you're right.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I knew something like it was coming due to it being in a youtube video by stounrefined of things on tribble.

What I stupidly assumed was that the clunky looking barebones effort was still being worked on to at least make it look presentable while apparently it was considered done.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Missing an entire panel on my Landing Page this morning. No picture at all in the lower right hand corner.

It is already broken?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    It's worse than useless on the ESC menu. When I'm leaving the store after checking out, with my arms full of grocery bags, and ad for a sale on Cool Whip is not going to get me to drop my purchases and dash back. I'm still going out to my car and going home with my perishables.

The pop-up happening once per account login (as has been the case since the patch) is fine, reasonable, and effective, the ESC menu thing just...isn't, on any level. Please get rid of this customer-alienating and counterproductive spam.
  • mephizton2092mephizton2092 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    It annoyed me alot. If they had taken it down and fixed it, i wouldnt auto esc click it away during loggon.

Others porbally have given the same feed back, here is my spamm:
    - It would be more usefull if the news would show dailly offers, i already know they key page in zen store. With your short time framed specials this would be the spot to place it in ingame.
    - season update, i allready have under the minimap when seasons launch.
    - FE in there isnt bad, just make it useful when no FE's are running
    - Add a weekly foundry hotspot in it.
    - Keep it up to date, so no news that will linger there for months so people skip the function in total. Keep it usefull
    - Als keep in mind; Arc users see news, forum visitors see news, sto launcher also shows news. So to keep it informing dont add things in you allready read 3-4 times.
    - If you don't make it usefull for your dailly players, add an option to remove the popup from starting

I see that this could be usefull for old and new players. Currently you actually let me hate the thing and made it pointless, and gave me an autoclick away when i start playing. I dont read it annymore, so its just data eating garbage atm.
    "Reports of our depression are vastly exaggerated."
    "Anyaway, we don't often see a sense of humor in Section 31."
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Missing an entire panel on my Landing Page this morning. No picture at all in the lower right hand corner.

It is already broken?

The missing panel is where they put in the MI a week before it was due to end rather than have it in from the get go.

Apparently they've got no major upcoming additions to the game that they might want to draw attention to by filling the black space.

Victory is not the lander.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

It is already broken?
    There is no event going ATM so there is nothing to put there.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

It is already broken?
    Which just goes to show how badly its been designed. Large empty panels is not a problem well designed landing pages should have.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »

It is already broken?
    Which just goes to show how badly its been designed. Large empty panels is not a problem well designed landing pages should have.
    So what? You want them to put the lockbox key ad back in that slot?
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User

It is already broken?

This is why the popup was better than binding it to the ESC menu. The window could then scale to the content available to be advertised instead of being a static place holder.
    edited June 2018

It is already broken?
    So what? You want them to put the lockbox key ad back in that slot?
    It would make more sense for when the current event has ended to put the next upcoming event from the calendar with the start date. In the rare times when there are no upcoming events listed then put upcoming or active calendar items like XP weekends. There is just about always something useful from the calendar that could be displayed.

The current design which so far doesn't show the current event until ages after its started and then blank when there is no event means its going to spend around 70% of its life blank. Which is not what I would call a useful design.
    And the BUG is back. With the ViL update, this useless spam is back to showing at EACH CHARACTER'S login, rather than once per account. AND it's still on the ESC menu. Come on, give us an option to disable it for the Player's you're alienating. OR change it back to once per account login and get it off the ESC menu, PLEASE!
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Sigh ! Put a dam disable button in for this useless pile of trash. I know there's an expansion.

Arc launcher tells me
    Game launcher tells me
    Hail button tells me
    Help and support button in game tells me
    STO forums tell me
    Reddit tells me
    Facebook tells me

Probably lots of other sources have the info that I don't use

I don't need this dam landing page popping up when its not wanted. Whether it be bound to ESC key or as its currently doing again on character changing.

I have noticed that if I log out of the character and log back into the same character the page won't auto load again unless the game is closed down and relaunched. Still I don't need to see this thing popping up as I go through my account.

Worst inclusion into the game ever and the players hate it.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • vosorosvosoros Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    Went back to the Beta Quadrant after Storm Clouds gather mission for the Gamma Quadrant season...and had a weird moment where the landing page popped up. Dunno what the heck that was about...but I wasn't a happy camper.
  • farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    After the patch today that was supposed to prevent the landing page from showing up on map transfers, the landing page is once again showing up every time I switch to a new character.

It's one thing for the landing page to be useless, out of date, annoying, and primarily an advertisement, but it hasn't even worked as intended since it was introduced. Perhaps it would be better to mothball it until the bugs can be ironed out.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    farranor wrote: »
    It's one thing for the landing page to be useless, out of date, annoying, and primarily an advertisement, but it hasn't even worked as intended since it was introduced. Perhaps it would be better to mothball it until the bugs can be ironed out.

You sound surprised that it isn't WAI. Just typical rushed coding of a totally useless addition to the game that's not wanted.

This is going to be an ongoing issue for a long long time so we'd better get used to seeing it pop up on every character login every Thursday or any day a patch is performed.

maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    farranor wrote: »

You sound surprised that it isn't WAI. Just typical rushed coding of a totally useless addition to the game that's not wanted.

This is going to be an ongoing issue for a long long time so we'd better get used to seeing it pop up on every character login every Thursday or any day a patch is performed.

lol this never ended for me. It has always popped up on every character login. As most do now, i just hover my fingers of the ESC button in preparation for the useless to appear.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    @ambassadorkael#6946:

On May 10, 2018, you wrote:
    Hey folks, we'll be making some changes to the landing page in an upcoming update - it was intended to only appear once per account, not once per character.

More than a month later, we're seeing the landing page appear on every character. In fact, I see it at least twice per character: once on the window that says "WELCOME BACK <character name>" and again on the main menu when I press Esc to switch characters or to log out. That's a lower bound. The landing page shows up every time you bring up the main menu for any reason — whether it's to rearrange the HUD, change the game's options, change characters, log out, or exit the game. If you switch to the same character more than once, then you see the landing page every time you press Esc to log out of that character. And if you restart the game client, the "WELCOME BACK" spam starts all over again.

Also, the PC patch notes for 05/10/2018 say:
    Players who are below level 10 will not see this page upon log in.

This is not true. I see the landing page even on characters who are below level 10. My guess is that the determining factor is whether or not the character has finished the tutorial, where "finished the tutorial" means different things for Feds, Romulans, and Klingons. I see the landing page on my level 3 Ferengi, but not on my level 6 Reman. The last thing my Ferengi did was talk to Quinn after arriving on ESD; the last thing my Reman did was talk to D'Tan after arriving at the flotilla.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Still seeing the landing page on every character log-in. That's how many fix attempts now, 2?

Remove. Simple. Menu. Popup. thnx.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • vosorosvosoros Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    Funny thought; maybe the landing page is like the attempt to fit the U.S.S. Excelsior with transwarp...and we all know how that turned out!

;)
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    PSA: if you opt to play a mission through the landing page (which auto-updates to the next recent mission you've yet to complete) you transwarp immediately with no cost.

Esc->click->done

frtoaster wrote: »
    and again on the main menu when I press Esc to switch characters or to log out. That's a lower bound.

Are we still circling around this one? Kael was referring to the pop-up, it's the only aspect of the landing page that has a set per character or per account frequency. See above. The ESC-bound landing page is a variable for which your own input determines the frequency. And mind you, this was the consensus opinion up until the landing page was updated. Then, this complaint emerged that Kael was supposedly referring to the ESC menu as well. I do have to question whether that's objective feedback or a sliding scale of discontent. Now that the page is less annoying (it only pops up once per account), another angle is needed to continue justifying the same level of frustration (in hopes the major point: remove it, isn't undermined by the change in situation.) Enter: selective re-interpretation of an old post and refusal to accept qualifications when offered (V'ger style.)

*Shrugs*

What we have now is more dynamic than the first landing page and provides more relevant information to the new season (ex. your next episode, new c-store content), and has a definite use which beats out the old analog (mission journal->side banner->scroll a place or two->click->transwarp button->done). It would be nice if we had the option to disable but I would personally downgrade it on the list of priorities to "Requested QoL feature" (and more relevant once we're back to a seasonal release schedule and the landing page has less of a content-plosion to assist with. It's useful working through 6 missions, but if there's only one that's fairly marginal.) Anyway, there's other areas of the game in more serious objective need and anyone who would like to argue otherwise might just want to poke around the foundry for 15 minutes for a bit of context. Maybe having some extra graphics on a menu isn't the worst thing that could happen to your favorite realm in STO.

Still seeing the landing page on every character log-in.
    I'm not. Are you only playing one character? Silly to ask but it pays to be specific. Are you on the same map each time? What faction/species? If we can reproduce the conditions that cause this, a bug fix is more likely to happen in the near future.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited June 2018
    PSA: if you opt to play a mission through the landing page (which auto-updates to the next recent mission you've yet to complete) you transwarp immediately with no cost.

Esc->click->done
    That’s rather less convenient and much slower than the normal method plus it has lots of extra mouse tracking. Its hardly a plus feature and is something I am going to completely skip using as it offers no real benefit, in fact its worse. I would rather not have that horrible landing page then have something as pointless as that. The information I am seeing is still irrelevant for me and often being duplicated.

All the landing page does for me is get in the way and cause extra frustration. There is no reason to force it on us multiply times a day. Its a flat out bad and poor design. The devs need to go look at a decent useful landing page like the one the Division has. Now that how it should be done where is pops up a few time a season and you never see it again until the next major update.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2018

Esc->click->done
    That’s rather less convenient and much slower than the normal method

It literally takes me 2 seconds.

You just need to face it that its a flat out bad and poor design. The devs need to go look at a decent useful landing page like the one the Division has. Now that how it should be done.

Refer to my posts throughout this thread. I'm not going to relitigate my own complaints about the landing page and what that says about my overall opinion about its design (relative to alternatives) because you want to have a different discussion from the one that's taking place.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

Esc->click->done
    That’s rather less convenient and much slower than the normal method

It literally takes me 2 seconds.
    The normal none landing page method takes me around half a second, less mouse tracking and less clicks. As for the landing page is has not get any less frustrating over time.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I think the bug with it popping up on every character is back too.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    frtoaster wrote: »
    and again on the main menu when I press Esc to switch characters or to log out. That's a lower bound.

Are we still circling around this one? Kael was referring to the pop-up, it's the only aspect of the landing page that has a set per character or per account frequency. See above. The ESC-bound landing page is a variable for which your own input determines the frequency. And mind you, this was the consensus opinion up until the landing page was updated. Then, this complaint emerged that Kael was supposedly referring to the ESC menu as well. I do have to question whether that's objective feedback or a sliding scale of discontent. Now that the page is less annoying (it only pops up once per account), another angle is needed to continue justifying the same level of frustration (in hopes the major point: remove it, isn't undermined by the change in situation.) Enter: selective re-interpretation of an old post and refusal to accept qualifications when offered (V'ger style.)

No one's saying that Kael promised to remove it from the ESC menu, or are selectively re-interpreting an old post. It's obvious that the ESC menu bit is a "feature", not a bug. However, this is a feedback thread, and people are providing valid and honest feedback by pointing out that the addition of this to the ESC menu is counterproductive and valueless. I admit that you do have a point with your argument that clicking through from the landing page provides direct access to features which the launcher doesn't have. And on first login, that might arguably have value to some. However, people call up the ESC menu to change characters, to exit the game, or to change options (sometimes twice in a row, as I have to do when I'm when hit with the high-speed-turn camera bug). In none of these scenarios is advertising for content or sales remotely helpful or appreciated. I could live with the popup on every login, if they'd just get it OFF the ESC menu, as that is seen at least as often (and frequently MORE often), and specifically at times when it is not just useless, but a hindrance.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Have thoughts on the new Landing Page? Leave them here, and thanks!

There's no need for it. And it's annoying. Just get rid of it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    The constant stream of posts from people insisting that there is no news announcements, despite the actual facts being opposite of that, says that many STO players do not in fact know where to find the news. On top of that, the fact that Neverwinter has had this same landing screen for years now says that it is useful to some & its not going anywhere.

You're putting the cart behind the horse. Instead of introducing a new landing screen, and having the launcher continually talk about this or that Zen sale that has long since ended, how's about they just FIX the launcher news!?
    3lsZz0w.jpg