test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Jem'Hadar: Tutorial or No Tutorial?

lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
I was reading the two news articles posted yesterday about VIL and noticed these contradictory statements:
At the end of their tutorial, Jem’Hadar will be presented with a choice of assisting the Federation or Klingon Empire.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10899073-play-as-a-jem'hadar-in-victory-is-life!

and
Turn the TIde is a Jem’Hadar only episode, required for all new Jem’Hadar characters to complete before joining a faction. It is designed for experienced players as you will start at level 60. Note: it is not a tutorial

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10899043-victory-is-life:-turn-the-tide

So.... What exactly is this mission then? Is it some tutorial or an actual normal storyline mission?

(Title changed to be less vague. - BMR)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    It's not a Tutorial, but it is a mission that must be undertaken before joining your chosen faction.

Edit: I recall reading somewhere on an article stating there is no Jem'Hadar Tutorial (in the traditional sense) and that new players were advised to play the FED/KDF/Republic Tutorial in order to grasp the controls and such. The initial Jem Hadar missions is as close as we're going to get to a Tutorial, just without all the click here, click there elements.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Semantics. Game mechanically it's a tutorial.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    warpangel wrote: »

Only if it introduces mechanics in a structured way (ex. hud, movement, interactions, combat). Otherwise it's just an intro mission, (as FPS's tend to have.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

Only if it introduces mechanics in a structured way. Otherwise it's just an intro mission, (as FPS's tend to have.)

Here's a handy way to split the difference:
    Stop to highlight interactions, WSAD, kit abilities, and the UI with on-screen prompts: Tutorial
    Hit the ground running, little to no explanations of game mechanics: Intro
    So it's a less annoying tutorial.
    So it's a less annoying tutorial.

Yup, just a first mission. The difficulty curve may be a touch on the light side (from typical examples) but if Cryptic's intent on designing this for experienced players (they say so) then it may not be structurally dissimilar from a normal STO end-game mission.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Surely they'll at least have to introduce the Ketracel mechanic that the Jem'Hadar use and explain whatever special function it serves.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    edited May 2018
    Surely they'll at least have to introduce the Ketracel mechanic that the Jem'Hadar use and explain whatever special function it serves.

True, as well as highlight any specialized mechanics used for the mission (ex. hiding in nebulas, rappelling if either of those comes up again.) I'm just a little iffy on whether they'll highlight standard UI elements and control mechanics (ex. press F to interact, open this equip your weapon, look here for skills, ect.) It sounds like they'll be skipping that.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    If it’s not a tutorial why can’t it be repeated?
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    It'll probably be a ToS style tutorial sequence of missions up to the turn the tide mission by which point the annoying popups that appear even after you disable them should have stopped.
    lopequil wrote: »
    Because calling a tutorial not-a-tutorial doesn't make it not a tutorial.

On the other hand, I never did get why we can't rerun tutorials anyway.
    lopequil wrote: »

Tradition? That or there's something buried deep in the game's back end that links the first mission to character creation (so if you repeat it you'll break your character.) Pure speculation though.

Would be a good question for Ten Forward.