test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulans, Fly the Ships of Your Allies!

Comments

• Options
    deathray38deathray38 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    How about unlocking T5 and below zen store access between all factions upon reaching max level or something, T5 ships are supposed to be obsolete so in theory it's possible to allow allies to fly the lesser design ships. If you're gonna offer admiralty card fiesta, at least do it right.

+1.
    Cross faction T5 >>> Romulans take all and show middle finger to everyone else
  • Options
    blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    I have always wanted a T6 ship that looks like a Romulan warbird and in every way, to me, feels like a Romulan warbird, but has a warp core and can tank like a real cruiser. Or, maybe what I want is a Reman warbird cruiser with a warp core. Looking at the story, or canon, of STO and the way D'Tan has been pushing for reunification, as well as cooperation with Feds and KDF, it just doesn't make sense to me that we have yet to see a Romulan (or Reman?) warbird/ship with a warp core.

I'm sorta the same, I love my caitian and have a Romulan, but I find the singularity stuff sorta fun and amusing, but there aren't Romulan Caitian's or ferasans.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options
    hiep16hiep16 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    deathray38 wrote: »
    How about unlocking T5 and below zen store access between all factions upon reaching max level or something, T5 ships are supposed to be obsolete so in theory it's possible to allow allies to fly the lesser design ships. If you're gonna offer admiralty card fiesta, at least do it right.

+1 It show that the alliance share technology to each other but no access to T6 Ship keeps the faction identity...and no waste of zen for buying Zen-Store Ships when you already get the starshiptrait already from federation/kdf counterparts (when you have the romulans ones). For the romulan player who want fly a warpcore ship you can get then the T5-U Ships which are already good enough/cross-faction ships (T6) :)
  • Options
    jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    I really hope this leads to what I have wanted for a long time: a Romulan warbird cruiser with a warp core.
    The thing is, Singularity Core has been part of the Romulans ship identity.

If the ship has not Singularity Core, then the ship isn't a Romulan Warbird.

What I'm more concerned is this question I fear to answer.

Is there any point in playing a Fed or KDF toon? I dread that answer is No.

I disagree. Perhaps, to you, it's not the same, and I respect that. But if you take the phasers and photon torpedoes off of a Galaxy class cruiser and put in plasma weapons, it's still a Galaxy class cruiser. If you take the stock engine out of a Volkswagen and put in an American engine, it's still a Volkswagen. When the British took the stock engine out of a P-51 Mustang and put in a Spitfire engine, it was still a P-51 Mustang. If you prefer, we can agree to disagree, and I'll change the wording of what you quoted. I have always wanted a T6 ship that looks like a Romulan warbird and in every way, to me, feels like a Romulan warbird, but has a warp core and can tank like a real cruiser. Or, maybe what I want is a Reman warbird cruiser with a warp core. Looking at the story, or canon, of STO and the way D'Tan has been pushing for reunification, as well as cooperation with Feds and KDF, it just doesn't make sense to me that we have yet to see a Romulan (or Reman?) warbird/ship with a warp core.

What you are asking for isnt possible, ships have base amount of power, then everything else like warpcores addon/modify that. If you jam a warp core into a romulan ship in this game it is still going to have the power issues of a singularity core, so how a 'warpcore' fits you better is kinda wrong. Its not the warp core its the nonsigularity core base power level. What you are asking for would require editing every single ship in the game.

Also if they did change it so you could have nonsingularity power levels + warpcore, you would need to disable the singularity powers which are part of the ship and the romulan battle cloak. Why? Cause the lower base power is a balancing point of those key items. Other wise you would have a romulan battle cloaking ship + powers + normal power levels, making all other non-romulan ships 100% inferior. Romulan ships dont need warpcores, they should stay Romulan. The 3 factions atm should keep their own uniqueness other wise whats the point. Nothing wrong with a 1 off cross over so long as balance is maintained but it is not something that needs messed with on a total scale.

Giving T6 ships of KDF/Fed to the Roms is a bad idea, if you go that far just completely erase the 'faction' lines and make us all Fed at that point. I dont want to see STO reduced to just Feds, Klingons should be Klingons etc etc, it makes the game boring if we are all on ESD all doing the same stuff. Flavor is after all variations in taste, why make it bland.
  • Options
    oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    KDF and Starfleet don't even have access to Rommie Ships or their OP BOff's that can stack up and do massive amounts of damage +10% Crit & +25% Crti Dmg.

But that's what's REALLY going on here! Oh, not with the ships. But with the BOFFs? Heck, yes, the KDF and Starfleet DO...now.

Cryptic isn't really giving Romulans anything. Geko hates us, and the KDF. What's actually being done is completely giving the Romulans TO the Feds.

Roll a Rom, and fly FED ships all the way to endgame...while using a crew of those sweet Rom BOFFs you're going on about. FED ships with ROM crews, that's what the FED players have wanted all along, and now they have it. Oh, sure it says "Romulan" on your character sheet, but who are you trying to kid? The DPS Feddies now have what they want: Fed ships, with Superior Operatives and/or Superior Infiltrators at every station. You can always pretend you're a Vulcan. Heck at that point, you practically are: pointed-eared FED officers. And if you can't stand even that, roll a ROM alien-gen captain, and make it look human. Captain Bob Smith with an all-ROM crew in a Defiant with Battle Cloak.

No, this was a real Trojan Horse, in the original sense - presented as a gift to the Romulans, it's actually the end of any remaining shreds of uniqueness, independence or diversity.

Resistance is futile, we HAVE BEEN assimilated.

But by the Federation.

Surprise.

Who are you trying to kid? Child... You claim to see this as maintaining faction ''uniqueness'' in terms of species, i see this as a Statistical Combat Balance... It's no secret RR BOff's can have space traits up to with 5x Superior Operative + Subterfuge to boost Rommie Characters with a total of +10% Crit Hit, +25% Crit Dmg, +75% Cloak CD time and +12.5 Defense combined... KDF and Fed characters do have the access to Rom BOff's via Fleet Embassy, but those Rom Embassy BOff's space traits compare to their RR BOff's are limited in space trait stacking and are inferior overall. I don't see Geko or his team trying to deal with this issue, and there is no other BOff's in game that can outperform a combined 5x RR BOff's. I see you don't want RR BOff's to be use by KDF or Fed players... interesting enough, Romulan Republic players can use KDF and Fed BOff's, but even though they have access to them, i see they in no rush in using them... being that KDF and Fed BOff's suck in terms space trait performace. Just admit it, you just want to out DPS KDF and Fed players.

I been playing the KDF since the beginning, i know how Cryptic maintain their faction imbalances over the years, when they announced a Romulan faction i was hoping for a Full Playable Romulan Star Empire (Real Romulans) recovering from the ashes, fighting off the traitorous Tai'Shair led by Hakeev, while being hostile towards KE and UFP, only allying with them when needed to fight a common foe... Not some sort of Romulan Republic lapdogs that kneel to their Fed and KDF overlords while licking their boots.

The Real Trojan Horse is giving Fake Rommies more access towards High-End Tier Ships of KDF and Feds... not to mention more consoles from those ships and also more Starships traits to gain which in turn will increase Rommie combat performance compare to that of KDF and Feds even more, while the KDF and Feds will get nothing in return.

First, thank your for that "Child". To be considered youthful is a compliment at my age. For your information, I'm retired, with grandchildren, and was a fan of TOS in its original run. I sincerely doubt you're actually old enough to call me child, but thanks anyway.

Second, like you, I was also hoping for a "Real Romulan" faction, and would have MUCH preferred the RSE to the RR. The reason my Romulan main (KDF-allied, by the way) still flies a T5-U fleet T'Varo instead of the T6 Malem I bought is because you can't use the IRW prefix on the latter, while you can on the former.

Third, your accusation that I want to out DPS anyone is false. I don't honestly CARE about DPS at all. If I did, my main character wouldn't still fly a T5-U. I certainly don't use DPS as some way of keeping score, as you seem to do.

With my Romulan characters, what I DO care about is playing a Romulan, not a human or a Vulcan or a Klingon. I have FED and KDF characters for that. And speaking as a Romulan, I don't want your ships, weapons, consoles, equipment, BOFFs, DOFFs, uniforms, races or traits. I don't want ANYTHING from you or your faction. AND I don't want you to have anything of ours. Not because of DPS. I don't care if your BOFFs are worse than ours or your Warp Cores better. I don't care if you have better consoles or weapons or traits. As a Romulan, I just want to be Romulan.

Re-read my first post at the top of this thread (right after the good Ambassador's). I wouldn't be caught dead flying a FED ship as a Romulan (except for Temporal Ambassador, where I didn't have a choice. Fortunately, that was in an alternate timeline, so it never really happened). :) So much for wanting to out DPS anyone.

What I was trying to point out is that, in effect, what this is doing is giving our BOFFs to you. No, not the crappy and limited Embassy ones, but the full range. All you have to do is what I said in my previous post, and you'll be flying a FED ship with SRO's all over the place, which is what you've been whining about.

We Romulans lose what little is left of our cultural identity, so you can get a few more bonuses. You win. Yay for you.
    We both agree that the Romulan's needed their own RSE faction, but that time has past with Cryptic making them in a ''Democratic'' Peace loving Starfleet sympathizing puppet faction... Total opposite from the xenophobic, self-serving, self-reliant Romulans we know from the TV shows.

As for the DPS part, it's not you... some Rommie players in general, since i play my KDF toon mostly in PvP, some Rommie players in the past use the excuse of keeping factional ''uniqueness'' of Superior RR BOff's to themselves so they can keep advantage of Superior Firepower, the ability to recloak back to safety half the time that other factions players can, and the increase ability to dodge weapons fire to reduce overall damage... the combat capabilities that KDF and Feds lacked compare to their Rommie counterparts.

I too believe in faction ''uniqueness'' but the fact is, you, i and others playing this game have no decision in this... Geko and his team does when it comes to faction related things, most i totally disagree with things like cross-factions PvP, puppet factions, sharing high-end ships to puppets, imbalanced BOff's space traits on factions, sharing c-store consoles to other factions for very little return etc... But Cryptic done it anyways.

No, Sorry... In this post-DR era, creating Rommie characters just to use their Superior BOff's just to compete in PvP would be pointless. it's not laziness, but fact is you have to regrind alot of XP for Specialized Points would take months to fill multiple trees, not to mention the tens of millions of Dilithium & EC to spend for Trait Slots, Consoles, Weapons, Gear, extra Slots etc. just to get PvP ready, all of which that have been done on my main KDF character which toke a very long time, i have to stop using multiple characters because of this constant grind since DR... only way Cryptic can fix the BOff's issue is to either redoing the Embassy BOff's by giving each of them Superior Operative and Superior Subterfuge combined on each, or make new BOff's with 2 space traits that can atleast compete with Superior RR BOff's... If they don't want to do that, the only option is giving KDF and Fed access to Superior RR BOff's since Cryptic don't want to do anything else deal with these imbalances.

I'm all for factional cultural identity... but if Cryptic keeps doing stupid stuff by giving puppets faction players everything to increase their combat performance over main KDF and Fed faction players, it does not hurt to ask for trade off's in return... i don't want this happen, but we get no vote, Cryptic does what it wants at the expense of factional balances.
  • Options
    kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    It is entirley possible for the Romulans (or the devs) to build a new Romulan ship form the ground up, based on a warp core. Doing so would not mean that current Romulan ships would need to be given the option to have a warp core. Obviously, this would mean that such a Romulan ship with a warp core would not have the singularity powers, but I would rather have a warp core with it's power levels than a singularity with it's abilities. As for the singularity powers being a Romulan signature thing, I don't remember any Romulan ship using any of those abilities in the shows or movies.
    Note that the Feds and KDF have ships with cloaking devices, but none of them have singularity cores. Also, not every Fed/KDF ship gets to have a cloaking device. Still, if a new Romulan ship was made with a warp core and couldn't have a cloaking device, I'd be ok with it. I never use cloak anyway.
    As I said before, the closest thing I can do for a Romulan with a warp core is the Suliban ship. It's a good ship. Still not a Romulan design, though. I will also repeat that my favorite ship (for appearance) is the Dhelan, because it looks half Romulan and half Klingon.
  • Options
    firelordzx5firelordzx5 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    People are really against this? if you really want to play a Pure Romulan just Roll just a Warbird and have Boffs that goes with the Theme.

Romulans were NEVER intended to be a full fledge faction with the story as it is and it makes sense, the game years is still 2410, they are just recently out of the Iconian War and they were hit the hardest, how many other romulan colonies were wiped out by the Heralds? Story wise They don't have naval strength, they still need outside help for their capital world's mass colonization and defense.

They are not in position to become a completely independent faction.

In the way how the game is programmed and coded, I don't believe adding a third side and much less a fourth side is possible or even worth the effort and yet they made the Romulans and warbirds playable in the only way it could be presented to us

You should be GLAD in playing a Romulan and flying a Warbird exclusive to them, they had the rights to not do the Legacy of Romulus and focus on expanding the KDF, made the Romulans playable races on both factions and their ships put into a Lock Box, like the Cardassians.

Cryptic just expanded the options for Romulans players but you still have the liberty to play in the way you want, Fly a Warbird with Romulan and Reman Boffs.
  • Options
    fun4ever#6757 fun4ever Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    It's unfair to FED/KDF.
    So now ROMs can fly my Ajax and i cant use Khaiell?
    Despite the fact that ROMs have OVERPOWERED SROs... now they get HUGE boost to Admiralty.

P.S.
    Allow FED/KDF use ROMs ships and SROs (Since FED/KDF will be allowed to use Vil'Hadar ships).
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    jtoney3448 wrote: »
    Well not everyone wants to be Federation puppet. You guys can enjoy flying Fed ships and dress in their pyjama uniforms. The only thing Romulan about you at that point is the ears but even then you would be confused of being a pacifist Vulcan.

Considering that Cryptic has to deal with the ramifications of JJ Abrams blowing up Romulus because he couldn't write a original story to save his life, I think the RR came out pretty well. While not perfect, the lore they created out of that event at least makes sense. Better to be pulled into the Federation's orbit, than descend into Stupid Evil like the Mirror Universe has.

What amuses me, though, is how certain KDF and Rom fanbois really think Romulan and Klingon culture is so weak that they'll be swallowed up without a trace into the Federation "blob". Hardly. Humans are a lot closer to Romulans and Klingons by nature than they want to admit....and they know it. I think Picard or Janeway would be far more upset by a trip to the 31st Century than Kirk, Archer, or perhaps even Sisko would.

Um, it was TNG you can thank for there being no romulus not JJ. The last episode of TNG 'All Good Things' covered that period of time and it was stated in the show that the RSE was no more, the neutral zone was gone, that the klingons had invaded the former RSE and that the Federation had opposed them leading to war with the klingon empire. JJ simply followed up on that story line by having spock get pulled into the alternate universe leading to the kelvin time line alternate universe.

Now back onto topic, i think romulans getting full fed and kdf ships is a bad move, it utterly destroys the lines between the diff factions leaving little to define them. This will turn romulan into a super faction basicly giving them much more then the other 2, not a good move. I never liked the Feds having more then the KDF, but that was way more balanced then what this will turn into.

I know we dont get a vote, but my personal vote.
    I say no, dont do it. After all its unneeded, the romulans have more then enough ships atm to stand on their own.

Incorrect it said the RSE was no more but it did not say Romulus was destroyed and also All Good Things was not a guaranteed future as it was put in place by Q to help him heal this rift in time. Blowing up Romulus was a ploy by JJ Abrams to make Star Trek a version of Star Wars and had made the films one of the worst kinds of trek I have ever seen and that also includes Discovery. Alas I have to concede the Trek I knew is dead and Discovery and the Kelvin timeline is the future. However I will stick with the Trek I like
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    So much animosity. Although @ 50% of my toons are Roms, with the other half split almost evenly between Fed and KDf, I don't go off the deep end because the Feds get so much more than the other two factions, I don't get upset if the KDF gets something my Rommies don't, and I also don't gloat when my my Rommies get bonus stuff in giveaways, like getting both a Rom ship and faction-aligned ship when Cryptic does a T1-T4 ship giveaway.

I love that my Roms can now get admiralty cards for the faction ships I've paid for, I need a lot more Sci in Admiralty on my Roms. They won't be flying any of those ships, they are Romulans and they will be flying Romulan ships. What I would like to see though are some choices in ships while levelling. Only one Romulan ship available at each tier until T5 sucks.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    > @arionisa said:
    > So much animosity. Although @ 50% of my toons are Roms, with the other half split almost evenly between Fed and KDf, I don't go off the deep end because the Feds get so much more than the other two factions, I don't get upset if the KDF gets something my Rommies don't, and I also don't gloat when my my Rommies get bonus stuff in giveaways, like getting both a Rom ship and faction-aligned ship when Cryptic does a T1-T4 ship giveaway.
    >
    > I love that my Roms can now get admiralty cards for the faction ships I've paid for, I need a lot more Sci in Admiralty on my Roms. They won't be flying any of those ships, they are Romulans and they will be flying Romulan ships. What I would like to see though are some choices in ships while levelling. Only one Romulan ship available at each tier until T5 sucks.

Agreed.

Imagine how boring Fed or KDF would be if you only had access to a single ship instead of the Escort/Sci/Cruiser or Raider/Raptor/Cruiser setup they get. Even at Tier 1, Feds and KDF have potential access to more than one ship.

Granted, the Roms will still only have access to a single ship at Tier 1 and Tier 2, given how the storyline progresses, but still.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    potasssiumpotasssium Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    I feel like I'm missing something. 1/2 of these ships are just the other factions skins. It looks like almost all of them save for the T6 Soviegn are box or Lobi ships?

Now using as Kelvin D4x or the Temporal D7 are the most interesting.

At any rate I'm glad the Vet Ships where included. IIRC the KDF Vet ship has a battle cloak, and my Fed Allied Reman Eng would like to give the Manticore a spin.

So while I'm certainly happy with this, I hope it gets expanded to give the Romulans a few more science ships this way, like the Scryer.
    Thanks for the Advanced Light Cruiser, Allied Escort Bundles, Jem-Hadar Light Battlecruiser, and Mek'leth
    New Content Wishlist
    T6 updates for the Kamarag & Vor'Cha
    Heavy Cruiser & a Movie Era Style AoY Utility Cruiser
    Dahar Master Jacket

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    It is entirley possible for the Romulans (or the devs) to build a new Romulan ship form the ground up, based on a warp core. Doing so would not mean that current Romulan ships would need to be given the option to have a warp core. Obviously, this would mean that such a Romulan ship with a warp core would not have the singularity powers, but I would rather have a warp core with it's power levels than a singularity with it's abilities. As for the singularity powers being a Romulan signature thing, I don't remember any Romulan ship using any of those abilities in the shows or movies.
    Note that the Feds and KDF have ships with cloaking devices, but none of them have singularity cores. Also, not every Fed/KDF ship gets to have a cloaking device. Still, if a new Romulan ship was made with a warp core and couldn't have a cloaking device, I'd be ok with it. I never use cloak anyway.
    As I said before, the closest thing I can do for a Romulan with a warp core is the Suliban ship. It's a good ship. Still not a Romulan design, though. I will also repeat that my favorite ship (for appearance) is the Dhelan, because it looks half Romulan and half Klingon.
    *points at Silik stealth cruiser*

Seriously, that bridge was crossed a long time ago.... Technically it's not a "Romulan" design, but it's a design usable only by Romulan Republic characters.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    @markhawkman
    I'm not sure what you mean by "that bridge was crossed a long time ago", my friend. I am not complaining about the Silik. It's a good ship and I use it. Right now, it's the closest thing to what I really want for my Romulan characters.
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    KDF and Starfleet don't even have access to Rommie Ships or their OP BOff's that can stack up and do massive amounts of damage +10% Crit & +25% Crti Dmg.

But that's what's REALLY going on here! Oh, not with the ships. But with the BOFFs? Heck, yes, the KDF and Starfleet DO...now.

Cryptic isn't really giving Romulans anything. Geko hates us, and the KDF. What's actually being done is completely giving the Romulans TO the Feds.

Roll a Rom, and fly FED ships all the way to endgame...while using a crew of those sweet Rom BOFFs you're going on about. FED ships with ROM crews, that's what the FED players have wanted all along, and now they have it. Oh, sure it says "Romulan" on your character sheet, but who are you trying to kid? The DPS Feddies now have what they want: Fed ships, with Superior Operatives and/or Superior Infiltrators at every station. You can always pretend you're a Vulcan. Heck at that point, you practically are: pointed-eared FED officers. And if you can't stand even that, roll a ROM alien-gen captain, and make it look human. Captain Bob Smith with an all-ROM crew in a Defiant with Battle Cloak.

No, this was a real Trojan Horse, in the original sense - presented as a gift to the Romulans, it's actually the end of any remaining shreds of uniqueness, independence or diversity.

Resistance is futile, we HAVE BEEN assimilated.

But by the Federation.

Surprise.

Who are you trying to kid? Child... You claim to see this as maintaining faction ''uniqueness'' in terms of species, i see this as a Statistical Combat Balance... It's no secret RR BOff's can have space traits up to with 5x Superior Operative + Subterfuge to boost Rommie Characters with a total of +10% Crit Hit, +25% Crit Dmg, +75% Cloak CD time and +12.5 Defense combined... KDF and Fed characters do have the access to Rom BOff's via Fleet Embassy, but those Rom Embassy BOff's space traits compare to their RR BOff's are limited in space trait stacking and are inferior overall. I don't see Geko or his team trying to deal with this issue, and there is no other BOff's in game that can outperform a combined 5x RR BOff's. I see you don't want RR BOff's to be use by KDF or Fed players... interesting enough, Romulan Republic players can use KDF and Fed BOff's, but even though they have access to them, i see they in no rush in using them... being that KDF and Fed BOff's suck in terms space trait performace. Just admit it, you just want to out DPS KDF and Fed players.

I been playing the KDF since the beginning, i know how Cryptic maintain their faction imbalances over the years, when they announced a Romulan faction i was hoping for a Full Playable Romulan Star Empire (Real Romulans) recovering from the ashes, fighting off the traitorous Tai'Shair led by Hakeev, while being hostile towards KE and UFP, only allying with them when needed to fight a common foe... Not some sort of Romulan Republic lapdogs that kneel to their Fed and KDF overlords while licking their boots.

The Real Trojan Horse is giving Fake Rommies more access towards High-End Tier Ships of KDF and Feds... not to mention more consoles from those ships and also more Starships traits to gain which in turn will increase Rommie combat performance compare to that of KDF and Feds even more, while the KDF and Feds will get nothing in return.

First, thank your for that "Child". To be considered youthful is a compliment at my age. For your information, I'm retired, with grandchildren, and was a fan of TOS in its original run. I sincerely doubt you're actually old enough to call me child, but thanks anyway.

Second, like you, I was also hoping for a "Real Romulan" faction, and would have MUCH preferred the RSE to the RR. The reason my Romulan main (KDF-allied, by the way) still flies a T5-U fleet T'Varo instead of the T6 Malem I bought is because you can't use the IRW prefix on the latter, while you can on the former.

Third, your accusation that I want to out DPS anyone is false. I don't honestly CARE about DPS at all. If I did, my main character wouldn't still fly a T5-U. I certainly don't use DPS as some way of keeping score, as you seem to do.

With my Romulan characters, what I DO care about is playing a Romulan, not a human or a Vulcan or a Klingon. I have FED and KDF characters for that. And speaking as a Romulan, I don't want your ships, weapons, consoles, equipment, BOFFs, DOFFs, uniforms, races or traits. I don't want ANYTHING from you or your faction. AND I don't want you to have anything of ours. Not because of DPS. I don't care if your BOFFs are worse than ours or your Warp Cores better. I don't care if you have better consoles or weapons or traits. As a Romulan, I just want to be Romulan.

Re-read my first post at the top of this thread (right after the good Ambassador's). I wouldn't be caught dead flying a FED ship as a Romulan (except for Temporal Ambassador, where I didn't have a choice. Fortunately, that was in an alternate timeline, so it never really happened). :) So much for wanting to out DPS anyone.

What I was trying to point out is that, in effect, what this is doing is giving our BOFFs to you. No, not the crappy and limited Embassy ones, but the full range. All you have to do is what I said in my previous post, and you'll be flying a FED ship with SRO's all over the place, which is what you've been whining about.

We Romulans lose what little is left of our cultural identity, so you can get a few more bonuses. You win. Yay for you.
    We both agree that the Romulan's needed their own RSE faction, but that time has past with Cryptic making them in a ''Democratic'' Peace loving Starfleet sympathizing puppet faction... Total opposite from the xenophobic, self-serving, self-reliant Romulans we know from the TV shows.

As for the DPS part, it's not you... some Rommie players in general, since i play my KDF toon mostly in PvP, some Rommie players in the past use the excuse of keeping factional ''uniqueness'' of Superior RR BOff's to themselves so they can keep advantage of Superior Firepower, the ability to recloak back to safety half the time that other factions players can, and the increase ability to dodge weapons fire to reduce overall damage... the combat capabilities that KDF and Feds lacked compare to their Rommie counterparts.

I too believe in faction ''uniqueness'' but the fact is, you, i and others playing this game have no decision in this... Geko and his team does when it comes to faction related things, most i totally disagree with things like cross-factions PvP, puppet factions, sharing high-end ships to puppets, imbalanced BOff's space traits on factions, sharing c-store consoles to other factions for very little return etc... But Cryptic done it anyways.

No, Sorry... In this post-DR era, creating Rommie characters just to use their Superior BOff's just to compete in PvP would be pointless. it's not laziness, but fact is you have to regrind alot of XP for Specialized Points would take months to fill multiple trees, not to mention the tens of millions of Dilithium & EC to spend for Trait Slots, Consoles, Weapons, Gear, extra Slots etc. just to get PvP ready, all of which that have been done on my main KDF character which toke a very long time, i have to stop using multiple characters because of this constant grind since DR... only way Cryptic can fix the BOff's issue is to either redoing the Embassy BOff's by giving each of them Superior Operative and Superior Subterfuge combined on each, or make new BOff's with 2 space traits that can atleast compete with Superior RR BOff's... If they don't want to do that, the only option is giving KDF and Fed access to Superior RR BOff's since Cryptic don't want to do anything else deal with these imbalances.

I'm all for factional cultural identity... but if Cryptic keeps doing stupid stuff by giving puppets faction players everything to increase their combat performance over main KDF and Fed faction players, it does not hurt to ask for trade off's in return... i don't want this happen, but we get no vote, Cryptic does what it wants at the expense of factional balances.

Thanks, Oakland, and my apologies for being defensive! I DID misunderstand the direction of your accusations, and thank you for clarifying.

And I certainly see your point about it being too late to grind a new character just for SRO's - but since Cryptic seems bent on making us start yet another new character for ViL anyway...

It seems we agree on most points, and as for the rest...you're right, it's up to Cryptic, and what we players want is often irrelevant. Sad, but judging by the track record, true.
  • Options
    grumpyowl#1151 grumpyowl Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    > @iamynaught said:
    > Well, I can say I didn't see this coming. A great boon to Admiralty for Romulans.
    >
    > Now that it has, when can Fed and KDF Captains fly Romulan ships? And for that matter, when will Feds be able to fly KDF ships and vice versa? You have to realize that now that you've opened the floodgates, there will be cries of "My Fed wants to fly X Romulan ship and Y Klingon ship, NAO!" It'll be interesting to see what happens here on the forums.
    >
    > Honestly though, I think this is an overall bad idea. And this is coming from someone who loves the Romulan storyline and the look of the Romulans ships (mostly) but absolutely detests the singularity mechanic. I fly cross faction ships on my Roms as it is, or the newer ships that have a warp core.
    >
    > From now on it would seem that I won't need to buy Rom ships unless I really want them. Of course, when there is a 3 pack or super-sized 9 pack, I always viewed getting the Fed/KDF ships as the selling point and the Rom ones were free. So I suppose that I'll still get Rom ships when they are part of one of these packs. I just doubt I'll ever buy a Rom ship singly again, unless it has a warp core.

I also really love the Romulan faction and warbirds in general BUT detest the singularity cores. IMO, the singularity powers aren't worth the lost power levels. I wish that they'd come out with a singularity core that gives us back the power levels and drops those useless abilities. It'd be nice to have a choice.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

so basically... you want to play a UFP char but get the SRO boffs.... just stop already
    also you seem to have forgotten the dewany toilet brush ships are warp core
  • Options
    captbaracaptbara Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Is this live yet?
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User

Didnt they do this already with the Talshiar Destroyer and Battle Cruiser?

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    so basically... you want to play a UFP char but get the SRO boffs.... just stop already
    also you seem to have forgotten the dewany toilet brush ships are warp core
    And the Silik. It's been done, also, event ships can be used by Romulans.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    potasssium wrote: »
    I feel like I'm missing something. 1/2 of these ships are just the other factions skins. It looks like almost all of them save for the T6 Soviegn are box or Lobi ships?

Now using as Kelvin D4x or the Temporal D7 are the most interesting.

At any rate I'm glad the Vet Ships where included. IIRC the KDF Vet ship has a battle cloak, and my Fed Allied Reman Eng would like to give the Manticore a spin.

So while I'm certainly happy with this, I hope it gets expanded to give the Romulans a few more science ships this way, like the Scryer.

You read that backwards. The ships listed are not available to Roms. Everything else is.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • Options
    georikzaberiskgeorikzaberisk Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    Ok this might be long but here is my opinion on this:

First of all let us talk about the elephant in the room. The Romulans in STO are not your grandfather's Romulans. There "Romulans" are by far the next generation of Romulans who either hate the Star Empire, Never Grew-up on Romulus or was born after the catastrophe of Romulus. So in other words the Romulan Empire is already dead save for some. The Romulans on STO is not called Romulan Republic for nothing. So being a "Pure Romulan Faction" is what's weird in a sense on this point in time. Heck for crying out loud, Remans are not even Romulans to begin with yet they are part of the Romulan Republic now as citizens. If that's not an indication of how this is different then I think one should start finding a new Star Trek game that revolves around the time when the 3 factions are still at war. So Pure Romulan Faction is kinda out of the question when your entire race is actually only starting to function because of the aid of 2 of the other factions. But one of the greatest factor here is resources. No matter what you think, the Romulan Republic is being smart here. Think of it, they don't have the Tal'Shiar anymore. Sure they're still sneaky but they do it smartly since without the Tal'Shiar their spying capability is halved more or less. This is the price they paid for pushing back the Tyranny of the said group. The Praetor of the Romulans isn't even a full Romulan and the tech advancement of the Romulan empire also came from stealing technology from other races. So pure Romulan Faction is not a stupid idea. It's a great idea. Remember these is base on the story lore of STO and with that think of these things:

-The Romulan Empire because of their Tyranny has less resources than the Feds and they lost their most of their Territory to the Klingons in the game if I remember correctly. So technically rebuilding the empire is out of the question. Heck Sela tried it but to no Success.

-People tend to blame the Feds and say the Romulans became their "Puppet". When did the Feds asked the RR to join the Federation? In the story so far none that I remember but anyone can correct me if I'm wrong here by telling me what scenario it is or chapter/mission the Feds asked the Roms to join the Fed. As far as I remember in the future time line it was the Rom who asked to be part of an alliance not the Federation per say. Also the Reman is an issue as well. They have a thin relationship with them. And it's only natural to have the Feds to build the trust of the Remans since Feds don't like slavery and it will send a good message to the Remans.

-They also won't gain anything from the Roms. In fact the only thing the Fed will gain is if they let the Romulans get permanently destroyed or conquered by the Klingons because then and only then the military side of the Feds will have an excuse to fully militarize. The treaty for the cloak technology, even though the RSE is gone is still intact if all agreements follows real life government protocols. The Romulan Republic is still the Romulan Race. The agreement is with the race and as long as government is still being run under the Romulan Flag then the Treaty of Algeron still is intact. This is also something that was stated on All good things in TNG. Remember the Galaxy X? Why do you think it has a cloak? Simple answer. On that timeline the Romulans have been conquered by the Klingons. Thus nullifying the Treaty. No Romulan Government, Treaty is void.

-But you might say some Fed ships have cloak in STO. Yes they have but if you look at it closely those that have cloaks are just the Intel Ships which if we actually can make sense of it most probably belongs to Section 31. The rest like the Defiant, Galaxy X and the Arbiter don't even have built in cloaking devices. Which means like in the DS9 Series the Cloak might have been lends from the Roms. Think of it, if the ToA was already abolish then the Feds could have been flying with the Pegasu's Cloak right now.

-The Feds have this Pride Image they like to keep like not pursuing other races to join them forcefully. They may give hints but they wont force anyone. It's one of their faults. Too much negotiations and that damn prime directive of them. But the Klingons don't have these. As I stated before it would have been better for the Feds to just ignore the Romulans and it will be much easier for them, but since the Feds insisted on helping the Roms, the Klingons have no choice but to "Play Nice" with the Roms. Or else the Roms might ally themselves with the Feds which will be problematic. The Klingons already have issues in their houses and Species 8472 that I don't think they would want to have 2 fronts to battle.

-This is what I find really fascinating about those who claim Romulans have enough Ships and Tech. Is it already established in the game that Romulans almost lost everything. Heck their army is at their weakest so to speak And with the Civil war going on before the establishment of the alliance do suggest the Romulan's resources are low. If this wasn't true why would the Romulan's want to acccept or seek aid from the Klingons and the Federation? Even if one state that it's the 2 factions are the one who wanted to give aid, if it wasn't needed then do you think any proud Romulan would accept such aid? So yeah I have no issue seeing Technology being shared or ships. It's how real countries work. Even if at first glance one country is only benefiting for this there are more underlying things in politics. Who knows what Cryptic will come up with in the future as compensation for the aid Romulans are getting.

Also currently in game Romulans need more Sci Ships. Feds has more of it so saying Romulans isn't love looking only to one side of the equation. Yes there are no new ships made specifically for both the Klingon and Roms but have ever anyone considered that it might have something to do with permission and sales? It took a long time to get a T6-Connie although not what we all wanted since it's a JJ-verse but we take what we can. And if you've been part of this forum for a long time you would know the reason for that and why ships are mostly Fed. Setting aside the Permission for god knows why, there are only a few KDF and Roms to begin with. Simple answer. Population and Sales. One can argue that if they only made more for the said factions then people would buy them. Where is the evidence in that? When they tried creating new ships did anyone else Jump faction? No. We people in the forums only see what our perspective can see but not the numbers. It's like loot boxes. No matter how much people keep saying to ban it the numbers don't lie. People are still buying it. Because those things are making a game a float. You can argue all you want about better content etch. but unless you factor in the other stuff in game making you wouldn't know how much is really coming in.

Although in the end, it's a game that cryptic made. If you think on how many times the game passed from one company to another then you can actually see that there is an issue on the monetary side. Anyway that's it for now. I'm ok with this update although I still wish the Roms still get more ships and the Klingons too. If these gamble works maybe there is a chance that those 2 factions will get more ships. Peace Guys.
  • Options
    Thank you for underlining the elephant in the room. The New Republic is a survivor that refuses to die. They are a resourceful people who are looking to put away the old ways and build alliances based on friendship and trust. The New Republic is no longer just Romulan, it is also Reman, and they seek to reunify with the Vulcans at some point. Other races, like the Suliban, are also welcome. It doesn't make sense to me that these new Romulans would be so adhered to tradition that they would continue to build every Romulan ship with a singularity core, and would never use a warp core. They have had access to warp cores since day one (T1-4 Fed and KDF ships). I would think that they would reverse engineer one of them, especially since warp cores are more efficient. This is why I feel a new Romulan ship design with a warp core makes a lot of sense in the story of STO.

Let's talk about game play. I think one of the reasons many people don't play as Romulan is because, for a long time, Romulans have been married to singularity cores. IMO, Romulan ships play like escorts with unique abilities. That's fine if you like that sort of thing, but there's been a lack of science ships for Romulans for a long time. It's been my experience that Romulan ships do not tank very well at all, and you cannot play them like regular cruisers. Fed and KDF get to have escorts, sci ships and cruisers. Romulans don't...or didn't. We now have the Silik, the chronos and the temporal sci ship. I am reluctant to mention the "toilet brush" and the temporal raider because they are escorts, not sci ships or cruisers. Then there are the cross faction ships from events, lock boxes and the lobi store. (The temporal ships are cross faction, too.) All of these ships, incuding the tal shiar adapted ships, have the same problem: none of them look Romulan. These are not Romulan ships. They are ships that a Romulan player can use, but none of them are Romulan ships. The addition of Fed and KDF T5-6 ships will help with the singularity core/game play problem, and I think we will see more Romulan players now, however...

I am still hoping for a ship that looks Romulan and plays like a real cruiser. It doesn't have to be the best in the game, it just has to work. As runlevelzer0 said, the singularity abilities are not worth the lost power levels. To me, flying a singularity core ship is like flying a ship that only fights enemies that are all equipped with something better than a plasmonic leach. It will be up to the devs to decide if those of us who want a Romulan cruiser with a warp core will get one or not. But to those of you who, for some arcane reason, are opposed to the devs providing something that at least some of us want...if the devs do give us this, then don't use it.
    PS, to the person who thinks they know what I want for a bridge crew, let me clear up your misconception. I want my Romulan crew to have Tovan, Satra, and a mix of races. I don't know why that matters in a discussion about warp cores, but at least that is cleared up now.
  • Options
    oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    "I know you. I was like you once, but then I opened my eyes. Open your eyes, captain. Why is the Federation so obsessed with the Maquis? We've never harmed you. And yet we're constantly arrested and charged with terrorism. Starships chase us through the Badlands and our supporters are harassed and ridiculed. Why? Because we've left the Federation, and that's the one thing you can't accept. Nobody leaves paradise. Everyone should want to be in the Federation. Hell, you even want the Cardassians to join. You're only sending them replicators because one day they can take their 'rightful place' on the Federation Council. You know, in some ways, you're even worse than the Borg. At least they tell you about their plans for assimilation. You're more insidious. You assimilate people and they don't even know it."

- Michael Eddigton (DS9: Blaze of Glory)
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    "I know you. I was like you once, but then I opened my eyes. Open your eyes, captain. Why is the Federation so obsessed with the Maquis? We've never harmed you. And yet we're constantly arrested and charged with terrorism. Starships chase us through the Badlands and our supporters are harassed and ridiculed. Why? Because we've left the Federation, and that's the one thing you can't accept. Nobody leaves paradise. Everyone should want to be in the Federation. Hell, you even want the Cardassians to join. You're only sending them replicators because one day they can take their 'rightful place' on the Federation Council. You know, in some ways, you're even worse than the Borg. At least they tell you about their plans for assimilation. You're more insidious. You assimilate people and they don't even know it."

- Michael Eddigton (DS9: Blaze of Glory)

As far as the Federation in STO is concerned, truer words were never spoken!
  • Options
    imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    This is exactly what they were going to do from the initial launch of the Romulan faction, but thankfully they got so much backlash from the community that they decided against it. Now they're trying a new approach to adding this stupidity to the game.
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Thank you for underlining the elephant in the room. The New Republic is a survivor that refuses to die. They are a resourceful people who are looking to put away the old ways and build alliances based on friendship and trust. The New Republic is no longer just Romulan, it is also Reman, and they seek to reunify with the Vulcans at some point. Other races, like the Suliban, are also welcome. It doesn't make sense to me that these new Romulans would be so adhered to tradition that they would continue to build every Romulan ship with a singularity core, and would never use a warp core. They have had access to warp cores since day one (T1-4 Fed and KDF ships). I would think that they would reverse engineer one of them, especially since warp cores are more efficient. This is why I feel a new Romulan ship design with a warp core makes a lot of sense in the story of STO.

Let's talk about game play. I think one of the reasons many people don't play as Romulan is because, for a long time, Romulans have been married to singularity cores. IMO, Romulan ships play like escorts with unique abilities. That's fine if you like that sort of thing, but there's been a lack of science ships for Romulans for a long time. It's been my experience that Romulan ships do not tank very well at all, and you cannot play them like regular cruisers. Fed and KDF get to have escorts, sci ships and cruisers. Romulans don't...or didn't. We now have the Silik, the chronos and the temporal sci ship. I am reluctant to mention the "toilet brush" and the temporal raider because they are escorts, not sci ships or cruisers. Then there are the cross faction ships from events, lock boxes and the lobi store. (The temporal ships are cross faction, too.) All of these ships, incuding the tal shiar adapted ships, have the same problem: none of them look Romulan. These are not Romulan ships. They are ships that a Romulan player can use, but none of them are Romulan ships. The addition of Fed and KDF T5-6 ships will help with the singularity core/game play problem, and I think we will see more Romulan players now, however...

I am still hoping for a ship that looks Romulan and plays like a real cruiser. It doesn't have to be the best in the game, it just has to work. As runlevelzer0 said, the singularity abilities are not worth the lost power levels. To me, flying a singularity core ship is like flying a ship that only fights enemies that are all equipped with something better than a plasmonic leach. It will be up to the devs to decide if those of us who want a Romulan cruiser with a warp core will get one or not. But to those of you who, for some arcane reason, are opposed to the devs providing something that at least some of us want...if the devs do give us this, then don't use it.
    PS, to the person who thinks they know what I want for a bridge crew, let me clear up your misconception. I want my Romulan crew to have Tovan, Satra, and a mix of races. I don't know why that matters in a discussion about warp cores, but at least that is cleared up now.
    You lost me on the "many people don't play Romulans". My fleet is exclusively Romulan (not the hippy D'Tan Republic minority movement) If you want a warp core so bad play Fed ship. I don't know why players have the need to Federationfy every faction they see. Most players probably don't bother because they expected to be playing the true RSE third faction and not a half assed diluted Rebel Alliance faction that wants to be subservient to every race in the known universe, including the ferengi while throwing aside their culture heritage and way of life that made them Romulan in favour of being assimilated by others.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    So this should mean the end of the 3 faction ship bundles going forward I hope... no real reason to buy all 3 factions anymore unless you want more AS cards. Frankly imo they should all be "Alliance ships" and only 1 faction.
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    So this should mean the end of the 3 faction ship bundles going forward I hope... no real reason to buy all 3 factions anymore unless you want more AS cards. Frankly imo they should all be "Alliance ships" and only 1 faction.
    I hope not. I like unique faction indenity even in its limiting form. If they became all Fed alliance ships I'd be done.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
This discussion has been closed.