test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So is there nay reason to not play a Romulan now?

Comments

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I often wonder why those who no longer play the game continue to troll the forum.
    I don't hate the game - I've never said that, and I never will. I played STO for a good number of years, ever since the F2P launch, I became a lifetime member, and it was only a year or two ago that I simply had enough; I'm not much of a grinder, and the power creep just became too much for my investment. That, and I'm not overly fond of many Cryptic decisions.

I do however keep up on what's going on, and visit these forums from time to time. I can't remember the number of times for example that I've asked for Cardassians, and I made a few (what I thought) were good posts on how they could be implemented as a micro faction, but instead we (or rather, you guys) get them as a species.

The Republic was yet another bad decision, at least I felt it was. They should have never been released as they were, and this recent decision just goes to show that Cryptic are making it easier on themselves where that faction is concerned moving forward.

As @starswordc has said, I don't hate the game, but I do think Cryptic could have done a lot better.

Edit: New Dawn (or just before) was when I bailed. It's just more of the same - there's nothing fresh to the game anymore, and as stated above, too grindy.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I often wonder why those who no longer play the game continue to troll the forum. :confused:

I would answer this with a great deal of honesty if i had a free hand but i doubt i'm on anyones christmas list to be given such a gift.

For my end: i come to these forums to try contribute in some fashion, i might not be able to do it on STO with any reliability but i can do it here. Occasionally i get in over my head but i try my best to keep within rules and contribute the best i can to each thread i'm interested in replying to.
    starswordc wrote: »
    nimbull wrote: »
    I often wonder why those who no longer play the game continue to troll the forum. :confused:

Some hope the game gets better maybe. Others just use it as an outlet to vent frustrations I'm guessing.

This. I keep seeing these "if you hate the game so much why are you still here?" non-arguments, and my answer to them is always the same: I don't hate the game but I think it could be a hell of a lot better if more thought was put into it.

i see this a lot as well, not that it has anything to do with the frustration some players have about Romulans and allied ships of course.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I will say, feedback pertaining to why one left the game is probably very, very useful. But at the same time, if you haven't played the game for several months, your opinion doesn't really matter to anyone but yourself (And even you should realize your opinion is outdated, and your perspective could use some refreshing)

Anyway, to bring us back to the topic at hand: There isn't a real reason not to play Romulans. With the change, they are now the only faction with exclusive content (Exaggeration, but they do have the only RELEVANT exclusive content). And for every person arguing "But what if you WANT to use a Federation character????" one can easily argue that some people may have otherwise played Federation, but now don't have to because there's NO POINT.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    While I'm now also very inclined to put all my feds on the backseat once this update hits they still have one very big reason to play them. FEDs are the best space barbies. Romulans may gain the upper hand on ships but their wardrobe is horrendously minuscule, especially if you're KDF aligned because that completely wrecks your color palettes and you're stuck with the 50 shades of sh*t that klingons have to endure. Srsly, this is why I never play my kdf-roms I made ages ago.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Ships aren't content. Ships are items that you play content WITH. All the factions have unique content: the missions before the Nimbus arc.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    tigeraries wrote: »
    [[...]
    hmmm I thought you couldnt unless they bugged that. Cause Tovan is built into the story.
    You cannot drop the Tovan candidate, bu you are no longer forced to commission him. IF you skip the tutorial.

That "you cannot because it breaks the game" nonsense was never plausible, and I believe the devs actually did never state that anyway.
    Actually, they did. The simple fact you still can't drop him would say it's plausible.
    Honestly, simply having the wrong NPC appear in a dialog box counts as "breaking the game". Obviously it's minor, and some might prefer it, but it's still "breaking the game".

Night of the Comet is broken like that. The captain in a TOS Connie has a Galaxy class bridge behind him every time the dialog comes up.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    flash525 wrote: »
    It really does beg the question of the 'faction' purpose doesn't it? They (Cryptic) might as well revisit the faction element of their game; provide each core species with an origin story (of sorts) and then just merge everyone; one faction, one fleet, one purpose.
    The romulans have always been an origin story. Same TOSlings and soon jem'hadar. There has never been more than two factions.

Merging us all may be what they would want to do (and in the storyline already have, we are all in the Alliance now), but they've said the two-faction system goes so deep in the code removing it would cost more than it's worth. The most we can realistically hope for is releasing the gameplay and item restrictions. Which this is a decent step forward in.
    While I'm now also very inclined to put all my feds on the backseat once this update hits they still have one very big reason to play them. FEDs are the best space barbies. Romulans may gain the upper hand on ships but their wardrobe is horrendously minuscule, especially if you're KDF aligned because that completely wrecks your color palettes and you're stuck with the 50 shades of sh*t that klingons have to endure. Srsly, this is why I never play my kdf-roms I made ages ago.
    True. Unlocking clothes next, please. And hairstyles.
  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    > @smooshy#7462 said:
    > Science Scimitar with Elite Scorpions, at long last, let me introduce you to the Jupiter trait.

If you get the trait on a federation character you can claim it on your klingon and romulan characters through the dil store.

Edit:(Why on earth are quotes formatted differently when posted from mobile?)

It just shows you can play a game solidly for a year and a half and still learn things about it.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Some hope the game gets better maybe. Others just use it as an outlet to vent frustrations I'm guessing.
    This. I keep seeing these "if you hate the game so much why are you still here?" non-arguments, and my answer to them is always the same: I don't hate the game but I think it could be a hell of a lot better if more thought was put into it.
    that's also a non-argument. It's literally true of everything ever made by human hands.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    I think it's an interesting addition. Also helps alot with splitting some Trait Unlocks to Roms and Jem'Hadars, once you've purchased their fed/kdf variant. It really is alt-toon-friendly.
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Honestly I think they need to do balance pass on all the racial traits but now it seems they are using them a incentives to purchase better races....

Plus since you can't race change, if the next big race with amazing base trait comes out. Any person who has spent alot of time/money optimizing will have to start over on a new character...
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @markhawkman said:
    > starswordc wrote: »
    >
    > nimbull wrote: »
    >
    > baddmoonrizin wrote: »
    >
    > I often wonder why those who no longer play the game continue to troll the forum. :confused:
    >
    >
    >
    > Some hope the game gets better maybe. Others just use it as an outlet to vent frustrations I'm guessing.
    >
    >
    >
    > This. I keep seeing these "if you hate the game so much why are you still here?" non-arguments, and my answer to them is always the same: I don't hate the game but I think it could be a hell of a lot better if more thought was put into it.
    >
    >
    >
    > that's also a non-argument. It's literally true of everything ever made by human hands.

Oh, give me a break, that's called "constructive criticism". I just didn't go into any particular detail here because that'd be a whole 'nother thread.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    To be clear, I wasn't speaking of anyone in particular, although flash's comments did reminder me that I have had this thought before. Also, that's not to say that someone who isn't currently playing the game cannot have an opinion or offer feedback. But it seems there are some who, for their own reasons have chosen to quit the game and vow never to return, yet still feel some need to visit these forums just to ridicule players, flame the devs, and/or spread general unpleasantness. These are the ones to whom I refer. Anyway, enough of that. Back to the thread topic.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • chadhughes145chadhughes145 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Why would you NOT want Tovan Khev? He's your Bromulan!

I'm itching to space him unless he gets full SRO buff instead of RO. If I have to be forced to have a BO I don't want I'd at least like him useful after collecting a bunch of SROs.
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    Romulan's can claim T6 faction ships instead of restricted to T6 Rom ships now? My admiralty on my Romulan just got sweeter. Also why would I want to fly anything other than my Scimitar on my Romulan? Fed ships don't have battle cloaks like it does.

Always wanted the T5 Multimission Consoles on my T6 Rommy Multimissions :P

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• chadhughes145chadhughes145 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2018

I'm itching to space him unless he gets full SRO buff instead of RO. If I have to be forced to have a BO I don't want I'd at least like him useful after collecting a bunch of SROs.

Well, he complains more than a Klingon with anal Targ itch syndrome while getting whipped by J'mpok while being forced to stare at the honorary picture of Chancelor Gorhkon post assasination while also being forced to endure a never ending speech about the history of the Chodak, given by Captain Picard. Alright, I can see your points about Tovan :P
    I will say, feedback pertaining to why one left the game is probably very, very useful. But at the same time, if you haven't played the game for several months, your opinion doesn't really matter to anyone but yourself (And even you should realize your opinion is outdated, and your perspective could use some refreshing).
    The irony here is that it's the game that needs something refreshing, not ones perspective.

I've said elsewhere too, but I'll repeat here; a Cardassian Faction (at least one mimicking the Republic) would have actually brought me back to the game - at least for a while, so to suggest that someone who's left a while ago has less of an opinion is nonsense. The very reason I'm not returning is because the Cardassian people (by extension) have been cheated; there's no backstory for them, there's no starter missions, they've just been dumped into the FED/KDF, thus my feedback (for not returning) is specifically valid.
    warpangel wrote: »
    It really does beg the question of the 'faction' purpose doesn't it? They (Cryptic) might as well revisit the faction element of their game; provide each core species with an origin story (of sorts) and then just merge everyone; one faction, one fleet, one purpose.
    The romulans have always been an origin story. Same TOSlings and soon jem'hadar. There has never been more than two factions.

Merging us all may be what they would want to do (and in the storyline already have, we are all in the Alliance now), but they've said the two-faction system goes so deep in the code removing it would cost more than it's worth. The most we can realistically hope for is releasing the gameplay and item restrictions. Which this is a decent step forward in.
    Cryptic then need to make up their mind; either actually have two factions - and make them vastly different and not one grand alliance, or merge everything.

I kinda' wish that they'd gone the route of keeping the KDF as the bad guys. Adding the Romulans, Cardassians (etc) is great and all, but they should have been added alongside KDF-equivalent species. The whole theme of create a Romulan/Reman then join the FED/KDF... Most players (because of content) created a Romulan/Reman (and soon to be Jem'Hadar) and joined the Federation.

Cryptic, and in turn, STO doesn't really have two factions, it's more like one and then an afterthought, and then whatever the Republic was. I question the management decisions. STO could have been a true Red vs Blue style game, with vast differences across the two factions (in turn, with people wanting to experience both sides of it) but instead we got some giant alliance where everyone is friendly and there's a joint-threat each year that continues to bring the narrative together.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    As I already said if you don't play then you cannot possibly offer any actual feedback about anything in the game you don't play. You can talk about the out of date stuff you knew when you did play, but that in most cases no longer applies to the current game, you can talk about why you left, but that only matters to you. I don't play WoW, you don't see me going to the WoW forum and offering my irrelevant opinion.
    Had I not specifically stated I haven't played in near two years, you'd be none the wiser, so tell me, what difference does my opinion have to you?

In any case, I'm not planning on leaving these forums anytime soon. Feel free to ignore my opinions.

Cryptic then need to make up their mind; either actually have two factions - and make them vastly different and not one grand alliance, or merge everything.

I kinda' wish that they'd gone the route of keeping the KDF as the bad guys. Adding the Romulans, Cardassians (etc) is great and all, but they should have been added alongside KDF-equivalent species. The whole theme of create a Romulan/Reman then join the FED/KDF... Most players (because of content) created a Romulan/Reman (and soon to be Jem'Hadar) and joined the Federation.

Cryptic, and in turn, STO doesn't really have two factions, it's more like one and then an afterthought, and then whatever the Republic was. I question the management decisions. STO could have been a true Red vs Blue style game, with vast differences across the two factions (in turn, with people wanting to experience both sides of it) but instead we got some giant alliance where everyone is friendly and there's a joint-threat each year that continues to bring the narrative together.
    They're not going to have "vastly different" factions or the KDF as the bad guys. They've explicitly stated they don't want to make anymore faction-specific content. The Alliance is here to stay. It's been long overdue getting the gameplay to follow the storyline in this aspect, but they finally seem to be getting on with it.

The separate factions weren't an afterthought. More the exact opposite. They were an experiment, which didn't pan out and were redirected into a unified storyline. If the game was started now, all the factions would probably be just origin stories, after which we'd all end up together. But because of the way the two factions are coded, it may well be too much work to ever completely merge them after the fact. At best the factions may end up functionally identical but separate in name only, because that'll be easier to implement. Hopefully they'll at least get crossfaction teaming working at some point.
    They're not going to have "vastly different" factions or the KDF as the bad guys. They've explicitly stated they don't want to make anymore faction-specific content. The Alliance is here to stay. It's been long overdue getting the gameplay to follow the storyline in this aspect, but they finally seem to be getting on with it.
    I know they're not - not now anyway, and I didn't mean the KDF specifically as evil warriors, but instead as faction with a completely different agenda (and thus, adversarial) to the Federation.
    The separate factions weren't an afterthought. More the exact opposite. They were an experiment, which didn't pan out and were redirected into a unified storyline. If the game was started now, all the factions would probably be just origin stories, after which we'd all end up together. But because of the way the two factions are coded, it may well be too much work to ever completely merge them after the fact. At best the factions may end up functionally identical but separate in name only, because that'll be easier to implement. Hopefully they'll at least get crossfaction teaming working at some point.
    If my memory serves, the KDF were initially constructed to serve as a PvP element, and weren't a proper faction, and thus were an afterthought in terms of not getting the same/full treatment.

Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure that's how it went back in the day.
    Oh my god could you imagine this game with the three faction setup TOS had? Romulans, Klingons, and Feds all vying for power. This game could be so much better factions were actually fully vested like that and rivalries setup like in the TOS/TNG days.

Christ when I first played the AoY TOS missions it was like a whole new game set in to the TOS universe and for one brief moment I had a major fantasy of not just Fed access but Romulan and KDF TOS setups as well. Then reality hit like a brick when I got plopped down on ESD present day. I would have so played Romulan if they offered that in the AoY TOS missions.
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User

Actually, there is really no more content being Fed aligned as to being KDF aligned. Once you get past the faction specific arcs it's all the same. And when it comes to faction specific, the Rom have far more missions than the Feds.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    you're stuck with the 50 shades of sh*t that klingons have to endure.

OMG....you cracked me up, seriousdave!!!! How many times this exact thought has gone through my head, I tell you.

Though I have to say.....as I created my Fed Klingon....Feds have lots of uniforms but nothing really appealing to me. So...maybe not so better on the other side of the fence.

OH, and as I am going through the (mostly) Jem'hadar episodes in DS9, right now. There isn't a lot of variation on Jem'hadar uniforms, are there? There might even be LESS options for them.

Hopefully they make up for it by allowing in colors....I would like to make a aqua green Jem'hadar...with magenta horns.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    I'd imagine Jem'hadar would have less uniform choices as well as color choices. The Dominion didn't really breed them for fashion statements. If they did get a wider color selection and such I'd HOPE that the KDF would have more options opened up in the tailor as well.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    On the thread topic - when has there ever been a "reason" not to play a Rom? Or a Fed? There used to be a reason not to play a Klink (first having to grind out the first 20 levels in queues before there were missions available, then having to start at lvl20 with nothing even vaguely resembling a tutorial to give your actions any context), but that was cleared up in LoR, as I recall. Unless you're fixated on minmaxing for PvP, there's no reason "not" to play anyone in this game.

Maybe try treating it as an interactive entertainment, rather than the zero-sum "game" concept some folks seem to have where if there's no clear loser, they can't possibly be winning? I dunno, just an idea I guess...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    you're stuck with the 50 shades of sh*t that klingons have to endure.

OMG....you cracked me up, seriousdave!!!! How many times this exact thought has gone through my head, I tell you.

Though I have to say.....as I created my Fed Klingon....Feds have lots of uniforms but nothing really appealing to me. So...maybe not so better on the other side of the fence.

OH, and as I am going through the (mostly) Jem'hadar episodes in DS9, right now. There isn't a lot of variation on Jem'hadar uniforms, are there? There might even be LESS options for them.

Hopefully they make up for it by allowing in colors....I would like to make a aqua green Jem'hadar...with magenta horns.

It would be nice if they just standardized all the tailors (Rom/Kdf) with the same colors as Fed. As for outfits, Rom are like the orphans of STO, can't even wear earrings, so it doesn't surprise me Jem'Hadar would be any different. Then again if you think about they all look pretty much the same anyway. So, no aqua green Jem'Hadar for you! :)