test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

they need to be better at telling players how to unlock things

whistlerdavidwhistlerdavid Member Posts: 415 Arc User
i spent almost 100 dollars on zen to sell for dil to buy the phoenix boxs so i could get the breen carrier. after i finally got it i found out the pets Elite Plesh Brek Frigates that i wanted where only unlocked if i got a different breen ship. i do not know why they did not just tell us how to unlock them. i had to google it lol. to be honest i wonder why the fighters and the frigates where not unlocked at the same time . now i have to wait tell they bring the boxes back

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Well, a quick search on the news site would have also told you that. It's written in the stat blog of breen dreanought cruiser and the breen carrier.
    Aside from that it's also mentioned in the STO wiki (which has link on the index, two spaces right of "forum") on each site of the dreadnought, the carrier, the raider and the pet itself.
    There's a lot of places to look that up, especially before you spend a 100 bucks on a rng loot box.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Info on unlocks should really be provided in game in a more consistent manner.

Not everyone has access to the wiki while playing (console folk) and taking the player out the game to get fairly basic info is a faux pas for any game.
  • tomgonjinn23tomgonjinn23 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    Oh don't even get me started on frigate unlocks. I have had a JHDC for years and just recently got a JHAS to get the frigates for it. In my opinion its the stupidest decision that they have made in this game is to lock some frigates behind owning the ship.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    To be honest.. every MMO I have ever played has required at least as much if not more out of game research then STO.

I am not bashing on you OP, I am sorry it wasn't clear and that you didn't get what you wanted.. I'm just saying that it's not unusual for these types of games. It is written in the articles that seriousdave linked, but might not be clearly written anywhere actually in game.

In a perfect world (no pun intended) you could get full information on everything you would ever need right in game, but it just doesn't seem to work that way. It's not just a STO thing, it's an 'online game' thing.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    Fairly sure the t6 plesh doesn't mention that it does the hangar unlock under its details.

One of the simpler solutions would be for the fleet, ec & dil store listings show ALL the hangar pets and give the info on unlocking regardless of faction. Then have the locked ones down at the bottom end greyed out kind of how the xindi carrier pets are shown to characters that don't have the carrier.
    They are also not that helpful when it comes to event based unlocks that aren't simply listed in the events store but instead get buried in the dil store.

It'd be much more user friendly to have a simple check of "is this item gained via a limited time event?" and if the answer is yes then it gets placed into the event stores reclaim list.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    To be honest.. every MMO I have ever played has required at least as much if not more out of game research then STO.

I am not bashing on you OP, I am sorry it wasn't clear and that you didn't get what you wanted.. I'm just saying that it's not unusual for these types of games. It is written in the articles that seriousdave linked, but might not be clearly written anywhere actually in game.

In a perfect world (no pun intended) you could get full information on everything you would ever need right in game, but it just doesn't seem to work that way. It's not just a STO thing, it's an 'online game' thing.

This has been true for all of the online games I've played, and many of the single-player too. In a few cases it was deliberate, to sell you a licensed $35 strategy guide, but in most it's just that the in-game help lags badly behind the content.

I agree though that the frigate unlock system is, ahem, Cryptic.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The game doesn't even mention the existence of the Plesh frigates anywhere until you've unlocked them. The only way the OP could've known about the frigates is to have already looked them up somewhere before buying. Which would have included the unlock conditions.

Own fault for not paying attention.
  • anyajenkinsanyajenkins Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    coffee the finest organic suspension ever devised - Janeway
    Some would know that the unlock exists by seeing others using the ship with those pets and figuring it out from there
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited May 2018

This is definitely common in online games as well as offline games with large and/or complex systems of gear and loot management. It's not that simple to have everything spelled out directly in the game.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

This is definitely common in online games as well as offline games with large and/or complex systems of gear and loot management. It's not that simple to have everything spelled out directly in the game.
    And then there's that ancient and mysterious art of "figuring things out for yourself."

Modern games give too much spoilers.