test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread for Increasing the Level Cap to 65

coldsnappedcoldsnapped Member Posts: 520 Cryptic Developer
Please use this thread to post feedback and issues found with the level cap increase to 65.

Level Cap Increase to 65:
  • The level cap has been increased for all players to level 65.
  • When this update goes live, all players will be set to the beginning of level 60 progression in the Skillpoints bar.
    • Every character which is level 60 will receive 1 Specialization point to make up for any progress that may have been made beyond level 60.
  • Also included are new rewards per level upgrade.
  • This is still a work in progress.
  • For more details, please visit the Level Cap Increase Blog at: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10878744-star-trek-online's-level-cap-increases-to-65

Comments

• sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2018
    The Special Requisition Pack - Bridge Officer Specialization Manual is unopenable.
    In addition, the level up rewards do not actually grant what they say they do.
    E.g. When you claim the Elite Duty Officers, you actually get another BOFF Spec Manual box. The only reward that is actually granted is the extra Space ability as well as the Admiralty Card.

C.U.V. Tain doesn't have any text attached to it, making it the only Hero ship without flavor text.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The new Captain abilities seem kinda like stuff that we already had, in some cases on a different character class, the Tactical's ability seems like a variation on Sensor Scan. The Engineering one seems particularly uninteresting, it's a way to moderately impact foes powers while buffing your own - basically an AoE energy siphon? But Engineers are really the last class that need or could benefit from higher power levels.

But I haven't tested their performance yet, just looked at the description basically.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    What ships will be available with the token at Level 61? Will it be all T5 ships, or just the ones available with the 600 day Veteran reward?
  • shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    Should the Cardasian characters be getting auto-promoted as well as existing characters? I just created one and started out as an ensign. No biggie, just curious.
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    The new Captain abilities seem kinda like stuff that we already had, in some cases on a different character class, the Tactical's ability seems like a variation on Sensor Scan. The Engineering one seems particularly uninteresting, it's a way to moderately impact foes powers while buffing your own - basically an AoE energy siphon? But Engineers are really the last class that need or could benefit from higher power levels.

But I haven't tested their performance yet, just looked at the description basically.

I' m going to have to parrot his statement. I too haven't played with all of them yet but their tool tips are not giving me the feeling of both theme or useful to said classes.

Engineers don't need more power, they have a power ability, a shield resistance ability, drain resistance. A offensive buff or a enemy defensive debuff would be more interesting and useful. I could see the offensive buff be some augmentation of the weapon systems/deflector systems. If a debuff I could see some siphon of structural integrity field ..

Tactical don't need more defense debuffs especially one too similar sensor scan a science captain ability. A defensive maneuver might be more interesting, or a utility ability. Defensive maneuver I could see give you more agility and avoidance? Utility maybe resistance to CC.

Science is a little more interesting, but I still think they need a offensive buff maybe something that allows them to channel exotic particles into weapon systems, which gives your weapons a chance to unleash a effect depending on the weapon type ?
    Post edited by cryptkeeper0 on
  • stormstryke2stormstryke2 Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    The Special Requisition Pack - Bridge Officer Specialization Manual is unopenable.
    In addition, the level up rewards do not actually grant what they say they do.
    E.g. When you claim the Elite Duty Officers, you actually get another BOFF Spec Manual box. The only reward that is actually granted is the extra Space ability as well as the Admiralty Card.

C.U.V. Tain doesn't have any text attached to it, making it the only Hero ship without flavor text.

Came to say this very thing.
  • andreasn2andreasn2 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    Should the Cardasian characters be getting auto-promoted as well as existing characters? I just created one and started out as an ensign. No biggie, just curious.

there should be XP Boxes in drozana, idk if it's in this current build since i'm not a lifetime member but when i have been able to play before it's had xp boxes there in the test console, try checking there
  • shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    andreasn2 wrote: »

there should be XP Boxes in drozana, idk if it's in this current build since i'm not a lifetime member but when i have been able to play before it's had xp boxes there in the test console, try checking there

Will do, thanks!
  • dukedom01dukedom01 Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    I would like to point out that the whole jem'hadar chars come preskilled with a free respec attached is highly volatile as long as respecs draw from the account tokens first before checking the personal tokens.

What good is a free respec if it consumes the tokens someone bought with the elite starter pack first?
    Ceterum censeo Otha supplendum in praemiis.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I must admit, the new Captain abilities really don't inspire me to try them out. They just seem uninspired to me and lack something that makes me think "this is cool".

The only good one is the Tactical one, by the looks of it. It steals the Science Captain's Sensor Scan, making Tactical being once again superior at DPS, and leaving the Engineer and Science Captain behind. But since it's just stealing an already existing class power, it's also really boring.

The Engineers ability feels like it is too redundant with the power buffs and drain negation it has already access to. The ability to drain other ships also feels more like something that is more associated with science.
    The only good thing is that it has a small offense-oriented component, something the Engineer is really lacking in. Unfortunately, it's really tiny and likely only to matter on dedicated drain builds.

The Science Captain's ability just feels weird. A lot of technobabble to get a heal-from-damage ability that no one really needs, because NPCs are already too ineffective at dealing damage, and the duration is probably too short to matter in PvP.

Some random ideas.

Tactical Captains still deserve a fun power, but they shouldn't get yet something else that buffs their damage output. Buff their defenses or mobility, maybe not just theirs, but also that of their team mates. Or help them debuff the enemies to help everyone.

Tactical Suppression (Tactical Captain)
    You focus your attacks to hinder your enemies mobility and firepower.
    For 15 seconds, all your attacks (and maybe those of your allies) inflict a 50 % flight speed strength, turn rate strength and speed debuff that lasts for 5 seconds. Repeated applications extend the duration.

Tactical Support (Tactical Captain)
    You provide tactical support to get your allies out of trouble.
    Targets you or an ally. For the next 15 seconds, the target gains an increasing flight speed strength, turn rate strength buff and defense rating buff, and also automatically redistributes shield power. When the duration expires or you end the power manually, all allies within 10 km of the target dispel and become immune to slows, holds and stuns for 5 seconds.

Engineers needs something that helps offensively, because their existing powers are relatively defense oriented and only indirectly can help their attacks.

Aceton Assimilation Field (Engineering Captain)
    For 15 seconds, you create an aceton assimilation field around your ship. Each time an enemy within the field makes an energy attack, all enemies in the field gain 5 % of the attacks damage.
    (This ability does not hit mines, pets or heavy projectiles).

Engineering Support (Engineering Captain)
    Targets you or an ally. For the next 15 seconds, the target gains an increasing hull heal over time and an increase to the recharge speed of all bridge officer powers. When the ability expires or you deactive the power manually, all allies within 10 km of the target gain a moderate hull heal and remove any engineering debuffs or subsystem disables.

Science Captains could probably also benefit from some offense oriented buffs, but might also do with some support for allies.

Subnucleonic Feedback Field Injection (Science Captain)
    You inject the enemies shield grid with exotic subnucleonic particles, causing it to generate feedback whenever the ship generates strong energy fields.
    For the next 15 seconds, every time the enemy makes an attack or activates a power, the enemy takes X damage. This effect cannot occur more than once per second.

Science Support (Science Captain)
    Targets yourself or an ally. For the next 15 seconds, all your allies gan an increasing shield heal over time and gain a bonus to shield and armor penetration and stealth perception. When the power expires or you end it manually, all allies within 10 km of the ability cleanse all science debuffs and hazards and receive a moderate shield heal.

Deep Sensor Scan (Science Captain)
    For the next 15 seconds, you perform a deep sensor scan on an enemy target to continually scan it for weaknesses. While the target is range, you and and your allies gain an increasing buff to shield penetration and armor penetration and all your weapon attacks have a chance to knock a random subsystem offline for 10 seconds. This chance is higher for torpedoes then for energy weapons.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • jabofneurospinejabofneurospine Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    The level 61 tier 5 ship token is a great addition which honestly should probably be at level 50. It does however give a confusing message about acquiring an additional admiralty ship when acquired and doesn't have any documentation in game as to what ships it might allow you to acquire. As such, this one's probably going to cause a great deal of confusion. I was pleased to find that contrary to some complaints elsewhere in the forums jem'hadar, while not possessing any free t5 ships of their own, may in fact claim those of their allied faction. Additionally, there is no way to upgrade the acquired ship to t5-u as far as I can tell. (tried fed, fed-jem, and kdf-rom)

The level 62 qualification manuals aren't really a major addition, but they do work exactly as expected without any issues.

The level 64 duty officer pack is nice as well, nothing major, but it works.

The level 65 admiralty ship is a nice addition to one's admiralty fleet. It's even gotten it's flavor text since the above comments.

As for the level 63 captain abilities...

The tactical one is simply a worse sensor scan. It's effective and uninteresting, in line with the other tactical abilities.

The engineering one seems decent. It increases your power levels, but you have plenty of power level increases as engineer. It does also decrease your foe's power levels and increases your own damage. It's got a reasonably small area of effect, but it seems reasonable given the effects.

The science one... I'm not so sure about. It sounds like a decent idea on paper, turn enemy damage into healing. In practice it seems almost entirely useless. Between the extremely short duration, the short range of the ability, and the small amount of healing it gives under most circumstances I'd rate it as almost completely useless. My first thoughts where that it would be terrible, except against the hur'q, but after trying that it still isn't useful. Oh, and it only works on energy weapons.

Overall The new abilities all seam pretty weak, I suspect this is by design and overall with the exception of the science one I believe they're pretty much fine. (assuming they're supposed to be relatively weak compared to the other captain abilities) As for the science one, I think the base idea isn't bad, maybe if it had better range, or was a targeted aoe, or maybe if it was single target and propagated like nanoprobe infestation. Of course, the it already can be quite situationally useful and it is possible that with time the community may find good uses for it.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @jabofneurospine said:
    > The level 61 tier 5 ship token is a great addition which honestly should probably be at level 50. It does however give a confusing message about acquiring an additional admiralty ship when acquired and doesn't have any documentation in game as to what ships it might allow you to acquire. As such, this one's probably going to cause a great deal of confusion. I was pleased to find that contrary to some complaints elsewhere in the forums jem'hadar, while not possessing any free t5 ships of their own, may in fact claim those of their allied faction. Additionally, there is no way to upgrade the acquired ship to t5-u as far as I can tell. (tried fed, fed-jem, and kdf-rom)
    >
    > The level 62 qualification manuals aren't really a major addition, but they do work exactly as expected without any issues.
    >
    > The level 64 duty officer pack is nice as well, nothing major, but it works.
    >
    > The level 65 admiralty ship is a nice addition to one's admiralty fleet. It's even gotten it's flavor text since the above comments.
    >
    > As for the level 63 captain abilities...
    >
    > The tactical one is simply a worse sensor scan. It's effective and uninteresting, in line with the other tactical abilities.
    >
    > The engineering one seems decent. It increases your power levels, but you have plenty of power level increases as engineer. It does also decrease your foe's power levels and increases your own damage. It's got a reasonably small area of effect, but it seems reasonable given the effects.
    >
    > The science one... I'm not so sure about. It sounds like a decent idea on paper, turn enemy damage into healing. In practice it seems almost entirely useless. Between the extremely short duration, the short range of the ability, and the small amount of healing it gives under most circumstances I'd rate it as almost completely useless. My first thoughts where that it would be terrible, except against the hur'q, but after trying that it still isn't useful. Oh, and it only works on energy weapons.
    >
    > Overall The new abilities all seam pretty weak, I suspect this is by design and overall with the exception of the science one I believe they're pretty much fine. (assuming they're supposed to be relatively weak compared to the other captain abilities) As for the science one, I think the base idea isn't bad, maybe if it had better range, or was a targeted aoe, or maybe if it was single target and propagated like nanoprobe infestation. Of course, the it already can be quite situationally useful and it is possible that with time the community may find good uses for it.

Boost the duration of the science power to 15-20 seconds maybe?
  • dukedom01dukedom01 Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    May I suggest a mandatory 'A Step Between Stars' replay for the whole production team with level 65 characters?

This mission already was in the category 'has not aged well' but with the new level cap that escalated slightly.
    Ceterum censeo Otha supplendum in praemiis.