What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Feedback Requested: Arc Download and STO Install via Arc

12346»

Comments

• kungfuchevykungfuchevy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hi Captains,

Feel free to post feedback about your Arc download and STO install experiences here -- the Arc team will be watching this thread closely and looks forward to reading the feedback!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

it took 36 hours for sto to patch after i installed arc, but it was worth it once i was able to start playing. however after this mornings maintenance, i have to patch 5k+ mega bytes again, and have not been able to play all day. very frustrating to say the least!!!! and now there is going to be another maintenance tomorrow so we will see? (and i still have not been able to play today) so if i have to repatch every time ther is maintenance or on a weekly basis i will no longer continue to play and will remove arc from my system. but STO is a really awesome game, so it will be very sad if i have to stop playing because of a crappy server.
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have a relative staying with me for a few weeks, he also plays STO and wants to log in to Arc. However I can't seem to find any way of logging out of the Arc client, so that he can log in.

Am I missing something.

I figure that I can probably launch Arc, launch STO and log-out of STO, then he should be able to log in, but I figure that there must be a way to log out of the client and allow him to log in.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mynamesthedoctormynamesthedoctor Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have been running Arc, though I was cautious at first due to all the negative feedback I've seen. I installed it on Linux via Wine initially and then once I felt it was safe, I installed it on Windows.

In my own experience, I've had no major issues, no PC slowdown, no strange behavior or anything concerning from Arc.

My feedback is basically this.

-It loads fast and seems pretty light on system resources. Arc is using about 75 MB of RAM on my system. Steam is using about 98 MB of RAM, but I also saw it spike at over 110 MB of RAM. In comparing the two, Arc definitely logs in and loads faster. Steam has far more games available since it includes non first-party titles and has been around a lot longer.

-Arc does seem like another "me too" game launcher (like Steam, Origin, etc.) If you want people to use it in greater numbers, you may need to consider including 3rd party games on it eventually.

-Arc has actually been more reliable for me than Steam concerning friends chat not going down. That seems to be an ongoing problem on Steam.

-I'd like Arc to support offline chat messages, emoticons, and allow custom display nicknames.

-I know it seems a long shot at present, but I would like to someday see official support for Linux (this also goes for PWE/Cryptic games). Steam runs natively on Linux now as do almost all of Valve's games. If they can do it, I would hope PWE/Cryptic is capable of pulling it off too.
  • rarebear1rarebear1 Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have been running Arc, though I was cautious at first due to all the negative feedback I've seen. I installed it on Linux via Wine initially and then once I felt it was safe, I installed it on Windows.

In my own experience, I've had no major issues, no PC slowdown, no strange behavior or anything concerning from Arc.

My feedback is basically this.

-It loads fast and seems pretty light on system resources. Arc is using about 75 MB of RAM on my system. Steam is using about 98 MB of RAM, but I also saw it spike at over 110 MB of RAM. In comparing the two, Arc definitely logs in and loads faster. Steam has far more games available since it includes non first-party titles and has been around a lot longer.

-Arc does seem like another "me too" game launcher (like Steam, Origin, etc.) If you want people to use it in greater numbers, you may need to consider including 3rd party games on it eventually.

-Arc has actually been more reliable for me than Steam concerning friends chat not going down. That seems to be an ongoing problem on Steam.

-I'd like Arc to support offline chat messages, emoticons, and allow custom display nicknames.

-I know it seems a long shot at present, but I would like to someday see official support for Linux (this also goes for PWE/Cryptic games). Steam runs natively on Linux now as do almost all of Valve's games. If they can do it, I would hope PWE/Cryptic is capable of pulling it off too.
    Its meh but most likely very helpful when you have more than one PWE game.
    Proud Trekkie Favorite episode from TOS is The Doomsday Machine TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise VOY: Endgame part 1 and 2 DS9: Emissary ENT: Assmilation
  • mechguy85mechguy85 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Please tell me that the average update/patch size isn't going to be 8 GB every time there's a new one, or I won't bother playing. Even JD isn't this bad on initial install.
  • danielarjona78danielarjona78 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hello everyone, i need help because i can't enter in the gateway for character select, it shows error:
    Loading your command console, please wait....
    And after that it shows that:
    YOU HAVE ENCOUNTERED AN ERROR
    TIMEOUT GETTING CHARACTER LIST
    Request timed out while waiting for your list of characters. You can retry by clicking the link below.
    Click here to go to Character Select
    Why?, i can't play!!!
    aralleida_228x144.jpg
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hello, this may be minor but when I purchase Zen I get this message.

Unfortunately there was an error with your payment and we did not receive the transaction information from our payment partner. Your account may not have been credited for this payment.
    Please check your transaction history to verify your purchase.
    If your transaction does not appear, please submit a ticket at the Support Center:

Now I get my zen but this always pops up. I tried to give a report to Arc but it directed me to

techsupport.perfectworld.com which keeps erroring out.

Not major to me as I get what I pay for but you should be aware. Thanks.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • cristonic2cristonic2 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    as far as Arc goes, if it is in the background at all, I have terrible lag, as far as the game goes, you are truelly playing with fire where the servers are concerned. I have been DCd seven times in 10 minutes. This is deadlly when you are talking about anything Online. I have already reactivated anpother game seeing as I can't stay logged in long enough to even complete a mission on Nimbus.
    I would say that it won't be long untill you see a decline in players due to fustration. I am personally there myself as this is not a once in a while issue, but now a costant issue and if not corrected soon, will greatlly effect your player base. :(
  • beguzzles#5517 beguzzles Member Posts: 1 New User
    Are the developers still watching this thread?

This software is the most incompetently written software as far as downloading is concerned, that I encountered in the 30 years I been using computers. I am on a 1 mbit internet connection, which is fast enough to play a MMO game. However, you do NOT allow me to download the game with PAUSES and RESUMES (emphasis on the words pauses and resumes). In the Arc software itself, it lets you pause the download, but it only downloads like 1% of the actual game. Then you only given one option after that, which is to launch the game, and download a patch that is 12 gigabytes for crying out loud. On my connection speed it will take 30 hours to download, and I usually get disconnected once every 24 hours on my internet. And I tested your incompetently programmed code, and if you disconnect in the middle of the download it restarts from the beginning. This is just so ridiculous that it is not even funny. I can't believe the developers were so incompetent as to not allow pausing and resuming, or better yet have the software store whatever is downloaded and continue where it left off automatically. But most important, whatever you do to fix this (assuming you even bother - maybe you don't care about millions of customers on slower broadband not being able to play your game - what is a few million paying customers that incompetently written code prevents playing the game to you?) Whatever you do to fix the code, have it tested that it works if someone disconnects and reconnects (their IP address changes) in the middle of the download. When a download has to last 30 hours, then you have to write code that allows for pausing, resuming, and disconnects in the middle of the download. Don't just TRIBBLE over everyone who has slower broadband, there are a lot of us in the world.
  • judge479judge479 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Didn't read to see if anyone else mentioned this, but a "pause" option during the initial download of the game would have been welcomed. The initial download now sits at 12GB. This is going to take hours upon hours for me to download. Unfortunately there is no faster internet options where I live currently so everyone else in my household will be without internet for the next several hours while STO eats up all the bandwidth.
  • satto1satto1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I had a lot of trouble getting it installed from Australia. The error I was getting was 403 forbidden when the installer would try to get the Arc client files.

I submitted a ticket and was told 'its probably due to latency', i.e. the support agent didn't bother to read the log i provided. anyway the only to install the Arc client from Australia is to connect to an american VPN or a service that hides your IP so it looks like you have an American IP and then run the installer. as soon as I did that the install worked.

Edit: Also I got STO through steam, so I was a bit annoyed at having to install the Arc client just so that I can activate some DLC I made the mistake of buying.
  • ddragon125#1129 ddragon125 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I just downloaded this game on my Xbox one and have gotten kind of addicted to it. I am not much of a treky and didnt really care for Star Trek but like the game play of this OS and the feel of it. I was thinking that this platform would work really well with a Star Wars theme as well. I used to play Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and STO has that same feel. I think that ARC should appeal to both Star trek and Stars Wars fans and come out with a Star Wars Version of STO. I know would play both games and would probably pay for the star wars version.
  • My biggest problem with the Arc Launcher is that I have not yet found where to quit completely on clicking the X button. I don't want to keep Arc running in the background/in the tray basically ever. Despite that, Arc/STO is still the second fastest launch process of all of the games that I usually play (Farming Simulator beat STO by a long shot).
  • badysak#8985 badysak Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Hello
    I have STO installed over steam. I wanted to activate the code according to the instructions. But steam uses an old client. https://imgur.com/a/eLHEXo7
    I installed a new ARC client from your site. Will you also be updating the client on steam? Now I have two STO clients on my PC. Pardon for google english
  • rupirilorupirilo Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Can the content on the Arc launcher be updated more often. Even though I only installed it recently, it has an advert for the T6 khitomer alliance ship. I would very much like the ship but I've only started playing again recently and wasnt around when it was available. Please stop taunting me!!!!
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,455 Arc User
    @darkbladejk @wingedhussar Holy necro, Batman!
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.