test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Do You Think? The Renegade's Regret

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
Post your feedback for the new Featured Episode, The Renegade's Regret, here!

Comments

• nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    not bad, reminded me of in the pale moonlight. in fact it pretty much shout that it was based on it. that is not a bad thing.

I do like the reward aren't yet another big set, the console look solid. no interest in the traits be I see them having some use. I have enough swords... I may get it anyway.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    I liked the concept of this mission, playing as Neth Parr, but the writing was really weak. I was hoping we'd have more insight into why the Tzenkethi leadership thought genocide to be preferable to leaving any Drantzuli alive, information about the Hur'q that the alliance lacked, or just a completely different sense of morality... But, there's none of that, or it isn't made clear. This is just the story of a Badmiral and a Captain overly loyal to him. I wish we got the option to chew out Neth Parr at the end of the mission.

Also, on the technical side, keybinds were completely non-functional for me during this. I'm a clicker in space, so that didn't bother me, but I use binds on ground and that portion of the mission wasn't very fun without them. Switching the shooter mode helps on ground, at least, but it's not possible to do any of the interacts while in shooter mode... At least the power trays aren't a jumbled mess like they are in previous missions that put you in a different ship. I also didn't like how we couldn't view the gear on the ship this time around, not that it's really all that important.

-edit-

Oh, and the mission removes any powers granted by gear from the tray. Console clickies, kit modules, etc.
  • generalkertag#2364 generalkertag Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    I think the episode is interesting, although forcing players to commit simulated genocide is kinda scary....also, why did you mess up the ship weapons control system? i cant figure out how to make it work correctly, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it before this update. Please fix it so that it works right.
    2j4zi3k.jpg

• saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    It was good to see some background on why she betrayed her captain. Even with all the dialogue, it felt fairly short. Not bad guys.
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    I thought it was an excellent mission, with some good writing and voice acting. I really felt for the innocent NPCs I was forced to kill - probably the most emotionally intense mission you guys have done. Well done.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Didn't feel right wiping those civvies out, maybe instead there should have been an option to spare them because it was a dishonorable act to shoot down unarmed civilian ships.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
      No complaints from me.
    • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
      when this whole thing with the tzenkethi started, i saw heavy parallels between their crusade and the early protoss crusade against the zerg at the start of the great war...and having seen the crusade through neth parr's eyes - those parallels are even stronger than ever​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • mattaukettmattaukett Member Posts: 190 Arc User
      Interesting mission which gives an interesting perspective from and different point of view on recent events. However the mission felt a touch short in some of its development of the general plot and maybe could have done with a little more fleshing out of Neth Parr's background and why she'd turn on the Tzenkethi. We see a few instances of things that we as Starfleet/KDF would find unacceptable such as killing a load of civilians - but we've not really the background on the Tzenkethi to understand what they as a species consider acceptable behaviours and that give more perspective on why Neth Parr did what she did - i.e. like us killing civilians for little or no reason or not saying your soldiers might not be generally accepted practice in Tzenkethi culture like it wouldn't be in the Federation and therefore gives weight to Neth Parr did what she did.

Story wise, the security officer being called Ro and also referencing a Chief Ro is interesting (and I assume a deliberate act in preparation for the expansion), although as I ran through I wasn't sure if this was a naming error or not (Chief Ro has one of their family working for them as an Officer - seemed almost like someone was going to have officer Ro but then decided to change them to be the chief with some other random officer added in?).

First space combat fight was way too easy (even on medium difficulty), everything just melted under my weapons fire. However the new auto-fire changes were a pain for this fight (first space combat after the changes) as autofire just engaged any target that entered range which isn't how my autofire works and meant a lot of messing with settings post fight (which hopefully now work as I want).

Biggest issue with the mission though is that like other missions that let you take on a special ship (other FE's) or character (Borg Drone in the Competitive Wargames) the mission made a mess of my ability trays after I finished the mission (things missing etc) and I had to rebuild the tray which spoils an otherwise good mission.
    • yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
      It really surprised me that the Tzenkethi have animated jaws. I'm not used to moving mouths in this game :smiley:
    • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
      lackluster for an episode honestly. it don't cover much at all in the episode that isn't already known.

However the devs may have dropped the ball on one point; that Ro Laren is ovbiously involved somehow hinting that Michelle Forbes is playing that character for Victory is life. No way a throw away bajoran character would just drop just a hint like that.
      T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
      Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
      Messing up both ground and space trays make me not want to bother doing this on other characters. Maybe I will if I'm really in the mood to reset the trays again.

The episode overall wasn't too bad. Once again, though, the bad guy is over-the-top, one dimensional villain. And the last few story arcs have followed exactly the same patterns with regards to characters.
    • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
      Well, or they just included a Ro because why not have Michelle have a daughter or son?

As for the episode, story-wise it was okay, I think. Nothing surprising though. Revisiting the place of the first mission in the arc was a nice touch, and graphics were great once more.

Gameplay wise it was less well in my eyes, for some almost unaivoidable reasons when we are talking "playing as somebody/someship else", namely the complete absence of any meaningful tactics or similar.

Rewards are nice: as has been said, not a set, so you can pick your preferences in the long run.

Personally though, while I understand it was intentional to show the gruesome realities and we're only replaying a memory and not as ourselves, this genociding isn't something I like to play. I will always avoid it in games where I can, even if losing out on replay value that way (think Megaton in Fallout 3 - never blew that bomb).

So for me personally the least enjoyable mission in the whole lineup, which is not a professional critique, but this mission wasn't made for me.
      My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      I liked it a lot more than I expected it.

It was nice learning a bit more about the Tzenkethi, and it made good use from the fact that we were playing an NPC with her personal bridge officers/away team. Having the "main character" actually speak instead of just being a mute person is neat, and it created the opportunity to put some life in to the characters. As much as was reasonably possible within 3 minutes of gameplay, one could feel to care about the fate of the people, something that's never really possible with our regular Bridge Officers with their generic officer "dialog" not even supported by voice acting .
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
      I might make one point about the writing: according to the latest fiction blog, Steadfast is a capital ship. In-mission, the ship is a Shuk-din.

Unless the Tzenkethi literally have a capital named Steadfast somewhere, there is no definition I am aware of by which Steadfast could be considered a capital ship.

Not to knock Cryptic's writers, but mistakes like that kind of hurt suspension of disbelief.
      edited April 2018
      technically...anything that isn't classed as a strike craft (or small craft here) is a capital ship - that includes frigates like the shuk-din​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      technically...anything that isn't classed as a strike craft (or small craft here) is a capital ship - that includes frigates like the shuk-din​​

Not by any real-world standard I'm familiar with, they aren't. Nuclear submarines are kind of considered such these days, given their strategic significance, but I've never heard of frigates being called cap ships.
      edited April 2018
      they are in most sci-fi series and video games; star wars? capital ships: star trek? capital ships: homeworld? lowest tier of capital ship you get access to - frigate​​

#LegalizeAwoo

they are in most sci-fi series and video games; star wars? capital ships: star trek? capital ships: homeworld? lowest tier of capital ship you get access to - frigate​​

Then I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. There is, as far as I can determine, no historical context to include small, fragile ships under the definition of capital ship. And the Shuk-din is very much a small, fragile ship.

"Most sci-fi series" doing it doesn't make it make sense. It just means all too many sci-fi writers have utterly failed to do their research.

Regardless, this is getting off-topic, and I don't expect my criticism to actually be taken seriously by the devs, so I'll leave it at that.
    • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
      MOAR!
      2gdi5w4mrudm.png
      Typhoon Class please!
    • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
      It would not be Cryptic if they did something good and bad at the same time. Playing for the NPC is great (Tzenkethi are murdering madmen), but after returning to my character, some of my abilitis disappeared from the tray. So I do not play it again until they fixes it.
    • joeykoricjoeykoric Member Posts: 117 Arc User
      Nice Episode. I would replay it on multiple toons or multiple times on a single toon, if not for the power tray issues. First the power trays are locked and you cannot move the powers around to best suit your play style. Second once you have completed the mission and return to sector space, you main power tray is suddenly missing consoles and weapons, in some cases the were missing all together and in other cases they were switched with other items in the power tray.

I really do not want to replay missions if I have to keep resetting my power tray after the mission. All that said, I did enjoy the mission. Hoping we get more back story with future episodes and from the new expansion.
      Fleet Admiral Zach Caldwell
      Commanding Officer, Strategic Starfleet Operations
    • akilaganakilagan Member Posts: 40 Arc User
      I love Star Trek i always have for a real long time. Saddened that Cryptic went the genicide route with this mission. I know that star trek has always been about the current times of the real world and all but did you have to shove it in our faces like this.
    • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
      edited April 2018
      I actually lost track of a ship in the asteroid field and had to go looking for it which was cool/fun. I would like to see a battlezone include something like that.

Did not like the auto fire at all. Soooo lame.

I don’t understand all the sensitive complaining on the genocide aspect of the story. It’s a flippin story in a universe that’s pretty violent!
    • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
      edited April 2018
      Officer Ro got told something by another officer called Chief Ro! Guess thats the bajoran equivalent of Smith then

Security office map was badly scaled with how claustrophobic the whole area looked compared to odo's office in the show and of course the size of the tzenkethi they somehow managed to shoehorn through the door and passage into the cell that barely fit her.

Why does geordi say to give her a "shake" rather than the more recognisable "chance"?

I ask the person locked in behind the forcefield to come on out, as if they could do anything about that situation!

Neth parr displays the same fixation with my characters body odour as martok when I find myself turning around to stare straight at where there might be a nipple had the world not gone totally mad with political correctness and denial over body parts.

Obviously the reason they sworn enemies with the klingons stems from a total disregard for personal space.

Sleepwalking through the "combat" which offered zero challenge, granted it was done that way for story purposes but it was just dull. The ship was specific to this mission so could surely had have something other than aim here and afk while the autofire does its thing.

Did the ground mission have to rehash the 50creds gag?

Examining a pillar with no visible diraction markings and apparently this lamppost points down the road. Not just a case of its a lamp post and the road no junctions.

Primitives with spears lasted longer in the clunky combat than the spaceships from the last planet. Is this world the true source of the honoured dead klinks coat their ships with?

Couldn't leave temple because the moron dropped the bomb on my foot locking me in place because for some reason neth cant jump over it. Reset the ground phase and sadly you can't rush it as the asthmatic heffalumps in your away team have to plod along at the same pace.

Where is the insane jumping distance and oversized melee hitbox that sends folk flying across a room? The kethi we fought could have cleared that map in a single leap and smash. No power packs or cloak drones, none of the cool stuff, just some really weedy death by tickle lightshow.

Bombs are planet killers, as shown in the previous mission so why did we have to go inside the temple other than to revisit an old mission map in its entirety and notice a vulcan on a mural that lacks pointy ears.

Last planet was very predictable in how that played out.

LOTRO has had session play for years, dev for this would have done well to look at those small episodes for how to work playing as another specific character into a narrative.

As a first attempt at this kind of thing it could have been worse but as with a lot of the writing and story in STO it could have been a lot better.