test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best plasma build

someperson22someperson22 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
I play as a torpedo boat and I want to try something different. I just bought the 31st century ship pack and I'm using the temporal raider. What type of plasma should I use? Which type has the highest dps?

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    My previous post got eaten by the forum so i will summarize:
    - Romulan Plasma takes the cake for raw DPS due to the damage resistance proc.
    - Isolytic Plasma for Science builds
    - Dranuur Fleet weapons if you want a bit of additional healing.

Make sure you use the Romulan reputation 3-piece and the Plasma Wave Console
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Console_-_Universal_-_Plasma_Wave
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    Corrosive Pla have the Dis proc as well but doesn't sacrifice a Mod for it like the RomPla.

Plasmatics are useful if you use Grav Well on the Raider.

But I am impressed by vanilla Pla with Pen.

I don't usually use Pla on the Raider (I see better results with AP) but on the one or two toons that I do it's two Corrosive (1 DBB, 1 Array in rear), the Pla Omni and the rest vanilla DBB's with Pen.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • someperson22someperson22 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    > @questerius said:
    > My previous post got eaten by the forum so i will summarize:
    > - Romulan Plasma takes the cake for raw DPS due to the damage resistance proc.
    > - Isolytic Plasma for Science builds
    > - Dranuur Fleet weapons if you want a bit of additional healing.
    >
    > Make sure you use the Romulan reputation 3-piece and the Plasma Wave Console
    > https://sto.gamepedia.com/Console_-_Universal_-_Plasma_Wave

Thanks I think I can get that console now actually

> @rezking said:
    > Corrosive Pla have the Dis proc as well but doesn't sacrifice a Mod for it like the RomPla.
    >
    > Plasmatics are useful if you use Grav Well on the Raider.
    >
    > But I am impressed by vanilla Pla with Pen.
    >
    > I don't usually use Pla on the Raider (I see better results with AP) but on the one or two toons that I do it's two Corrosive (1 DBB, 1 Array in rear), the Pla Omni and the rest vanilla DBB's with Pen.

About the better results with AP I own 5 AP fleet consoles with crit severity. I was thinking plasma because of the burn damage it does overtime and if I had fleet plasma consoles as well I thought the plasma burn would be more deadly as well as normal damage over that.
    Oh and what are your thoughts on crafted weapons as well?
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Crafted weapons have the advantage of the [Pen] mod and they're easier to get to UR and epic, which goes for all damage types. As for the plasma burn, it's kinda bad. The damage is barely noticeable on high hp targets and the small fry dies before it can actually make a difference. Hate to say it but the plasma burn is one of the worst procs we have, not the absolute bottom but pretty far down the list. Which is a shame because I really like most plasma types for their colors and sounds.

Also there's the council defense pact set from the lobi store and I'm pretty sure that torp also gets boosted by +plasma energy stuff unlike the normal plasma torps.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

May I ask what you're basing that on? Because all testing I have seen shows the exact opposite. Romulan Plasma is actually one of the worst items in all of STO since they sacrifice one modifier for a Proc that does little compared to the cost of the lost modifier.

No one I know that runs plasma uses Romulan Plasma. My one character that runs plasma just uses Crafted, but the Elite Fleet beams are also pretty solid. Pretty much anything but Romulan Plasma, unless there is some documentation otherwise, I would avoid it at all costs.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User

May I ask what you're basing that on? Because all testing I have seen shows the exact opposite. Romulan Plasma is actually one of the worst items in all of STO since they sacrifice one modifier for a Proc that does little compared to the cost of the lost modifier.

No one I know that runs plasma uses Romulan Plasma. My one character that runs plasma just uses Crafted, but the Elite Fleet beams are also pretty solid. Pretty much anything but Romulan Plasma, unless there is some documentation otherwise, I would avoid it at all costs.
    Funny how thing change over time. Romplas CtrDx2 used to be pretty darned good. Not so much any more.
    protoneous wrote: »

Funny how thing change over time. Romplas CtrDx2 used to be pretty darned good. Not so much any more.

Generally time hasn't been kind to plasma. Pha & Dis got some really great sets, AP got a ton of individual goodies, Pol & Tet got some stuff but nothing major but plasma has been left in the dust.
    Especially nowadays Romplas is basically a gimped disruptor because a valueable mod is replaced with a unreliable and weak dot.
    protoneous wrote: »

Generally time hasn't been kind to plasma. Pha & Dis got some really great sets, AP got a ton of individual goodies, Pol & Tet got some stuff but nothing major but plasma has been left in the dust.
    Especially nowadays Romplas is basically a gimped disruptor because a valueable mod is replaced with a unreliable and weak dot.

This.

Unfortunately, Power creep left Plasma behind quite a while ago.

Not saying Plasma isn't viable, of course it is.. but it doesn't get as many boosts as other energy types. Not sure why Plasma has been so neglected, I have to assume it wasn't intentional. Nonetheless, it's still been left far behind.

It's based upon the disruptor proc.
    Given the choice crafted gear is preferable, but RomPla is decent and for DPS preferable above other current plasma variants.

Again, crafted is top dog but that got lost in the summary.
    Plasma has been left behind compared to disruptor, AP and phaser but for canon builds it is still viable.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    It's based upon the disruptor proc.

The disruptor proc is nice and all, but hardly worth sacrificing a mod for, especially considering it's only a 2.5% chance.

Personal taste will vary, but Fleet Beams for example are a much better bet over Romulan Plasma. If you get the [Dmg]x3 [CrtD] variant, you get 4 good mods and they are Ultra Rare quality right from the store. In my experience, these are 2nd down from crafted PEN plasma beams. If you upgrade them on an upgrade weekend, you can push them to Mark XIV for dirt cheap and they're only slightly worse then top of the line crafted.

Also, I don't know if it was ever changed.. but reputation items that come at Mark XII purple are insanely expensive to upgrade, especially if you are trying to improve rarity. I haven't done one recently, but I recall they cost an insane amount of tech points to upgrade.

The only time I can really see Romulan Plasma being a good option is if you aren't in a fleet, don't have a high enough crafting level, and have free ones that you got from opening hourly/daily reputation boxes. Even then, I would only use them until you were able to get any other type of Plasma Beam.

I don't mean to say they're unusable or anything like that, just that it's very easy to get something better. I have heard of people still using Romulan Plasma and being happy with them, but personally I wouldn't touch em. :)
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Corrosive Plasma, Caustic Plasma(if you play a rommy toon) are ones I prefer over Romulan Plasma, except for the reputation specific set. I don't have a lot of experience with the other specialty flavors, to give feedback on them.
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    Corrosive Plasma, Caustic Plasma(if you play a rommy toon) are ones I prefer over Romulan Plasma, except for the reputation specific set. I don't have a lot of experience with the other specialty flavors, to give feedback on them.

Corrosive looks interesting, but honestly i cannot bring myself to spend 600 Lobi on a set.
    I like torpedo and mine layer builds, but 600 Lobi is way too much.

Caustic Plasma.. well millage may vary, but personally i never found a use for it.
    Tested it, but it soon made its way into the grinder.

Corrosive looks interesting, but honestly i cannot bring myself to spend 600 Lobi on a set.

Caustic Plasma.. well millage may vary, but personally i never found a use for it.

Cryptic charges way too much for lobi items I'm not sure if anything in there is actually worth those prices. I think the whole idea of lobi is just a scam. There might be better items elsewhere.
    Caustic looks nice but it has a mk and quality problem. Rare mk XI is a pretty bad spot to start upgrading.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    ichaerus1 wrote: »

Keep away from the Corrosive torpedo and mine as they are terrible along with the other tethered lobi mine. If I recall correctly while a normal plasma torpedo has a 100% hit chance for the DoT the Corrosive is 10% and if that wasn't bad enough the Dot on the Corrosive is tiny and useless compared to normal plasma DoT. Its like a double nerf making it practically worthless.

The mine is no better as you only drop 1 instead or 4 so on average you end up doing over 300% less damage then normal plasma mines. Its the same problem with the Q tethered lobi mine it only drops 2 mines instead of 4 so even with extra hits it ends up doing half the damage of basic mines.

It comes down to paying a lot of lobi for items that are massively worse then basic items.