test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Voth Fortress in The Breach is Ridiculous

Seriously. Huge. This thing disrupts local gravity. Please tell me the map was originally meant for shuttles.

Comments

• Options
    newnjanewnja Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    I agree, it doesn't look realistic, not even a little.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    No, it's the size it's supposed to be.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Seems fine to me, it's kinda nice to be able to blow a hole in to a ship that basically gobbled up Voyager and go all pew pew inside it.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Same size it was on the show

The city ship seen on the show? it's a Citadel dreadnought.

The ship in the breach is many times larger and likely to be their only one or one of a very few fortress ships in existence.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User
    Dinosaurs have to fit in there. It has to be huge ;)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    tenor.gif
    ^ me doing a barrel roll out of an exploding Fortress ship while flying a cruiser.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    What's really ridiculous is the boss is a giant dilithium crystal, presumably refined, and we can't steal any of it after blowing it to pieces! :D
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    What's really ridiculous is the boss is a giant dilithium crystal, presumably refined, and we can't steal any of it after blowing it to pieces! :D

Sure we can! We salvage...480-960 or so whenever we complete a run...
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Here is the article on the official Star Trek website.

In the second picture, you can clearly see Voyager inside the ship.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    scififan78 wrote: »
    Here is the article on the official Star Trek website.

In the second picture, you can clearly see Voyager inside the ship.
    So?

We're not talking about that ship. That ship is what Cryptic named the Citadel dreadnought.

The fortress is a Cryptic original.
  • Options
    Um... look at those picture again. They look NOTHING like either the Citadel or the Fortress ship. Also it is listed at only 11 kilometers long. The Fortress Ship is clearly MUCH larger. The closest match would be the Citadel Dreads. But that is certainly not either one.

320x240.jpg
    vs
    800px-VothCitadelDreadnought.jpg?version=b95d5c5628d58ef140b562c1766217d3

Voth_Fortress_Ship_size_comparison.jpg?version=2c54c85fb8b806ee13e6e33ebeb7e165

Note the Cube there for reference on the Fortress...

All we know for certain... is that the Voth like to build BIG. Which is fine. They're an ancient species, they have the technical knowhow to build big. Hell... that Fortress Ship is probably a step towards their own Dyson Sphere.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    nice to see my pet hate has been further reinforced today on this thread by people not looking at previous responses on the matter before commenting.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Um... look at those picture again. They look NOTHING like either the Citadel or the Fortress ship. Also it is listed at only 11 kilometers long. The Fortress Ship is clearly MUCH larger. The closest match would be the Citadel Dreads. But that is certainly not either one.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Voth_city_ship and it is exactly the same ship. I think you are confusing Cryptic's silly scaling of ships with what they should look like.

if it were to scale none of starfleet's ships would come close to matching it in size, and would be dwarfed in size.
    320x240.jpg

what am i looking at here to point to your reference? it looks like the station on the border of the the Nekrit expanse and small ship docking, and i can't make out what it is.
  • Options
    The only Voth ship in that picture is the Research vessel, AKA Palisade Frigate/Science Vessel.

The guy was saying that its the City Ship based on the pictures provided in his link. I admit my Voyager history is a bit rusty and didn't recognize that station as a station, but either way I'm right. It looks nothing like either the City Ship/Citadel or the Fortress I brought up.
  • Options
    The only Voth ship in that picture is the Research vessel, AKA Palisade Frigate/Science Vessel.

The guy was saying that its the City Ship based on the pictures provided in his link. I admit my Voyager history is a bit rusty and didn't recognize that station as a station, but either way I'm right. It looks nothing like either the City Ship/Citadel or the Fortress I brought up.

this didn't make much sense until i realized you meant scfifan's response. after looking up the picture, the second picture fits the city ship but it looks heavily edited from the distant origin episode. and the former picture is the one you are going on about. Looks like person who put that stuff on Star Trek is getting bad information and equally bad pictures.
  • Options
    I didn't post the pictures on the Star Trek website and I did clearly point out the second picture.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    The Voth Fortress looks like a giant gun.
  • Options
    I didn't post the pictures on the Star Trek website and I did clearly point out the second picture.

Which only shows the interior. And based on that screenshot... the Devs did a good job with the interior of the Fortress ship.
  • Options
    kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    What is funny is outside the Citadel ship, Voyager is bigger than the what the interior scale should be is shown in the episode. It's one of those things about Star Trek that is shared quite well in STO....
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    tenor.gif
    ^ me doing a barrel roll out of an exploding Fortress ship while flying a cruiser.

That's also what comes to mind for me when flying out of the Voth city ship! XD When running with friends, I usually call it "Doing a Lando!"

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    newnja wrote: »
    I agree, it doesn't look realistic, not even a little.
    In a franchise with FTL space travel, solid thick Dyson Spheres, time travels, space mushroom network breaking space-time laws, black holes creating new separate timelines, space dinosaurs coming from Earth and alien-human hybrids, I'd say a 130km ship is closer to "hard science-fiction" on the Mohs Scale Of Science-Fiction Hardness than the rest.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > crashdragon wrote: »
    >
    > Heck, even V'ger's ship was only seventy-eight kilometers (forty-eight miles) long.
    >
    >
    >
    > No it wasn't, the V'ger ship was
    > http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/V'ger
    > In the original theatrical release of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, the V'ger energy cloud is given a size measuring eighty-two au in diameter, in dialogue from the Epsilon IX commander, Branch. That measurement is equivalent to over 1.2271×1010 kilometers or 0.001 light years. Placing V'ger at the same central position as the sun would mean that the energy cloud would extend beyond the Kuiper belt, extending into the orbit of Eris, and essentially swallowing our entire solar system. For the later-released Directors' Edition DVD of the film, the cloud size was drastically scaled down to two au, which is the distance between Sol and a point between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.

Or twice the distance between Sol and Earth
  • Options
    This whole thread is heresy against doctrine.

To question the scale of our greatest constructions * is to spit upon our ancestors, denying their (literal) greatness. We are huge, we deserve huge ships and fortresses. Anyone questioning this fact is insulting not just our very physicial forms of existence, but also the greatest architects and technical minds we have amongst our species.

I will not tell you to feel ashamed; a Voth should never be ashamed of anything - but he should critically reflect upon his behaviour and ask himself why he would want to defile our culture and its achievements.

* (which had to begin eons ago, something you could check if only you had access to some records besides the ones that are closely guarded by us, the Ministry)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    Oh, and besides all that: the bridge is inside the ship. It also has to fit in there, making it only logical that the Fortress is huge.

(I wonder how many people remember that wonderful thread ;) )

• Options
    smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    This whole thread is heresy against doctrine.

To question the scale of our greatest constructions * is to spit upon our ancestors, denying their (literal) greatness. We are huge, we deserve huge ships and fortresses. Anyone questioning this fact is insulting not just our very physicial forms of existence, but also the greatest architects and technical minds we have amongst our species.

I will not tell you to feel ashamed; a Voth should never be ashamed of anything - but he should critically reflect upon his behaviour and ask himself why he would want to defile our culture and its achievements.

* (which had to begin eons ago, something you could check if only you had access to some records besides the ones that are closely guarded by us, the Ministry)

I get the necessity for size, but why the big automatic doors that allow multiple starships easy access to your vessel's tender innards? And why do those doors keep working when the ship is suffering from diminished power?
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    most ships tend to carry backup power generation in case the main source is disabled - i would assume that's why the doors are still able to function after the primary core and sub core is destroyed​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    I get the necessity for size, but why the big automatic doors that allow multiple starships easy access to your vessel's tender innards? And why do those doors keep working when the ship is suffering from diminished power?

Because the Voth City Ship is equipped with the ever powerful [Plot Hole Console MkXX]

JK....lol

I agree with the thought of emergency power generation. Last thing they would want would be for their ships to get trapped inside in the event of failure. Though, why they operate for enemy ships is questionable.
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited May 2018

Because the Voth City Ship is equipped with the ever powerful [Plot Hole Console MkXX]

JK....lol

I agree with the thought of emergency power generation. Last thing they would want would be for their ships to get trapped inside in the event of failure. Though, why they operate for enemy ships is questionable.

Either they assumed no-one would be attempt to board the ship that way (if at all) and built it with door sensors unable to discriminate between ships or they were damaged in the inital attack.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif