test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do people feel that the Romulan Republic should be a real faction and not a sub faction?

I have always felt like the Republic is missing something that the other two factions aren't I think they should get more in the game, maybe a Roluman Fleet, or at least their own DOFF colonists? Maybe on DOFF missions FED or KDF could be replaced by RR at least? I just wish the RR felt like less of an after thought.

Answers

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    It would be nice to have if STO had the player base and funding of WoW.

DOFFing is not getting much attention these days, the last thing they did to it was the band-aid refreshing of the list to fix the bug of many missions (science, exploration) not appearing at all, or was it fixing the bug of Romulan recruitment never appearing? Either way, 2 bug fixes in 3-4 years, with no new missions.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    It's like 2013 all over again.

OP, I firmly believed that the Romulans should have been a fully independent group but that ship sailed long ago already. That battle was lost when Legacy of Romulus occurred.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    No, all the factions should be origin stories.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    For all intents and purposes the Romulans ARE an independant faction. Its the game itself that is designed around the Red vs Blue in terms of factions that pushes Romulans into allying with Feds or KDF.

Also with how many fleets are already established... how many people are gonna want to level an independant Romulan Starbase to T5, on top of ALL the other holdings? Romulan fleets wouldn't be able to compete with established Fed or KDF.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • theron1992theron1992 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Yeah, I know it is a lost cause at this point. I guess I just dont see why they can't spend time expanding exisiting content instead of coming up with more new missions. Don't get me wrong, the new stuff is great I just wish the game was a little deeper sometimes I guess.
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    It is a little disheartening that the Romulan Republic has been on Mol'Rihan for all these years and they're still mostly living in tents. There should be a Foundry mission in which we try and fail multiple times to deliver the replicator patterns for kitchen appliances and chairs. ;)
    boldly-watched.png
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Yes it should have been. But for that the entire game model had to be different, like a DAOC-esque RvR game.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    We all end up in the Alliance anyway. Frankly, while I understand a game like this needs PVP battles, the whole Klingon/Federation war that starts the game makes no real sense. The Klingons have fought a number of wars against the Federation, and they've won exactly 0 of them. Any other opponent would have wiped them out by now, but the do-gooders of Earth always spared them. One aspect I really liked about Deep Space 9 is that, with so many alien characters, we got to see how other races viewed Hu-mons and the Federation. One of my favorite moments was during the Klingon/Cardassian war, and Sisko was talking tough to Martok. Martok squirmed and said, "We have no desire to antagonize your people." That's when I realized that the Klingons (though they would never admit it) were AFRAID of Humans. And who wouldn't be?
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Yes the Romulans should have been a 3rd separate faction. However the games engine couldn't support 3 factions and the Development Team isn't big enough to churn out content for 3 factions with parity. They struggled with supporting the KDF hence why all missions these days are cross faction. TBH though does it really matter ?. Other than joining fleets where you are in KDF or Fed, Romulans do have their own social zone. So as long as you use that and Rom ships only its easy enough to feel separated from the other 2.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    theron1992 wrote: »
    Yeah, I know it is a lost cause at this point. I guess I just dont see why they can't spend time expanding exisiting content instead of coming up with more new missions. Don't get me wrong, the new stuff is great I just wish the game was a little deeper sometimes I guess.

For deep, go Foundry. Cryptic will always have to work within the limitations of making new content to help keep players interested in the game proper. In the Foundry community we can do whatevs. This includes deeper character stories, more focused series, much more variation in style and content, and [by happenstance] a full suite of Romulan patrols, dedicated to building a greater sense of growth and development of the Republic in the early part of their arc (search for "Building the Republic" in the main Foundry tab and in the review tab (have to opt in to see it, place for missions with ~5 or less plays. Couple BoR missions are still there.)

Many Romulan-centric missions have also been tagged with [ROM] in the title (search for that, including brackets.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @smooshy#7462 said:
    > We all end up in the Alliance anyway. Frankly, while I understand a game like this needs PVP battles, the whole Klingon/Federation war that starts the game makes no real sense. The Klingons have fought a number of wars against the Federation, and they've won exactly 0 of them. Any other opponent would have wiped them out by now, but the do-gooders of Earth always spared them. One aspect I really liked about Deep Space 9 is that, with so many alien characters, we got to see how other races viewed Hu-mons and the Federation. One of my favorite moments was during the Klingon/Cardassian war, and Sisko was talking tough to Martok. Martok squirmed and said, "We have no desire to antagonize your people." That's when I realized that the Klingons (though they would never admit it) were AFRAID of Humans. And who wouldn't be?

Some lessons must be relearned every generation.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Factions have become nothing more than origin stories for our characters. This also allows PWE to playable content which is faction agnostic, rather than giving the Romulans, the Federation and the Klingon Empire their own individual storylines. And you know, that is not really a bad thing. While it would be nice to have unique story progression for all factions, playable content trickles out so infrequently that it would take forever for all three civilizations to individually get the same amount.

I just wish that they could be as clockwork-efficient with content delivery as they are with Lock Boxes. But then, Lock Boxes are monetized, therefore they are prioritized. And they are prioritized so they are incentivized. Playable content, and pretty much everything else is a lesser consideration.

First off... Perfect World is not the developer of Star Trek Online. Cryptic is. PWE is just the distributor. Kinda like how Treyarch made the CoD Black Ops games while Activision was the company who distributed it. Or how Bioware did Mass Effect and EA distributed.

Second, Star Trek has always been Fed centric. They've done a pretty good job with what they've made so far, but you do have to consider the sheer amount of Fed material they have to work with as a base compared to Klingon, Romulan, Dominion...

Third... The Dev team is not as large as for an MMO like WoW. So naturally there is a trade off between quality and quantity. The quality of the missions has gone up over the years. While we haven't been getting Featured Episode Series like we used to years ago... I'll take what we get now over busywork like "Of Bajor" anyday.

As to the Lockbox thing... While lockboxes are a main source of income to keep the game running, that is not under the pervue of the team that makes the missions we play. They have actual departments that handle different things. Its not fair to Devs like Tacofangs, an enivronmental artist, to basically blame him for the latest lockbox when he's not even involved with it. Can we blaim him for the DS9 remodle? Most likely yes, as that falls within his department. But Taco has nothing to do with making the latest lockbox ship, kit module, or weapon. If it comes with a Bridge maybe. But not the ship.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    Addressing the OP's question: Yes, I wish the Romulans could've been an independent third Faction. I would've preferred to see the game setup as a 3 Faction game with the Federation, Klingon Empire, and Romulans. Over time, as I've come to understand it, the game's code doesn't really support that, though. I like the alliance mechanic that our Romulans use, but I'd rather have had that for other possible Factions like Cardassians, Ferengi, etc.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    We all end up in the Alliance anyway. Frankly, while I understand a game like this needs PVP battles, the whole Klingon/Federation war that starts the game makes no real sense. The Klingons have fought a number of wars against the Federation, and they've won exactly 0 of them. Any other opponent would have wiped them out by now, but the do-gooders of Earth always spared them. One aspect I really liked about Deep Space 9 is that, with so many alien characters, we got to see how other races viewed Hu-mons and the Federation. One of my favorite moments was during the Klingon/Cardassian war, and Sisko was talking tough to Martok. Martok squirmed and said, "We have no desire to antagonize your people." That's when I realized that the Klingons (though they would never admit it) were AFRAID of Humans. And who wouldn't be?

Well, they were on the verge of bringing down the Federation in the TRIBBLE lore and tech ret-con...the situation then was so dire even Sarek was on board with using genocide as a last roll of the dice....before that though, while they were a rival the TOS era Feds weren't in the least bit afraid of them, Kirk actually wanted to go to war with them over Organia, he and the other officers were completely fed-up with their constant provocations.

Star Trek was written by people wanting to hold up the Federation as an example of what the writers feel we should aspire to be, not what we (humans) actually are....for that reason the Federation 's response to aggression against it after TOS (which more or less supported the Cold War against the Russians in it's plotlines) is often not realistic. Even in STO KDF players have DOFF missions where they are attacking Federation border worlds, raiding shipping, kidnapping Fed citizens and sending them to Gulags or selling them into slavery, ect. In John Ford's "the Final Reflection", which is widely credited for the overhaul of Klingons from TNG forwards....they were using captured humans as live training aids to teach their kids to kill, and (IIRC) vivisecting humans to learn their biology. Personally, I don't think it would take much to trigger a war that would be fought with every bit of the mutual ferocity of the Eastern Front and PTO in WW2.....and it wouldn't be the Klingons that won it, either (that would probably be the Romulans, who would fall on the survivor, if weakened enough). Humans are far better at being Team players than the Klingons, it's the biggest advantage the Feds hold over them.

And given the interest in pre-spaceflight human literature displayed by senior Klingons, they are very aware of it, too. They'd love to bring down the Federation and subjugate the species that make it up, but they don't want to end up like the various large predatory animals of earth....mercilessly hunted to extinction, or...most humiliating of all....being put in the position to have to depend on the "bleeding hearts" to persuade the rest to not deliver the finishing blow and condemning them to a "Reservation" or something.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Would be nice but then there would be a need for a ton more content to be created to fill out missions they got merged in to Fed/KDF to level. I don't see it happening.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • paarethpaareth Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    Yes. With temporary alliances between underpopulated factions as and when needed.