test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you think they should add Playable Orions for Tos Federation?

thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
As seen in Star Trek and Startrek Beyond in the Kelvin timeline or Jjtrek. They have Orions in starfleet. So I think it would make since for them to add them to the Tos Faction. Plus it would fit in my mind. Would you like to see this addition to the playable races section in the Tos Alternate Federation start?

Do you think they should add Playable Orions for Tos Federation? 85 votes

Yes Please!
27%
daggermoonmisterperseusgaraks31bloodyrizseaofsorrowspwstolemynamepeterconnorfirstjunglestreakersparhawkfiresbhlordgyorcaptainbrian11thevampinatorward101#8752mneme0gamin42minidaricasualstodaimonion13#5412sixela78#6094 23 votes
Umm No.
58%
reiklingraiderdearghargilduncanidaho11psychoplattcorethlbaddmoonrizinrandom909dmtzarato4218dirlettiaeldarion79arabaturwarmaker001bneos472arliekkossinn74crashdragonneoakiraiimarkhawkmansekishinfist 50 votes
Other
14%
kodachikunojbmonroepatrickngogradiinimbullthay8472relicthieftyler002jamieblanchardruinthefunavoozuulkronin#4685 12 votes

Comments

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Other
    Personally I wouldn't mind having the Gorn on the Federation.
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Other
    As seen in Enterprise, the main timeline Orions are sketchy to say the least. We haven't seen the modern-day Kelvin timeline, and it may turn out that the Orions aren't a favored trading partner with that version of the Federation all these years later. Their self-interest doesn't jibe well with expressed Federation principles.
    boldly-watched.png
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Umm No.
    What do you offer in exchange, for taking Orions from the KDF? Andorians, along with their Kumari line? This is a poll that may be better well received, if you are willing to offer something as a fair trade. Otherwise, it comes across sounding biased, greedy, selfish, or like an attempt to bleed more players away from the KDF. I'm not here to fight, but I'll ask questions. Consider this: The KDF used to have things unique to it. Plasmonic Leech, Bioneural Warhead, Subspace Jumper, carriers, battlecruisers that mounted cannons, to name a few. Little by little, Cryptic carved away pieces from one faction, and gave it to another, while continuing to neglect and show disdain, to the beleaguered faction, throwing them a bone on occasion, with the cross faction copy/paste bundles.

Let's say you get your wish, and Cryptic handed you the Orion race. Just the race, with nothing else, save for the seduction trait. No costume specific bits, no ships. What then? People will complain, and ask for the costume parts, and the ships, because Orion stuff, right?

What would you offer the KDF, that could be considered a fair trade, and not a poisoned gag gift?

Rather than a TOS faction boost, why not come up with something that reaches both sides? A Grand/Galactic Alliance racial exchange program? In attempt to build goodwill between the big red and big blue sides? We can give you Orions and their ships(trait, base race, and ships in the same bundle), in exchange for your Andorians and the Kumari line. This way, red and blue both get something, and can show a story progression of the Alliance strengthening.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Umm No.
    The Kelvin timeline is not TOS. Even having andorians and tellarites in the TOS origin is suspect, we barely ever saw them in TOS. TOS Starfleet was almost all human with token vulcans here and there. Even Spock was half human.

They should definitely have them in modern Starfleet, though. KDF whiners can take note Feddies already have klingons, the one race the Empire actually call their own rather than allies or mercenaries. I don't see any logical reason why some orion couldn't want to join Starfleet and no reason Starfleet wouldn't take them either.

On the other hand, one has to question why anyone would want a real orion instead of a much more versatile custom alien that can be an orion and hundreds other races, too? Besides the obvious racial discriminated clothing, of course.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Yes Please!
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    What do you offer in exchange, for taking Orions from the KDF? Andorians, along with their Kumari line? This is a poll that may be better well received, if you are willing to offer something as a fair trade. Otherwise, it comes across sounding biased, greedy, selfish, or like an attempt to bleed more players away from the KDF. I'm not here to fight, but I'll ask questions. Consider this: The KDF used to have things unique to it. Plasmonic Leech, Bioneural Warhead, Subspace Jumper, carriers, battlecruisers that mounted cannons, to name a few. Little by little, Cryptic carved away pieces from one faction, and gave it to another, while continuing to neglect and show disdain, to the beleaguered faction, throwing them a bone on occasion, with the cross faction copy/paste bundles.

Let's say you get your wish, and Cryptic handed you the Orion race. Just the race, with nothing else, save for the seduction trait. No costume specific bits, no ships. What then? People will complain, and ask for the costume parts, and the ships, because Orion stuff, right?

What would you offer the KDF, that could be considered a fair trade, and not a poisoned gag gift?

Rather than a TOS faction boost, why not come up with something that reaches both sides? A Grand/Galactic Alliance racial exchange program? In attempt to build goodwill between the big red and big blue sides? We can give you Orions and their ships(trait, base race, and ships in the same bundle), in exchange for your Andorians and the Kumari line. This way, red and blue both get something, and can show a story progression of the Alliance strengthening.

Well there is that changeling race from the Star Trek the Undiscovered Country that would make a great addition. I do agree with you they need to do more with Kdf and stop mistreating it. Dominon, Romulan republic, and Tos Federation really do lack racial options that should have been included with them as time went on. There is plenty they could do with Kdf and should do as well. They could add Andorians to Kdf as they are a warrior race. They can add other warrior races to the faction as well. Maybe even Terrans if they got creative they could add mirror humans as an option. Also they could add the Breen as another option. They need to add females to several of the races in kdf.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Other
    I'd prefer no faction restrictions at all, to be honest.

Except for certain ones being free for a specific faction and C-Store unlocked for the others. Ones that would be rarely found outside their native factions or aren't usually military-material, for example.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
    Yes Please!
    tyler002 wrote: »

Except for certain ones being free for a specific faction and C-Store unlocked for the others. Ones that would be rarely found outside their native factions or aren't usually military-material, for example.

I agree with you but I doubt they would ever add something like this to the game. One can only hope one day one day they would do that.
    Yes Please!
    warpangel wrote: »
    The Kelvin timeline is not TOS. Even having andorians and tellarites in the TOS origin is suspect, we barely ever saw them in TOS. TOS Starfleet was almost all human with token vulcans here and there. Even Spock was half human.

They should definitely have them in modern Starfleet, though. KDF whiners can take note Feddies already have klingons, the one race the Empire actually call their own rather than allies or mercenaries. I don't see any logical reason why some orion couldn't want to join Starfleet and no reason Starfleet wouldn't take them either.

On the other hand, one has to question why anyone would want a real orion instead of a much more versatile custom alien that can be an orion and hundreds other races, too? Besides the obvious racial discriminated clothing, of course.

Well despite the changes to the timeline and the destruction of vulcan and the aggressive exploration and technological advancement done because of Neros arrival. They are the same but the kelvin timeline can really explore and show how starfleet really is like without the restrictions tos had. Remember when tos was being made they had such a limited budget and they could not do the things they can do with aliens today in tv shows they could not make klingons look Klingon. Which is why it appeared there was not many aliens but humans. When in fact it was the other way around like it is in the Kelvin timeline. Yes starfleet has a lot of humans but they have a lot of aliens. There is possibly hundreds of different species/races all in the united federation of planets. The Federation has always been about a Multicultural society and what humans can do with their goodness and not the selfish nature of themselves being able to coexist with thousands of other races.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Umm No.
    tyler002 wrote: »

I agree no faction restrictions are always better. In so far as we don't actually have real factions, but a tight Alliance separated only by game mechanics left in because removing them would cost too much.

But origin story restrictions do make sense. You can't logically have, for example, a borg come from TOS Starfleet, because there were no borg around to join Starfleet in the 23rd century. You can't have a human start in the Dominion origin because the Dominion does not employ humans. Etc, etc.

Modern Starfleet probably could have virtually any race. Starfleet doesn't discriminate. The romulan origin could plausibly be almost any race, too (you start as a civilian on Virinat). KDF could be more likely to discriminate. Though you can get almost anything with custom aliens anyway, so obviously they don't discriminate that much.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Yes Please!
    I was hoping for an 23c Starfleet Orion race unlock as exclusive for lifetime members with AoY.

Sadly it did not happen but yea, I think they belong there.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Other
    I'd rather see them in both factions as well as a full KDF TOS faction. They need their TOS ships and bridges as well.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Other
    Why not unlock X race on the other side once Y toon of X race reaches max level?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Other
    Playable orions for 25th century federation, and Gorn would be cool. We can have fed klingons but not gorn? why? becuase worf? hahahahhaa. but that's not LOGIC that's precedent.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Umm No.
    You can stuff this idea. Orions are about the only race most play KDF side. That's mainly for the skimpy racial outfits. And you cannot have those. The feds have already stole plasmonic leach in this manner.

Over all though, the Orions do not work with the Federation. Orions assume another persons culture when dealing with them. Then go right back to being an Orion afterwards. They care not for the Federations culture, i.e. it's not the Orion culture. Most Federation species are affected by the Orion Pheromone, they'd take over in a few days.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    Umm No.
    If you really want to head-canon an Orion in Starfleet (as I have done), it's easy enough to Alien-gen and choose approximate traits. You don't get the Frankenstein bits for boys and skimpy outfits for girls, but green is easy enough to manage. Give them strong mental traits and maybe a TK (and say it's "pheromones").
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Umm No.
    gradii wrote: »
    Playable orions for 25th century federation, and Gorn would be cool. We can have fed klingons but not gorn? why? becuase worf? hahahahhaa. but that's not LOGIC that's precedent.

At least 3 Klingons in Starfleet vs 0 Orions...
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Umm No.
    Ummmm, No. If you want a Federation Orion equivalent, though, let's add the Deltans.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Umm No.
    Can we PLEASE stop trying to loot the KDF for their unique stuff already?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    Umm No.
    Ummmm, No. If you want a Federation Orion equivalent, though, let's add the Deltans.

Right. Forgot about these, even though I believe we have a few Deltan doffs. Also there's the Risian way, with the doffs. Traits for them already preset even.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Other
    starswordc wrote: »
    Can we PLEASE stop trying to loot the KDF for their unique stuff already?

Don't you hate klingons anyway?

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @lianthelia said:
    > gradii wrote: »
    >
    > Playable orions for 25th century federation, and Gorn would be cool. We can have fed klingons but not gorn? why? becuase worf? hahahahhaa. but that's not LOGIC that's precedent.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > At least 3 Klingons in Starfleet vs 0 Orions...

There are more than 3 Orions in Starfleet in the first Kelvin Timeline film.
    and in that timeline the fed have expanded beyond what they did in the original hence why they find kharn before the enterprise does.
    but in the original that didn't happen and we saw zero orions.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    TOS Timeline =/= Kelvin Timeline. In TOS, the Orions were an extragovernmental organization, not part of either the Federation or the Empire - criminals and terrorists, by the standards of both governments.

There are no Orions in TOS Starfleet, for the same reason there are no Gorn aboard 23c Klingon ships, and no "exchange programs" between 23c Starfleet and KDF.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Umm No.
    > @nickcastleton said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > > @lianthelia said:
    > > gradii wrote: »
    > >
    > > Playable orions for 25th century federation, and Gorn would be cool. We can have fed klingons but not gorn? why? becuase worf? hahahahhaa. but that's not LOGIC that's precedent.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > At least 3 Klingons in Starfleet vs 0 Orions...
    >
    > There are more than 3 Orions in Starfleet in the first Kelvin Timeline film.
    >
    >
    >
    > and in that timeline the fed have expanded beyond what they did in the original hence why they find kharn before the enterprise does.
    > but in the original that didn't happen and we saw zero orions.

So when season 2 of Discovery hits and we see an Orion walking around on the Enterprise what are you going to say then? That aside, I say let Feds have Orions (there are also multiple Fed Orions in various novels), also let KDF have Humans, RR can have Vulcans, 500 zen each.

Alien Gen. You can be whatever race, in whatever faction you choose, for free. Why bother with the c-store races at all?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Umm No.

So when season 2 of Discovery hits and we see an Orion walking around on the Enterprise what are you going to say then?

I can tell you what ~50% of people here would say.