test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The tragic tale of a popup notification

I use the exchange every time I play STO. That's the first thing I do, check all my listings. It's just another fun minigame, really, and yet underneath the surface lies the potential for soul-crushing disaster.

https://imgur.com/2GLFMcH

This game is great, the exchange, a fun virtual economy. Despite that, its missing something. There's a process to selling items, you drag the item from your inventory into the slot, you type in an amount, and click "post". While that might sound good in theory, its flawed. Recently, I unboxed a T6 ultra rare ship pack from the infinity lockbox. I couldn't believe it, outside of some various event stuff that one of the rarest items in the game. I didn't need the ship, but oh baby these things sell for somewhere around 300 million energy credits. I rushed to the exchange, fired up that post button, and then realized what I'd done. But it was too late.

https://imgur.com/kblzVsu

I misplaced a digit. One number cost me 280 million energy credits. While this is hilariously stupid, its also tragically real. If you or your loved ones out there have made a similar mistake, feel free to share your horror stories. If not, then let this serve as a cautionary tale, and also as a suggestion. Cryptic. Please. Add some sort of yes/no button after you've clicked post.

PS Klavek if your out there, I don't blame you.

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Yikes!!! My condolences.

Take your time with gigantic transactions, Dude!
    They added commas to the price box to make it easier on us.

They won't add any extra confirmations because they don't seem to be able to "afford" the time it takes on the servers (or the extra bandwidth???) it takes for acks back and forth between the server and us. Looking at: Colony Coffers that won't refresh in real time.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    You already have a confirmation button, it's labelled "post". You have all the time in the world to double, triple, quadruple check that you are selling the item you meant to, that you are selling the quantity you meant to, and that you have set the price correctly before you hit that "post" button. Although I have never made a 230M mistake, I have on more than one occasion sold something at a 90% discount by leaving off a final 0, although that hasn't happened since they added the commas to the prices.
    Much as I sympathize, why should Cryptic add even more server load, and force every exchange user to have to deal with yet another popup and mouse click for every posting just because a few individuals occasionally don't double check their stuff before hitting post ?
    Besides, most people who don't have the patience to make sure everything is correct before hitting post are going to have even less patience with having to deal with an added step per transaction. I can guarantee that if Cryptic did add a confirmation popup to exchange postings, these forums would be promptly flooded by users complaining about having another, unnecessary step added to the posting process. Heck, they already come in here and complain if server load causes more than a few milliseconds delay in response times. (I might have exaggerated that list bit, but not by much)
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png