test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Long cooldown abilities (especially clicky consoles)

Let me start by comparing a random clicky console, spatial charge launcher, to a very good console many people would have. let's see what you get for a slot comparatively.

2-10 KM range
2 min recharge
27000 damage maximum per target assuming every charge is a direct hit with 50% shield penetration, so call that 13500 damage max per target.
no passive effect or stats

bioneural infusion circuits

+28.1 hull cap
+28.1 CTRLX
+25% critical severity

part of a set which has even more bonuses
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

so if i take bioneural, i get +25% critical severity. i don't know if this translates as literally 25% after every other stat is applied, but that's still a big amount for a console. admittedly, this is one of the best consoles for this stat, but it's sort of illustrating my point. how much damage is actually guaranteed by increasing CRTD by a whopping 25%? quite a bit probably. i also have thousands more hitpoints and resistance to control effects.

but if i take the spatial charge, what do i get? 13500 damage every two minutes per target. (when my critical hits can potentially hit several times that pretty regularly) i might be able to increase that by firing into a bunch of enemies at once, but i have spread or fire at will for that, and the biggest issue is that the charges will miss the same way tzenkethi do with their similar spatial charge attack.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SUMMARY/TL;DR

every clicky console, including mycellium ambush, fluidic ambush, the new tractor beams, all of that stuff, should be made passive and constantly active, OR be given enough passive stats to actually rival bioneural infusion circuits for usefulness.

alternatively, their durations could simply be increased from about 5s currently, to 60s. the problem with the consoles is that you can use them a couple of times in a PVE and then they're useless the rest of the time. if i could fire spatial charges 50% of the time, i might consider actually sacrificing my CRTD to spam spatial charges.

otherwise, what's the point in them?

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Honestly, that's mostly to blame on the extreme powercreep of the last couple years.
    Back when those consoles were introduced it was basically another game. DPS wasn't as high, the amount of hitpoints was way lower, abilities couldn't be spammed like crazy and we didn't have a million passive effects running 24/7.
    At some point the spatial charge launcher was a good console but it just couldn't keep up with the increasing powercreep that cryptic pushes so hard. Even the BIC wasn't as good as it is now, it was a nice console but not on that level. It was stuck with the stats you got from the store, then cryptic added the upgrading system and now you can a give a already solid console a 60% stat increase just because.
    That's what cryptic does, what every MMO dev does to some extent. Add stronger stuff to make the old things obsolete and let people pay for it. Be it in ingame ressources, premium currency or just plain old game time in the last surviving sub based MMOs.
  • avnas#3702 avnas Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    Honestly, that's mostly to blame on the extreme powercreep of the last couple years.
    Back when those consoles were introduced it was basically another game. DPS wasn't as high, the amount of hitpoints was way lower, abilities couldn't be spammed like crazy and we didn't have a million passive effects running 24/7.
    At some point the spatial charge launcher was a good console but it just couldn't keep up with the increasing powercreep that cryptic pushes so hard. Even the BIC wasn't as good as it is now, it was a nice console but not on that level. It was stuck with the stats you got from the store, then cryptic added the upgrading system and now you can a give a already solid console a 60% stat increase just because.
    That's what cryptic does, what every MMO dev does to some extent. Add stronger stuff to make the old things obsolete and let people pay for it. Be it in ingame ressources, premium currency or just plain old game time in the last surviving sub based MMOs.

they should update this old content to be passive abilities rather than 2 minute cooldowns. broadside emitters as a passive would be amazing.
  • bindingchainsbindingchains Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Take the Zen T3 universal ship console, called Barrier Field Generator for example. It is a 2 mins cooldown console that only does create a force field (about the side of the Tholian web) for 15 seconds.. and THATS IT! No passive bonus, nothing, just a console that creates a physical shield for 15 seconds every 2 minutes!

Its absurd if you compare with the new consoles out there. But back in the day this console existed, alongside spatial charge launcher, consoles cooldowns were calculated based on its efficiency, if I remember right this one had 45 seconds cooldown. Im probably the only player that still use this console nowdays, I dont care about DPS, I care about FUN ships, but at some point Cryptic became lazy and tought it would be a great idea make all consoles share the same 2 minutes cooldown, less work for them!

Im not asking to add passives to this console, Im pointing out a important fact. There used to have a balance between fun and efficiency, this balance doesnt exist anymore. Its ALL about DPS, but Im sure a lot of players would sacrifice DPS if this console (and many others) had a shorter cooldown, console slots are sacred and sacrificing one for a 2 minutes cooldown ability you might not use most situations is asking too much for most players.

Imagine how fun it would be if people could build efficient ships from console abilities? Even if they would sacrifice a lot DPS they could build awesome support ships, making barriers, disabling ships, teleporting away, dropping barrages of missiles, etc.. but unfortunately these are just "cosmetic" these days, and everyone is left with just one possible build, DPS DPS DPS DPS DPS DPS. Thats how this game should be called, "Star DPS online".
    Post edited by bindingchains on