test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Idea for how to add Vorta & Changelings to a Dominion Faction

I agree with adding playable Vorta *and also* Changelings. Here's how I could see it being done:

1) Rename the faction (or semi-faction or Dragon Age-like Origin) the Dominion Faction.

2) Both Vorta and Changelings are locked out as an option until a Jem'Hadar character on the account has completed the J'H only mission and chosen a faction.

3) Upon choosing a Vorta or Changeling, the character gets a cutscene similar to when 25th Century characters first meet Daniels. In the cutscene, the Vorta is speaking with Lorris (because getting her voice actress back is probably the easiest, though Odo's or Weyoun would be great, if possible). She (or he) says something like "The Founders are wise to experiment again with fully-combat capable Vorta. I will be curious to see how well you do in your new assignment." For a Changeling, she says, "Founder, you honor the Vorta and Jem'Hadar who serve under you. We are grateful you wish to lead us from the frontline." Then, cutscene over, you are a level 60 Vorta or Changeling on DS9 with a ship and a full crew compliment, ready to start the first all-factions mission. Such characters don't play the Jem'Hadar only mission, because that truly does only make sense with Jem'Hadar. But they get to be part of the same faction/origin. They get to use Dominion symbols and go to any Dominion-only social zones.

4) Jm'Hadar should have Eris' telekinetic attack. There is a telekinetic attack for aliens, so at most, all that would be needed would be a graphics change. But even not changing graphics would be acceptable, at least to me.

5) Changelings might take significant work to adapt an enemy's abilities to a player's. I can see that. Paying for them might be an option. I expect many people would take that deal at the right price.

There may be additional expenses for new dialogue in some missions and social zones. I can see that. I do think it would be worth investigating the matter and adding them, even if after VIL's launch.

Comments

• haurianthauriant Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    Oh, and between the cutscene and appearing on DS9, ready to play, the Vorta or Changeling makes the same faction choice as Jem'Hadar.
  • andreasn2andreasn2 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    Lol, changelings won't ever happen, so do not expect t hat, vortas, Perhaps, but i highly doubt that as well
  • haurianthauriant Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    Changeling are less likely. But I see no harm in asking and suggesting a way to make it more practical.
  • wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Heck no to Changelings. We shouldn't be allowed to play the enigmatic "gods" of the Dominion. In addition, balancing them for ground play would be a nightmare, given how tough they're supposed to be.

Vorta, however, I would support, as long as they don't overshadow the Jem'Hadar in ground combat.
    Post edited by wbaker256#3172 on
    @MGoblin256

"[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    Yes, we need a playable Vorta. The Species trait should have bonus to kits (and stackable with creative trait) as well as toxin resistance(similar to other species such as Saurians). And yes, the telekinetic selectable trait should be a option usable by Vorta.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Letheans have "Rapture" trait.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Rapture
    It deals 15 psionic damage (what ever that is) with 40% chance to stun.

One of the ONLY MALE characters I have is Lethean...because using "Rapture" IS FUN AS HECK!

Eris, the Vorta from the episode "The Jem'Hadar", had telekenetic powers (make objects outside the body move by using the mind) and she could create fire balls to throw between her hands. This would definitely have to have "Knockback" to it. You should have seen Sisko fly on his butt when she hit him with one. LOL!

I think that would be different enough from "Rapture" to be an interesting species trait to use on a new race for the Dominion Faction.

And no Changelings??? What do you mean no Changelings???
    And come on....really? No one else wants to TRIBBLE slap someone with a jello arm???

I know where I would go with that Changeling character when the Faction specific missions opened up:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Manhunt

Oh yes, Franklin Drake...take what's coming to you. LOL!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    edited May 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Eris, the Vorta from the episode "The Jem'Hadar", had telekenetic powers (make objects outside the body move by using the mind) and she could create fire balls to throw between her hands. This would definitely have to have "Knockback" to it. You should have seen Sisko fly on his butt when she hit him with one. LOL!

Sooooo, the basic Telekinesis trait we already have ingame?

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Telekinetic
    @MGoblin256

edited May 2018
    mgoblin2 wrote: »
    where2r1 wrote: »

Sooooo, the basic Telekinesis trait we already have ingame?

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Telekinetic

Wait a min... Letheans have this??? I don't have this on my Lethean. :::pouting::::

I am not sure what the Telekinetic trait visuals are....
    or if it is a blue ball of fire that knockback.

ADD: I just thought of something.... I wonder if I have to level him up before I get that trait.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Just a point of note, on the character creation screen literally shows the name Dominion when you go to create a Jem'hadar character.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    edited May 2018
    > @where2r1 said:
    > mgoblin2 wrote: »
    >
    > where2r1 wrote: »
    >
    > Eris, the Vorta from the episode "The Jem'Hadar", had telekenetic powers (make objects outside the body move by using the mind) and she could create fire balls to throw between her hands. This would definitely have to have "Knockback" to it. You should have seen Sisko fly on his butt when she hit him with one. LOL!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Sooooo, the basic Telekinesis trait we already have ingame?
    >
    > https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Telekinetic
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Wait a min... Letheans have this??? I don't have this on my Lethean. :::pouting::::
    >
    > I am not sure what the Telekinetic trait visuals are....
    > or if it is a blue ball of fire that knockback.
    >
    > ADD: I just thought of something.... I wonder if I have to level him up before I get that trait.

It’s a clear burst of force, if I recall. Telekinetic is available to Letheans, Remans, and Aliens. It’s a normal ground trait.
    @MGoblin256

edited May 2018
    It’s a clear burst of force, if I recall. Telekinetic is available to Letheans, Remans, and Aliens. It’s a normal ground trait.

I think my Lethean is still Level 3, right now. Not even sure if there are traits?
    Which I have not even bothered looking at, yet. So, he has whatever is default.

And Telekinetic is NOT one of the defaults. LOL!

NEVER MIND... I see this IS in the TRIBBLE part of the Forums.

I will avoid all Tribble Discussions from here on out.

• thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Heck no to Changelings. We shouldn't be allowed to play the enigmatic "gods" of the Dominion. In addition, balancing them for ground play would be a nightmare, given how tough they're supposed to be.

Vorta, however, I would support, as long as they don't overshadow the Jem'Hadar in ground combat.

Well they might have to make a new mechanics for liquefying and they can maybe add in a ability to turn to liquid shape and move around faster that way. Or make it cosmetic maybe give them the tentacle wipe attack seen. It would be no different from the Reman mind drain attack and they can keep it balanced because I'm sure there is far more op species and op species traits then the Changelings have, Gamewise that is. Its possible the Vanguard Jems would be op though. If its true they have traits similar to Romulans SRO. They will sell well from the zen store. Point is that argument does not hold much wait as they can easily keep Changelings balanced.

Also the changelings are not gods. They might have power if they are all linked together to turn a changeling into a mortal. But separated they would not have such power. All they would have is to take on different appearances which can be done with alien generator they could even unlock and allow switching genders by means of shifting with changeling race. Give them the tentacle attack with a one minute cooldown and the ability turn into liquid at will making it a move around like the ooze form in champions online and be done with it. Maybe a liquid short animation as you change outfits. They can add changelings into the game without making them a op race. They already have unbalanced op race bridge officers and the Jem Hadar Vanguard might be an op playable op character by dps and space trait maybe in the hopes of getting people to buy them.
    edited May 2018
    To avoid the Edit Monster. There is one other thing, Ground combat is not a main focus of the game. As space combat is the main focus and it seems dps is where its at. It would not matter unless for stfs. Even then they can give them resistances to certain types of damage and weakness to certain types of damage. I still think even as a changeling they would die like any other race if you are not equipped with good ground gear and shielding. So worrying that they would be op on the ground well the way the game works that would not really matter. Its possible even the Jem Hadar might be more op because of their racial traits and racial shrouds.

Heres the stats they could give changelings and Vorta

Changelings 10% resistance to physical damage and 50% resistant to disrupter damage, immunity to Psonic damage immunity lack of air damage. (Aka Allowing them to mine without a space suit) 25% weakness to Tetryon
    damage. Thats all they would need to do there.

Vortas-Because of poor eyesight, -15 or -25 percent accuracy on the ground with all weapon attacks. Making up for this giving them telepathic abilties which would have no effect on the changelings 15% or 25% resistance to flanking damage. As them not being fighters, given how bad it is because of the Hurq the Dominion needs all its personal that can help fight. (even if they are not fighters before hand) it can get. So even if they were not fighters before hand they can be fighters now.

Post edited by thevampinator on
    edited May 2018
    To avoid the Edit Monster. There is one other thing, Ground combat is not a main focus of the game. As space combat is the main focus and it seems dps is where its at. It would not matter unless for stfs. Even then they can give them resistances to certain types of damage and weakness to certain types of damage. I still think even as a changeling they would die like any other race if you are not equipped with good ground gear and shielding. So worrying that they would be op on the ground well the way the game works that would not really matter. Its possible even the Jem Hadar might be more op because of their racial traits and racial shrouds.

Heres the stats they could give changelings and Vorta

Changelings 10% resistance to physical damage and 50% resistant to disrupter damage, immunity to Psonic damage immunity lack of air damage. (Aka Allowing them to mine without a space suit) 25% weakness to Tetryon
    damage. Thats all they would need to do there.

Vortas-Because of poor eyesight, -15 or -25 percent accuracy on the ground with all weapon attacks. Making up for this giving them telepathic abilties which would have no effect on the changelings 15% or 25% resistance to flanking damage. As them not being fighters, given how bad it is because of the Hurq the Dominion needs all its personal that can help fight. (even if they are not fighters before hand) it can get. So even if they were not fighters before hand they can be fighters now.

My own personal idea for Vorta

Passive Ground Traits:
    * Bad Eyes: -15% Accuracy & Passive Perception
    * Comes In Handy As A Diplomat: 90% Resistance to Poison, 45% Resistance to Radiation

Special Pickable Ground Traits:
    * Telekinetic
    * Telepathic
    * Teamwork

Missing Ground Traits:
    * Soldier

Passive Space Traits:
    * Commanders of the Dominion: +5% Accuracy and Damage for all allies within 15 KM, 10% for Jem'Hadar and Vorta players.
    * Dominion Efficiency: 5% Reduced Cooldown on Bridge Officer Abilities

Misc. Traits
    * +5% Diplomatic Commendation XP gained from Duty Officer/Admiralty Missions

@MGoblin256

• eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2018
    My telekinetic abilities would surely suit the Vanguard Jham'Hadar. :) Thanks for suggesting these points and mentioning me. :)

PS: The Klinguns had so many other species to choose from: Gorn, Meowsicaan, Lethean, Orion, Furrasan, etc. so the Dominion could have species like the Dosi, Wadi, Son'a, Breen, Cardassians obviously as well ... there would have been so much potential. :(
    Post edited by eristhevorta on
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
    Found a video showing a changeling in game by the looks of it they already have it completed mostly, they might even be able to add them into the game as a playable race someday.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDo2c6ztZdg
  • mike03ucmike03uc Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    I see a lot of problems with playable Vorta. True, Eris possessed telekinetic abilities, but it's odd that no other Vorta ever displayed those abilities. More than once it might have come in handy (might have saved Keevan from being shot by Quark's cousin). As the entire episode with Eris was an elaborate show for Sisko's benefit, it's possible that she was the only Vorta with that ability, given the ability for that specific purpose.

Overall, the Vorta were always depicted as very "hands-off" leaders. They seemed to serve solely as functionaries; the designated go-between of the Founders and the Jem'Hadar. No Vorta on DS9 ever showed any combat skill. Indeed, most appeared somewhat cowardly. It would be a stretch to see them in active combat, leading a squad of Jem'Hadar from the front.
    e0M7OhA.png
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    Several times Vorta were seen leading missions but they NEVER entered active combat except as part of a ships crew compliment. The only time one came close was when Sisko and crew crash landed on a planet after blowing up the Ketracell white facility. Even then the Vorta only walked into Sisko's camp to tell him a Jem'Hadar attack was coming as his troops had run out of Ketracell White and he wanted them to die in combat rather than from withdrawal.
    Uh, you can make a Vorta captain as Alien Gen already if you want. It is already in the Tailor.

So, this is not an argument about "if it fits with what we saw on Star Trek".

The argument is about why this option, already available to players as an "Alien Gen" in all the other factions (Federation, Klingon, Romulan)....was not included in the one faction that actually should have it available.

And aren't all the parts for Cardassians are in the Alien Gen, too???

But they took the time to add Cardassians as playable races to Federation and Klingon. But not Vorta to Dominion Faction.

I am not sure if Romulans get it, though.

• eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    You can't use AlienGen for a Dominion captain, that's what people wanted. Then you could create a custom Vorta like you could for one of the major factions as well.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010