test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hearts and Minds Discrepancy

The news post said event would run from around 6pm PT April 12th until around 6am PT Sunday, April 15th. The in game calendar says April 12th 8pm till April 14th 8am, which would seem to be the case.

Comments

• kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Timezones

Look again, pretty sure that's not a time zone discrepancy. There's nearly a 24 hour difference.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Depends on the time zones, I'm pretty sure some areas have time zone differences even bigger than 24 hours.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    Depends on the time zones, I'm pretty sure some areas have time zone differences even bigger than 24 hours.
    Not really; there are only 24 time zones around the planet, as there are only 24 hours in an Earth day. Usually, times are given in terms of server time, which is UTC-7 (the US is currently in the grip of Daylight Saving Time, apparently; from November to March, when we're using Standard Time, it's zone -8).

Doesn't answer that discrepancy question, of course.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Not really; there are only 24 time zones around the planet, as there are only 24 hours in an Earth day. Usually, times are given in terms of server time, which is UTC-7 (the US is currently in the grip of Daylight Saving Time, apparently; from November to March, when we're using Standard Time, it's zone -8).

Doesn't answer that discrepancy question, of course.

I got that bit from here.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
    edited April 2018

Time zones are pretty much irrelevant here, as events posted in news are always Pacific Time. The event ended earlier than was posted, 24 hours earlier.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User

Time zones are pretty much irrelevant here, as events posted in news are always Pacific Time. The event ended earlier than was posted, 24 hours earlier.

The calendar had the right time for it. It always does, in fact. The blog post about it and the banner ad in the launcher were wrong. Blog posts about it have been wrong since at least January of 2017. I can't find blog posts for the times that it ran in 2016, but the last one for 2015 was correct.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    the ad banner was wrong...ingame calender showed the correct duration
    Go pro or go home
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It's called a "typo." :D

Plus timezones.
    warpangel wrote: »

Plus timezones.

It was a typo or some other form of miscommunication the first time, now it's just copy and paste carrying it on. It has nothing to do with time zones at all. Times in the blog and the banner ad are in Pacific time for both start and finish.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    Miscommunication happens all the time with this game. I remember the first Mirror event for console stated the I.S.S. Stadi as a prize. Problem? The event predated the launch of Admiralty by a month or two so there was no means of actually obtaining the ship card. You had to appeal Support after Admiralty launched in order to get the card.

These things happen, and happen alot.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
    That was also a copy and paste problem. They just regurgitated the same information from the then-recent run of Mirror Invasion on PC.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Timezones

29051444.jpg memegenerator.es
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    anodynes wrote: »

Plus timezones.

It was a typo or some other form of miscommunication the first time, now it's just copy and paste carrying it on. It has nothing to do with time zones at all. Times in the blog and the banner ad are in Pacific time for both start and finish.
    The 14th -> 15th was a typo. The 6pm -> 8am is timezones. Because in-game the calendar shows local time.
    Judging by the OP's later posts, the the 8 instead of 6 part was understood. The discrepancy was the extra day in the blog post. It's unlikely that it's a typo, actually, because it's a double mistake. It says both Sunday and the 15th. 15th alone would be a typo, both together is more likely someone being given the wrong information about the duration of the event and then including it in the blog. The same mistake recurring for 4 straight runs of this, including the Halloween run, which starts and ends on different days, is a willful repetition of the same error.
  • stormstryke2stormstryke2 Member Posts: 252 Arc User

Plus timezones.

The 14th -> 15th was a typo. The 6pm -> 8am is timezones. Because in-game the calendar shows local time.

When it says ends 6 am Pacific time, there is not conversion needed. That is a specific time. Right now it's 11:02 am pacific time. That doesn't change just because you are in another time zone what time it is pacific time.
    Judging by the OP's later posts, the the 8 instead of 6 part was understood. The discrepancy was the extra day in the blog post. It's unlikely that it's a typo, actually, because it's a double mistake. It says both Sunday and the 15th. 15th alone would be a typo, both together is more likely someone being given the wrong information about the duration of the event and then including it in the blog. The same mistake recurring for 4 straight runs of this, including the Halloween run, which starts and ends on different days, is a willful repetition of the same error.

A cookie for you! Someone finally gets it. When players log in, they see the banner ads. These absolutely need to be accurate and correspond with the calendar. Anything less is not acceptable.

Plus timezones.

When it says ends 6 am Pacific time, there is not conversion needed. That is a specific time. Right now it's 11:02 am pacific time. That doesn't change just because you are in another time zone what time it is pacific time.
    What part of "in-game the calendar shows local time" did you not understand?
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Just know that the discrepancy between the In-game Calendar and the News Blog for 'Hearts and Minds' has been consistent for a couple of years now.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    [Mod Hat] The event having been over for almost a week, I think this thread has run its course. [/Mod Hat]
    Blank+_1faf480825478c5762dc028c8e202a60.gif
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
This discussion has been closed.