test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone else letdown by the new expansion?

Comments

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    So far it sounds meh at best. VERY limited faction that has one race to choose from and 6 episodes... Oh boy...

Sounds very much akin to "Agents of Yesterday" - which seems to be their new Expansion standard FWIW.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »
    arionisa wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else, but I am extremely disappointed with Season 16...

Oh, yeah, Season 16 is just the worst!
    :D:p:D:p:D
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Whenever Cryptic invalidates ALL your equipment/makes it drastically subpar (and no, that's no exaggeration, but in fact literally what they're doing), there are always ppl telling me "You really don't need the best gear!" Or "Everything can be done in a T1 Connie!" But you're all missing the point: I already HAD all the best gear, and in a month or so, I no longer will. We're not talking a small nerf here: we're talking about a global, and drastic nerf of everything! Way worse than Season 13.

By Orelius' scales, not this again. :weary: That's actually called progression. I don't understand the mindset of coming into an online MMORPG and expecting your gear to have unlimited and indefinite usefulness in any and every new content. It's basically in every MMO out there.
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Let me spell it out for you. For a space wep, from XIII to XIV, was double the cost, to 160,000 Upgrade experience. So, making the logical inference that going to the next Tier will now cost 320,000 per weapon, times 4-10 weps per type (DBB's/DHC's), including 5 Locators per type, and a few Exploiters, plus all my major consoles, we're looking at a total financial disaster here. But stay in denial all you want.

You mean you actually have to play the game? :flushed: Who would have thought! The horror! :wink::lol:
    I mean, I'm sorry about my somewhat harsh reaction to this, but the way you put the words like "financial disaster", "you're in denial" really comes of as if someone is putting a gun to your head to play and you're not enjoying the game for what it is. We play the game, we play the new expansion, we accumulate wealth, we accumulate resources, we use them to upgrade our gear. Will I have everything maxed-out on day 1? No. But it helps me set goals and gives me something to work with. Eventually I will, and eventually you will too, just like last time. By simply playing the game, which I assume is the main reason we're all here.

I kinda agree. If the idea of having to play the game to earn more resources to improve your gear bothers you, maybe you really don't like playing the game, and you should consider acting accordingly.

And make no mistake - all that "grind" to get the newest, best gear. That is an essential part of every MMO. It is how they stay alive, how they manipulate you into playing them a lot and keep paying for a subscription, or keep spending money on their in-game shop, or keep interacting with people in the game so they keep subscribed or spending their money on the game.
    It will never stop, unless the game stops entirely.
    If you believe you will ever be "done" with your character - no, you won't. Cryptic will always put something new in the game that you will want and need to play the game for, because if they don't, the game is over.

If you can't stand this idea, and you need maxed characters and maxed gear and maxed every game subsystem, it might be better to just stop playing the game for good. If you can live with non-maxed characters, maybe you can keep playing, but focus on the aspects you prefer (like only playing for a new story mission or a new queue, or when your fleet is running some events, or when a good friend or family member is also able to play.)

Wait.. Waiit.. you don't have to play the game to max anything here. Get to level 11, doff your way to 52, doff/adm your way to max level. While you're doing this, be sure to maintain the Exploration and Science doff scans, the Experimental Engineering ones, and the Resource rewards from Admiralty. With salvaging, resource gain is quick and easy. You can even stand at your local armor vendor and buy all the R&D mats and salvage that you want. Other than marks, there are 4 reasons to play any other part of the game. Zero. Ziltch. Nothing. Nada. Those are the four reasons one has to anything other than what I just said.

So no, there is really no reason to play any part of the game, outside of what marks you need.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    trennan wrote: »

Wait.. Waiit.. you don't have to play the game to max anything here. Get to level 11, doff your way to 52, doff/adm your way to max level. While you're doing this, be sure to maintain the Exploration and Science doff scans, the Experimental Engineering ones, and the Resource rewards from Admiralty. With salvaging, resource gain is quick and easy. You can even stand at your local armor vendor and buy all the R&D mats and salvage that you want. Other than marks, there are 4 reasons to play any other part of the game. Zero. Ziltch. Nothing. Nada. Those are the four reasons one has to anything other than what I just said.

So no, there is really no reason to play any part of the game, outside of what marks you need.
    ^^^
    Um, sorry, but all that you described IS playing the game. Most MMOs don't require you to play every aspect of the game, but the put enough systems/mechanics in the game that someone finds something then like to do (be it just Doffing, whatever.)

If you log in and make use of a system/game mechanic, you ARE playing the game.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »

^^^
    Um, sorry, but all that you described IS playing the game. Most MMOs don't require you to play every aspect of the game, but the put enough systems/mechanics in the game that someone finds something then like to do (be it just Doffing, whatever.)

If you log in and make use of a system/game mechanic, you ARE playing the game.

Yeah.. Star Farmville. But, that's how they have the game set up.

1) Login
    2) Doff/Adm
    3) Alt
    4) Rinse and Repeat.
    5) Never worry about EC, Dil, and R&D mats ever again.

Marks, meh, just wait until events, like the upcoming Lohlunat, and do the mark farming aspect of it on all alts. Outside of hitting level 11, that's all you have to do to get anything end game. Which means, there is very little of the game to play. The PvE outside of that.. meh.. it's there. But other than using it to reach level 11. It's a waste of time to bother with.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    Not let down but I do very much hope they will let us be a Vorta.

Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    STO definition of 'expansion': A reason to sell a $130 ship/character pack.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > -New playable races
    > -New levels
    > -New ships
    > -New sector space
    > -New galactic battlezone
    > -DS9 revamp
    > -10+ actors from the TV shows
    >
    > What am I supposed to be let down by again?

New episodes
    And probably some other new stuff, I'd be shocked if there isn't a Dominion Rep (which I think will unlocked Vorta race), the6 mentioned some kind of progression system too.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    -New playable races
    -New levels
    -New ships
    -New sector space
    -New galactic battlezone
    -DS9 revamp
    -10+ actors from the TV shows

What am I supposed to be let down by again?

Bit early yet to suggest if it will be good or bad. i'd tend to accept an opinion on the subject a week after release because there is just no way of knowing until it all settles into place with the playerbase.
    bwleon7 wrote: »
    Not let down but I do very much hope they will let us be a Vorta.

It is a "Jem'Hadar" faction, not a "Vorta" faction.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jiralinriajiralinria Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Nope, not at all! Can't wait!!!
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    No. Not let down at all. Reasons?
    - I do not allow myself to get carried away by by wild speculation based upon the limited information released so far.
    - It is not June yet.
    - I do not expect Cryptic to run everything they do past me for my approval before they release it.
    - I fully realize the STO Cryptic makes will not ever equal or exceed the STO I want to play . The one inside my head.
    - I'm too damned old to play the "Woe is me! I'm too cool for all of you!" game on the InterWebz.
    - Besides, I'd look silly playing the role of Star Trek or MMO hipster.
    - I'm not that self absorbed or concerned over how important the rest of the world ought to view me as.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    It's more than likely that they are referring to what has been revealed rather than what has been experienced, you can't really experience anything yet.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I think I see the "problem" here. Based on what has been posted in this thread, some people "play" this game for the sole purpose of hitting max level and having maxed gear. They care little or nothing about actual game play, their sole focus is maxing level and gear with the minimum amount of effort. For those, yes, the expansion will likely be a total let down as they are no longer max level and no longer have maxed gear, which means they will now be required to put forth some effort (or money) to get back to that point.

Then there are those that play the game because they happen to love Start trek and also love gaming. Higher level characters and higher grade gear only matters if their current levels are not sufficient to face the enemies encountered while playing. For those players MK whatever Epic/Super/Insta kill gear is not only not a requirement, but is actually detrimental to their enjoyment of the game as it changes it from actually playing the game to nothing more than an interactive story where you occasionally have to mash your space bar. Since all mission content can be handled with ships and gear received free just by actually playing the missions, new ships, higher max gear levels etc mean little. New missions to play are what they want. For those, the new expansion will hopefully be great as they get new missions with a lot of (hopefully) quality voice work from a lot of the original actors.

Of course the majority are somewhere in between those extremes. Me, I'm the second type, I have a lot of alts but only one of them has mostly (account bound) epic gear, and that is only so that I can run STFs without having to worry too much about getting an AFK penalty if I end up in there with some uber DPSers. The rest of them do have T6 ships (why not, they are account unlocks) other than my Siggy toon who runs a T5U, but are equipped with mostly MK XII VR gear, with some MK XIII UR thanks to my ToS toon. They don't insta kill much of anything and some of the tougher NPCs can be a bit difficult, which means they are quite fun as they are more than just a mash-the-spacebar speed bump.

I'm looking forward to the expansion, just as I look forward to any new mission content. Some is good, some not so good, and some is absolutely wonderful, but it is all new, which means that I haven't already played it so many times I could do it in my sleep.

As for my one set of Epic gear, I have a hundred or more Phoenix upgrades in inventory, plus a few Omegas, and even a few Ultimates from key rings. If needed to maintain running STFs without AFK penalties, I am sure I can get that one set of (account bound) gear to max again quite easily.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    YBWyACJ.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    GwaoHAD.png
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I kinda like the whiners about the XV upgrade.... this amuses me... the only content that is even difficult with purple XII is elite queues, Terran BZ, and Tzen BZ(and no one uses that anymore). So all I hear is 'WAAAA MY EPEEN ISNT MAXXED AND .1% OF THE GAME IS SLIGHTLY DIFFICULT!!!!'
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I kinda like the whiners about the XV upgrade.... this amuses me... the only content that is even difficult with purple XII is elite queues, Terran BZ, and Tzen BZ(and no one uses that anymore). So all I hear is 'WAAAA MY EPEEN ISNT MAXXED AND .1% OF THE GAME IS SLIGHTLY DIFFICULT!!!!'

My gripe, if I really cared, would be that Mk XIV already makes the game too easy. I see Youtube vids of players doing 'non-optimal' builds still doing >150k dps.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    thats a more valid complaint imo... nothing more "fun" that queueing up to a RA or something and watching things die before full impulse can even get you there
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @dracounguis said:
    > kodachikuno wrote: »
    >
    > I kinda like the whiners about the XV upgrade.... this amuses me... the only content that is even difficult with purple XII is elite queues, Terran BZ, and Tzen BZ(and no one uses that anymore). So all I hear is 'WAAAA MY EPEEN ISNT MAXXED AND .1% OF THE GAME IS SLIGHTLY DIFFICULT!!!!'
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > My gripe, if I really cared, would be that Mk XIV already makes the game too easy. I see Youtube vids of players doing 'non-optimal' builds still doing >150k dps.

Simple solution, don't use top mark gear if you want more of a challenge. Plus the enemies are going to go up in level as well.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    jsOsIYh.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    So far it sounds meh at best. VERY limited faction that has one race to choose from and 6 episodes... Oh boy...
    I mean... I'm well known for being a skeptic and a doubtful person but the expansion hasn't even come out yet.... come on. If you're gonna complain at least wait until there's literally something to complain about... yeeesh.
    signature.png
  • feralaffferalaff Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    I was very excited at the beginning. Now not anymore.
    I already didn't like the VERY limited choices with AOY.
    This "victory is life" is even more limited.

I don't understand the problem. We could play ANY race and be sent to work together with dominion like a "cooperation officer" ...something like T'Pol did by working with enterprise crew.
    This way the story makes sense, cooperation between dominion and alliance...and we players are not limited.

My jem'hadar character will be used just to unlock bonuses then parked and forgotten.
  • dolfanar#1514 dolfanar Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Honestly they could easily end all the griping with a simple move:

Free upgrade to mk XV for all Epic gear (regardless of current Mark).

It's rare to get Epic before Mark 13 or 14 anyway and often you have to go long past XIV. This wont hurt Cryptic at all and will eliminate the biggest complaint about the new expansion.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited April 2018

It's rare to get Epic before Mark 13 or 14 anyway and often you have to go long past XIV. This wont hurt Cryptic at all and will eliminate the biggest complaint about the new expansion.

That's a bit much, I'd be happier with a basic T6 ship option 10 levels after the T5 ship reward as well as a slight boost to the basic mark gear that drops to like Mk 13 instead of 12 to show some kind of progression in the game over all instead of stagnation at mk12 drops. Basically like how gear increased slowly as one leveled from 1-50. I think changes like that would be more new player friendly and help increase their customer base.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User

Elite queues yes

Kethi BZ, maybe but thats mainly because it's a ghosttown

Terran BZ, is there another tier of the badlands BZ because you don't need higher than mk12 purps unless you're trying to solo all three stations at the end. Which never happens due to its location not being at the TRIBBLE end of space meaning folk turn up.
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »

That's a bit much, I'd be happier with a basic T6 ship option 10 levels after the T5 ship reward as well as a slight boost to the basic mark gear that drops to like Mk 13 instead of 12 to show some kind of progression in the game over all instead of stagnation at mk12 drops. Basically like how gear increased slowly as one leveled from 1-50. I think changes like that would be more new player friendly and help increase their customer base.

Thank you
    I have been saying this about the gear drops too. MK12 gear should be dropped evenly with MK13 now. But asking PWE to do this is digging into their pocket for Dil. and Zen.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    xpan is free... you get what you pay for. i am disappointed in the large ship bundle thou. 6 titles? they make it sound like it is worth something tangible. 3 single use crude 1 mark equipment upgrades... yawn.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I kinda like the whiners about the XV upgrade.... this amuses me...

Of course it does.
    the only content that is even difficult with purple XII is elite queues, Terran BZ, and Tzen BZ(and no one uses that anymore). So all I hear is 'WAAAA MY EPEEN ISNT MAXXED AND .1% OF THE GAME IS SLIGHTLY DIFFICULT!!!!'

There we go again with the "You don't need max gear!" mantra. Thing just is, I *had* max gear; and now, come June, everything will be subpar. I called that a 'financial disaster.' People scoffed. But let's do some rudimentary math, shall we?! A very quick look revealed that I have around 300 Epic items. Upgrading a single wep, from Mk XIV to Mk XV, will cost 320,000 Upgrade XP. Since not every step for every bit of gear will cost the full amount, let's average it out at half: 160,000 Upgrade XP per item. !60,000 x 300 = a whopping 48,000,000 Upgrade XP required to get everything (already at Epic) to Mk XV. 48,000,000 / 12,500 = 3,840 Superior Upgrades needed to make this happen. So, at 200k a pop, that's roughly 768,000,000 EC, and and 3,840,000 Dilithium. So, maybe your pockets are deeper than mine, but I still call that a 'financial disaster.'

Naturally, I will not need to upgrade everything at once; but to fully recover from this blow, making all my ships' gear up to speed again, will cost nothing short of a real fortune.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    As for the expansion itself, I'm a bit disappointed in it too. It would appear all good Jem ships to be had, are locked behind having to create a new Jem toon first, and finishing Mastery for each ship. Naturally, you will need gear and weps for this new toon as well (not counting that I can maybe borrow a few weps from one of my other toons). So, yeah, pardon me if I'm not too enthusiastic about it all.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I was trying not to think of the mathy details but that is ugly. Those phoenix upgrade packs just became a LOT more useful compared to crafted upgrade kits to help sooth that.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Phoenix_Universal_Tech_Upgrade

If I remember right it's 40,000 DIL for a pack of 20 which gets you at least 20 upgrade tokens though usually it's more depending on what tokens are inside. 1 upgrade = 52,000 tech points at a cost of 1000 DIL (from the initial purchase of crates). So for 20 you get at least 1,040,000 tech points for a total cost of 40,000 DIL. The amount of tech points can only go up assuming you get more higher quality tokens to trade.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
    nimbull wrote: »
    I was trying not to think of the mathy details but that is ugly. Those phoenix upgrade packs just became a LOT more useful compared to crafted upgrade kits to help sooth that.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Phoenix_Universal_Tech_Upgrade

If I remember right it's 40,000 DIL for a pack of 20 which gets you at least 20 upgrade tokens though usually it's more depending on what tokens are inside. 1 upgrade = 52,000 tech points at a cost of 1000 DIL (from the initial purchase of crates). So for 20 you get at least 1,040,000 tech points for a total cost of 40,000 DIL. The amount of tech points can only go up assuming you get more higher quality tokens to trade.

Yeah, I'm *really* hoping they're doing a Phoenix event before that. And then hopefully followed by an Upgrade Weekend.
    3lsZz0w.jpg