test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Changing/setting your title, why bother?

As some of you may know, you can set your title in the Personnel Record section for your character from a list of titles that character has earned. My question, why bother? I've not seen where it shows up anywhere. It doesn't change how your character is addressed by interactable NPCs. It seems like a waste of space to me.

What I would LIKE to see is something where changing your character's title changes how they are addressed by NPCs, and perhaps even the rank listed when someone else hits the info button. This would actually give this title field a reason to exist. Otherwise, I see it as useless.

Comments

• asdfjkadfjkasfasdfjkadfjkasf Member Posts: 345 Media Corps
    The titles are usually a bit of social or roleplay flavour, a lot of MMOs do it, and the titles range from serious to silly, as they do in STO. I don't think the title has ever been used by an NPC in any other MMO I have played, so that's probably why STO doesn't do it. I mean, some of the problems with dialog that would cause! "Chef Fleet Admiral Three of Seven, this is a great day for Starfleet!", and that's one of the more sane titles, I took that from this mission text https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_The_Odyssey_Class

So that was adding <title> <rank> <name> together, if you have <title> <name> it wouldn't be much better either. The player title is just something that is a bit for fun. I suppose adding a rank box that you'd like to be addressed by NPCs by, or when roleplaying might be a nice addition.

Eitherway, it's goofy, and a bit of a laugh, except for moist, too many captains are a bit moist, especially on Drozana...
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    Been asking for this for a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

Sure would be nice to be addressed as "Doctor So and So" or "Ambassador So and So" etc. Ranks ARE part of the title list - so NPCs could address me by the rank I choose not some arbitrary 'level' designation. It would be awesome to finally be called 'Captain So and So' by the NPCs after having the title (and wearing the pips) for 8 years!!
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    This is still my biggest wish list item for the last 8 years.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    The title hovers above your character's head along with your character name and your fleet/armada name if you so choose. Yes it's one of those features that would be nice. I would love for an NPC to refer to me as Professor or whatever other title I chose but this feature can't be monetized so it won't be implemented.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It's displayed for other players unless they turn it off. You can also choose to enable display of it on your own character if you want.

But yes, having NPCs address you by title would be awesome and frankly an obvious use of the feature.
  • asdfjkadfjkasfasdfjkadfjkasf Member Posts: 345 Media Corps

Sure would be nice to be addressed as "Doctor So and So" or "Ambassador So and So" etc. Ranks ARE part of the title list - so NPCs could address me by the rank I choose not some arbitrary 'level' designation. It would be awesome to finally be called 'Captain So and So' by the NPCs after having the title (and wearing the pips) for 8 years!!

But it's not just ranks that are in the titles, there are silly ones, as I mentioned, like "Torpedo Target" and "Moist", I don't think those would be too appropriate for NPCs to address you as, but I also don't think removing them would be fair.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

But it's not just ranks that are in the titles, there are silly ones, as I mentioned, like "Torpedo Target" and "Moist", I don't think those would be too appropriate for NPCs to address you as, but I also don't think removing them would be fair.
    They are as appropriate as the player asking to be addressed as such wants them to be.